Wii U accounted for 1.6% of total UK software sales in January

Monday, 11th February 2013 17:07 GMT By Dave Cook

Wii U software isn’t selling well according to data that spilled on to the internet last week. Fresh reports released today back up the numbers, placing software sales on Nintendo’s console at just 1.6% of overall UK sales.

Last week, an MCV report posted on NeoGAF suggested that Wii U software sales only accounted for 1.6% of total UK software sales made in January. Today, CVG has backed up the report, stating that it complies with its own findings.

The reports show that only 34,000 Wii U games were sold during the month, including bundled copies of Nintendo Land, currently packaged with Black Wii U premium console packs.

No Wii U game has charted in the UK top 40 so far in 2013. It comes as Nintendo slashed its financial forecast for 3DS and Wii U by the end of FY13.

Here’s a full run-down of the market share stats:

January software sales (market share):

• Xbox 360: 810,000 (38.4%)
  • PS3: 545,000 (25.8%)
  • PC: 228,000 (10.8%)
  • Wii: 182,000 (8.6%)
  • DS: 139,000 (6.6%)
  • 3DS: 112,000 (5.3%)
  • Vita: 46,000 (2.2%)
  • Wii U: 34,000 (1.6%)
  • PSP: 13,000 (0.6%)
  • PS2: 2,000 (0.1%)

1. The_Red

I think both Wii U and Vita (The lowest selling new systems) are both suffering due to their high price.

#1 1 year ago
  2. stealth

uk always struggles with new systems at launch

#2 1 year ago
  3. OlderGamer

I am calling it tho, Nintendo needs to move agressivly. WiiU is in trouble. No joke. Really.

I agree with the two newest systems are crawling due to high price. I hope a lesson to be learned for PS4 and XBNXT launches. Or, and I hope not, the publics unwillingness/uneagerness to buy new hardware beyond the dedicated fans. One often untalked about effect of such a long gen cycle is that people have a ton of investment on their current systems. Alot more then in the past. Going forward BC might actualy be a big deal. But I doubt anyone will have BC beyond some digital downloads.

#3 1 year ago
  4. gomersoul

the wii u is not good enough to spend any sort of money on… at least the vita is a great little console with a reason to buy one. As soon as it goes down to £150 I’ll pick one up. Nintendo haven’t managed to gain a large amount of die hard fans with the wii. So everyone is just waiting to see what ps4/nxtbox do. wii u released too little too late in my opinion

#4 1 year ago
  5. Dragon246

Not surprised. Especially when its losing exclusives left and right.

#5 1 year ago
  6. The_Red

I hadn’t thought about it but the unusually extended console cycle has indeed resulted in more investment as well as attachment. That combined with potential high price of PS4 / Xbox3 could seriously end up hurting them unless they have some seriously revolutionary exclusives. Games like COD will probably still come out for 360 and PS3 along side next-gen systems and will definitely sell more on the older systems.

#6 1 year ago
  7. OlderGamer

Yeah that is kind of what I am thinking too Red.

With a newly upgraded PC, and the flat return on investment with my WiiU, I am more then happy to stay where I am consolewise for a few more years. I am going to let the prices come down and the game selection build up before I bite.

Sidenote I think WiiU will be ok in the end. And all of the reasons I bought it, namely Nintendo first party games, will still justify the purchase for me, down the road.. But I think if Nintendo want to sell more systems they will need to dramaticly reduce the price of the system. It really needs to get to 200usd as soon as possible, imo. And it is a long ways to go.

But the masses will not buy it unless it is cheaper. I just don’t buy the thinking above that assumes the masses will buy a PS4 or XBXNXT instead. I don’t think they will be any of them. Unless the prices are impulse levels and the games selection is compeling. Something the WiiU has missed the mark with on both accounts.

#7 1 year ago
  8. PeekyChew

And this is what happens when you spend absolutely nothing on advertising.

#8 1 year ago