Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex MMOFPS releasing 2014

Thursday, 14th February 2013 10:45 GMT By Dave Cook

Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex was announced a while back by developer NEOPLE. Publisher Nexon has now confirmed that the MMOFPS is due to launch in the first half of 2014.

In a new statement today, Nexon confirmed that the game was, “Developed as a first person shooter game featuring fierce hacking battles between cyborgs fighting over strategic resources.”

It added, “In addition to the dynamic gunfight action between cyborgs, the game also incorporates cyberization and various other concepts that are present in the original work. It also provides diverse contents such as cooperative battle mode, a new concept that integrates artificial intelligence with the player.”

If you haven’t seen Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, you should really give it a whirl. It’s a twisting cop drama set as a spiritual prequel to both feature films. It also has a rather amazing intro sequence:

Thanks to DXMTheMachine for the clip.

1. bitsnark

Hyped for this.

Just a minor note Dave regarding where you said it was set between the two films (GiTS and GiTS 2:Innocence) the TV show itself (as almost evidenced by its title) is seperate from those films and takes place in a parallel universe.

Its relative to those films in terms of theme and characters but otherwise it weaves an entirely unconnected narrative.

#1 1 year ago
  2. TD_Monstrous69

Definitely interested in seeing how this turns out. Loved the series, hope the game can do it justice.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Erthazus

ARISE: GITS announced by the way.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Dave Cook

@3 Yep, the trailer was ace.

#4 1 year ago
  5. BD

“If you haven’t seen Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, you should really give it a whirl. It’s a twisting cop drama set as a spiritual prequel to both feature films.”

This is not true.

Stand Alone Complex is the story which follows the manga, and as such is the “canon” storyline.

The films are an alternate universe setting, and are divorced entirely from the series.

#5 1 year ago
  6. friendlydave

Pretty stoked for this. Reminds me that I need to play the psp game sometime.

Loved SAC’s opening! Second opening was the best in my opinion.

#6 1 year ago
  7. GwynbleiddiuM

well I can’t see the video, it says the video contains content from Starz Media LLC which is blocked for outside UK. :<

#7 1 year ago
  8. friendlydave

@7 The video is just the intro to Stand Alone Complex.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Dave Cook

@8 Yeah. But what an intro :D

#9 1 year ago
  10. GwynbleiddiuM

Oh in that case I have seen it plenty before :D

#10 1 year ago
  11. salarta

I am hype.

I actually need to watch the anime, but still. I am hype.

#11 1 year ago
  12. absolutezero

Watch the first movie, watch the TV series in its entirety, do nothing else.

I have no idea what they were thinking with the new character designs for the next series, looks like such a mess of styles. Like they’ve looked at Kyoani and decided that they need to look like that in order to be considered contemporary. Pig disgusting.

#12 1 year ago
  13. salarta

@12: B-but what if I get tired, am I allowed to go to sleep? :P

Generally I don’t care enough about anime to get worked up over things like style, but after a quick Google search about the new series, I agree. In entirely objective terms, the art style is high quality, but it looks horrible to me in this case.

#13 1 year ago
  14. friendlydave

@12 I do not see the KyoAni resemblance at all :/ likes like a cross between the first movie and SAC to me.

Personally I think it looks fine.

#14 1 year ago