Dead Space 3 resource ‘exploit’ similar to theft, claims IP expert

Monday, 11th February 2013 11:52 GMT By Dave Cook

Dead Space 3′s use of microtransactions has got a lot of gamers upset and has prompted the games press to question the nature of micro-payments in console titles. However, a supposed glitch was unearthed in the game’s 8th chapter – although EA claims it isn’t a glitch at all – which supposedly gives players infinite resources. That could legally be considered stealing, says IP expert Sara Ludlam.

We missed this one last week, but Ludlam discussed the nature of microtransactions with the BBC, and said “If you go into a baker’s to buy a bun and they give you the wrong change and you walk away knowing you have been given more change than you handed over in the first place, that’s theft.

“So, arguably if you go into this game knowing you are supposed to be paying for these weapons and you notice a glitch allows you to accumulate them without paying, that’s theft as well. But it is arguable because it’s a new area.”

It is indeed a new area with plenty of grey patches that the industry hasn’t quite figures out yet. However EA responded to the infinite farming issue in a statement that we reported on here.

What’s your take on the issue? Are microtransactions the way forward, or can you not stand them?

Cheers OXM.

1. mithrandir

Microtransactions are the big evil. They are the big temptress.
    To developers, they will tempt them to make the game SO hard that gamers will be forced to buy credits, or be forever grinding. For gamers, it will be like the sirens, constantly trying to lure you to give in, and spend those few bucks for instant pleasure.
    It doesn’t belong in games, and is now introduced for all the wrong reasons.

As for Dead Space 3: Does Isaac even have a PSN account? If not, how can that be as immersive as it’s supposed to be?

#1 1 year ago
  2. DeVitowned

Fuck this dumbass. Not only did EA say it isn’t a glitch, the prick assumes, quite ignorantly, that you HAVE to BUY the resources. Stick to IP instead of blowing smoke out your ass.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Ali

Let me tell what is theft. Giving a baker 59.99 dollars to get a cake (shown to be complete with fruitcake on it) only to be sold the fruitcake as a stand alone even though they should be originally included in the deal.

I paid 59.99 to get whatever you guys put on the game with the original budget. Breaking the contents apart and reselling em as DLC and upgrades is theft.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Hirmetrium

To put what #2 said more politely, the analogy and thought process here used is incorrect.

It’s a very new area, and they have to be careful. You are effectively paying for on disk content that can be acquired for free – I do not see why EA are charging you for it in addition to the base price. Like the Baker charging you for the buns, then saying you can’t have them crispy unless you pay him extra.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Fin

Yer, the IP person hasn’t had the whole thing explained to her. Bit of a non-story.

No dude, that’s not theft at all. It’s just people being mean. Totally different.

No it’s not. (forgive me for going down the rabbit hole of analogies)
    It’s like the baker giving you a plate of buns and saying hey, I can separate these for you if you pay me extra, or you can separate them yourself, which is free but will take longer.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Hirmetrium

@5: More like the fruitcake doesn’t have fruit unless you gather it yourself, or pay the man extra.

Analogies are still a poor way to approach the issue. This is similar to withholding content in a complete package and ransoming it for cash to the purchaser.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Fin

You have a source that they’re withholding content, rather than it simply not being ready?

#7 1 year ago
  8. xxJPRACERxx

I’m sure this IP “expert” bitch is the kind of asshole that sue because people post some shit on YouTube and you can hear some copyrighted music in the background or because you downloaded a book on a torrent site and you must pay the million dollar the company lost.

100% agree with #2 and 3.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Puggy

Interesting topic to be honest.
    With all the Save Game editing software available for PS3 and Xbox 360, I would wonder if it is also illegal to alter your save in a way to have more resources.
    One could argue the save was created with the code (game) provided by the company and thus is theirs. However the code (game) was written in a programming language, so that would lead to the game not being theirs.

And just to make sure, you should not make the mistake and confuse justice with “legal.” Two totally different pair of shoes there.

#9 1 year ago
  10. lexph3re

Wait so your telling me because the bakers dozen has 13 and not 12. I am stealing even though the baker intentionally gave me more to balance out his load?

If Dead Space 3 was completely Micro based I would see her argument. However, it’s not. If this expert would have done a bit of research they would know earlier Visceral established M-T as a means to speed up the process not to be the focus point.

I love people who formulate opinions on half assed research.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Lloytron

IP ‘experts’ comparing digital transactions to the real world? Oh dear.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Judicas

Good lord! Are you that hard up for stories you really feel the need to post this kind of rubbish? Have some integrity and stick to actual news.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Hirmetrium

@7: I don’t think you understand entirely.

There is content which you must pay to access i.e. resources. Now, obviously these can be gathered via ingame and used to buy ingame weapons which you can get without paying for, but a lot of folks have compared it to old school cheats. Your paying for something you effectively… already own. It’s half withholding content (until you reach an arbitrary barrier) compared to say, free DLC in dead space 2 (which you have available from the in game store when you start).

This new age of achievements also muddies the water SIGNIFICANTLY. Somebody has paid for a clear advantage over somebody else. Is that fair? how can achievements be compared if one person paid for them, and somebody else didn’t?

There are several gray areas (as others have said) and issues at work here. None of them are simple, and this IP expert had made the situation considerably worse.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Beta

It’s not theft, it’s not even comparable to real world theft because you aren’t forced to pay to acquire these items.

Uninformed dullard.

#14 1 year ago
  15. TheWulf

What?

Did someone just compare a single-player videogame cheat to real world stealing? So, if I hack my copy of Pokemon Black (which I frequently do thanks to an Action Replay), then that’s the equivalent of stealing a car?

…I don’t like modern day. Can I go back to the ’80s/’90s, please?

#15 1 year ago
  16. TMRNetShark

@All

You didn’t know Pickpocketing in Skyrim was against the law? Yeah, it’s technically breaking the law, cause video games are real life! Also, speeding in Need for Speed will get you a speeding ticket…

Sheesh these people are idiots.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Phoenixblight

“And don’t forget the 11 Day one DLC packs. Thats a lot of content which no doubt was also with the game.”

You mean the weapons that can be made by just playing the game and crafting with the pieces? Also by just playing the game and using the scavenger bot and doing optional quests you get ration seals which you can then purchase the dlc packs. Really the only people that are complaining about the micro-shop are the people that clearly haven’t played the game.

#17 1 year ago
  18. The_Red

So people are stealing from the game that they paid 60 dollars for? Yeah right. The bakery example is just hilarious. You don’t pay 60 bucks for a bun.

#18 1 year ago
  19. DSB

Gaming was making a lot more money for everybody when they weren’t doing this shit.

Maybe because they were busy actually making games, instead of business models.

#19 1 year ago
  20. YoungZer0

@19: Back then we would only milk the cow. Now we milk it till there is no drop left. We cut it into pieces and sell the meat and fat. We then grind the bones and use it as food for the other cows.

That is the current videogame industry in a nutshell.

#20 1 year ago
  21. DSB

@20 I think kneejerk should be the epitaph of the way the industry is run. Everything is a foregone conclusion for those executives, they aren’t exactly open to the idea that maybe micro-transactions aren’t the best way to deliver entertainment.

Penny Arcade Report did a nice piece on a DICE lecture about how people would probably pay extra to avoid micro-transactions, because they lessen the experience of actually enjoying your product.

An uninterrupted experience = Higher value for some.

#21 1 year ago
  22. Hellhound30x

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!! THEFT? IS HE SERIOUS????? THEFT???? HA HA HA!!! MAN what bullshit is this? Sometimes I just want to grab the change in my pocket and throw it at them as hard as I can. You want to nickel and dime me? Well here ya go!
    Just watch guys… as time goes by soon they will be selling energy drinks for the video game characters. Wait, wait, wait… gas, air, food… all digital products that will some how affect your in game character in which you have to pay for it… PAY REAL MONEY FOR A make believe item in a VIDEO GAME!!! ROFL!!! HA HA HA HA!

(20 years from now!)
    two guys sitting in a prison cell.
    guy #1. “so what did you do?”
    guy #2. “I robbed me a bank, and they gave me 5 years… So what did you do?
    guy #1. deep sigh. “I stole imaginary video game resources to make a gun. They gave me 45 years for THEFT!”

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!
    what kind of sad world are these publishers living in…

#22 1 year ago
  23. Cobra951

What a crock. Once I buy a game, I am free to use it any way I see fit. Any attempt to change that rule set simply means I won’t buy the game in the first place. Free to play? No such thing. I still won’t buy into it.

#23 1 year ago
  24. dcarnage

This is no different than say Battlefield Bad Company 2 or BF3. You can grind levels to unlock weapons or you can buy microtransactions to unlock the guns before you reach the required level. You do not need to buy anything. Although I am afraid of games becoming like Facebook games where it will be near impossible to get certain items unless you use the microtransaction system to get the items. I still bought DS3 because those microtransactions are not necessary to complete the game but when games add microtransactions that are required to beat the game or compete in multiplayer then it will automatically be a no-buy for me.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Vice

I absolutely despise all kinds of dlc and microtransactions, unless it’s a f2p title. I still remember times of PS1-2 when we were buying a game once and we didn’t have to pay anything else to be able to play it.

However speaking purely of Dead Space-3 here, I have no idea why would anyone ever pay for something in this game, I’m playing on hard from beginning and shotgun alone is pretty much all you need to clear the game, and if you make yourself a grenade launcher with sniper rifle, just enjoy a fun easy game.
    However I definitely can see them testing new grounds with it to steal more money from us (yes, steal) and I am not amused.

#25 1 year ago
  26. DoucheVader

I have no issues with MicroTransactions, it’s completely optional especially in a game like Dead Space 3. The fact that you can use bots to collect this stuff really makes spending money completely unnecessary.

I think everyone that is against MicroTrans needs to really take a deep breath and cool their jets. Using language like stealing isn’t germane to micro transactions unless those micro transactions are required to move forward.

So please for the love of gaming have a sense of proportion about your outrage. Is it really this necessary to get all worked up about a game that is completely optional to buy with completely optional DLC / Microtransactions?

I have NO ISSUE with developers trying to create alternate revenue streams for their products. Especially in this economy.

Video gaming isn’t a right, so stop acting like there is some sort of established doctrine that supports how you think you should be treated. Grow the fuck up too.

#26 1 year ago
  27. DSB

Somehow I doubt that micro-transactions have anything to do with the love of gaming.

The love of something green, on the other hand..

#27 1 year ago