Ubisoft expects Wii U attach rate to improve

Wednesday, 13th February 2013 22:29 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Ubisoft has declared itself “satisfied” with the Wii U launch but is hoping some upcoming releases will improve the console’s sales generation capacity.

“Regarding Wii U, while we are satisfied by our market share in the US and Europe – at respectively 20% and 27% – our performance was impacted by low-tie ratios,” Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot told investors in a conference all post-financial release last week.

“Nintendo has recently announced the coming release of some of their great brands on Wii U, and we believe it will boost its potential.”

Nintendo platforms have acquired a reputation for being tough on third-party games over the last few generations, and Ubisoft is one of the few publishers to consistently throw its lot in with the big N at launch. Wii U launch title ZombiU did some interesting things and was quite well-received, although Ubisoft feels it could have been messaged better.

Thanks, NintendoLife.

1. Walter

I’m sure a huge amount of gamers are just waiting for those Nintendo exclusives to be released so they can finally buy the Wii U, and I’m talking about SSB, Mario Kart, Zelda, SMT x FE, those kind of games.

Until now, I don’t feel like purchasing the Wii U or any of the released games, but I think this will change soon.

#1 1 year ago
  2. ps3fanboy

good luck buying the failed crap wii-u…

#2 1 year ago
  3. Showmeyomoves!

I know a certain Ubisoft brand that could “boost its potential”…

#3 1 year ago
  4. Kabby

Won’t improve in a noticeable fashion until Zelda or Mario is released. That’s all Nintendo machines are good for; Nintendo’s continually rehashed IP’s.

#4 1 year ago
  5. dreamcastnews

@2 haven’t you got some PS4 news to be gushing over?

Don’t like Nintendo or Microsoft? Move on.

#5 1 year ago
  6. fpeele

i believe Yves Guillemot mentioned something on his twitter about watch dogs coming to wii u so that might do the system good.

#6 1 year ago
  7. fpeele

edit: was a parody site… my bad

#7 1 year ago
  8. DeVitowned

I’ve done my fair share of boosting the attach rate. Have New Super Mario Bros. U, Asassin’s Creed III, Nintendo Land, Call of Duty: Black Ops II and Zombi U, as well as a few of the eShop titles, and I enjoy the hell out of them. Already a Platinum Nintendo Club member since I made an account in December.

The issue at the moment is a rather slow launch with not enough to cater to the varied tastes. Other than Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate, I don’t see myself picking up many more Wii U games until later in the year.

#8 1 year ago
  9. JimFear-666

are ubisoft becoming nintedo puppets?

#9 1 year ago
  10. Francis O

Its funny how people talk about rehashed IP but you can’t play anything like Mario Galaxy or Xenoblade on other sysytem. How many PS3 and 360 games are cover based shooters with regenerating health and auto jumping? LOL I can name at least 10. How many first person shooters do we have that all do the same COD shit? PS3 and 360 rehash all the time.

MS just does Halo and kinect shit.

I’m glad Nintendo is around. They still believe in Japan and RPGs like Fire Emblem Awakening, Xenoblade 2, Fire Emblem x Shin Megami.

Plus Bayonetta 2 and The Wonderful 101! I know everybody likes shooters but if it wasn’t for Nintendo….. Shooters would take over the whole industry.

#10 1 year ago
  11. theevilaires

Like I said before Nintendo has placed themselves in a tricky/risky place with the Wii U. At this point all I use mine for is Netflix. Love the new controller and everything but thats not going to sell 90% of gamers alone. I’m desperately waiting for those first party games and I hope they are better than any of Nintendo’s released games yet.

I feel like the Wii was the gamecube 2 in a good way, but the Wii U is shaping up to be the gamecube 3 in a bad way.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Francis O

@11 way to early to panic bro. Give them time. This fall you will be singing a different tune for sure. Every system goes through a dry spell. PS3 and Xbox 360 had the same issues at launch too.

#12 1 year ago
  13. theevilaires

I’m not panicking lol and this is different Francis. You talk about waiting this fall but you’re right I will be singing a different tune and hopefully playing one as well and thats the PS4 if SONY announces it for launch this year.

Who in their right mind will be focusing on Nintendo (Wii U) this fall on the edge of the true next gen consoles being launched plus the fact you have Vita with KillZone Mercenaries and GTAV. The only way for Nintendo to get any spot light this fall is if Rockstar is on crack and coke building a Wii U port of GTAV as we speak. That or they need a Mario,Zelda,Metroid triple release and we all know thats not going to happen. But of course look forward to Mario Wii U Kart next spring ;)

#13 1 year ago
  14. Just-Joe

@9 If that was true, I’m sure Rayman would have stayed a Wii U exclusive.

#14 1 year ago
  15. CyberMarco

@13 If GTA V will make to Wii U, this is a must!

#15 1 year ago
  16. DrDamn

Slower than expected take-up of the WiiU is the core reason they have delayed Rayman I’m guessing. They can benefit from combined marketing come Christmas but what they are looking for is a bigger WiiU market I reckon.

@Francis O
    “Most of Sony’s money goes to big budget shooters like Uncharted, Resistance, MAG, Killzone.”

When you are trying to demonstrate that other companies rehash too it’s best not to come up with a list which is 75% brand new IP’s this generation. That doesn’t re-enforce your argument very well ;)

All companies try to create then exploit IP. It’s good business practice. I would really like to see Nintendo put out a big title that doesn’t use one of it’s established IP though. They do try to mix things up with some incremental releases but without the shackles of pandering to fans of the IP they could create something really special.

#16 1 year ago
  17. silkvg247

Aren’t Nintendo being a bit thick here?

All they had to do was make a fully fledged next gen HD pokemon game and the Wii-U would have sold a quadrazillion units. Hell, I would have got one.

Just imagine the possibilities of the extra screen too, it’d be a pokedex!

#17 1 year ago
  18. Dragon246

Only a drastic price cut like 3ds one can save wiiu.
    Also, I don’t think the wiiu crowd supports good 3rd party games. After all, they still buy NSMBU which is just another rehash and forget games 3rd party games. 3rd parties are hardly at fault for pulling their hands out.
    Just read this-

#18 1 year ago
  19. The_Red

I think we should reserve that judgment (Wii U crowd doesn’t support good 3rd party games) until something like Bayonetta 2 comes out. If that bombs, then yes, Wii U owners are indeed a bunch of Nintendo only fanatics but there is always the chance that games like that, Wonderful 101 and more can do decent numbers.

#19 1 year ago
  20. dreamcastnews

Tank Tank Tank! Was the jewel in the launch crown. Fun and a wonderful throwback to arcade games of yesteryear.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Fin

Read that article this morning, is very good.

#21 1 year ago