Obsidian has new Star Wars pitch, will approach Disney

Friday, 8th February 2013 10:45 GMT By Dave Cook

Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic developer Obsidian Entertainment has what it calls one of its ‘top three pitches’ ever for a new game set in the universe. Studio head Feargus Urquhart has confirmed that the studio is waiting for the perfect time to pitch to new license holder Disney.

Speaking with RPS, Urquhart said of the idea, “I would say it’s within the top three pitches we’ve ever come up with.”

Regarding when it would be set, Urquhart stressed that the Star Wars universe is still rife with unexplored periods, “There’s a lot of different eras in Star Wars, and that’s what we would focus on.”

It’s not the first time Obsidian has had this idea however. “We pitched a between-Episode III and Episode IV game [to LucasArts],” Urquhart continued. “Because we think that timeframe is super interesting. It’s the fall of the Republic, the extermination of the Jedi, it’s Obi-Wan going off and making sure Luke is OK.

“You have the Sith, but you have the extermination of all Force users except for very, very few. So it was an interesting time to set a game, and you know, Chris Avellone came up with a really cool story.

“We also latched onto it because it has elements people remember, but not the stories. It can just completely not involve [the movies]. It can tease them, but nothing else.”

Although the LucasArts game never happened, Obsidian is keen to pursue the project with Disney’s blessing, Urquhart confirmed, “We haven’t [talked with Disney yet]. We’re kind of waiting for the smoke to clear. But that’s one of my next big things to do. To kind of go over there and [get the ball rolling again].”

So, who would like to see a new KOTOR title then? What would it be like? When should it be set? Let us know below.

Thanks PCGamesN.

1. hives

Oh my god, yes please.

Personally I always like KOTOR2 more than first one (first was awesome too, but overall atmosphere of second was better IMO).

2. loki

Obsidian Entertainment developed Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II – The Sith Lords,Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (KotOR) is a developed by BioWare

3. orakaa

Oh yes… PLEASE, make it happen :D

4. viralshag

I think everyone would like to see a new KOTOR title. SWTOR was the not-so-good tease of it.

5. daytripper

Would love this to happen

6. DarkElfa

How about Knights of the Ancient Republic. Let’s see what things were like at the start.

7. The_Red

KOTOR2 had insane amount of potential that was wasted during horrible final act. Hopefully these people will one day release a finished game and not one without proper ending (Fallout 2, KOTOR 2) or polish (Fallout: New Vegas).

8. YoungZer0

All the shortcomings of KotOR2 can be blamed on the limited time they had for the project.

Yet, even with all that, i still prefer it to KotOR1. The writing is just miles better.

And from the last interview i read, they are tired that buggy and unpolished is all what their games are known for and will be doing everything they can do deliver for a more polished, bugfree gaming experience.

You can already see that with Dungeon Siege III.

I hope they succeed, with the pitch.

9. Erthazus

KOTOR 2 is a great game. If they had 1 or 2 more years it would be a perfect game.

First KOTOR was good, but not enough for me. My opinion.

10. Hellhound30x

@#7 wait? There was an ending? I kinda thought it just left you hanging.

Either way I thought the first was was waaaaaay better… I remember being bored out of my mind the first couple hours of KOTOR 2..

11. orakaa

I love Obsidian. Alpha Protocol was a real hidden gem for me.
    Managed to find it at a low price after it failed (didn’t take it due to massive media bashing). I wasn’t expecting much, but I was really stunned by the quality of the game.

Sure, it’s bugged, but it’s also a LOT better than many other “bug-free” games. Heck, AP was criticized because of its bugs when it still has TONS less than a game like Skyrim for instance (but press can’t criticize Skyrim in fear of massive backlash from the fans).

Story was interesting, development was REALLY good, with a LOT of replay value and possibilities. You could basically play your game however you wanted, going from one extreme to the other (you could decide to play “good” or “bad”, go anywhere from killing every character you see in the game to not killing anyone). I specialized in pistol and hand to hand combat (heard SMGs and other stuffs were not so good) and it was really enjoyable.

12. viralshag

For the guys saying there was no ending, I think that big patch/mod you can get for it resolved that? Unless I’m thinking of a different game…

@11, I also like AP.

13. YoungZer0

This is the only reason why AP was good:

14. Vice

I keep hearing how both Kotors were great and I love single player games, so naturally I would be happy if they release Kotor 3.

15. xbaconator9000x

OH MOTHER OF GOD!
    PLEASE
    KOTOR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#15 12 months ago