Microsoft responds to Xbox 720 ‘always-on’ net connection rumour

Thursday, 7th February 2013 12:30 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox 720 is rumoured to require a constant internet connection to verify games and to block both pre-owned and piracy – see our report on the rumour here. Microsoft has today responded to the claim.

Microsoft passed a note to OXM that read, “The manufacturer has responded to our mails. “Microsoft does not comment on rumours or speculation. We are always thinking about what is next for our platform, but we don’t have anything further to share at this time.”

So that’s not exactly a no, is it? Our own sources have verified this as true. Read what they had to say here.

Meanwhile Sony’s PS4 is rumoured to include NFC tech to bind game discs to one console. It seems that both parties want to crush pre-owned game sales under their mighty boots.

What do you think?

1. FinalStar

I think that this sort of non-news isn’t worth reporting, but hey, anything for a click. What happened to the high standards, or does that only count for (against) booth babes?

2. Hcw87

This is allways their standard answer when someone asks them about their supposed next system.

3. SameeR_Fisher

They will both get fucked if they do so, for real, you see Piracy isn’t going away, and they are shooting themselves in the foot.

For one gamers will buy nothing that gets a rating less than 9, I used to get games that were rated 6 back in the PS2 era, now I am more between 8 to 10, if next gen blocks the used games, then it will be 9 only games.

2nd hackers will find a way to pirate the system, it WILL happen, and I will go with it if they block the used games, cause this is stupid, I don’t have the money to buy 3 games a month, sometimes my friend buy a game and I buy another, then we exchange them, and they want to block that ?!, No thanks, FUCK you.

What if 2 brothers have 2 consoles, they need to buy the game twice ?!, Where the fuck is the logic in that !!!.

Game stores will be affected so much with such move as well.

I am sure for the language, but the whole thing about blocking used games is getting on my nerves.

4. Moonwalker1982

Exactly. It’s the exact same. So honestly….not worth it to report imo.

5. Karooo

Haha.

6. Erthazus

Always DRM is just horrible for a console.

7. Gnosis

Well, no answer is still an answer. It’s not that kind of rumor you can simply ignore and MS not trying to deny it sounds to me like they’re AT LEAST considering it as an option. If not more.

8. Moonwalker1982

I don’t mind always being online, cause when i go gaming on my 360 i always want to be online too. But it’s going to suck bigtime when your internet provider is having problems and you can’t use the console. That would be pathetic.

9. Fin

This really doesn’t need its own story. An update to the original at the most.

At the least, the headline should include the words “no comment”.

10. MadFlavour

They can go and fuck themselves.

11. orakaa

Well, even if we’re still on the phase of rumors, they didn’t say no, indeed. Which MIGHT mean they are considering it or that they will put it on Xbox720.

If it was out of question, they would have said it: it would have made them “shine” a bit, or at least calm minds until they make a full announcement. Look at what happened at Gamestop’s stock value after this rumors arrived. A “no” would have calmed the markets (at least for their partners).

It’s really sad to see console brands have so little care for the ones that helped them and brought them where they are today. At a point when video games were not mainstream yet, if there hadn’t been specialized shops, the media wouldn’t have grown that much. Same goes for gamers.

The worst part is that they will present this feature as something that benefits the gamer… but how and where does the gamer benefit from restrained access to their games?

12. hives

If both consoles will have that… I’ll just upgrade my PC and I’ll borrow a console from one of my non-PC gamer friends when some fine exclusives will be released….

13. DeyDoDoughDontDeyDough

This is what Microsoft says to literally anything you ask them if the answer is something you don’t want to talk about. Word for word.

You could ask them what flavour ice-cream they prefer and you’ll get the same answer. Word for word.

This is not news.

Seriously: Google that whole reply.

14. karma

If this rumour does indeed turn out to be true, not only will I not buy either the Mirco$oft or $ony next gen consoles, but I will go out of my way to bad mouth them at every possible opportunity. And the reason is because I’m a 360 gamer who can barely afford to game as it is in this shitty economy, and these types of limitations will force me out of AAA gaming completely. Such an arsehole thing to do to gamers like me who have been gaming for more than 30 years and have given the best part of everything we have ever earned to game companies like MS, Sony and Ninty, and this is how two of the top companies repay us for putting them where they are now? Well FUCK those money grubbing arsholes!

15. orakaa

@14: well said, sir :)

16. Myth

I’m fine with it, like stated in the other thread.

Used game sales is a parasite that doesn’t benefit the content creators at all, and therefore increases the prices of new games and drives down the number of new games being developed.

If we are to have the ability to trade games, we need to be able to do it in a way that benefits the people who create them – not just the store where you do the trading.

(always on DRM seems unlikely, we’ll get an authentication demand instead – I think we’ll be fairly close to the Steam-model on consoles)

17. G1GAHURTZ

Yeah, well, you all moaned about Diablo 3, but you still bought it, didn’t ya!?

18. Judicas

Gamestop publicly said months ago if ps4/x720 had something preventing pre-owned games they wouldn’t stock any system that does this. Microsoft/Sony’s console sales would go down considerably I would imagine if this was indeed true, and some other retailers who dabble in pre-owned sales might not stock the systems either.

19. DrDamn

Who relies on who more though? Brick and mortar retail is dying for lots of reasons. Can they really afford to take that sort of stance? What are they going to sell instead?

20. orakaa

@16: this is the same kind of analyst bullsh*t I kept reading when I was working in strategy consulting companies years ago.

Many people don’t have that much money and sell their used games to finance their future purchases. It’s the same mechanism as old cars being sold to buy new ones. I can assure you that if it wasn’t possible to sell old cars anymore, constructors would really see lower sales.

This is greed, nothing more. You can’t expect to prevent second hand game markets AND keep people buying the same amount of games. People DON’T have this money. If this system happen, sales will drop, primarily because people won’t have the money to buy as much games as before, and in 5 years from now analysts will blame poor sales on smartphones/tablets/whatever but won’t acknowledge the fact that they will have scr*wed this up themselves

21. OlderGamer

Walmart would love to use the advert: Exclusivly at Walmart. Gamestop honestly doesn’t matter as much as you might think. Not to the average everyday person, and collectivly, they far out number the core gamers.

22. DrDamn

Agree. What Gamestop offers over the Walmart etc is meant to be a decent selection and “knowledgeable” staff. The staff aren’t so knowledgeable and if they are anything like Game the selection has been tailing off for years. Online retail is covering that off too.

23. Old MacDonald

Hey, VG247 & Dave Cook: I have a problem with this article.

The problem is not that you’re reporting on non-news. That’s fair enough.

The problem is that you’re reporting on non-news in a way that makes it seem like you have some actual news to show us.

With your headline and teaser text, you are giving the impression that they have addressed the rumours.

You know full well that this is Microsoft’s standard reply. And, as it explicitly states, they have NOT responded to the rumour in question.

You’re essentially tricking us into clicking the link. That kind of tactics is not appreciated, and it will come back to bite you.

24. Clupula

Not to mention, many places, like New York City, have managed to keep Wal-Mart out of our lives. No 720′s in Gamestop means that no one in a city of 11,000,000 will be able to buy the system unless we go out to Long Island or upstate or order through the mail.

How many people do you think will be willing to do that? Some, yeah, but they’d be costing themselves thousands of sales.

25. TheBlackHole

Firstly, it’s not always on, it’s for activation. Secondly, this is a natural process between boxed product and digital download.

Do you still expect to be able to sell or trade the game you download from xbox live? Steam? The iStore? No.

The only difference between a digital product bought online and a digital product bought on disc is the method of delivery. Why should the actual content (or its use) be any different?

26. ps4some

@20 Well said sir ! If this happens I’ll be buying about 3 games a year rather than the 20 or so I get through now. Hey publishers ! All those second hand game sales aren’t going to turn into new game purchases. They’re just going to vanish along with some new game purchases too and you’ll also have less people to sell dlc to.

27. Eyelekin

Always on DRM, barring pre-owned games, 2011 technology…

I had been considering picking up a new console for the same reasons as the old gen; chilling on the sofa with a few mates who brought some games (and beer) round.

With wireless HDMI and a plethora of hardware coming out that brings your PCs computing and gfx power to your big TV with proper controllers, I really see no reason to shell out £500+ one one of these. MS really need to pull something big out of the hat in the next 6 months, and I don’t mean a new version of Xbox Live or social media integration. Nobody’s going to buy a next-gen console for sharing angry birds scores with their aunt.

28. Kelsjb85

I really don’t care i’m use to it because i play pc time to time and it’s the same thing. I have all the consoles, but never bought used games not to say there is anything wrong with it i just never did. This is still a rumor until ms and sony confirm all this.

29. Cobra951

@25: You have it exactly backward. Boxed products have been around forever, and they carry with them certain expectations, one of them being well covered by the doctrine of first sale. You should be able to sell your used games, just like any other product. Digital distribution is a new paradigm entirely. Why should physical media suddenly get slapped with its limitations? If anything, digitally distributed products need a way into the used marketplace, and some countries have ruled legally to that effect.

30. Keivz

Lots of comments and an interesting topic but I have to agree with posters 1, 2 ,23, et. al. I find this article’s title very misleading. Anyone who knows anything about Microsoft’s policy on commenting on rumors is ‘we don’t comment on rumors’. So for them to do otherwise, as the headline suggests, is HUGE news. Come to find out it was just a dirty trick. I’ve seen similar tactics here before but this is just low. For shame.

31. PCFreak

What we will do with the new xbox console after Zombie Apocalypse there will be no internet after that.and this mean no fun.think about it.

____________________