Murdered: Soul Suspect gets teaser site, web game cracked

Friday, 8th February 2013 15:37 GMT By Staff

Murdered: Soul Suspect has just been named and revealed by Square-Enix. it’s coming to PC, PS3 and Xbox 360. We received a very cryptic email for the project along with some very odd images. The link in the email points to a teaser site and Twitter account.

We received three images along with the message ‘What is the hardest case to solve?’ Here they are cobbled together (thanks gingeas)

Square-Enix just sent VG247 an email to confirm the name of the game. Here’s what they said:

“Murdered: Soul Suspect is an exciting new game from Square Enix which challenges players to solve possibly the hardest case of all”

Now a web game for the title has gone live. the password is Ronan. (Thanks dex3108)

When entered, you can download the below image and message:

O’Connor, male, mid- 30s, 170lbs, 5’ 11”

Detectives aren’t supposed to get bloody knuckles, but I’ve done a lot of things I wasn’t supposed to do. I lived through it all, the beat-downs, the back-stabbing, disrespect most people wouldn’t see in ten lifetimes and I never lost a fight… until now.

Steph has noticed that the area code on the palm reading sign in the background reads ’725′. That’s the new area code that Nevada is getting in 2014. This could be a release date or setting tease?

Also notice the tree bark in the photo. Looks like it belongs to a white birch tree, and you can see the pointy-end of the leaf in the top corner. The only issue is that it would put the game outside of Nevada, as the tree is not indigenous to that area. Could be Aspen bark, but the leaf pattern doesn’t match – Aspen leaved are more round. We’ll find out soon enough.

Also, is this the new Crystal Dynamics IP they teased last year?. Superannuation seems to think its a mystery-horror title in the works from Airtight Games which he wrote about back in January.

Here’s the website image:

There’s also a Twitter account @Murdered.

1. OmegaSlayer

No WiiU. ROTFLMAO

2. f1r3storm

Several Square Enix Twitter accounts have retweeted that: https://twitter.com/Murdered/status/299903423787175936

3. Sal Romano

Hey, Dave. I think you might be forgetting that Shinji Mikami’s new horror title is coming from Bethesda Software, who owns his studio Tango Gameworks. ;D

4. dex3108

Square Enix EU is where image is stored :D http://cdn.sqexeu.com/files/murdered/1_PMrWPYD2.png

5. Klaxusprime

Xbox and PS3 listed in the source code.
    Whosidata: Naoto Sugiyama
    Senior Manager Square Enix Japan

6. Edo

What could it be,WOULD COULD IT BE!??! :) .

7. dex3108

Also background image on web page is from Eidos servers :D Interesting :D

8. deathm00n

In the source code there’s javascrit with a variable called _harv with the content “FATE” that’s not being used. This javascript also contain a link to another javascript at http://harvester.netops.eidosinteractive.com/harv.js

So yes, it is square enix and eidos doing… what FATE could mean is beyond me.

9. Dave Cook

He worked on Cherry Blossom Murders. See above.

10. dreamcastnews

@1 are you really rolling on the floor laughing your ass off?

Why does it matter so much?

11. dex3108

This image is posted by Kotaku

It is a second peace of puzzle

12. Stephany Nunneley

@11 That’s the same one I got in the mail.

13. dex3108

Ok i saw one that is in VG247 article and this one in Kotaku :D

14. OmegaSlayer

Because I already imagine how Nintendo fanboys will spin this news.

15. dex3108

And here is Web game :D http://www.murdered.com/evidence/

And this are information from image EXIF

O’Connor, male, mid- 30s, 170lbs, 5’ 11”

16. gingeas

Here is the completed picture.

17. rockebas

that images make me think about sherlock holmes game….

18. Stephany Nunneley

“Harmony Gove” on the antique store there made me think it might be in Arkansas. However, the state area codes don’t start with a “7″.

Also, that is birch bark in that picture and you can clearly see the pointy end of a birch leaf in the top left. I thought it was an Aspen tree at first, but the leaves on that tree are more round.

So while it “could” be located in the Ozark mountains where River Birch is especially prominent (and is all over the South), I am still thinking Nevada just because of the area code – IF the area code is a clue.

There is also a seagull on one of the signs, and a sign for bait and tackle – so it may be in Washington – or someplace close to the sea. May be nothing though. I’ll shush. :P

19. wishdokta

The sign in the screenshot says ‘Grove’. And the puzzle out of 3 images shows a piece of wood.
    What would you say, Dr. Watson?

/ok, Steph was first ;)

20. Edo

Why are you guys assuming that it’s coming out this year?

21. Dave Cook

@20 PS3, Xbox 360. New formats are being announced this year. Releasing a new IP too late in the current cycle with new formats out doesn’t seem likely, does it?

22. Edo

@21 I play my games on PC and don’t care much about consoles life cycles,nor I follow the current events that concern consoles in any way.

23. Moonwalker1982

Really cool! Maybe this could be a bit like the parts in LA Noire where you examine a murder scene, i loved that stuff. We have far too little games that have that. Bring it on!

24. Fin

The screenshot definitely looks next gen. Texture and lighting is better than current consoles.

You’re probably in the wrong case for not caring about consoles at all bro.

25. Phoenixblight

Because they aren’t using in-engine shots. THats Ray-tracing once again. THis is why people lap up crap games because they see unrealistic screen shots think its the game but it really isn’t.

26. Moonwalker1982

It reminds me a bit of the Sherlock Holmes games of this gen. I’m definitely very interested. Square Enix is doing nicely with their third party games. Sleeping Dogs, Hitman:Absolution, Tomb Raider and now this.

27. Dave Cook

@22 So what you’re saying is that I’m probably right?

28. Gheritt White

This is *obviously* a render and not a screenshot, anyone can see that.

29. Edo

@27 I think you you need to convince yourself first,otherwise you wouldn’t edit the article.

30. Dave Cook

@29 I’ve got nothing to convince myself of mate. I still believe it’s coming out this year, and I edited that as technically I shouldn’t be presuming in a non-rumour piece, but I’d wager hard cash on it launching this year. My prediction stands.

31. Edo

@30 Leave predictions to Pachter :P .

32. Moonwalker1982

It’s a current-gen game, right? It’s also a new IP. It definitely comes out, cause i highly doubt they would bring a new IP to current-gen when next-gen is around (2014)

33. ArcticMonkey

@Moonwalker1982 I agree, Square Enix is rapidly becoming one of my new favorite developers, regarding their “western games” anyway.

This sounds interesting, too. Surprised to see its coming out for current gen systems, happy about it, but it must have been in dev for awhile. And yes, they have to be aiming for a 2013 release. Don’t wanna get too far on the wrong side of the console launch

34. Moonwalker1982

Exactly man. I can’t say the same about their own games though. But their third party stuff, awesome.

35. xino

bloody Jack Da Ripper

36. DSB

Someone killed O’Connor? It’s gotta be Da Man. Although he’d probably just make out with him.

Hmmmm…

37. rockebas

Ronan was the last name of one of the victims of jack the ripper.. maybe a connection??

38. Edo

@37 Nice finding,I don’t think it’s a coincidence.

39. napalmninja

It couldn’t be Jack the ripper because in the background of the picture is a red stop sign which wasn’t first used until 1954. My guess is for the zodiac killer.

40. rockebas

@39 yeap.. U right.. but who knows.. lol this image its creating a lot of expectactions..

41. jowadmax

If you noticed guys, there is a shadow of another man standing just next to the dead body.

42. FerretPersona

Hmm… the evidence image properties show that it was “taken” on the 25th of February 2014 at 15:47. Possible release date, maybe? It is a Tuesday after all…

Also I figured the time might be a bible reference perhaps. So I looked it up.

Corinthians 15:47
    “The first man was of the dust of the earth, the second man from heaven.”
    Might not mean a thing. But thought it was interesting.

43. FerretPersona

Also, Stephany – I think you’re spot on about the white birch. Though interestingly the image data also reads “MA” under the comments which I figure is a reference to Massachusetts. The white birch is apparently common there and there’s lots of coastal area for fishing too. Also, there’s the obvious Irish Mob connections with the state as well as with the name of the victim O’Connor.

44. Stephany Nunneley

@43 I never thought about the North East. I guess the whole “area” code thing threw me. And Kudos on that biblical reference and the date. Very interesting indeed!

Things like this are really fun, I think anyway. :)

45. Fidessa

I’m also wondering what a place called Sea Breeze consignments would be doing in Nevada.

46. Stephany Nunneley

@45 We’re all just having fun throwing guesses out there is all. :)

Every one of us will know for sure where and what and how and why when it’s officially revealed.

47. dex3108

And they wrote this today on twitter XD So……. you think you’ve found it all? #thehardestcasetosolve