Crytek doesn’t expect next-gen launch titles to look much different than Crysis 3

Friday, 8th February 2013 22:09 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Crytek boss Cevat Yerli doesn’t think the first set of next-gen games will look much different than Crysis 3 does on current-gen consoles.

Speaking with CVG, Yerli said he doesn’t think his firm can do anything more on present consoles than what it has accomplished with Crysis 3.

“Crytek’s projects generally will be way above what we’ve achieved on the existing consoles,” he said. “I actually think people will be astonished that next-gen launch titles from other companies might not be much different from Crysis 3.”

Yerli then went on to praise his team for creating a game with its own “visual identity.”

“[It's] a world that hasn’t been done before, that kind of depiction, the quality and level of immersion,” he said. “I think no game has ever done that kind of setting, it’s a visual spectacle.”

Crysis 3 is out on February 19 in North America and on February 22 in Europe for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360.

1. LuLshuck

state the obvious

2. Moonwalker1982

Crysis 3 as in maxed out on PC? I’m very VERY ok with that.

3. aseddon130

I normally don’t mind developers coming out bigging their own stuff up and i especially don’t mind Yerli bigging up Crysis because i am a bit of a fan (especially of Crysis 2)…

But man, shut up and just release your game. How many times do you wanna bore people with the same nonsense all the time????

4. stretch215

Fucking windbag. Every time I hear a quote from this douchebag I smell shit

5. sh4dow

What #4 said.

6. Sanwiches

#4 hahahaha

7. Keivz

Truth is he’s probable right. Too bad I’m no FPS fan though.

8. M. K.

Hope they will, because crysis 3 on 360 looks like sh*t!

9. ps3fanboy

not better than his crysis3 crap?… HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!… what a joke!

10. Dave Cook

I’ve played Crysis 3 at maximum spec. I suspect he’s correct. It looks unbelievable. Plus, remember that launch games always look much worse than games that come later in the cycle. Compare Oblivion to Skyrim for one example.

Why all the hostility about his quote?

11. mobiugearskin

Internet ^

12. hives

@10 – Fanboys and silly people. That’s why.

I don’t even like Crysis, but I have to say – it’s really the best looking game I’ve seen on my PC (I mean – beta… So I guess in full version there will be more options etc). I liked Crysis 1 and I don’t like the new direction they’ve taken but – when it comes to graphics – this guy is right. First next-gen titles may not look much better, but I guess they will have less loadings, bigger locations etc. New engines and consoles it’s not only about graphics, but also other elements.

13. wishdokta

I find it interesting the games look better and better with each iteration speaking. But review scores decrease as well.
    Dear Yerli, games are not just about pixel counting.

I damn sure hope, there will be various engines for developers on nextgen. Cause to me many games are stuck looking the same at the end of the day.

14. Beta

I know it’s probably true. But can this man say one thing without sounding irritatingly smug? Every time. :P

Granted Crytek have always made beautiful games but I’ve never been an FPS fan (I respect the people who are though) so they’ve always felt more like a tech presentation to me. Personally speaking I’d like to see something different after Crysis 3.

15. EZXPSnazzyPanic

Gonna say this game looks like shit on Xbox like unplayable to me it’s hyped up and its really not all good on current gen. or at least xbox 360

16. Demigod

He is probably right. Playing the original crysis yesterday it struck me there are very few games that come close to its graphically even before mods are applied and that is from 2007.

17. Gadzooks!

#15

You have obviously not played it. Don’t pretend you have.

I have the Beta. It looks good and runs smoothly.

18. Erthazus

Saw the 360 version. Oh my god. Does not even need a comment on how badly it is done on the console, just like Crysis 2.

It’s on minimum settings (not even medium, not to mention high, Ultra, custom) with 720p image with 30 frames per second at best when nothing blows up in the scenery.

19. Gadzooks!

#18

You havent played it on 360 either. Your comment is irrelevant.

20. ninjanutta

To be fair,the multiplayer beta on ps3 looks pretty good,obviously the pc version blows it away but its still acceptable

21. Gekidami

Its looks nice (actually i’ve heard that the beta makes Haze look good) but how often will we see thick as brick enemies walking into walls and getting stuck on the scenery like in Crysis 2? Hopefully they’ve reduced it to every so often from every fucking time you cross a group of them lik in the second one.

Crytek should try hiring something other than visual artists, they might actually stop sucking as a dev studio.

22. aarnoldupenn

I’m all for pretty graphics, but who cares when your game sucks? Your combat sucks, and the story sucks.

23. Erthazus

@19, It is your defensive comment that is irrelevant because I played the beta. I’m a fan of the franchise.

and I saw how it looks. It looks horrible if not a disaster.

24. Gadzooks!

#23

You have not played the 360 version. That’s the one I was discussing.

25. mkotechno

After a couple of months of Crysis3 release:
    “Crytek says its new ultramega powerful engine will make you shit bricks with never-seen-before hyperrealistic graphics in Crysis4.”

26. Bomba Luigi

Yeah, Console still cant Play Crisis 1.

Oh wait…. Somethings wrong here. I guess Crytek is just Funny again.

27. fengato

Played the beta on 360 – graphics were a bit smoother than 2 (fewer tears too), though the actual shooting was as unrewarding as ever. Can’t see this game doing well.

28. Vice

I don’t get the hostility either. He clearly means the PC version and even though I haven’t played it yet myself, I’ve seen enough videos and screenshots to say that he’s absolutely correct.