Witcher 3 dev wants game to be better than Skyrim & Dragon Age

Tuesday, 12th February 2013 10:50 GMT By Dave Cook

Witcher 3: Wild Hunt developer CD Projekt RED has discussed how the team approached its adaptation of Andrzej Sapkowski book series, and how it hopes to match the sales success of key competitors Dragon Age and The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim with its third game.

“There’s a certain amount of things which you can do with PR”, said VP of business development Michal Nowakowski in a Game Informer video interview, “But there are limits to that. Without solid support and a solid budget – which we believe we can secure with the right partnership – it’s really difficult to achieve numbers like some of our competition… Dragon Age, the Skyrim franchise and whatnot.”

“Are we that much behind them in terms of the quality of the games? Of course we’ve got a lot to learn. We do know that, but I really do think that we can deliver a game of at least similar quality, if not better of course.

“Our target is to be better, always. We always had ambitions to be at the top level in terms of quality of build, but also to be independent. That’s very important for us.”

What do you think of the above. Is he being humble, or does The Witcher 3 really need to smash past Skyrim and Dragon Age sales to be considered a top-tier player? I’m guessing not, given how well regarded the series has become.

You can check out Michal’s full video interview over at Game Informer.

1. Erthazus

It won’t topple them because Witcher games are a bit hardcore.

DAO and SKYRIM were stupid RPG games without any substance, so it’s easy to sell them + Bethesda and EA have better marketing campaigns.

Anyway, I’m buying Witcher 3 collectors edition on Day 1. This will be the best RPG.

My PC is ready for 60 frames and max resolution. COME ON.

#1 1 year ago
  2. ArcticMonkey

Critically, they’re top tier now. They haven’t reached top tier sales numbers because The Witcher was pc exclusive first time around, and the second game was later ported to the 360 post pc launch. It’ll be hard to convince gamers to jump into the series with the third game but they can start by doing a simultaneous computer, PlayStation, and Xbox launch. Something their competitors have been doing already.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Creteck

CD Projekt RED you are above Skyrim and Dragon Age already!
    Probably not in sales, but as a game you are far beyond them.

#3 1 year ago
  4. loki

With Dragon age it is not very hard.
    @1 Your PC is crap

#4 1 year ago
  5. redder

you don’t need much effort to reach that goal, CDPR. Witcher 2 is already so much better than both of them.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Shinji10TH

Since the game is coming for high-end consoles, it’s more likely to see it launched on the three platforms at the same, unless the PS4/Xbox3 are too late on schedule, and if they want to have a real sales success, they should try to have the game as a launch title on them, first RPG for a new-gen is quit the occasion.

In terms of quality, they shouldn’t be concerned since Elder Scrolls franchise is mistakenly thought of as an RPG, while it’s more like heroic-fantasy GTA, as for DA, i doubt they will make the third game better than the first (or at least as good as DAO), because Bioware forgot what a real RPG is like(EA takeover?), and they’ve shown that with DA2 and ME3.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Bomba Luigi

Skyrim is very diffrent from a RPG like Witcher. Because its not about telling a Story in first Priority, or being the Hero of the World or whatever (all that is second Priority), its about the World itself (and Skyrim ist that even more than previos Elder Scrolls Game in my Opinion).
    Can’t see Witcher 3 with a similiar Conecpt for the Game, so it will be almost impossible to compare the two. It depends in a very extrem way on the Opinion of a Person what is better, because there are no Objectiv Standards that can Tell which style is better.
    I really don’t understand why so many People these Days try to compare their Game to Skyrim, because thats such a diffrent Thing than Most RPGs.

But of course, there will be always People who think their Opinion is the only Truth and so Skyrim or Witcher have to be total Bullshit no matter what other People think. But both Games are Great, and DA:O too of course.
    I would argument that even DA2 is a good Game, but I guess the Internet will Kill me when I’m doing that.

#7 1 year ago
  8. ArcticMonkey

The mistake when making a product is trying to emulate anything, and it happens all the time. COD MW is a hit we get Homefront/MOH reboot, Uncharted is a hit we get Deadspace 2&3 and Tomb Raider set piece gameplay. Next we’re getting Skyrim inspired RPGs Witcher 3 and Dragon Age 3, our industry works like this, its fine, everything leapfrogs each other and that’s how things progress, but devs should wanna be the next be big thing rather then the last big thing

#8 1 year ago
  9. Dave Cook

@8 +100

Absolutely spot on. Too many games are designed by committee or opinion poll these days – see the Dragon Age 3 survey for one – and not enough games are made off the imagination of studios. That’s why I like Ken Levine, he follows his gut and makes insane games that feel somewhat fresh.

#9 1 year ago
  10. AnklaX

I dont care about sales but other than that, I think Witcher 2 was already a better game than skyrim and dragon age games. So they should not be looking to those games but focus on outdoing themselves. All this Witcher 3 info is making me fearful as I absolutely love everything about Witcher 2′s uniqueness and don’t want to become like the other games.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Talkar

The problem is that gamers don’t reward companies that do try something new. For example, look at WoW, so many games are trying to break into the MMO space, with new ideas, fresh takes on old problems, and gamers praiese those games during development. Then the game launches and it is dead 6 months later, and WoW is the only one left standing.
    I understand why developers go for a proven method, they need some money to be able to take such risks. And they only get money by developing mediocre games like Dead Space, CoD, Skyrim etc because they appeal to a broad audience that already know what those games are about and don’t have to learn a new game.

#11 1 year ago
  12. ArcticMonkey

#Dave, Funny you mention Ken Levine, Bioshock is my absolute favorite game of all time. Everything about it resonated with me, except for that ending lol… but I admire him greatly, even read Ayn Rand and “The Devil in the white city” after he mentioned them being inspirational to his last two projects.

#11 I wouldn’t call those games mediocre, aspects of them yes, but those three games are great achievements in gaming when compared to the other games in their respective genres. I’m just adamant about not letting great IP grow stagnant.

but I agree 100% with your comment on the gamer side of the problem. Consumers are trepidatious when it comes to new experiences, to the point where publishers red light every project not a preexisting franchise. I feel like I was one of ten people who bought Enslaved, for example.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Vice

Oh come on, they can’t be serious…

#13 1 year ago