Resident Evil: Revelations gets Hunk gameplay trailer, new screens

Thursday, 14th February 2013 10:19 GMT By Dave Cook

Resident Evil: Revelations has received a new gameplay trailer in honour of its incoming release on Wii U, PC, PS3 and Xbox 360. The clip shows unlockable fan-favourite Hunk as he tears apart creatures with his shotgun. There’s also a batch of new screens of the HD offering.

Yesterday we reported that the game wouldn’t support WiiMote control on Wii U, and we also reported that the Japanese special edition comes with a wrist watch. See the bundle here.

Here’s the screens:

Thanks AGB.

1. SameeR_Fisher

This game is going to be awesome.

you know it feels so much like Resident Evil 3 which is a very good thing.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Edo

It’s coming for PC too dude…just sayin’.

#2 1 year ago
  3. alimokrane

It’s a shame Resident Evil 6 did not take a few pointers from this game. This is looking like the must have last resident evil of this generation.

#3 1 year ago
  4. YoungZer0

@3: If it would, it probably would’ve been a bigger disaster.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Ignatius_Cheese

Just to clarify, that video is not from the campaign. Its probably from Raid Mode or a new game mode for this release.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Yasser

The only thing i did not like in this game is how monsters look like as they are very stupid and of course not terrifying.

Sorry but i have to say that (Resident Evil Series) will not be the same again this is the truth.

There will be more horror games coming that will beat for sure every future resident evil game.

THANKS DAVE.

#6 1 year ago
  7. absolutezero

Fucking Rachel Jesus Christ leave me alone.

#7 1 year ago
  8. naffgeek

Sold to the Resi 4 lover!!

#8 1 year ago
  9. salarta

Nice sneer lip there in picture 2, Jill.

As I’ve said, looking forward to this game, glad they’re emphasizing Jill. However, I still think that this doesn’t count as making up for her exclusion from RE6 in any way, as it was released before RE6 as a spinoff sidegame on a portable device and without all the hyping up that RE6 received. So, looking forward to Revelations, going to buy it, but as far as I feel Jill still needs to star in RE7 with Claire.

#9 1 year ago
  10. YoungZer0

Never pleased.

What’s with your obsession with Jill? She hardly has any character.

#10 1 year ago
  11. salarta

@10: What’s with your obsession with saying every character I like is bad in some way?

I only come off as “obsessed” with the character because when I take issue with how a character is treated poorly by a company, it tends to be something that really sticks out for me. It wasn’t until RE5 did a terrible job with how she was used from the Jill fight on after that I started saying much of anything with regard to Jill. I played RE4, loved it, saw the announcement for RE5, felt it was an okay experience aside from its faults. I also played Umbrella Chronicles on Wii, and while I didn’t make a big deal out of it, I rolled my eyes in annoyance that the team behind the game decided that the introduction to RE3′s chapter should be Jill nearly getting devoured by zombies and needing Carlos to come in and rescue her, while the moment in RE3 where Jill saves Carlos’ life never gets shown.

If the situation was reversed and Jill got treated like the best thing ever while Chris got treated like a nobody side character that only existed to make Jill look better, you’d be seeing me “obsessing” over Chris. Revelations, at least as far as I’ve seen, is a small step in the right direction, but I don’t feel it’s enough.

#11 1 year ago
  12. YoungZer0

@11: I didn’t say Jill was bad, but she hardly is a memorable character, as are most of the characters. That happens when you hire shitty writers.

I’d argue that the extra costumes in RE3 should’ve been a hint to where the series was going. It’s kind of confusing to me how you seem to think CAPCOM would change in that regard. It’s not a western company. They are not as open to player feedback. Not a single journalist seems to question them on that either. So why do expect to change it?

They created the character, it’s their property, they can do anything they like with it.

And you should be glad Jill and Claire weren’t in Resident Evil 6. The game made every character look like a fool. Especially Leon.

I’d rather see Claire make a return, simply because I’m still wondering what she’s doing.

#12 1 year ago
  13. salarta

@12: While I’d say that saying she “hardly has any character” counts as saying she’s a bad character (I only ever see people say a character “hardly has any character” if they’re trying to say the character sucks), I’ll leave it, since I feel what I’m saying would apply even if she was the worst character ever created. Saying she’s hardly memorable is wrong by objective measures though, given how many games she’s been in and how many lists about iconic video game characters she’s been on.

Even if she wasn’t memorable, she’s one of the most important and iconic characters of the whole franchise, so Capcom writing her horribly in RE5 and leaving her out of RE6 is an insult both to the character and the series’ history as a whole, just as it would be if they pulled the same stuff they did to Jill on Chris or Leon.

I always see people harp on how since a company was where a character was created or since a company owns the copyright on the character, that means whatever they do with the character is perfectly fine. That’s not true. They may have the legal right to do anything they want, and to get paid for it, but that does not make everything they do automatically appropriate and fair to the material. Only the people that actually created the character have that kind of authority, because they’re the only ones that understand every single thing about their own creation. A bunch of people coming into a company after the fact and demanding radical changes that the actual creators would loathe is not the same thing. But it seems like no matter how many examples I try to give, people like to pretend that absolutely anything is permitted no matter how stupid, insulting or ridiculous so long as the company that owns the copyright is making it. Next Resident Evil has Chris Redfield living the life of a circus clown and Leon getting turned into a bearded lady? Well, Capcom owns the rights, so it looks like it’s entirely appropriate and completely in character for them!

In theory, I should be glad Jill and Claire weren’t in RE6, but it was touted as the defining tribute game of Resident Evil’s anniversary, meaning their presence should have been mandatory no matter how they were depicted. If not for the whole “it’s the ultimate RE tribute for its anniversary” angle, leaving them out would have been fine just like it was for Claire not being in RE4. I admit I would have been a little annoyed, but I would’ve bought the game and probably enjoyed it. Besides, RE5 and RE:Degeneration already made Jill and Claire look like complete fools, I can’t imagine how the RE6 team could do any worse to them if they were in RE6 short of making them act like scared little girls that don’t know how to use guns that Chris and Leon need to rescue and protect throughout the game.

I completely agree with you that Claire needs to make a return. While I think both Jill and Claire should star in RE7 and deserve things done to make up for being written poorly these past few years, I think with the existence of Revelations, Claire is more deserving than Jill. You have no idea how many times I’ve seen people try to excuse Capcom not using her by acting as if where Capcom placed her (as part of TerraSave) in RE:Degeneration means she absolutely can never end up in a survival situation ever again under any circumstances. A lot of those same people also talk about Capcom’s story decisions as if the story was pre-ordained by some higher power and Capcom had no choice but to write it the way they did.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Rafa_L

@salarta I agree with you, just because a company have rights over something, doesn’t mean that they’ll make good decisions, but maybe what YoungZer0 meant was that there is no point getting worked up because of it, since it’s out of our control.

In some ways, it’s good that developers listen to the audience and some are willing to adapt the material, but sometimes trying to hard to please everybody or not listening at all can ruin everything, in the end we have to count with the good sense and competence of developers.

Unfortunately, I don’t expect anything anymore from the RE series, I played their games a lot, but as I get older I can’t stand japanese developers anymore, I know I’m generalizing, but the majority I know is kind of the same. I could’nt even finish the demo for RE 6… So sad.

I can’t say much about personalities, for me all of them are kind of the same, with no depth, but Jill is definately the most remarkable one for me. Maybe it’s because she was in the firt game and in the 3, wich I think was the best, maybe it’s her looks, I don’t know, but I think she’s an important character. I also liked Leon… I’m getting nostalgic now hehe.

#14 1 year ago
  15. YoungZer0

@13: What I mean when I say she isn’t memorable is that there is nothing about her apart from her looks (which keep changing, just like with the rest of the cast) that separates her from the rest.

I think it’s fair to say that Leon and Claire are the only important characters of the franchise.

And I’m not just talking about RE5. Most if not all Resident Evil games had poor writing. Remember the Master of Unlocking? RE2, 3 weren’t good either, it was just not as bad as all the other games in the series.

“but it was touted as the defining tribute game of Resident Evil’s anniversary”

It was?

The way I see it, you wouldn’t be happy either way, so what does it matter. Saved yourself some money and a bad game.

“I can’t imagine how the RE6 team could do any worse”

Don’t underestimate them. Have you see the hospital gameplay of Sherry? There was no reason why she would be dressed like that.

“You have no idea how many times I’ve seen people try to excuse Capcom not using her by acting as if where Capcom placed her (as part of TerraSave) in RE:Degeneration means she absolutely can never end up in a survival situation ever again under any circumstances.”

Yeah, I refuse to take people serious who argue about the story of the Resident Evil games. I’m sorry but that’s just a waste of energy.

You know I HATE to bring it up again and we don’t have to go into it further, because I don’t want to derail this thread …

BUT this one of many reasons why the new DmC is a good thing. Even though you may not like the new game, if there is going to be new DmC, it will respect the established lore. There is no way DmC 2 is going to feature a coin flipping Dante in his 40.

I don’t know what it is, but Western developers seem to respect their established lore much more than Japanese developers. Look at Dead Space or Mass Effect. Compare them (story-wise) to Resident Evil and Final Fantasy.

Just look at ALL the inconsistencies of the Resident Evil titles. The characters look different nearly every time, the lore changes with every entry (RE0, WTF?), the voice-actors keep changing, the characters are either flat, dumb or keep changing. It all keeps changing.

There never was any respect for the franchise or the characters.

@14: Yep, we can’t change it, CAPCOM never tries to reach out to their fans. Even if they do, considering just how messed up RE6 was, I’d say that’s pretty much the last thing on their to-do List.

#15 1 year ago
  16. salarta

@14: If what YoungZer0 said was meant as no point getting worked up over something out of our control, then I can understand that sentiment, after all it’s fiction and there are much more important things to life. But at the same time, I do value fiction a lot, and I believe that being silent or not being vocal enough about not liking something amounts to supporting what you don’t like as a consequence. Staying silent means one person’s perspective is left unsaid, meaning the directly opposite opinion can thrive even if nobody agrees with it. It’s why the Republican party in the United States political system has gotten more and more radical these past few years. I also think that being vocal about complaints means that if enough people share them, companies will ultimately have to listen, whether by being conscientious and caring about pleasing their consumers (ideal situation) or because not doing so could lead to anything from reduced revenue to bankruptcy.

I agree that a balance needs to be struck between doing what fans want and what the team or company wants. Right now, I put far more weight on the fans than the companies because over the past half a decade, the big companies have proven themselves to have little or no respect for their own intellectual property, making the fans a far better judge of what’s right for an IP than the companies. There have been a few video game releases by big name companies where the story was done so poorly that I genuinely felt hiring an amateur fanfiction writer off the internet would have led to better results, because at least most fanfiction writers have a fair understanding of the material due to being fans. The one notable exception I can think of at the moment is, as I keep mentioning for various subjects, Mortal Kombat 9. The story mode in that game was done very well (for the type of game it is; it would be absurd to try and suggest it was trying to be like some great literary work put into a video game format), and I was glad to see it put to use since that series had so much untapped potential in its lore.

I don’t blame you for generalizing about Japanese developers with how poorly old IPs have been treated this generation. Most (but not all) of the ones making games from existing IPs these days seem to be using the power they’ve been given to force their wild fantasies onto the IP, essentially getting paid to create interactive fanfiction that’s officially sanctioned by the company. Right now, as much as Capcom has my ire and low expectations, it’s not as bad as how little I think of Squeenix. After 3rd Birthday, I have so little faith in Squeenix that the only way they could surprise me is by making a spinoff or sequel that’s actually respectful to the source material. Squeenix could announce they were making guro hentai and I wouldn’t be shocked. There are no depths I do not think Squeenix would not sink to if they thought an idea they had would make money while keeping their company in business. For all Capcom’s flaws, and how badly it’s treated characters like Jill and Claire, I would (at least for now) actually be shocked if they made anything as deplorably insulting and sexist as 3rd Birthday.

#16 1 year ago
  17. absolutezero

I forgot what serious fucking business Resident Evil is.

RESIDENT EVIL. The game that says its own Goddamn title every time you hit start to begin the game.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Da Man

Good F grief!11

Does gamefaqs still accept user faqs? Some of you should write for them.

#18 1 year ago
  19. salarta

@15: I wouldn’t have been the happiest man alive with Jill and Claire left out of RE6 either way, BUT if the game wasn’t being touted as the main tribute game of the series’ anniversary, I would have bought it. And played it. And I might have even enjoyed it, given that I loved Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within while I see tons of people bashing that film.

Poor writing of past games doesn’t invalidate what those games did or established. And I feel that to suggest Chris and Jill aren’t important characters to the franchise, when they were the series’ very first playable characters, is ludicrous.

The hospital gameplay, I haven’t watched it, so please correct me if I’m entirely off base (or better yet, please give me a video link I can watch later today; better to ask you for it so I don’t mistakenly watch the wrong part), but from the media I saw of RE6, I would guess that the gameplay is Sherry trying to escape the hospital wearing nothing but a hospital gown. If that’s accurate, then she got treated better than Jill in Resident Evil 5, given that not only did Jill have to wear a skintight suit that hugged her every curve and showed her cleavage (fun fact: if you check the smaller Mercenaries mode icon for Jill in RE5, you can see the front of the suit was originally going to be unzipped all the way down to her navel), but Jill also spent the whole fight scurrying around and hissing like an animal in heat. And that’s not taking into account characterization; Sherry being in her right mind while escaping a hospital in a gown, or even nude, pales to Jill spending two years in the humiliating job of Wesker’s plaything and buttmonkey. And probably Excella’s too. Claire’s use in Degeneration isn’t nearly as bad as what happened to Jill, and what it sounds like happened to Sherry in RE6, but Sherry had being a main playable allowed to fight biohazards and use a gun for more than five seconds in her favor.

Reading your post about not arguing with people about story, you’re right. That’s probably a terrible side of me that I need to rein in more, no sense trying to argue with people that refuse to listen.

The thing with Western developers and respecting lore, is… most of the well-known Western games are ones made this generation. Video game franchises appear to suffer the same fate as popular film franchises; the first few are great, but soon enough, hacks come along with no grasp of the source material and no desire to even try to understand it. Of course, I can’t give you specific examples because you like DmC, and I’m pretty sure you’re among the people defending Tomb Raider too.

Pointing out the issues with Resident Evil inconsistency fits stuff like DmC and the new Tomb Raider, only difference being that Ninja Theory and Crystal Dynamics are getting free rides from some people for saying their games are “reboots” rather than sequels or prequels. You do make a lot of good points about non-sensical changes to Resident Evil, but I think the voice actors one is reaching too far, because you would have to expect voice actors to change over time. Sometimes a VA’s schedule is too tight, or they want too much money, aside from other obvious causes that nobody can help.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Rafa_L

@16 Salarta, I totally agree that opinions NEED to be expressed for the evolution of society, people may acuse fiction, video games or whatever as futile, but it’s part of our lives nonetheless and it matters, people just love to judge.

For exemple the mass effect ending drama, if people didn’t complain, there wouldn’t be a new ending, wich I think was important, but I think some people crossed the line, there is expressing your opinion and ranting, losing hair and health over it. I’m not acusing you of crossing the line when talking about the series and characters, of course not hehe, I’m just clarifying my opinion on “getting worked up” over stuff out of our control. Botton line, poeple must express themselves, but don’t let it get to them.

@19 I don’t agree that it’s a flaw to argue about anything as long as people keep it polite and know when to agree to desagree and back off. Maybe another day I would have skiped long comments, today I read yours and got to know more about RE based on your discution with young zero.

It’s off topic, but since you metioned it, I’m a big fan of tomb raider, and I agree with the reboot. Why don’t you?

#20 1 year ago
  21. salarta

@20: Yes, a lot of people like to think that story in video games has absolutely no value, but that’s mistaken. All fiction has an influence on society regardless of quality.

There are definitely people that go too far, and that’s disappointing. It’s important to vocalize one’s concerns, but no fictional character is worth threatening to kill or maim someone else. In really, really bad cases I think a good slap to the face may be warranted, but nothing more than that, because any further could cause real harm.

I disagree with the reboot of Tomb Raider mainly because of how it’s going to undo who she’s supposed to be as a character and completely change perception of her into her exact opposite. If we had the same naturally tough, smart, brave Lara, and if I wasn’t presently boycotting all things Squeenix until they clean up the insulting mess that is 3rd Birthday, then I’d have the Tomb Raider reboot preordered right now. I don’t like seeing Lara Croft, a character meant to be an icon of strong female protagonists given the same level of admiration and respect as male protagonists after getting past the sex appeal aspect, suddenly starting out as some horror film survivor girl that acts all weak and terrified at the slightest prospect of danger despite being a grown woman in her early 20s. Between depictions of Aya Brea, Samus Aran and now Lara Croft during this generation, I’ve started using the term “womanchild” to accurately describe female characters being written as starting out with the personalities of little girls while inhabiting adult bodies.

I can go too far sometimes when I get in discussions with other people, but I try to be polite. I just have trouble maintaining politeness when I’m regularly confronted with people online that are impolite in one form or another. And I’m sure I’m guilty of instigating it at some points from already being worked up elsewhere.

#21 1 year ago