Medal of Honor will be back when the time’s right, says EA

Tuesday, 12 February 2013 21:09 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Medal of Honor is not dead, EA has assured, it’s just being shelved for a while.

Speaking with RPS, EA chief creative director Rich Hilleman said the issue is on EA’s production end, and not due to over saturation of military shooters.

“We don’t think its a genre problem,” he said. “It’s an execution problem. We don’t think Medal of Honor’s performance speaks to any particular bias in that space against modern settings or World War 2 or any of that. It’s much more that we had some things we should’ve done better.

“What we think right now is that, for the next couple years, we can just have one great thing in that space. So we’re choosing for it to be Battlefield.”

Hilleman said it was better to give Medal of Honor a break rather than release a game that isn’t of the utmost quality.

“I think a key part of this is having the right amount of high-quality production talent,” he said. “And we didn’t have the quality of leadership we needed to make [it] great. We just have to get the leadership aligned. We’re blessed to have more titles than we can do well today. That’s a good problem, frankly. In the long term, we have to make sure we don’t kill those products by trying to do them when we can’t do them well.

“The property will come back when it’s time is right and there’s someone to carry it.”

EA announced during its Q3 results the game had been taking “out of rotation.”