Aliens Colonial Marines: critic finishes level without firing once

Tuesday, 12th February 2013 09:57 GMT By Dave Cook

Aliens: Colonial Marines reviews are out now, and the news is not good. See our full score round-up here, and my own appraisal here. Steve Hogarty over at the mighty PCGamesN has captured himself completing a level without firing his gun once. Bad times.

What do you make of that then?

1. mreko3230

I don’t know if I would call 3 minutes of gameplay a “level”, but yeah- pretty pathetic. I wonder if the Aliens and enemies are just as easy to pass up in co-op mode? Also, I wonder if this level was completed on “easy”. Its kind of a cherry picked level of gameplay, but I guess the rest of the levels could be just as bad.

*EDIT*
    Nevermind, I see that it was played on “hardened” difficulty…wow.

2. silkvg247

ok the low reviews are one thing but I don’t see the relevance of the video. There are probably countless levels in countless campaigns in countless games where you can sprint past the bad guys – the only exception being those with scripted bosses that will stop you.

Heck you can run through most quake2 levels straight to the exits if that floats your boat. Just saying I don’t see how this particular feat makes the game “bad”.

3. brokenkey

Guardian gave it 4 out of 5

4. Erthazus

@2, Nope.

Quake 2 was designed that way that you can go straight and kill or pass them. This one has a story where marines share some dialog together and when your team is behind and you are running through massive amount of Aliens that is absolutely stupid.

Aliens in Aliens (no pun intended) universe were strong and fast, but here they are sloppy, stupid and don’t see shit. That’s not how the game suppossed to play that’s for sure.

This game made CoD game look Good in comparison.

5. Old MacDonald

I like the part where the squadmates pop into existence at 2:12

6. stevenhiggster

You can finish most levels on Crysis 2 without firing your gun, no one made a big deal about that.
    Not trying to defend the turd that is Colonial Marines, I’m just saying.

7. silkvg247

Yeah if they made it so the levels were impossible to beat via any method other than sitting back with your allies listening to scripted events and firing through waves of aliens, people would moan instead about it’s linearity. I’m just saying there’s loads of reasons to knock a game but this isn’t one of them.

8. NeoSquall

@4 For once, I have to agree with you.

@5 Yeah, that’s disappointing.

9. TheWulf

Oh… well then. It’s that bad? I’ll say exactly what I said in another comments thread: It appears no one understands what made AvsP 2000 so incredibly great, and that’s why that game continues to stay at the top of the pack despite having been released thirteen years ago.