Tomb Raider: 11-minute walkthrough shows off action and strategy

Monday, 11th February 2013 15:27 GMT By Dave Cook

Tomb Raider is launching March 5th and developer Crystal Dynamics has release an 11-minute walkthrough video showing Lara engaging enemies with a range of firearms, using strategy to mess up enemies and being battered left right and centre by rocks and other hazards.

What do you think? Are you excited for Tomb Raider? Let us know below.

1. Moonwalker1982

Talk about showing WAY too much of the game, holy shit. I will stay away from this.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Badumtsss

Hype.

But stop showing everything already.

#2 1 year ago
  3. YoungZer0

I think storywise it’s what FarCry 3 should’ve been.

#3 1 year ago
  4. monkeygourmet

She’s so vulnerable, then 5 minutes in she’s doing shit that would make Rambo blush.

Seriously, that part of their marketing really pissed me off.

All that rubbish about trying to make her a believable character then your game still ends up being Uncharted of War 4…

Im guessing her times practicing Archery at girls school will explain the fact she can snipe a rapist from about 500 meters right in the groin…

Of course, it’s a game and should be fun (i’m sure this will be), but why did we have to have all the rubbish about ‘re-building’ Lara’s personality when all it looks like we have ended up with is another third person action shooter.

If the wanted to go down the ‘fragile petal turns badass’ road, they should have just had the balls to go for it. Instead of hiding behind promises of deep character interaction that almost certainly won’t deliver…

#4 1 year ago
  5. Abdo shniba

@4 just play the game from the start and then judge, it may actually make sense, I hate it when people start judging games without even trying them, it’s so ******.

#5 1 year ago
  6. JRNO

I think the regenerating health (unless I’m seeing things here) is a mistake. Didn’t they show this demo at E3 last year?

#6 1 year ago
  7. PEYJ

My initial feelings about what I’ve seen so far is a total disconection between the cutscenes and the gameplay. Also: the voice acting and the dialogue seems like a typical young/adult level – a style that seems to be the norm in many Anglo-American tvshows/series these days.

While the settings looks good and drawing, the gameplay looks very much like Uncharted 3. I did enjoy that but ultimately it felt a little too used, as many games have been taking advantage of that formula over the past few years. Now it, to me, just feels dated. The objective to find medics was more of a move-forward in an action oriented way to accomodate the story, rather than being a puzzle. Quite dissapointing.

#7 1 year ago
  8. osric90

It’s nice to have a new Lara for this series as I was bored about the previous ones after the movie (always trying to be Angelina Jolie). It’s nice to have an AAA game with a female lead again too, as it’s easier to empathize with a female character than a male (believe it or not). At this point, you want to take care of this new (not that vulnerable but still soft) Lara… but I think the game still needs a ton of polishing. Some animations and transitions still feel rough (look at the shooting and the shotgun reloading) and well, let’s hope this is a new beginning for a series that began to go too long some time ago.

#8 1 year ago
  9. salarta

I’m sure part of the reason for jumping from wuss to action swiftly in the trailer is to “reassure” that she’ll become strong, but it misses the actual complaint. Lara shouldn’t start out as a weak, terrified womanchild. They should have at minimum gone back and redid the whole start so she begins brave and strong-willed, but now it’s far too late. No matter what they try to do with the character after this game, this generation’s “Lara” is at heart a wussy little girl pretending to be a strong woman.

I’d like to believe that this game will bomb and they’ll do the origin story again and right the next time, but truthfully, it’s going to sell like crazy. The series was dying, and his game presents enough superficial change to satisfy people even if it treats Lara’s origin story like shit. Not that origin story matters to most people, since most of the sales will be for a mix of new gameplay and he fact she has boobs and those boobs get dirty while men torment the fragile little doll until she loses her sheltered little girl innocence.

We’re never going to get a shot at seeing the real Lara Croft again until at least 10-20 years from now, when people that remember the real Lara come into the company and want to see the character done justice.

#9 1 year ago
  10. PEYJ

The idea that it’s easier to emphasize with a female than a male is social construction. An idea the developers seem to share when I look at the disconnection between the character in the cutscenes (she is ever so sensitive) and the one in the gameplay (she kills effectively, quickly and in abbundance).

In fact, it is my conviction that the problem in the game industry, when talking about gender and characters, is less about the lack of female lead characters (there are loads of them) but more about too many one and two dimensional male personalities. This could also be said about the female ones but to me it seems to be more outspoken on the male side.

#10 1 year ago
  11. salarta

@10: I’d say the real problem female protagonists have in the industry currently isn’t “lack of interest,” it’s the teams behind games starring these female protagonists treating them completely differently from male protagonists.

Think back to the PS1 era. Aside from the obvious in Samus Aran, we had Jill Valentine and Claire Redfield in the Resident Evil series treated the exact same way as their male counterparts, and they were deemed popular enough to even warrant the two of them getting their own video games. We had Parasite Eve, starring Aya Brea, that was successful enough to warrant Parasite Eve II. And of course, we had the original Tomb Raider games. While a lot of people like to say Lara was just a pair of boobs, in reality she was conceived as an adventurer in the vein of Indiana Jones. Sex appeal may have been utilized, but it was never in excess. And neither that focus on sex appeal nor the story EVER made the women look like innocent little flowers terrified of combat.

Look at where we are today. The only characters that have been allowed to act in strong ways are ones where their sex appeal is a heavy focus (Bayonetta and Juliet Sterling). Meanwhile, all past female characters have been “reimagined” as both inferior to male characters like Chris Redfield or Leon Kennedy, AND as fragile and scared emotional little girls in adult bodies.

How many games starring a male protagonist do you find the male protagonist starting out trembling in fear of combat, tears streaming down his face? How many exist where the male protagonist is getting treated like he’s a child or a pet by others, primarily the opposite sex, and he takes it? How many times do you see a female protagonist coming to the rescue of an utterly terrified male NPC?

According to Crystal Dynamics, Squeenix, Capcom and even Nintendo, men are naturally tough and brave, while women are naturally weaker and wussier. That’s the message this game sends by turning a female character that used to be such an icon for women appearing to be strong, smart, courageous, and making her out to be pathetic and weak.

If this game were taking place with Lara 10 years old or younger, then I’d probably be able to say making her act scared and innocent is fine. But she’s a grown woman, and it goes against everything the character was meant to be, the last of the strong female protagonists that the PS1 era had and was able to sell millions of copies with that type at the helm.

#11 1 year ago
  12. DSB

I saw her shoot a guy in the balls with a bow and arrow.

Surely that’s like 500 feminist points right there.

Really though, that looked a lot better than anything I was expecting.

Pretty generic with the whole covershooter gag, but it didn’t seem like they had fucked it up in any significant way.

#12 1 year ago
  13. absolutezero

Personally I would play “I Spit on Your Grave” the video game.

#13 1 year ago
  14. YoungZer0

@7: “as it’s easier to empathize with a female character than a male (believe it or not). At this point, you want to take care of this new (not that vulnerable but still soft) Lara”

Erm, no and no.

First of all, if I can I’ll always, always play male characters.

Second, I don’t want to take care of the new Lara, I want her to take care of herself. I’m not playing a damsel in distress. She’s not 12 years old, she can do better than Clementine.

@9: ” Lara shouldn’t start out as a weak, terrified womanchild.”

Why not? At this point Lara is nothing but a rich spoiled brat. She wakes up hanging upside down, in a cannibal cave, on an island completely isolated from the outside world, without any help and you think she should feel brave and strong-willed? For what reason exactly?

I don’t care who you are and how much training you’ve had, the first thing anybody will do is going into panic.

@10: “An idea the developers seem to share when I look at the disconnection between the character in the cutscenes (she is ever so sensitive) and the one in the gameplay (she kills effectively, quickly and in abbundance).”

I’d say that A LOT of games suffer from that problem. For example, we’re supposed to be believe that Connor in AC3 is a good guy, yet when you see him fighting, you see an animal. A complete monster, the way he slashes away at his foes, striking multiple times with his axe on the same spot. I really hope The Last of Us changes that, as the killing in the game seems to be different.

@11: Yes, all the women in the Resident Evil games are shit now. Remember how cool and awesome Claire Redfield was? I don’t care much for the master of unlocking, but she was done well too.

It seems to me that they are trying EVERYTHING they can now, to reach they lowest of the low.

“People like boobs, put more boobs in it!”

Every female character’s breasts in Mass Effect became bigger and bigger with every entry at the end we even had a sex bot.

DS3 is another offender of this, for some reason one of the female characters from the second game is back with BIGGER BOOBS.

I keep repeating myself, but how was Sheva in RE5 introduced? The very first bit of her, was her ass. A walking ass. Next scene, a guard gets all touchy and she pushes him off, telling him not to get touchy. What the fuck was the purpose of that scene? Is that Capcom trying to tell us that she’s tough, because she doesn’t like to be sexually assaulted?

We had Sherry making a return in RE6 and she had a whole level where she was running around half naked, for no fucking reason. And then we had the biggest, most annoying shitfuckingasscunt of them all: Helena.

God, that woman is so fucking useless.

I hate her so goddamn much. Not as much as Naomi, but a LOT!

“How many games starring a male protagonist do you find the male protagonist starting out trembling in fear of combat, tears streaming down his face?”

But isn’t that another wrong? How many male characters have you seen that have shown that? Isn’t that just as bad? That just tells you that male characters lack that kind of depth, that they CAN’T show any emotion. That men are not allowed to be weak, etc. etc.

“According to Crystal Dynamics, Squeenix, Capcom and even Nintendo,”

I think you forgot to mention KONAMI and KOJIPRO there. Some of the worst offenders.

@12: Lawl.

#14 1 year ago
  15. PEYJ

@ Salarta

I agree with your viewpoint on the new Lara (in the cutscenes) as being a bit “buh-huh” like, hence my point about disconnection between the cutscenes and the gameplay.

However, in the PS1 era the games were more about gameplay and not story. And, RE had one and two dimensional female and male characters. They were neither strong nor weak: there were caricatured. I also find the japanes characters of the older generations for pretty sexless (and I don’t mean physical proportions) thus not particularly representative of the respective genders.

I don’t see a problem with someone trembling in fear, and several male characters in firsperson shooters starts out with moaning and gasping (whining) through the preliminary interactive sequence like in COD, Haze, Bioshock etc. And why not? If a person who is not used to danger and adventure is in great danger all of a sudden, I think most people would be a little whiny.

I don’t know if Capcom’s women are weaker and wussier. It seems to me that no matter how small and delicate the female characters look, they always pack a bigger punch their male counterparts.

I agree that the background reboot they have made, makes her to common (read: like young adult from an American tv show), and personally I liked the more raw adventurer from the old days better. Especially as in the reboot of original TR.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Da Man

Deprived nerds tend to empathize with female 3d characters, and overanalyze to the point beyond Molyneux, David Cage and Kojima ‘s bs combined.

This is new information.

#16 1 year ago
  17. PEYJ

@ 16

While some people refuse to believe that game narratives and characters have anything grounded in reality, and that a game is “just a game”. : )

Also – I like Molyneux, Cage and Kojima. Mostly for their ability to annoy gamers who rejects the idea that games can be anything but mindless time consuming. \o/

#17 1 year ago
  18. Da Man

You’re right, but I have no idea why would you want to play life.

Also, those three make videogames which are the epitomes of mindless time consuming, bar perhaps jrpgs with screen swirling random battles.

#18 1 year ago
  19. nostramo

Hmm, now lets see, plenty enemies and plenty shooting and multiplayer to boot, yet to see any evidence of tombraiding though. Well, there will no doubt be plenty DLC to follow the release, so thats something to look forward to, sept how much of it will be in the form of single payer off line content? Err, none probably, so, there you have it, tombraider rebooted, preorder canceled.

#19 1 year ago
  20. PEYJ

@ 18

I’m not playing life as you call it, it’s just evident that the more video games evolve in its narratives, the more it reflects parts of life, whether those are supernatural stories, dramas, war and whatnot. If we spend lots of time playing, discussing or fiding info about games, it must be because games have evolved beyond just being games.

I disagree about the three game makers’ games being mindless time consuming but each to his own.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Max Payne

PC features:

#21 1 year ago
  22. salarta

@14: See, here’s the thing. You’re promoting it under the concept of “It’s more realistic therefore it’s better.” But the question is, why does a game being more “realistic” in terms of characters acting more emotional in the face of trauma happen when the character has boobs and a vagina? You NEVER see people saying “Yeah, Master Chief is cool, but you know what he really needs is an origin story where he’s a 24 year old man forcibly drafted into the military that nearly pisses himself in his suit at the very concept of having to fight.” You never see people suggest that we need to tell an origin story of Leon Kennedy, or Dante, or Solid Snake, or Gordon Freeman where they’re about to burst into tears at a zombie or a demon appearing before them, or from having a gun or knife pointed in their faces.

Yet it’s somehow acceptable for Lara Croft, one of the few female protagonists out there and one that was all about kicking ass to boot, to act absolutely terrified at the prospect that she could die or be tortured. You know what that is? Even if you assume that everyone involved in the making of this new “Tomb Raider” genuinely did these things to make the game more realistic (you know, just like Tabata said the clothes-ripping-away mechanic in 3rd Birthday was added to be “more realistic” and definitely not just to have an excuse to show off more of Aya Brea’s tits and ass), the real end product ends up being sexist.

In a sea of games where you have big brawny men acting macho and fearless in “unrealistic” ways, it SOMEHOW falls on Lara Croft, one of the only tough female icons the industry had, to be the torchbearer of “realism.” Out of all the possible ways to start making “realistic reactions” and “realistic emotions” into a centerpiece for video games, only the female protagonists that everyone admired and looked up to for their toughness (admittedly when they weren’t ogling their boobs) are allowed to be rewritten this way. No matter what the team is TRYING to say with the story of this game, by consequence of forcing this on a character like Lara Croft while NOBODY is doing the same thing to male characters, they’re making a game that is inherently sexist. Either they’re saying women are naturally inclined to be weak and wussy and need training to be anything better, or they’re saying that only women are so utterly dominated by their emotions that they are the only ones that can properly express what it’s like to be pathetic and wussy. Either way, it becomes sexist by virtue of it happening only to the women in the medium.

All that ranting aside, yes, the modern conception of the Resident Evil series is VERY sexist. Both Jill and Claire have been reimagined as damsels in distress inferior to their supposed male betters (Chris for Jill, Leon for Claire), both Jill and Claire were left out of RE6 entirely, and Jill was put in that skintight suit scurrying around like an animal and hissing like a cat in heat during her boss fight. Even in what was supposedly a sidegame for Jill, Revelations, the team forced Chris in… and what I saw of the ending (I’ll play the whole thing when it releases on PS3), he once again saves Jill’s life. And all new “partners” which are female are inevitably less capable than the men, and in need of the men bailing them out repeatedly. The only MAYBE exception (I never touched RE6 and never will) is Ada Wong, but that’s more because the team seems to have fanboy hard-ons for her to the point they’re playing favorites. All of this is a far, far cry from Resident Evil 3 and Resident Evil: Code Veronica.

I feel like I’ve written a lot here, so I’m going to post this comment, read the rest, and if I think there’s more to reply to then I will do so.

#22 1 year ago
  23. salarta

@15: While I will agree with you that characters in the PS1 era were still quite flat in terms of any dimension to their characterization, I disagree that they weren’t strong or weak. We have “strong” and “weak” at least as far back as the SNES if not earlier; if we didn’t, then when it comes to Final Fantasy IV, we wouldn’t have seen so many people bash Edward for supposedly being too much of a coward while praising Kain.

As for your examples, I haven’t played those games you mentioned, but moaning and gasping isn’t enough to say “He is trembling in fear.” You’d have to actually see him to determine that. More importantly, the narrative needs to be explicitly focused on the character acting like a complete coward and having to force himself to get tough despite the trauma, like they’re doing to “Lara” here, before it counts. I haven’t heard of a single notable case where any male protagonist in video games is treated this way. Even if one does exist, it’s bound to be an obscure case, otherwise it would be talked about incessantly. And aside from that, even if we had one very high-profile case, that hardly compares to how EVERY tough female protagonist from past generations has been ripped apart into looking pathetic and wussy.

#23 1 year ago
  24. PEYJ

To be strong and weak the characters in RE needs more “juice” – those soap opera personas just doesn’t have that. Besides, I cannot see why the females in the series appear like damsels in distress to you. Their capabilities in the series (especially Ava’s) speak for themselves and they have to. Because their personalities (and that goes for the male characters as well) cannot – they are all just to flat.

Why the trembling in fear is equal to cowardness (at least that seems to me is what you think) I don’t know but I disagree. The crying part in the beginning is part of the whole process of her transformation. She was weak but then she came of age and bla bla bla. I am not impressed by what I have seen but hopefulle she comes out as a monster so Square Enix can team her up with Hitman. Preferebly as Co-op game…

#24 1 year ago
  25. salarta

@24: When I refer to the women in RE being treated like damsels, I mean starting with RE5. A true and full explanation for why I say that would take a lot of paragraphs, and I’ll definitely go into it more if you want me to (if I don’t do it myself later), but I’ll try to be brief. In RE5, Jill suffers immensely for two years because of Wesker, kills old allies, basically becomes Wesker’s buttmonkey and is forced to act against her own values… and yet, the emphasis is on Chris’ supposed suffering at seeing his partner that way. The fight with Jill amounts to a battle to rescue a damsel trapped in her own body, and she’s not even allowed to help in the final fight. Claire in RE:Degeneration, meanwhile, is reduced to needing Leon to rescue her not once but twice, along with being his helper girl on par with Hunnigan in the finale.

Ada was not one of the main female protagonists from the PS1 era, and she still isn’t really, but the fact that Jill and Claire were left out of RE6 completely when it was being touted as the most important tribute game of the series’ anniversary, invalidates Ada’s treatment in my eyes. Since without Jill and Claire there too, it comes off to me as less “present a good female protagonist” and more “put our favorite on a pedestal and leave out her ‘rivals’ after having trashed characterization of them in other media.”

For your second paragraph, you’re right that trembling in fear is not necessarily equal to cowardice, so what I’m trying to say may not be coming out the best way. It’s how I can think to describe it in words. What it comes down to is, 1) “Lara” is stuck in the situation so it’s not like she’s trembling in fear but pressing on anyway; she’s doing it because she HAS to do it, and 2) a fully adult Lara Croft acting terrified of danger such as this is entirely inappropriate to the whole concept of the character as she was created.

As far as I see it, it’s like rewriting the bond of Samwise and Frodo from Lord of the Rings into an LotR version of Brokeback Mountain. Sure there might be a great story to tell there about acceptance of various sexualities, but it’s not appropriate to change characters that were never meant to be used in such a way so that they are that way. Forcing changes like that is disrespectful to the IP, the characters and the people behind their creation. When you get to that level, where you’re completely rewriting everything that defines a character just to force her to take on a role entirely wrong for her, you’re writing glorified fanfiction.

If Lara was a child when all this happened, around ten years old or something to that effect, I would be able to accept an origin story where she starts out a scared child and becomes the strong woman she’s supposed to be. This? No. At the age she is in this game, the only transformation she should have to undergo is acquiring greater skill, NOT going from some emotionally fragile and innocent womanchild to a “monster.” That’s not Lara Croft. That’s a horror film survivor girl pretending she’s Lara Croft because Lara Croft is what she actually wants to become: a naturally strong, smart, tough and courageous woman that can handle herself.

#25 1 year ago
  26. PEYJ

The closest I can get to a resolution on this is: well, each to his or her own…

I am baffled that you find her anxiety in the beginning of the game (completely fucked on a remote island) to be wimpy on her part. I am also baffled by the fact that you find any character in any of the iterations of the RE series worthy of characteristics strong or weak, since they all are so blatantly caricatured. Their journeys are escapistic (because of zombies, mainly), and I don’t feel any more connection with the male characters than with the female ones. You and I seem to have a distinctly different view on how video game narratives and characterization works.

Each to his or her own, I guess. *shruggs shoulders* :o)

#26 1 year ago
  27. YoungZer0

@22: You’re comparing Lara to Master Chief, who isn’t even human anymore. btw. while I have not played it, some of the cutscenes of Halo 4 lead me to believe that he cared a lot about his A.I. and even showed some emotions.

You don’t know much about Halo, do you?

“Leon Kennedy”

Well, Leon should’ve been gotten used to it by now, shouldn’t he? Which kind of makes you question the first cutscene where he still talks to a zombie president. “Don’t make me do it!” Lawl.

And he and Claire Redfield reacted in a similar way in RE2. Also Capcom sucks at storytelling.

“Dante”

Wasn’t he the one to fill her dark soul with light?

“Solid Snake”

You’re a MGS fan, you tell me. Also, wasn’t Naked Snake crying at the end of MGS3?

“Gordon Freeman”

The guy doesn’t even have a personality or a voice.

How many female main characters have you seen crying and isn’t the fact that some male character lack any kind of emotion just as bad?

“Yet it’s somehow acceptable for Lara Croft, one of the few female protagonists out there and one that was all about kicking ass to boot”

I thought she was about treasure hunting?

“You know what that is?”

Prove that videogames are getting more realistic and mature?

“the real end product ends up being sexist.”

Realistic portayal of human emotion = sexist. Got it.

#27 1 year ago
  28. salarta

@27: You’re right, I don’t know much about Halo. I went out on a limb utilizing him in my comments, and I probably should have stuck to characters I personally know more about. I figured he was likely drafted into combat in the story, but I doubted he was ever openly depicted in the games as starting out so terrified of combat that he would piss himself in fear at having to fight. It clashes with the whole “big tough soldier” stereotype, since a soldier pissing himself in fear is usually done through nameless extras and NPCs so the main character can show how “badass” he is by showing in fear at all.

Leon and Claire both reacted pretty “unrealistically” in RE2. I don’t see Capcom reimagining his reaction to the Raccoon City zombie outbreak as a sheltered man full of innocence and fear terrified of having to face zombies, do you?

Naked Snake crying at the end of MGS3 is NOT what is happening to Lara and is NOWHERE NEAR her treatment. You know this. A man shedding a “manly tear” over the loss of someone he cares about in a safe environment, at the end of his mission, is not the same thing as a woman on the verge of tears at the threat of danger or harm done to her. Suggesting they’re in any way equal is generalizing too far, to the point where you’d be saying that expressing any kind of emotion at any point is just as bad as a character expressing one that doesn’t fit their nature as established by past games.

As for female main characters crying or right on the thin edge of it when presented with danger, I’ve seen at least three cases so far this generation, and all three of them were once strong iconic female protagonists: Aya Brea, Samus Aran (when Ridley shows up in Other M), and Lara Croft.

Realistic portrayal of human emotion is good. “Realistic” portrayal of human emotion being done only with female characters and NEVER with male characters makes forcing such “realism” on female characters sexist. Either it’s sexist for assuming all women are weak, fragile, innocent little flowers when faced with danger, or it’s sexist for assuming all men are tough, strong, brave macho men. There is no “neither is sexist” here. If acting weak and terrified like an innocent girl when faced with danger is good enough for Lara Croft, then it’s good enough for every male protagonist out there, and at that point people need to start demanding male protagonists start getting the same “realistic” treatment as Lara and her kind.

As I’ve said in another topic, I’d still have a problem with Lara’s reimagining even if male protagonists were being treated the same way, but the inherent sexism of doing it only to women and not to men further shows how inappropriate and unnecessary this “origin story” for her really is.

#28 1 year ago
  29. Arysse

@28 You continue to show your ignorance and not understand their plan for Tomb Raider. It’s not about diminishing the character, it’s about actually creating her properly from the start. They have already clearly stated they want to make several games in their reboot. This is NO 1 to explain who she is at this time. The evolution of the games will show a young woman become stronger through her experiences. It’s called character development. Look it up. The original games had no soul at all. They were simple 3d platformers and she had no personality at all. The fact that they have changed made her more realistic instead of just being “boobs” is a major show of trying to treat her with respect. You SHOULD be happy. Stop spouting off like you know anything. All you do is rant without any substance and even draw conclusion from things you admit you know nothing about. You are exactly why the gaming industry struggles. They have no clue what idiots like you want because you have no clue about anything and they can’t do anything right because of it in your eyes. Just another self absorbed egomaniac who posts to feel important. If any of my words confuse you, go ask your parents for a dictionary. Grow up and get a life already.

#29 1 year ago
  30. salarta

@29: Since your post shows a lot of immaturity and a lot of emotion-fueled hatred toward me personally, I will keep this brief to avoid wasting much time with you. You fail to understand the actual complaint. The problem is the origin story itself, not later games based on this supposed origin. Lara acting strong, tough and brave in later games means nothing if the “origin” claims that contrary to how she’s supposed to be, Lara is at her core a weak, terrified, sheltered little girl deep inside and only managed to act tougher because of trauma and men.

#30 1 year ago