The Last Guardian “remains under my creative supervision,” says Ueda

Wednesday, 13th February 2013 14:45 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Fumito Ueda has posted a status update on his website in an effort to assure fans that development on The Last Guardian continues, and that he is still involved in a freelance capacity.

“As some of you may have heard, I left Sony Computer Entertainment Japan Studio some time ago to pursue my creative passions,” he wrote. “Nevertheless, I continue working on The Last Guardian as a freelance contributor. While it’s been a long time coming, The Last Guardian remains under my creative supervision and is still in development by an incredibly talented team.

“It is my intent to continue my involvement with the project, as well as pursue new creative projects with a fresh perspective. As I rekindle my passions as a creator, I look forward to seeing where it will take me, and I deeply appreciate your support during this transition.”

Ueda said the game’s release is “solely decided by Sony, not myself,” and to “keep an eye out” for an official announcement.

Thanks, Johnny.

1. OmegaSlayer

Good boy Fumito :)

#1 1 year ago
  2. Dragon246

PS3 launch for this is eminent. Maybe a 20th Feb announcement? Too optimistic I guess.

#2 1 year ago
  3. killersense

i am expecting this and versus 13 next week. i know this could only lead to disappointment but Sony have been quiet about last guardian too long. versus 13 is prolly ps4 now but we shall see.

#3 1 year ago
  4. OnionPowder

@3 If Feb 20th is actually the PS4 reveal I doubt they would show off PS3 software.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Clupula

I don’t imagine we’ll hear anything about this until E3 or TGS. Same with Versus XIII.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Gnosis

Well, at least it’s not dead, I guess.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Clupula

If you look at Team Ico’s past history with games, they took a whole lot of years to create Ico and Shadow of the Colossus too. Can’t rush perfection.

#7 1 year ago
  8. RandomTiger

I bought my PS3 for this game, I hope it gets released at some point.

#8 1 year ago
  9. killersense

@4 while i agree that it could just be for ps4 i think it would be foolish to not dedicate 1/3rd of your time for ps3 and vita when you have so much attention on you. they don’t need much time to show hardware and some ps4 software because e3 is when they blow it open and show more games and hardware features. i would be happy either way because if it is all ps4 then my hail mary prediction that the console might be out in may or june might even come true:P i know it sounds way too crazy but i just have this feeling Sony might try to get a good headstart on MS rather than clashing head to head this holiday to gain back some lost market share from the 360 userbase who are craving for new hardware.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Gnosis

@7: It’s not about the development time. In September 2012 Sony abandoned the trademark for the game. For many ppl it meant a cancellation. Just glad it’s still kicking.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Clupula

If they shift this off to PS4, I’d be fucking furious. I want this and Versus XIII to both be PS3 games. Show me something NEW for PS4, not games I thought were coming this gen.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Clupula

@10 – That was just because they made the mistake of announcing this way too early.

#12 1 year ago
  13. ActionGameKing

Interesting timing with a Playstation Meeting coming up in exactly one week :)

#13 1 year ago
  14. ps3fanboy

its to late now for this game… people have moved on with their life and have no interest. that is what happen when you can’t get your finger out of your ass and finish your game.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Clupula

@14 – You, in particular, may have lost interest…

#15 1 year ago
  16. Phoenixblight

Versus has already been said to be shifted to next gen using the new engine not like that game was going to see the light of day this gen. It stayed in development hell and square just stuck with sequels for FFXIII and Lightning.

#16 1 year ago
  17. OnionPowder

@14 So you only purchase games based on hype during build up to release? You’d never truly be able to see if a game is good or not if you do that.

#17 1 year ago
  18. OmegaSlayer

I think Sony won’t only announce PS4 but they will give people reasons to stick with the PS3 until the new hardware is out.
    And will confirm that Sony, unlike the other manufacturers, won’t cut the support to the old console.
    Also Sony still doesn’t know if Microsoft will be able to release the successor to the 360 earlier, so it will try to keep the userbase tied to the brand with games.

#18 1 year ago
  19. Clupula

@16 – Versus has been RUMORED to have been shifted to next gen. Just like it had also been rumored to have been canceled at one point. Until it shows up, the only thing I’m counting for certain are the official announcements, that it’s PS3 and it’s still being worked on. Until I hear from an official source otherwise, that’s what I will consider the truth about it.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Phoenixblight

Thats fine. Square has put all its focus on the Lightning series even Type-0 has been removed from the Crystal series that FFXIII was supposed to be. You can hope all you like but Square is not going to put money into a game for a current gen system to be released in 2 years especially with PS4 info leaking and rumored to be out by the end of this year.

#20 1 year ago
  21. ps4some

@8 me too. Ps4 launch title I bet :-/

#21 1 year ago
  22. Clupula

@20 – Still a bigger install base in the current gen. It’s why so many big budget PS2 titles were released after the PS3 came out. Unless they intend on it coming out in 2015, they will sell more on PS3 than PS4.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Phoenixblight

They won’t release it on current gen system if the next gen has been out. The proof is there with the fact that Square has said they are working on Versus and then with little to no warning they release FFXIII-2 and now 3 is coming out this year which confirms there is no Versus planned this year as they would cannibalize their own sales if those two are released near each other so then Versus must come out next year which the Ps4 will be out for a year and the market would have already shifted. Square is not the type to stay behind they are always trying to be ahead its one of their many faults.

#23 1 year ago
  24. manamana

Ueda san, take your time but please deliver the goods. Brake the bond of longterm developement desasters and show us what a shineing gem you have under your supervision.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Dragon246

@PB,
    Dead wrong about Type-0. The only thing that changed was the name. Its a part of Fabula Nova Crystallis.

#25 1 year ago
  26. Gnosis

@23: Yeah, they already did that with FFXIII, since it was originally planed for ps2. Nothing new.

#26 1 year ago