Study: female gamers receive three times as much trash talking

Friday, 15th February 2013 01:30 GMT By Brenna Hillier

An Ohio University study has found that female gamers are likely to cop way more flack than their male counterparts. In a report published on Gamasutra and other sites, researchers said they observed female-identified Halo 3 players receive up to three times as many negative reactions than male or unidentified players to general, friendly comments. You can learn more about the methodology employed here. The study’s findings match plenty of others made over the years, like this one from September 2012.

Thanks, The PA Report.

1. DSB

The Farmville community is notoriously fierce.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Hunam

Irony, thy name is DSB.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Kabby

They also spend three times longer in the bathroom. Hey-oooooooh.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Telepathic.Geometry

You don’t have to look far to see plenty of sexism in the games industry. I think though that those kinds of people are not exclusively sexist, they’re anti-everyone who is a girl, old, not skilled or in some other transparent way, not part of their group.

In other words, they’re just cunts.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Kabby

Your final sentence betrays your post’s intentions.

#5 1 year ago
  6. TD_Monstrous69

Hey, it the sad-but-true story of the century. Hearing about the vitriolic behavior that female gamers get online is saddening, to put it mildly. Not to sound like the white-knighting male gamer here, but I’m gonna hope that as the next-generation transition starts to take place, more people adopt the new consoles, and as people play online playing whatever the next popular game online will be next-gen (because lets face it, COD isn’t gonna be on top forever), that 2 things happen:
    1.) People become more involved with reporting complete douche-bags whose near-sole existence online is to play online with no regard for decency and respect to other people playing, and just trying to have a good time.
    2.) Developers/Publishers step up in filtering out these players (as well as underage players), so online experiences aren’t hindered by these douche-bags.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Yoshi

Here’s an interesting study. When studies contain such words along the lines of sexism, men and women people don’t disregard the study. But when studies contain such words like violence, guns and games then people instantly rage and disregard it.

So what makes the first example any better than the other.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Mineral4r7s

This nonsense about sexism really annoys me. How do people even know their opposite is a woman? Duhh. Maybe they just behave like shit and get shit back. huh? anyone ever thought about that? No? why? because you get accused of being sexist. God damn people stop seeing sexists everywhere. Its like the southpark episode with the drama about the southpark flag. It is becoming redicilous, even Borderlands 2 nowadays gets accused of being sexist. Whats wrong with everyone?

2 girls I know, I sometimes play brawler games with them… I am nothing compared to the rage they can exhibit.

So I don’t see any problems here just some pre-puberty people talking nonsense.

So now please stop defending the helpless girls I am fully aware that they can really well defend themselves.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Brenna Hillier

@8 If you read the linked articles, you’ll see they recorded responses to female-voiced gamers, male-voiced gamers and non-speaking gamers. All three made the same comments in-game. The female-voiced gamers got three times as many negative comments as male-voiced and neutral-voiced.

I’m going to take a punt here and say you’re a guy. It’s okay that you find it hard to recognise sexism; fish don’t have a word for water, man. But you’ve got to let the discussion go on or you’ll never be anything but wet. Humanity’s got to climb out on dry land and evolve eventually.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Vice

Hell, I’m a sexist and can’t stand female gamers, yet I never say anything to them, unless they absolutely step the line. I just hate and avoid them quietly.
    But yeah, in most cases you can spot female instantly: she’s either that retarded friendly slut in general chat, or a no less retarded but whiny bitch in your guild chat. Those women who have brain capacity to act and talk normal often even find their place among my friends.
    In most cases women are to blame for this situation, really. Don’t start gender talk yourself (we really don’t need to know what is between your legs; my dick is here in Moscow and you’re probably in Britain or even USA, so I really don’t care!) and don’t whine, and you’ll have no problems.

#10 1 year ago
  11. stalepie

Guys never like men around when they’re doing their hobbies… nothing new to that at all or specific to video games. Read Lionel Tiger, like “Men in Groups,” “The Imperial Animal,” or watch “Home Improvement.” Probably every episode of that show has some remark by Tim Allen about how guys don’t like having women around when they’re in the garage.

Here’s a good set of clips: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCPkNHh5mI0
    You don’t need a scientific study after watching that.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Clupula

@9 – I actually imagine that if fish do have words, they probably have many words for water, just like how Eskimos have a ton of words for snow.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Clupula

Anyway, on to the subject at hand: I think it just comes down to boys not wanting girls in their clubhouse. It’s sad, but not unexpected. I see the same thing in any sort of male-dominated subculture. It’s why it’s still considered a big deal if a girl is a talented drummer in a metal band, for example. Because there are so many men completely unwilling to let women in.

Now, I’m not one who feels that games should be changed to be more accommodating (I’m the first one to say that I think it’s ridiculous when people start complaining about, for example, the dialogue in Arkham City), BUT when a woman wants in, I think she should be welcomed. I know, myself, I’ve made several women who weren’t gamers into people who now love it. Unfortunately, there’s a bunch of a sad, insecure little boys out there who would have gone out of their way to make them feel like they didn’t belong if they had gone to them, instead of me, and I think those type of guys probably outnumber guys like myself.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Telepathic.Geometry

Every time we have a thread about sexism on VG24/7, I’m always left equal measures flabbergasted, embarrassed, disappointed and depressed. :/

#14 1 year ago
  15. G1GAHURTZ

Anyone who thinks that there will ever be a time where boys stop acting like idiots around girls has totally failed to understand basic human nature.

That this sort of thing OBVIOUSLY happens doesn’t make it right, but fooling yourself into believing that the smell of food to a starving person shouldn’t make him hungry is childish naivity at best.

#15 1 year ago
  16. manamana

G1GA, you made my day. Best metaphor since the rise of the interwebs. :-D

#16 1 year ago
  17. roadkill

@4 I’m a cunt.

#17 1 year ago
  18. G1GAHURTZ

@16:

Glad to be of service!

#18 1 year ago
  19. silkvg247

Though you might be blind to it if you are male, there is extra aggro when you’re a woman. I don’t need a study to tell me that. It’s why I just go gender-less in most games and only go on comms if it’s a trusted community e.g. my wow guild. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not soft and I can deal with the kids throwing shit my way, but I’m too old to listen to it, it makes me weep for humanity to hear it, so I’d rather just tune it out.

I think it happens because gaming is seen to be a man’s thing, a retreat exclusive to them where they don’t have to worry about anything other than putting a bullet in the next guy’s head. A woman invading their game probably feels invasive and puts them on the defensive, so they try to protect their territory by acting aggressively to make the female leave.

It’s just a theory of course. It’s a shame in either case, because like I’ve said before, gaming is the one place where both genders do have full equality.

#19 1 year ago