DICE 2013: Muzyka and Urquhart discuss “The Future of The RPG Genre”

Saturday, 9th February 2013 21:01 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Obsidian’s Feargus Urquhart and Bioware co-founder Ray Muzyka gave a joint talk during DICE 2013 this week, in which they discussed the future of RPGs. In the space of 20 minutes, the industry vets touched upon how to engage players, game monetization, and other tidbits. You can watch the talk, aptly named “A Conversation About The Future of The RPG Genre,” below courtesy of Variety.

1. HauntaVirus

CD Projekt RED is the future of RPGs, end of story.

2. Phoenixblight

They are only one type and wouldn’t say their vision what an RPG is the one to follow.

3. Bomba Luigi

Love CDP Red and their Style, sure my Favorite Studio. But it would be sad having no Diversity in RPGs. There are so many diffrent Types of RPGS, and that is good.

4. UuBuU

@1 ~ No. Indie developers + kickstarter = the future of RPGs. From 2013 onwards there is going to be a significant revival in western RPGS ~ especially cRPGS ~ and that’s largely thanks to kickstarter.

I like CDP Red ~ but their style is hardly the best and it sure as hell isn’t the only way RPGs should be done. Also ~ in my mind they are already in the same catagory as Bethesda and Bioware in terms of being too big and mainstream now to really make niche RPGs specifically for RPG fans.

5. Giskard

You place too much stock in Kickstarter and the RPGs to be produced from there. Most won’t be good, and the ones who are will hardly change anything.

6. LuLshuck

“When I die, fuck it I wanna go to hell
    cause I’m a piece of shit, it ain’t hard to fuckin’ tell”

-Ray Muzyka on the making of mass effect 3

7. Phoenixblight

Especially since no game has been released. Just hoping for something when there is no evidence to provide that Kickstarter games will do anything for the industry. With the games that are in “beta” that I have funded with Kickstarter are hardly even functional let alone ground breaking.

8. UuBuU

@5/7 ~ Hardly change anything?

CRPGs have been dead since the early 2000s. Kickstarter projects like Wasteland 2 and Project Eternity have pretty much single-handedly revived that genre and proven that there’s still a strong demand for such games.

I’m guessing neither of you are CRPG fans ~ because for the people who are, this is the biggest thing to happen in gaming in about a decade.

9. DSB

Lots of prophecy going around.

Lulz @ Muzyka. Hawking DLC through ingame characters was real classy.

I think the prose outweighs the spreadsheet when it comes to RPGs. What’s the point of playing a role if it isn’t interesting?

10. Giskard

@8 If you say so. They still seem really dead to me.

11. Phoenixblight

Those games aren’t released so you have no evidence to prove your point. We have collection of screenshots, some videos which the newest one of Wastelanders 2 proves nothing except that I will be playing a game through a UI instead of the actual game. There is nothing to provide that Project eternity will be any better either. There is no info other than the vague Kickstarter they gave people.

12. UuBuU

@11 ~ They aren’t released yet, but I think it’s fairly safe to say that both developers know what they’re doing ~ and as far as having an influence on gaming goes, that’s already happened. They’ve already done the following:

- Boosted the popularity of Kickstarter significantly, encouraging both gamers and developers to get involved.
    - Proven there’s still a big market for cRPGs, and proven that not all RPGs have to have fancy graphics, real-time action based combat, fully voiced dialogue, cinematics, etc. to sell well.

As for Wasteland 2 being played through the UI ~ it’s so obvious from that stupid comment that you aren’t a PC gamer. Have you even played a strategy game or a cRPG before in your life?

13. GwynbleiddiuM

@Phoenix, I think what he meant was that there has been a lot of change to the genre since 2000, and traditional CRPGs were no where to be found (well of course there was a few titles like NWN2 and Drakensang games). Those kickstarter projects; Project Eternity, Shadowrun and Wasteland 2 proved that people are desperately looking forward to those projects. The evidence is those projects did more than meeting their goals with an overwhelming amount of fan funding.

But I also agree that we haven’t anything in our hands to prove otherwise. Demand is there, product isn’t, yet.

Also, gameplay-wise, how Wasteland is played is because this genre goes back to pen and paper era, Classic RPGs are played like that, in a turn base fashion with heavy emphasis on RNG or dice rolls. And I for one can’t wait for those games.

@10 Seems dead to you because major publishers wont support CRPGs, that’s why we rarely see them anymore. In another word you aren’t wrong about it.

As a hardcore RPG fan, I think the genre haven’t evolved in the right directions. While I enjoyed the fuck out of many RPG releases this passed decade, none of them gave me any freedom to do interesting things in their worlds. One example comes to mind that was very close and that was Fallout: NV, maybe Dragon Age: Origins too it was a great journey at the very least, can’t say that about most games I played. I have to agree with DSB’s last sentence.

14. Phoenixblight

” think it’s fairly safe to say that both developers know what they’re doing”

Uh huh, WHat have you been smoking? I would say you need to lay off of it. Inxile most recent game was utter trash, not just in game play but it being a horribly bugged mess. Then Obsidian which have a record of delivering hit or misses but are known for their bugged messes as well. The only game I have enjoyed by them this gen was New Vegas but even that was mediocre because of it being riddled with bugs that break your game.

15. UuBuU

@14 ~ Wasteland 2 and Project Eternity are CRPGs. Both development teams know what they’re doing and have a strong track record when it comes to making CRPGs, with key individuals from Interplay Entertainment, Troika Games, and Black Isle Studios.

Looking at games like the original Fallout, Planescape: Torment, Arcanum, etc. will give you a better idea of the quality to expect from Wasteland 2 / Project Eternity than looking at games like New Vegas or Hunted: The Demon’s Forge.

16. Phoenixblight

Played all those games. So now we are going with games that are 10+ years ago somehow proves they know what their doing. Funny, People said the same thing about ID and Rage. Yeah….

17. UuBuU

@16 ~ Project Eternity is essentially using the same mould as the Infinity Engine games, taking the best aspects from all of them. It’s therefore perfectly valid to look at the Infinity Engine games when anticipating the quality of Project Eternity.

18. Kabby

All they talk about is using players as data points and monetisation. They’re both done.

19. Phoenixblight

Yes because an engine makes a good game *rolls eyes*

20. UuBuU

@19 ~ You’re missing the point. They’re not actually using the Infinity Engine for Project Eternity. They’re just trying to emulate the style and quality of the Infinity Engine games.

21. Phoenixblight

You are missing the point as well. ID was doing the same thing with Rage and well we all see how that went. Just because they are trying to do something from the past that was success doesn’t mean they will grab it again.

22. UuBuU

@21 ~ Comparing Rage to Project Eternity is stupid and completely irrelevant. Rage was intended to be new and innovative, not oldschool.

23. GwynbleiddiuM

@21 There’s a distinctive difference, Project Eternity already succeeded through crowd funding and it’s not even released yet. And RAGE meant to do different than oldschool, it meant to mix shooting and driving in an open world environment. Then since he was hell bent on bringing the game to XBOX 360 he had to sacrifice a lot to be able to have it on 3 discs. Ever since id decided to do console games they’ve been creatively dead. Their last good game IMO was Quake 3.

24. Phoenixblight

Rage was not crap because it went to consoles. Carmack’s entire focus for the game was using a new tech for a way to reference one big ass texture file for the entire game. All it was is a tech demo.

“Project Eternity already succeeded through crowd funding and it’s not even released yet”

My point exactly its not released neither is Wastelanders 2. I am done with this argument. Obsidian is not who they were 10 years ago in fact most of their members have been let go over the years. The same for InXile. A studio is not just one guy its a team and its by that team that they make good or horrible games. They aren’t the same studio.

Just because it was successfully crowd-funded =/= make it a successful game. There are plenty of games that were successfully funded and they flopped afterwards. I have watched the videos and the screenshots of Wastelanders 2 and I am honestly not impressed especially with the money behind them. I have seen much smaller teams use a 10th of that and come out with far better looking games.

25. GwynbleiddiuM

@Phoenix Well, I’m not saying you’re entirely wrong, but you’re not quite right either. And trust me I understand that a game isn’t made by one person and the name of a company is not a guarantee for a successful product. I think everyone knows here that I’m one of the greatest critics of Obsidian around here, but they have that potential to make great games, FNV is a great example (bugs aside).

And I know where you come from (being the student of the craft) so I imagine you know what you’re talking about and you make some valid points, I wont deny that. But, I also think that PE and Wasteland 2 have that potential to be worthy titles, I can almost guarantee they’ll be much better than a triple A game named Dragon Age 2, which had EA’s marketing, and the magnificent talent of BioWare behind it, yet they didn’t even bother to put some content in the game. There were like 3-4 dungeon settings, cave, mine, wooden interior and stone interior that almost exactly looked like each other, I’m not even gonna bring up the NPCs, enemies, weapons and….

26. Malmer

Asynchronos multiplayer…bla bla…social aspects…bla bla bla…telemetry…bla bla bla…

All I want is a well written engaging story, great characters and meaningful choices. The rest is secondary.