Ubisoft financials: Q3 revenue up 23%, Assassin’s Creed 3 shipped 12 million

Thursday, 7th February 2013 17:04 GMT By Dave Cook

Ubisoft’s Q3 financial report is in, and it’s a positive picture for the French outfit. Top of the table is Assassin’s Creed, which has now shipped 12 million units globally. The company saw a revenue increase of 23% to €802 million for the period.

Ubisoft Financials

Total revenue is up 23% to €802 million for the period

Online revenue is up 143% to €55.2 million.

Assassin’s Creed 3 shipped 12 million, Just Dance 4 shipped 8 million and Far Cry 3 shipped 4.5 million copies during the period.

Ubisoft’s end-of-year projections are now between €90 million and €100 million. It made €37 million in the previous financial year.

Ubisoft now holds a market share of 11% in both America and Europe for the first time.

The biggest surprise for the company was that its online business – incorporating digital game and DLC sales – which saw a leap in revenue up 143% to €55.2 million, thanks to big hitters like Trials: Evolution and Rayman: Jungle Run.

Ubisoft has won big with its core games, as Assassin’s Creed 3 shipped 12 million units worldwide during the period (up 70% over sales of Assassin’s Creed: Revelations), followed by 8 million Just Dance 4 units shipped (a drop of 16% compared to Just Dance 3) and 4.5 million shipped copies of Far Cry 3.

As a result, Ubisoft’s end-of-year projections are up with expected profits of between €90 million and €100 million. It made €37 million in the previous financial year.

The healthy numbers have given Ubisoft a market share of 11% in both America and Europe for the first time in the company’s history, claimed CEO Yves Guillemot.

Guillemot added in a statement, “We are now reaping the initial benefits of the two deep-seated transformation processes we have undertaken, namely the Lead and Associate structure for our creative studios, and internal development of our online expertise with versatile teams.

“In 2013-14, thanks to an even stronger offer for core gamers and continued robust momentum for free-to-play games and digital distribution, Ubisoft should continue to capitalize on these underlying trends and win new market share in both the retail and online channels.

“Consequently, in the next fiscal year we expect to see further growth in both sales and current operating income.”

1. YoungZer0

I fear for the entire industry, when trash like AC3 can sell 12 millions but a game like DmC can’t even hit 1 mil.

#1 1 year ago
  2. GK

DMC dont hit 1M because is just simple game,AC3 way more better,one of the best this years games.
    http://www.gamespot.com/best-of-2012/peoples-choice/index.html?page=2 final four

#2 1 year ago
  3. YoungZer0

Wow, people like to play shitty games, apparently.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Fin

ACIII was great, my favourite AC so far!

#4 1 year ago
  5. Sanwiches

why don’t you go hide in the corner of YOUR ROOM YOUNGZERO. Not everybody SHARES YOUR GODDAMN INTERESTS

#5 1 year ago
  6. DSB

I feel bad for buying it, but sadly that’s not likely to show up on any graph.

I’m about five hours into it, and it’s so boring that I don’t know if I can go on.

#6 1 year ago
  7. OlderGamer

DSB, I can’t bring myself to sit down and finish it either. Just more interesting things to play.

#7 1 year ago
  8. ArcticMonkey

Yeah, the idea of Assassins Creed 3 was better then the execution. I bought it for the setting/time period but I stopped playing early on. The controls and glitches are terrible… Silver lining, big budget “core” titles selling bodes well for future investment from these companies in similar IP (Watchdogs)

#8 1 year ago
  9. Edo

@6 Yep…if you like doing chores,AC III is the game for you,wait till you get to the “enyclopedia of the common man part”…watching paint dry is more interesting than that shit.

#9 1 year ago
  10. YoungZer0

@5: I’M WELL AWARE OF THAT, I JUST DON’T CARE!

@6: The ship levels are – to my surprise – the only good thing about the game. I expected to hate them, yet they are simply fantastic.

#10 1 year ago
  11. deathm00n

@4 For me II is the best so far, 3 has so many things to do that you get lost in the story. And the other games were assassins vs templars with a little of local history; III is the local history with a little of assassins vs templars. Me not being american, the history moments were simply boring and I don’t know half of the characters from the game.

While in 2 you had people the whole world recognized as important people, like Da Vinci and Maquiavelli, and the game just assume you know these people (and you should) it doesn’t give you background storys of them. In 3 they throw at you a lot of people assuming you know them, but if you aren’t american you have no fucking clue who they are. I know just Washington, the others were just random people for me.

#11 1 year ago
  12. DSB

@8 Yeah, it was exactly the same for me.

I wasn’t really in love with AC2, and I felt like it should’ve been 10 hours shorter than it was, but the idea of the revolution was really interesting to me, and I thought maybe they would take it a step further.

So far it’s just been familiar in the worst possible way.

@10 Yeah, I guess I’m gonna have to poke around a bit more and see what’s what. I’ve never played multiplayer in any of those games, so I should probably give that a stab too.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Dark

#13 1 year ago
  14. deathm00n

@12 For me the multiplayer is pretty decent, very fun to play. But if you played any of the other games there’s no need to play the third one, it’s the exactly same thing, even the gameplay is the same of the old ones and not of 3.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Shinji10TH

I respect Ubi, but AC3 was an absolute disappointment for me, because the game lacked in both content and form, i know they worked on it for 3 years, but AC Revelations was way better and it was done in 1 year+.

As for the sales, it’s not that surprising after the massive (misleading?) advertising Ubi made for the game.

I just hope that they will not reiterate the same direction of this third entry for the future episodes, or else they will turn AC to GTAC.

#15 1 year ago
  16. deathm00n

@15 I hope that they let the series rest for a while. With 3 they proved it’s getting repetitive.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Dave Cook

AC3 was my most disappointing game of 2012. It embodies everything that’s wrof with console gaming at the moment. Awful.

#17 1 year ago
  18. SameeR_Fisher

well I should be defending the game, ACIII that is, but the thing is, I spent around what an hr so far ?!, well I will hold judgment, but so far so good.

Anyway Dave, don’t forget to update the story with the new AC coming this year -probably-

#18 1 year ago
  19. Moonwalker1982

GTAC? What do you mean?

#19 1 year ago
  20. Shinji10TH

Grand Theft Assassin’s Creed, i know people like GTA and the likes (Open world but nothing consistent to support it), but i’m not, and a bad game is one that tries to do the same, but it’s just an opinion, and you could say, i just want AC to stay a Third-person-narrative-adventure that will never repeat it self.

Let’s hope they will let it rest until they find a similar result to the magnificent rebirth of Prince of Persia (2008).

#20 1 year ago
  21. CaptPierce

Not bad by any means but AC3 was just a massively disappointing on so many levels. They took away so many of the things that make the series great in the first place. I felt like the game actually punished me for killing people, IN A GAME ABOUT KILLING PEOPLE. Why refine the combat if killing 2-3 guards makes every guard start hunting me down? Regenerating health was never liked by anyone in the game, the Frontier was incredibly boring, Assassin recruitment was all but too confusing to bother with doing, and the naval missions (the best addition) are so short you don’t get to fully enjoy them. The story even takes a huge nosedive; you know your game isn’t looking so great when the intro character is the more liked, interesting person that the actual hero of the story. The glitches are the least of this game’s problems to me. :|

#21 1 year ago