Jaffe takes CNN to task over violent games coverage

Thursday, 7th February 2013 01:16 GMT By Brenna Hillier

God of War and Twisted Metal creator David Jaffe has posted a typically sharp critique of recent CNN coverage of violence in games.

In a public TwitLonger directed at the network and Erin Burnett, Jaffe described the anchor as “the worst kind of American: one who has allowed the healthy desire for success to morph into a capitalistic cancer that makes it ok to ignore the facts in order to make your product more appealing, regardless of the consequences”.

The developer said CNN should be ashamed of the segment, in question, embedded below, and said Burnett’s views “clearly have not been formed by any actual research or real life experience with the medium”.

“If you actually listened to your guests and read the studies you would see you are wrong; you would see there remains- after years of studies- zero evidence of video games with violent subject matter causing real life violence,” he said.

“On the flip side – you know: YOUR side – there is very real evidence that our society suffers greatly when our news media fails to properly inform the public.”

Jaffe is currently working on a free-to-play third-person shooter at new studio focuses on social, mobile and free-to-play games.

Thanks, GameInformer.

1. Cobra951

Hear, hear.

#1 1 year ago
  2. DSB

I don’t see Jaffe doing gaming any favors by writing such a histrionic and condescending tirade though.

Eventually people are gonna start asking if gaming makes you argue like a whiny bitch.

I mean I agree with his views, and it’s obvious that Erin Burnett is fishing for shock and awe towards the end of that piece, but his response would hold a lot more weight if he kept calm.

Looks like Burnett doesn’t just fuck up when it comes to videogames though.

#2 1 year ago
  3. CPC_RedDawn

This makes me laugh so much game are NOT to blame at all. The fact that it is legal for any one over a certain age buy a fully automatic assault weapon over a counter is your problem. Your selling a gun that has the capacity to shoot a 50,60, 100+ round magazine in less than 20 seconds!???

Why the hell would this be needed by the average household? Never!

Guns dont kill people, video games dont kill people, movies dont kill people, music doesnt kill people, art doesnt kill people, PEOPLE KILL PEOPLE!!!

For one man to say he trained in video games to shoot people is not a question of weather or not games like this should exist or they should be banned or censored. Its about PEOPLE, and if someone wants to get a gun and shoot someone they can. If they choose to use a gun range or a video game or get tips from a movie they can. AT THE END ITS THE PERSON WHO PULLS THE TRIGGER NOT THE GAME OR MOVIE ETC.

We need stronger mental health hospitals, and a better under standing of this problem.

My faviourte type of game is first person shooters, I have never shot a real gun in real life and I never want to and if I did I would be shit scared of them.

#3 1 year ago
  4. grrbl4h

Go get em Jaffe!

#4 1 year ago
  5. NeoSquall

I’m way more offended by how this Burnett woman tried to steer a Harvard Professor to saying what she wanted. Embarassing.

“[videogames] are horrifically violent” obviously you grew up with ponies and rainbows, haven’t you?

#5 1 year ago
  6. Hellhound30x

Tell em Jaffe!

#6 1 year ago
  7. Telepathic.Geometry

What I don’t understand is, even if you accepted that videogames cause violence, wouldn’t your time be better spent focusing on how weapons designed expressly to kill humans and M-rated games find their way into young people’s hands. Both of those things are patently bad.

#7 1 year ago
  8. hives

Lol. I’m so happy I’m not from USA.

Don’t you have normal, objective news there…? In Poland for example news anchors would never get so emotional and subjective. That is just silly what this woman does.

#8 1 year ago
  9. Vice

@8 I’m starting to think lately that USA simply has no ANY normal people at all…

#9 1 year ago
  10. Hellhound30x

@#8 hives, I’m so happy you aren’t from the USA too…

A guy walks into a bar, sits down and orders a beer. He says to the bartender, “Hey, want to hear a good Polack joke?”

The bartender says, “Tell you what…. I’m Polish. See those two big guys playing pool? They’re Polish. See those other two guys sitting at the end of the bar? They’re Polish. You still want to tell your “Polack” joke?”

The man replies, “Not if I’m gonna have to explain it five fucking times.”

#10 1 year ago
  11. Hellhound30x

@#9 Vice, I’m starting to think you guys believe your t.v. waaaaay to much.

#11 1 year ago
  12. hives

@10 Hah, you racist bastard :) I just said I’m Polish, because I don’t know if TV in whole Europe works as in my country, but you had to turn it into this kind of s**t. How sweet of you.

#12 1 year ago
  13. NeoSquall

@10 wow, you just went from normal people to douche in 10 seconds, the time needed to read your silly comment.

Do us a favor, free this site of your presence.

#13 1 year ago
  14. Hellhound30x

#12 I’m not racist what so ever. I hate everyone the same. (=
    You said, “Americans.” I replied on “Poland” because you said it.
    Everyone knows Americans are a diverse bunch.

@13 please stop being so emotional, and sensitive over a harmless joke.
    (admit it, it made you laugh? Chuckle? c’mon….)

#14 1 year ago
  15. DSB

You should’ve gone with “Polish Americans”.

Then everybody would’ve been like “LOL, yeah, Americans are so dumb”.

#15 1 year ago