Games For Windows woe continues, Microsoft offers possible solution

Tuesday, 12th February 2013 11:01 GMT By Dave Cook

Games For Windows has been battered with complaints from many users unable to connect to the service, rendering games like Dark Souls: Prepare to Die edition unplayable, prompting fans to petition for a Steam release. Microsoft has stepped forward to offer a possible solution to the issue.

Games.On.Net reports that Microsoft posted its advice on the official Games For Windows forum. It reads as follows:

“Some users are reporting success by running the following four commands in an administrator command prompt (right click on the command propt and select run as administrator)

bitsadmin /reset
ipconfig /flushdns
netsh int ip reset
netsh winsock reset

then restarting their computers, starting their game up and selecting ‘Sign-in with another account’ and re-entering their log-in information.”

Microsoft concedes however, that the above fix won’t work in all instances, but assured players that it is working on a more viable solution.

Have you been affected? Does this method work for you? Let us know below.

1. Hunam

Let it fucking die.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Erthazus

I don’t need my Xbox on my PC. Let it die.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Talkar

Petitioning GFWL games to use Steam instead is like wanting to use a controller instead of a keyboard to write an essay…

#3 1 year ago
  4. Christopher Jack

MS, you really screwed yourself with this, GfWL had potential, you could have really focused on integrating it into Windows 8, now it’s just a slowly dying piece of software than no body wants tied to their games.

#4 1 year ago
  5. loki

Games For Windows sucks so hard, only possible solution bury this crap and foget abou it

#5 1 year ago
  6. xxJPRACERxx

Wow loki, I think this is your 1st intelligent comment!

#6 1 year ago
  7. deadstoned

I think you have that the wrong way round. GFWL Updated last 2011, last added “feature” 2009. Steam last updated a few weeks ago, last added features included greenlight, steamworkshop and bigpicture mode. I do believe Steamworks is made for gaming and GFWL is a hunk of cancer Microsoft forgot to kill.

GFWL always suffers from all sorts of buggy screw ups. Thats why people have been doing their best to avoid it. Microsoft deserves way more flack for the state of their PC business than they get. They do shit like this every day. FUCK MICROSOFT STUDIOS AND FUCK GFWL DEVELOPERS! THEY ARE ALL INCOMPETENT DUMBASSES

#7 1 year ago
  8. Talkar

Nah man. I actually believe GFWL is better than Steam.
    The way i see it is as follows:
    They are both DRM, and that is the only reason i would ever use either one of them, because i’m forced to.
    GFWL works. Steam Doesn’t. Simple as that. I do also know that the situation is reverse for a lot of people, but for me personally, GFWL has been a lot better than Steam…

#8 1 year ago
  9. alterecho

Yeah GFWL > Steam for me. It ofcourse needs improvements though.

#9 1 year ago
  10. deadstoned

Sorry man I just find it really hard to believe :-/ . Steams worked so well for most people hence why Steam, Valve and Gabe Newell have reached almost messiah like status on the internet. GFWL has repeatedly worked poorly for most people and has often pointed to low poor quality PC ports. Everyones dropped GFWL now except for Namco Bandai whom I’m sure will drop it for Dark Souls 2.

In regards to your Steam problems, what kind of problems do you have?

#10 1 year ago
  11. Talkar

The most common problems i run into are error messages claiming a game is already running, when it isn’t. And they have yet to fix offline mode which to this day only works about half the time. And then we have the less common problems that i only get once in a while, like when it refuses a CD-key (happened with BL2), and the currency issue where it claims i’m in the states, which i’m not, and list all prices in dollars. And when i try to pay for something it fails because i’m not in the correct region. Steam support is worth bollocks, they only give copy/paste messages back which resolve nothing. And Valve being as arrogant as they are, they don’t even have a phone number i can call for support.

My problems with GFWL: There was a DLC for Fallout 3 that took 2 hours to install.

#11 1 year ago
  12. ps3fanboy

THERE IS ONLY ONE SOLUTION FOR THIS CRAP AND THAT IS TO ABANDON GFWL FOR GOOD AND LET PEOPLE INSTALL THEIR GAMES AS THEY USED TO. WE DON’T NEED AN ASS OF A CLIENT TO INTERFERE WITH THE GAME PLAY AT ALL. AND THE SAME GOES FOR THE CRAP STEAM/UPLAY/ORIGIN… DON’T NEED IT AT ALL.

THIS IS WHAT WE DID IN 2000….

INSTALL THE GAME
    PRESS THE EXE FILE ON THE DESKTOP
    PLAY THE GAME

NO CLIENT NEEDED!… THAT IS WHAT WE DID IN 2000 BEFORE THIS CLIENT CRAP ARRIVED. IT JUST WORKED EVERY GAMER WAS HAPPY…

#12 1 year ago
  13. Talkar

Basically i agree with #13. But in a much less caps-locky kinda way :P

#13 1 year ago
  14. GwynbleiddiuM

I can accept some people being unable to work around issues they might have with steam, but saying GFWL > Steam is blatant lie and utter bullshit. There’s nothing more annoying than purchasing a legit copy of a game and being unable to use its online features due to regional restrictions that Microsoft impose. So don’t try to justify your lack of technical knowledge by blaming steam. And if you can’t take advantage over what PC brings, there are simpler solutions called video game consoles which neither require you to have a so called PC skill nor it’ll ever challenge you to overcome technical difficulties that a PC might put you through once every million years.

Steam might occasionally give you messages but they can be easily bypassed if you care to look around the forum or by restarting the client.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Talkar

And don’t try to trick yourself into beliving you know people when you don’t. I have a computer science degree, and i am currently undertaking a bachelors degree in software development. I can assure you that the fact steam works like shit has nothing to do with my competence, or lack thereof, but is merely a reflection of Valves attitude towards its customers.

#15 1 year ago
  16. DSB

GFWL has been a disaster since day one. It’s no wonder that so many publishers have dropped it like the bad habit it is.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Christopher Jack

My only Steam problem lately has been Steam Cloud not functioning when I close Steam but thankfully I’m only gaming on one PC right now so it’s not an issue. I used to have tonnes of problems with Steam, namely it not working in offline mode- though on the other hand I haven’t had as many internet issues either lately so idk.

GfWL however is just unnecessary when I purchase a Steam game, perhaps my biggest pet peeve about Steam is that some games require additional services to use. Rockstar’s social club has always been problematic for me & I believe GTAIV purchased through Steam requires both that & GfWL tho I’m not certain, I uninstalled it a while a go when I started looking & budgeting for a more capable PC.

#17 1 year ago
  18. deadstoned

Offline mode is still a blunder yes, fortunately most people don’t have to use it. Internets fairly reliable here. GFWL offline mode may seem nicer, but goodluck with encrypted offline saves and getting DLC to work offline.

Never really had CD-Key issues, sometimes when games go on sale they temporarily run out of keys. But that’s usually fixed very quickly.

Not sure on your problems with listing prices in dollars and such. You using proxies, VPN’s or on University network? Because I must say that does sound very strange, I’d think it would have more to do with your ISP than Valve though.

Valve support may not have a phone number, but at least it exists unlike GFWLs support. I’ve never had to contact support, because I’ve never had any major problems. Microsoft’s GFWL have 5 dudes in a call centre for USA only and thats it. Ask some Xbox support in Europe and they’ll likely ask “whats Games for windows LIVE?”. The 5 dudes in the USA call centre is true, because one of them briefly came onto Reddit once, in the comments section of a GFWL complaint thread. I’ll try and find it for you. He admitted the service was shit.

#18 1 year ago
  19. xxJPRACERxx

“GFWL works. Steam Doesn’t.”

ROFL!

#19 1 year ago
  20. fearmonkey

I have a PC that GFWL just will not work on, and I have tried a ton of things and i am not formatting my pc to get it to work. It works fine on my new PC, but I hate it, not a fan of it…at all…
    The only good thing about it is the gamerscore thing if that matters to you…doesnt to me… Rockstar’s games are a drag as they want you to sign into their service, then GFWL before you can play the game.

Steam has always worked well, and I have never had a single problem with the service, ever……. I love being able to use cloud saves, take screenshots using the service (though I prefer a few other apps for that)and have chat with Steam friends while playing a game. Yes GFWL has some of that but its just much clunkier.

#20 1 year ago
  21. GwynbleiddiuM

@16 Sorry mate but that final sentence is also bullshit.

#21 1 year ago
  22. OlderGamer

Strange, or maybe luck. But across five different PCs, I have never, ever had even one problem with Steam. It just works.

Toss in the endless barrage of Steam Sales…and I have to wonder if people are just flat out talking BS when it comes to talking bad about Steam.

That being said anything, tech wise, can go wrong once in awhile. But in my experience Steam hasn’t. And even if I did have an issue or two once in awhile, I would still use it. It just beats everything else out there.

People can cry all they want but the old days are long gone. Everything will have clients, services, and stores tied to them. Welcome to the future. But saying that, and understanding that…how does Steam get any better?

#22 1 year ago
  23. livewired500

I agree with OG. On 2 PCs and a laptop, Steam has always worked. Including, offline mode which is set most of the time on my kid’s computer.

I thought MSFT was dropping GFWL for Xbox Live services. There isn’t any games listed any longer in the GFWL client. Heck, I even forgot I had it installed until this article. Only reason I have it is for Dawn of War 2 (haven’t played in a while) and I play that through Steam.

#23 1 year ago
  24. DSB

It certainly helped kill Gotham City Impostors and probably cost some people their jobs at Monolith.

First matchmaking didn’t work, which is kinda familiar from trying to play GTA IV in coop, and then they were prevented from fixing it even though they had the patch ready within a week, because Microsoft had to rub their dicks on it for a month in certification.

In comparison I’ve seen guys like Supergiant Games identify problems and roll out patches just hours after release on Steam. Personally I consider that slightly better service.

#24 1 year ago
  25. TheWulf

I was about to tell #3 how my jaw was on the floor at how incredulous I was at his delusions. Then I moved a little down the comments list and I saw that, hey, it’s just more client hate. That’s how things are done, now. Is hating on Steam (despite it being efficient and clever) like some kind of neo-ludditism movement?

I mean, I’m old enough to have played games on a cassette tape where you had to wait for ten minutes for the bloody things to load up whilst blaring analogue data noise through the TV speakers. We’ve come a long way since then.

The process used to be:

1. Dig out disc.
    2. Find out disc is warped despite having kept it in the dark and in perfect condition.
    3. Ask around friends for a copy.
    4. Discover they don’t have one.
    5. Visit a local store, endure the smell whilst looking for a budget copy.
    6. Take it to the counter, and have to deal with someone who’s confused by life.
    7. Get it home.
    8. Install the game.
    9. Run the game.
    10. The game crashes, despite having the correct operating system and slightly above par hardware.
    11. The Internet was young – spend hours researching things.
    12. Get the game running.
    13. The game runs, but with weird slowdowns.
    14. The game crashes at the title screen.
    15. Back to the young and useless Internet!

Seriously, take off those damned rose-tinted glasses. Right now. Computers back then often had me wondering if it was too much hassle. If I should just get one of those fancy Saturn consoles instead.

Fast forward to 2013:

1. Buy a game (and install steam if you haven’t).
    2. Download a game at the best speeds your Internet can offer.
    3. Run the game.
    4. Enjoy the game.

It’s better now in regards to being able to have software that works than it’s ever been, and we have a better Internet now to boot. I’m sorry, but whilst I may have preferences for games from differing years, I realise as much as anyone that buying something on Steam is the least hassle one can have. I’ve been using Steam since its initial release and I have a massive library. I’ve not had one, single problem. Not one.

Though Games for Windows Live does indeed to remind me of those halcyon days of yore when you couldn’t get games to run no matter what, and it took years to download anything (hello Fallout 3 DLC). I can only conclude that some people are simply not as bright as others.

#25 1 year ago
  26. Erthazus

I love Steam and it is the best service for games available right now with Battle.net.

But I want to add one thing that I don’t like about Steam: Firmware updates.

sometimes they are annoying as hell, everything else is perfect.

#26 1 year ago
  27. Joe_Gamer

I fucking hate GFWL, I was about to tell a lie and say I’ve never bought a game with it but….fucking thanks Arkham City for spoiling that for me….well I hope the 15 bucks they got off of me for the sale was worth shoving GFWL down my throat, it would have been a day one buy for me otherwise.

#27 1 year ago
  28. Kabby

So what exactly IS the end game scenario here should GFWL be closed?

Microsoft? Hello?