Dreamfall Chapters hits Kickstarter: $850,000 needed

Friday, 8th February 2013 12:25 GMT By Dave Cook

Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey has been announced on Kickstarter for a 2014 release. It’s the sequel to The Longest Journey and Dreamfall: The Longest Journey developed by Red Thread Studios. It needs $850,000 to turn the dream into reality.

The Kickstarter campaign page reveals that Dreamfall Chapters is pegged for a PC release, and is helmed by Ragnar Tørnquist, creator of The Longest Journey series.

The game will continue the adventures of mainstay Zoë Castillo, and it will conclude the saga.

Here’s a shopping list of game features posted by the studio:

• Experience a deep and complex storyline that continues the epic saga of The Longest Journey and concludes the Dreamer Cycle that began with Dreamfall: The Longest Journey
  • Explore a beautiful, rich, detailed, interactive and living world that mixes a cyberpunk vision of the future with magical fantasy, along with a broken and decaying dreamworld
  • Play as three different characters, all on journeys across worlds, through life, and into their own hearts and souls
  • 3D point-and-click interface and engaging puzzle gameplay designed for fans of adventure games

Red Thread Games – founded by Tørnquist – explained that a third game in Funcom’s series has been an ambition for years, but now it looks like it could happen under the leadership of this new studio.

What do you think? Would you back this? Let us know below.

1. _LarZen_

I would back it up but not if it’s only for PC. Some games are best to play on a PC.

This type of games is not one of them.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Ristas

Point & Click Adventures are not best played on PC? Wat.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Sini

hmm dreamfall was a stepback, but longest journey was fantastically written once it got going.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Samoan Spider

I for one am very happy about this prospect. I enjoyed these 2 and a sequel has been a long time coming. Count me in. And also I can’t see how a PC isn’t a good place to play a point and click game in light of the mouse being a device for pointing!

#4 1 year ago
  5. PEYJ

It certainly would work on pc but it could also work on consoles as xbox live and PSN games and and Virtual Console for that matter. Dreamfall was also on Xbox and it worked fine. The combat was clumpsy but otherwise it was fine, and this story deserves a big audience.

#5 1 year ago
  6. sh4dow

I would buy the game but Kickstarter… first of all, it seems like the franchise did well enough in the past that fans shouldn’t have to foot the bill for a sequel.
    Secondly, because experiences with Kickstarter games haven’t been exactly great so far (delays, delays and delays. Companies that don’t respond to inquiries of backers and fail to deliver. Insufficient quality of the final products), I will not support anything on there any more out of principle.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Old MacDonald

I think it’d be very hard to kickstart a console game right now. Remember this is due out towards the end of 2014. Next gen territory. They probably can’t make something that’ll stand out on the next gen consoles with a Kickstarter-budget.

Anyway, backed as I need to know what happens to Zoe.

#7 1 year ago
  8. freedoms_stain

@6, you’re going to have to reassess that logic there sonny.

The first 2 games were developed and produced by Funcom, Red Thread Studios are a completely independent studio licensing the rights from Funcom to develop a sequel. They don’t have any access to any funds Funcom may or may not have made on the first 2 games.

#8 1 year ago
  9. DSB

For me The Longest Journey has always been overrated. Really not one of the best games ever, although it definitely was interesting and different.

@8 But he’s also said that they will be sharing revenue based on the license, so Funcom is going to get a share of the profits even so.

#9 1 year ago
  10. dizzygear

Too little too late for me to care any longer to be honest.

Failcom should have made this sooner instead of wasting buckets of money on 2 failed MMO’s.

#10 1 year ago
  11. TheWulf

I feel that Ragnar was a bit of a one-hit wonder at this point. Dreamfall was far, far less interesting than The Longest Journey, and The Secret World was, frankly, terrible. TSW just revelled in tropes and utterly ridiculous mainstream nonsense – I could tell from the faction names alone that it was going to be horrible. I mean, the Illuminati, the Dragons, and the knights Templar? That’s race-casting right there.

And it was a horrible black & white affair. Good this, evil that, saints this, demons that, and almost completely devoid of nuances and grey areas. It’s everything that The Longest Journey wasn’t. Even the dragons in TLJ could be seen as villains or saviours, depending upon your perspective. I like that. I like it when things aren’t cut and dry.

Can Ragnar tell that kind of story any more? I don’t think he’s able to. As such, I’m just going to wait for the game’s release and the word of mouth surrounding it. If people I trust tell me that he’s managed to follow on from TLJ without falling back on his Dreamfall nonsense, or worse, his TSW dribble, then I’d be interested.

Definitely not something I’m backing on Kickstarter, though. For me, there are many more interesting and promising projects.

Keep in mind – something like this is all about the story. And the question here is: Can Ragnar tell a good tale any more, is that within his capacity? Each backer will have to decide that for themselves, but as I’ve explained above, I have my perspective and my reasons.

#11 1 year ago
  12. TheWulf

The Longest Journey was a tale of discovery. There were no clear cut villains and you weren’t exactly a typical hero or heroine. You weren’t taking machine guns into fantasy land to fill a dragon with bullets, that’s not what it was about. It was about nuances, story-telling, perspectives, and intrigue. It was genuinely thought-provoking. And in that way it was never overrated, because there were always different ways to look at it and understand it.

It did storytelling much better than most games I’ve played, and I’m absolutely sick and tired of games just having black & white scenarios. Here’s a bad guy, you are Gud G. Guy, go stick him with your Mansword of Overcompensating +3. I’m sick of that to the point of wanting to vomit. I really wish games (and gamers) would grow up a bit and embrace things which are different. Just because you don’t have a Link or a Gannondorf, that doesn’t mean a game is any less brilliant.

If you go into TLJ with that mindset, you’ll understand why it’s a particularly fantastic game. But I know this is hard for gamers. I get that. I understood that when the ME3 ending completely blew their minds, whereas I just raised a respectful eyebrow at it. Because, hey, the reapers weren’t bad but rather slaves to the programming of an old elder race that decided the best thing for organics was to save them from extinction by harvesting them and uploading them to consensuses, most likely virtual utopias. Without that, humanity might never have existed in that Universe. With it, humanity had a chance to thrive.

But everyone wanted the reapers to be the bad guys, and Shep to be the gud guy, and just… boom. Reapers dead. Game over. The krogan baked a cake. Mass Effect 3 wasn’t that, and it just completely tore asunder the binary thinking mind of the average gamer. So I actually want more like TLJ.

My problem is is that Ragnar went for binary good/evil nonsense with TSW. That angers me. Because that’s another videogame writer we’ve lost to that, because apparently he feels he has to dumb everything down for us to be able to understand it. And maybe he’s right. But damn it, I actually like a story that tasks me intellectually and emotionally. I LIKE that.

Think on what I’ve just said.

TLJ wasn’t overrated at all.

#12 1 year ago
  13. DSB

There’s not a lot to think about, you obviously believe that a story being intricate automatically means it’s good.

I don’t agree. Anyone can throw in any number of obscure races, twists and turns without ever being insightful.

Which isn’t to say that The Longest Journey wasn’t a decent enough adventure game, it’s just overrated. But then I think that about a lot of other fantasy that suffers from narrative tourettes.

#13 1 year ago