Project Holodeck uses Oculus Rift tech to create full body VR

Thursday, 7th February 2013 15:22 GMT By Dave Cook

Project Holodeck is an independent project that incorporates Oculus Rift VR tech to create full body control experiences. It’s being developed with input from Oculus founder Lucky Palmer.

The team’s first game for the tech is fantasy steampunk title WildSkies, which sees two players navigating an airship through clouds. It places players in the game world as life-size avatars, complete with lip-sync and real-time blinking animations.

It’s the result of the USC Games program, which is run by both the Department of Computer Science at the Viterbi School of Engineering and the Interactive Media Division at the USC School of Cinematic Arts. It’s a long way off being a retail product, naturally, but it actually works.

You can see it in action here:

What do you think?

Thanks PCGamesN.

1. DSB

I think they’re all 15 years old.

2. manamana

Cannot wait to run around my livingroom with a move-antenna-helmet and okulus rift visor!

3. diego-rbb-93

You know, maybe its stupid because there are a lot of posibilities with this, but… just take Myst in your mind with this tech… Awesome.

4. TheWulf

Myst was the first thing that popped into my head as being perfect for this, too.

5. Mineral4r7s

why myst? amnesia!

6. GwynbleiddiuM

The helmet’s codename is “Dickhead”.

7. sh4dow

This is fucking amazing!! I sure hope they will put something on Kickstarter soon. I don’t wanna be 60 when something for the mass market is finally released.

8. Samoan Spider

@5 Why not Myst AND Amnesia. Both would be excellent for this tech. As a child of the 80′s, this gets my inner 6 year old properly excited! But as #7 said, I don’t want to be old when this lands so hurry up and make it happen.