Xbox 720 games tethered to one console, require online code activation – report

Wednesday, 6th February 2013 12:43 GMT By Dave Cook

Xbox 720 games will require online activation via bundled codes, in a bid to combat piracy of physical titles. This fresh claim comes from the pages of EDGE, which states it has spoken with sources at the heart of the matter. We’ll believe it when we see it of course, but the evidence – as always – is yours to judge for yourself.

The EDGE, the report comes from what it calls, “sources with first-hand experience of Microsoft’s next generation console.”

The piece states that Xbox 720 titles will come on 50GB Blu-Ray discs that will use activation codes” over Xbox Live.

It’s a new form of authentication they say, one that will render discs with “no function beyond the initial users”, essentially blocking the possibility of pre-owned re-sale. Digital versions of games will also be made available over Xbox Live.

This stacks up with what VG247 has heard from our own sources back in April. We’ve heard that the console will launch in time for Christmas 2013, will include Blu-Ray drive and will require an always-on net connection to authenticate titles. Read our full report on the matter here.

The report follows claims that PS4 will use NFC tech to scan and lock games to a single console. We reported on the tech patents here.

Pre-owned does dent software sales, but on the other hand consumers are used to having rights that allow them to re-sell their purchases. What do you make of the conundrum?

1. bitsnark

Thinking about excluding second-hand games for next-gen is the industry equivalent of Microsoft and Sony playing Russian Roulette with a fully-loaded gun that both thinks only has one round in the chamber.

Whoever pulls the trigger first is going to create an awful mess I reckon.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Lounds

I hope that code give you an option to download the game as well incase you break or lose the disk? Like Steam with Hl2 and other steam dvd games.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Malmer

Don’t care one iota about used games. I buy all my games. But not being able to lend a game to a friend sounds bad.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Ireland Michael

I’m having a hard time believing these kinds of claims are even remotely true. It would kill the entire market supporting them.

On the off chance that these actually turn out to be true… I’ll be going full blown PC gamer and never looking back.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Dave Cook

@4 http://bit.ly/11KuhFL – we reported on this back in April too. Our sources say it’s happening.

#5 1 year ago
  6. DrDamn

I dunno, I reckon they’ve both discussed it with the big third party publishers and are heading down that route in the full knowledge that the other is coming that way too.

I can’t see one doing it and the other not as that would give the one not a big advantage. However I can see them coming to an agreement where they both decide it’s a good thing – as long as they both do it. The push could well have come from third party publishers.

I had planned to go fully digital next gen anyway, but I’ll be looking to publishers to share some of the savings they will make by going this route with the consumers too.

#6 1 year ago
  7. stevenhiggster

@4 Ha Ha Ha, yeah cause you can trade in your PC games can’t you? No, you can’t.

@8, So what is your issue then!?

#7 1 year ago
  8. Ireland Michael

@4 And I still think its hot air. But like I said, if it isn’t, Microsoft (and anyone else who uses this method) can politely fuck off. I don’t need to be policed if I’m not committing any crimes.

If other consumers want to be willingly butt fucked into oblivion, that their choice.

@7 I don’t trade in my games.

#8 1 year ago
  9. foxmulder555

that will be the last straw for consoles, ill abandon PS4 if it happens and go for a wii u and pc. Something will have to be done about the likes of this type of stuff, it will need a consumer agency of sorts that will ultimatley settle this type of nonsense and I can only see piracy getting stronger if these companies pursue this. They seem to forgetwe made them who they are and we can take it away aswell

#9 1 year ago
  10. bitsnark

That’s the most likely scenario I suppose yeah; either both do it or none of them do it.

#10 1 year ago
  11. foxmulder555

surely the german steam digital download type case will set precedent and bring about consumer rights and end this corporate control blade runner type future where entering :)

#11 1 year ago
  12. woe

I dont know about the online always being true but according to superDaE the Durango info is old https://twitter.com/superDaE/status/298786387098992640

#12 1 year ago
  13. pleasant_cabbage

I don’t buy very many second hand games (sure most new ones drop in price so quickly) but I do like to clear out my collection from time to time and use old games to fund new tech and software. So… I like stories

#13 1 year ago
  14. PC_PlayBoy

Consoles lolllllllll.

#14 1 year ago
  15. OlderGamer

Good luck with that MS. You better have demos for everything. I use Gamefly to demo most games before I buy them. 60USD games, 30usd to 50usd “Season Passes”, and now you want to make it so games are tied into one console? Bad Idea.

I also have a hard time believing that MS or Sony will do it. It would be near suicide.

PC is very different.

First the games cost less. The purchases are tied to your account, not the hardware. And no where is there an established and socialy expected means to trade, buy or sell used PC games. Not to meantion that Steam doesn’t charge you a yearly fee to use the games that you buy. Unless of course it is a MMOrpg(and that is slightly different). Oh…and Free Sony Online? I doubt it will be either. Wait for PSN+ to morph into something just like Live.

Still too early to know anything for sure. But if the new hardware won’t play used, rented or barrowed games, they will have an extremly hard time selling.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Doomsayer

Even though this is all rumours for now, i actually think its a great idea. No more do i need to change DVDs, just turn on the xbox and start the game you want. Also if you have a game tied to your account you could also play it on your surface or windows phone. So yes its a logical step to go into this direction and i couldnt care less to sell my old games for a fraction of the cost.

Cheers

#16 1 year ago
  17. Pytox

then the EU will sue them big time probably heh

#17 1 year ago
  18. Myth

They will both do it – they have zero incentive not to, except competition with each other and it just doesn’t make sense to compete on this point.

You think this will hurt the consolemakers? It won’t. Second-hand sales support the game stores that buy the games from you, and sell them to another gamer. The producer of the consoles and the producer of the games receive absolutely nothing from that transaction – in fact, there is a solid argument to be made that this transaction cuts into the funds the gamer would otherwise use for another original game.

This would probably kill a lot of the stores that deal in second-hand games, as this market has exploded as a revenue source for them over this generation of consoles. But while that results in less exposure for consoles in the mall, I think both Sony and MS realize that this is a dying model anyway and are preparing their consoles for the fully digital marketplace.

#18 1 year ago
  19. Ekona

Whilst I can see for a proportion of gamers it would be a bad thing, for the vast majority it wouldn’t be a problem at all. It certainly won’t effect me in the slightest, the amount of times I’ve traded a game in I can count on one hand in over 20 years of gaming.

Not being able to borrow a game off a mate would be an irritant, but nothing more.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Myth

@15 I think you’ll see them use an account-based model like Steam, where new hardware needs your acceptance through a verification system to play your games.

#20 1 year ago
  21. stretch215

Surely if they do go this route they’ll be able to afford to have more sales/specials? I mean, I rarely buy used games, and I never sell/trade any either. So if this can make game prices a little cheaper, I say go for it. Edit: Sucks for people who rent games though.

#21 1 year ago
  22. OlderGamer

Doomsayer, you don’t live in a bubble do you? Or work for MS, lol?

Do you have any idea how much of the pie used games are? I know from a biz stand point companies think that means drastic lost revenue. I can’t argue that, but it also means drasticly less games in circulation. If you guys think the average joe is going to drop 100usd for each game you have lost your mind.

MS might as well tell each would be system owner where they can go to find and buy a Tablet or something else. If the new hardware does have tethered games, the current gen will live for another 6 years.

#22 1 year ago
  23. silkvg247

If it were true, console games would have to drop in price the same way PC games did. Nobody will pay £40 for a game that can only run on their machine and cannot be sold.

It’s just an abhorrent and ridiculous notion that if you buy something it’s not actually yours.

The last time I checked if I bought a book, film, CD, car, pants, cat, dog, shoe, pie, orangutan, guitar, dart board, board game, russian doll or antique lamp – then I could not only share it with my friends and family, I could also sell it on when I was bored of it.

Why the fuck do games have to be so different? Should they have special privileges?

Steam isn’t much better in that regard. Sure, there are workarounds such as logging into your partner’s account, but this whole mentality that you can’t share or resell games is just bloody stupid. I’m not surprised piracy came about like it did.

#23 1 year ago
  24. Valkryst12

Haha, if it ends up being true … Gamestop are in big trouble, or any other re-seller of used games.

#24 1 year ago
  25. YoungZer0

@7: But you get a shitload of better prices. The consoles market is fucked because the greedy shiteating publishers are still charging up to 50 Euros for a game that has been on the market for more than 6 months.

#25 1 year ago
  26. stevenhiggster

@18 Probably the most sensible comment I’ve seen on this matter.

#26 1 year ago
  27. stretch215

@ 22 what are you talking about $100 games. We are nowhere near that level of inflation. As far as publishers are concerned those “used” games are already out of circulation, so tethering games will not increase cost. At all. If anything the games may get cheaper if cutting out the “used” market leads to more profits.

#27 1 year ago
  28. Valkryst12

@27 In Australia, we pay anywhere between $80-$120 for new release titles.

#28 1 year ago
  29. Ireland Michael

@18 So who, pray tell, is going to sell the consoles to the consumers then?

#29 1 year ago
  30. Erthazus

Online activation?

Welcome to the PC gaming feature (that many console gamers will hate for a while)

In my opinion this thing just makes it worse for the consoles because in the past you just used the disc and DONE.
    Now, you need to have a code. But the thing is with Keyboard it is much easier to type, but with controller…….

Maybe touch screen will have keyboard but that’s not really good. I hate these codes myself to be honest.

#30 1 year ago
  31. stevenhiggster

@25, its all about supply and demand. Console games are only more expensive than PC games because they can be. If PC gaming becomes more popular than console gaming you can bet your ass the game prices will increase too. A lot of PC games are becoming more in line with console prices just now anyway.

#31 1 year ago
  32. viralshag

Considering MS allows you to create a Live/MS account using any email account nowadays and not a horrible Hotmail account, I imagine they will ask you to either transfer or create a new account. Like I did for Windows 8, which I then transferred my old Hotmail/Live account to along with all my digital purchases. I imagine your codes will be linked to the account rather than the console.

Besides, they have the WiiU’s mistake to learn from as I’m sure there was a story where you could buy a pre-owned console with someone else’s digital purchases on the machine.

I don’t see why this is a big deal. This is more like the PC market if anything. I haven’t been able to return or trade in a digital PC purchase… ever.

@31, Agreed. PC gaming seems to be creeping up and up. It’s only due to Steam sales people still get really good deals.

#32 1 year ago
  33. Esper

XBLIG has an alway-online requirement so MS is not really adverse to the idea to begin with.

#33 1 year ago
  34. YoungZer0

@31: … but they are as popular already, so nope.

#34 1 year ago
  35. orakaa

Great… so that means that if your Internet doesn’t work then you can’t play with the games you BOUGHT?

What if some Anonymous “genius” decides to launch an attack and render the service not available?

What if you move to a new house/apartment and have no Internet connection (happened to me a year ago and due to various reasons I had to wait 3 months before having Internet at home)?

What if, just like me, you don’t have time to play all the games that are released and still enjoy discovering/buying old games through occasion? Many PS3/360 games CAN’T be found at retail anymore (I’m not talking about previous gen), and you HAVE to rely on second-hand market (eBay or whatever) to get them if you want.

I really hope it won’t be the case and that those are just rumors, but that could really be a deal breaker for me, just like the region-locking of the 3DS made me not buy it (I had a ration of 50% EU, 10% US and 40% JAP games on my DS).

#35 1 year ago
  36. DrDamn

“But the thing is with Keyboard it is much easier to do, but with controller……”

Yeah, spending a minute wrestling with a controller to input a code is going to be the key factor in all this…

#36 1 year ago
  37. pablo2008jedi

Well I buy most of my console games as ‘used’. Why? I think the full price of a game is too high for 90% of the games out there. I occasionally rent.

But I am in a minority, I don’t buy games to play online. I mainly buy games for the single player experience. But games these days are developed and promoted for their online play. Don’t get me wrong, I do occasionally play online but its rarity on my consoles and I using stick to the PC & MMOs for that.

And why, after a few months or release, are digital download version more expensive then DVD/BluRay versions?

Tying games to the hardware is a bad move and if it does happen in the new generation then either prices of the games need to be halved or I’ll stick with my PC….

#37 1 year ago
  38. locus2k1

So this is definitely not an “upgrade” of the current situation? By that I mean instead of it being “no MP for you unless you buy an access code from us for 1200 points” to now being both SP and MP? It could allow Second-hand sales to continue but allowing MS (which I would help would be shared out to the publisher/developer of said game) to take a small amount of money from the sale.

That is what they disliked the most right? that second-hand games = 100% money for the retailer and 0% for the developer(s). Just seems insane to completely take the retailer completely out of the loop, as in return could the retailer not boycott releases as Second-Hand sales make a last sum of their profits (If I remember correctly from being reported previously somewhere…)

EDIT: I’ll be honest though, personally the only second hand games I purchase are ones I have struggled to find brand new. It is a rarity this happens, but when it does these new rules could mean that if I don;t buy that niche game day one I’d be doomed to never own it. Fingers crossed all games will also be available digitally! :)

#38 1 year ago
  39. Doomsayer

@22 Last time i checked at least there was no bubble ;) and yes its just my opinion. But im tired of switching DVDs. I just want all my stuff available on the hdd, thats it. And if you look closely it didnt bring the PC market down. These days you have steam and origin and even though there was the usual outcry on the internet first, most of the people are fine with it now. And yes i also dont buy used games, so i couldnt care less what the second hand dealers do.

Cheers

#39 1 year ago
  40. orakaa

And also, when you buy something, it’s supposed to be YOURS. I don’t pay $60 to “rent” a game. I pay this amount of money to have it and play it one day, when I will have the time, even if it’s in 10 years, not “until the company who ‘really’ owns it decide to shut their server or force me to move to a new system”.

What will happen when new models will release AFTER PS4/Xbox720??? What if Sony and Microsoft decide to force you to buy their new console “because the old one is going to stop being supported”?

It will be too late to react at that point… But then again, let’s see if the rumors are true or not.

#40 1 year ago
  41. Myth

@29 Large electronics stores, walmarts, etc. You’ll see them where you buy your iPads and iPhones today.

In 5 years we’ll wonder how anyone ever made a living having a gaming-focused retail store with the overhead this requires.

#41 1 year ago
  42. lexph3re

eehhh this makes since seeing how bad piracy was on the 360. However, its not something I am interested in investing in.

#42 1 year ago
  43. Paranormal Pett

This is just stupid. If either company goes through with this, I refuse to buy the next gen. It wouldn’t be worth my time. I always swap games with friends, as I don’t have a lot of disposable income and I occasionally pick up the second hand game.

What about the ramifications of doing this? People who don’t have a online connection can not play games, and yes, not everyone has a good connection or can afford it. What about all those jobs that could potentially be lost? As a lot of company’s rely on 2nd hand sales to remain open. Where then will you buy these games in high street? Asda, tesco?? no chance, they haven’t even stocked ni no kuni wrath of the white witch in my area. Game developers will then be worried about taking a risks with their games as people won’t be able to afford every new release. So yeah, brilliant.

#43 1 year ago
  44. pablo2008jedi

The issue with “piracy” is nothing to do with it, its the fact the second hand market give no money to the devs/pubs

There will always be piracy, ALWAYS! That can’t be stopped… but the second hand market can be.

#44 1 year ago
  45. lexph3re

Hey if you think piracy can’t be stopped and isn’t a factor in this then you keep believing it. It’s only one of the main reasons they did a hardware revision on 360 and addeda security patch to every 360 disc.

Sure they might want to stop second hand distributors but seeing how this is about MS it should be taken as personal reasons for MS and not industry reasons.

#45 1 year ago
  46. Myth

I think it would be helpful if you took a step back and looked at this from another angle:

Today, used game sales do not benefit the people who create awesome games at all. The sale is at the store only, and no money reaches the developers. And I don’t mean this figuratively, I mean it literally: ZERO benefit to developers and publishers and distributors.

But used game sales is fairly large, millions are made on this by the stores – yet in the creation of new and better games, the used game market is a huge parasite, as the money stays with the retail store.

Here’s the math for a new game: 60 USD purchase price, about 20-30 USD go to the store and the rest go to the publisher and distributor.

And for a used game: Store pays 20 USD to gamer A, store sells the game to Gamer B for 40 USD – Store makes 20 USD, publisher makes 0. But Gamer A has 20 USD more to spend, and Gamer B has 40 less – meaning 20 dollars less in the market for new games that might benefit the developers.

So what happens when they can no longer do this? It costs the average consumer a game or two a year, as the average price increases, however a lot more money goes towards the development of new games and sales go up in new games as well.

This will allow prices to drop (more people to finance the development should do this, even if the distributors and publishers take a cut), and it’ll give us more original games.

And if this becomes the model and legal issues (like the German case) forces console makers to allow the sale of used games, transferring the licenses within the marketplace of the new consoles should be doable.

It will, however, suddenly have to benefit the developers and publishers of the consoles, instead of the – in this case – parasitic stores.

I’m fully aware that it sucks to have to pay more for a new game than a used one, and I’m definitely way past the age and income level where I can truly relate to this, but you just can’t argue this is bad for either game companies or the console makers – it can only be to their benefit.

#46 1 year ago
  47. Gadzooks!

I’d like to go fully digital next gen. Retail is nothing but a barrier to that, as they have to be ‘kept sweet’ by publishers and platform holders not underselling them.

This keeps digital pricing artificially high.

The sooner we all go fully digital and lose retail the better, IMO.

The argument that used game sales = 100% retailer profit is wrong though. What do you buy with the money from your traded games? Yup, more games.

I’m not keen on the idea of always-on DRM though.

#47 1 year ago
  48. G1GAHURTZ

I don’t have a problem with this…

How can a bunch of people on a website complain about needing an internet connection!???

#48 1 year ago
  49. Bomba Luigi

I will only believe this when it really happens. It sound just to terrible, can’t imagine they do something like this.
    But just in Case, the good Thing is no one forcing anybody to buy such a Console if it should come. I sure would not buy it, so I could save some Money when they do this. In the End, everything will be good ^^

#49 1 year ago
  50. OrbitMonkey

@48, You don’t have a problem with this as your giving up games!

This is bad news for retailers. CEX in the UK will be worried about this and selling your used games on eBay will be a thing of the past :-(

I wonder if Microsoft will adopt the psn+ model, with exclusive *free* games each month?

#50 1 year ago
  51. orakaa

@45: on 360, perhaps… but on PS3, piracy was really minimal (I don’t even know if it is possible, but I guess it is, where, on 360, it is far more accessible).

#51 1 year ago
  52. Kabby

Sick of entering activation codes with your joypad?

Don’t worry consumers! You can simply scan the barcodes in with your Kinect instead.

Kinect sold separately. RRP £200.

#52 1 year ago
  53. mistermogul

It’s freaking ridiculous.

#53 1 year ago
  54. ninjanutta

@51 ps3 piracy is far bigger now,you can pirate the complete psn and dlc also all games and even unban the ps3 from online if you get caught.
    all with full online play etc,the ps3 is hacked to bits now im afraid

#54 1 year ago
  55. PEYJ

It is also possible to pirate the entire Sony corporation. In fact, I have Sony sitting right next to me, as I write.

#55 1 year ago
  56. Samoan Spider

Talk about biting the hand that feeds. There goes GAME again. They thrive on used sales. I think I am the same as a lot of people in that for consoles, I will by a few games new, then periodically chop them in for another selection of new games and the cycle continues. My PC is different. I accept the no-trade side of things but I don’t resent it because I can get most games at a drastically cheaper price than for my consoles. I have a family and a car and plenty of bills, so spending £40 when I wont see any return on that simply will not happen any longer and if this crazy notion gets confirmed I’m afraid I’ll be out of the next generation. As a gamer who enjoys playing games no matter the platform, its a shame but I will be PC only.

Edit: Will they ever learn? The piracy arms-race is about to jump a notch

#56 1 year ago
  57. orakaa

@54: it is not. PS3 piracy is NOT mainstream.
    Amongst my friends and network I know people who have their iPhone/Android phone, PSP, DS, Xbox360 hacked, etc… I know NO ONE who has their PS3 hacked, even amongst my journalist friends who are quite aware on the subject.

I am not saying it’s not possible: I’m saying it’s minimal, and definitely not as easy or not as much of a problem as it is on other consoles.
    IF (that’s a big “if”) Microsoft AND Sony are stupid enough to do this, it would not be (at least for Sony) because of piracy, but because they would want more money.

But their reasoning is limited as most gamers (including myself) sell their old games (which become second hand games) to finance new purchases.

#57 1 year ago
  58. manamana

Could be that it’s their last chance to backup the tremendous developing costs for Game companies. Could also be, that they are digging their own grave. Physical medium equals not digital downloads. If they only lower the prices but I fear that the opposite will take place and more microtransactions and day one DLCs will progress.

The sky is darkening and I can hear thunder in the distance…

#58 1 year ago
  59. Docker Al

I only buy new but those purchases are often funded by trades,so I’ll buy less games. Simple. Sadly it’s the new IP’s like ‘Sleeping Dogs’and ‘Dishonoured’-games I’m not sure about-that will be the casualties. Happy to take a chance when I’m selling off games I no longer play.

#59 1 year ago
  60. orakaa

And for the comments stating that doing so will lower prices… Look at what happened so far regarding downloadable games (I’m not talking about PSN/Xbox Live Arcade games but boxed games made available digitally).

They keep it at full price, with only minimal reductions months or year after release.

If they “kill” second hand games, they kill specialized retailers like GAME, etc. and Sony/Microsoft will totally own the market and fully control the prices. Meaning NO price reduction, or even worse, probably an rise in prices.

#60 1 year ago
  61. matirishhh

If this is true people will stop buying games on release days and leave it until price drops by 60%. We can all blame STEAM, they started that sick idea, that is why I don’t buy PC games anymore. Days of worldwide piracy are coming. Let’s hope SONY stays sane.

#61 1 year ago
  62. nhowell14

Supposedly Microsoft is going this route due to their new version of Windows PC (AKA copy apple’s every move strategy) to create a standard for the windows platform and will be merged with the Xbox platform (why they just bought Dell) due to name-brand recognition, cause common lets face it, if it isn’t Apple it doesn’t really sell. Or so that’s how Microsoft sees this playing out. This already happens on PCs, why it’s such a surprise Microsoft would bring this to their console to the people who already pay an additional $60/year just to access netflix or Hulu or play online to begin with, is just stupid. Microsoft has a habit of bleeding their customers dry with half-arsed products.

While this anti-used games may hold some merit for the Microsoft console, Sony has purposely made the PS4 as developer friendly as possible in order to level out the rising costs of game development.

But again, we may in fact see the Wii U or the Valve steambox as the only viable gaming options this time around and Sony/Microsoft may go the way of Atari/Sega. It happens sooner or later ya know. I think Nintendo just can’t die at this point. Pokemon, Mario and Zelda are stupid strong IPs EVERYWHERE, wheras the PS3 mostly has Japan/ some Europe/some US and the 360 mostly has the US/some Europe hence them being dead even almost in terms of sales, even though the 360 had a full year head start.

I’m mostly never wrong people. I have found my personal instincts to be far more accurate than Patcher ever thought about! hahahahahaha!

#62 1 year ago
  63. daytripper

The more I hear about the next Xbox, the less desirable I feel about it, looking for a official announcement soon

#63 1 year ago
  64. Iliad

I don’t think triple-A game sales will really be too affected by this, but anything less than “excellent” will suffer.

I also suspect pre-orders will drop across the board as more gamers will wait to see the various reviews before pledging to buy a game with no resale value that they don’t desperately need.

Like many I sell my unwanted and finished games to fund towards new purchases, and often those are perhaps not triple-A titles, but games that I fancy trying, knowing I can recoup a good percent of my original cost by selling on.

I will most likely be buying half as many games if this does come to pass, or waiting for certain titles to drop below an acceptable threshold before buying.

#64 1 year ago
  65. freedoms_stain

@62, there’s a big difference between “Microsoft buying Dell” which didn’t happen, and “Microsoft loaning Michael Dell and associates $2 billion to take Dell private (in a $24 billion deal)” which did happen.

#65 1 year ago
  66. tmac2011

it will be so stupid if this happens…..

#66 1 year ago
  67. nhowell14

@#65 so you really do think Microsoft is this big nice company that floats loans to it’s friends? Don’t think so bud, there’s something a little deeper that they get in return.

You’re talking about a company thats charging $600+ for their ipad competitior when it still isn’t comparable. That’s sad considering I think of the ipad as just an oversized ipod.

#67 1 year ago
  68. DrDamn

“the less desirable I feel about it”

Ummm, ok… :)

#68 1 year ago
  69. Samoan Spider

I know there’s people that said it already, but those that are hating on MS for this rumoured ‘feature’ of the new system, you are possibly missing the logic that MS can’t do it without Sony doing it. So I would wait and see the other side of the coin before assuming that Sony are the good guys here. Otherwise, why would devs even consider the PS4 to sell their games if MS has this great environment where they can sell sh*tloads of games and not have to worry about losing money through used game sales? Doesn’t make sense does it.

#69 1 year ago
  70. DrDamn

On the whole activation thing. I doubt they would go for always on DRM, but connection needed to activate once bought? Yeah I can see them doing that.

“Only the video game industry try to stop you doing something that you are legally entitled to do – sell your own belongings.”

And app purchases on tablets/phones, and digital music, and digital video …

Part of the point is that what you want to sell on can be exactly the same thing as you bought, i.e. digital products don’t degrade like a physical object would, and hence the value to the purchaser is the same. The other point specifically to do with games is that there can be on ongoing cost to the publisher for each future sale in terms of online support/servers etc.

I’ve got sympathy for the devs/publishers, but I want to see a general reduction in prices due to reduced distribution costs though. Part of the reason for current prices is factoring in second hand sales. So if they take that out they need to pass some of it on.

#70 1 year ago
  71. Phoenixblight

PS4 was the first one announced with this “feature”. I also see this as both console manufactures doing it or none at all.

#71 1 year ago
  72. RandomTiger

I’m not sure they will be allowed to do this in the UK. Aren’t there laws against this?

#72 1 year ago
  73. DrDamn

Sony patented a process, they didn’t announce anything. Sony also patented a similar process prior to PS3′s release.

Not sure I follow your second point. If they have both “announced” it then why don’t you see it as both or none?

#73 1 year ago
  74. Phoenixblight

announced = rumored which these both are.

#74 1 year ago
  75. viralshag

@72, The same thing pretty much applies to retail PC games, why would it make a difference on the hardware?

PC gaming, for as long as I can remember, always had a code you entered. Around 10 or so years ago is when shops stopped the trade in/returns of PC games.

#75 1 year ago
  76. OlderGamer

Removing second hand games from running, will prolly just require you to buy an activation code. Tho maybe not. I am not for second hand sales, just fyi. I believe their should be laws in place that require retailers to pay a % of the sale of used games to the liscence holder on each sale.

However. In the Console market space, it has to be reconized that a huge % of games sold, consoles purchased for, and online gamers, and DLC purchases are because of used games. If Gamestop sells 60% of their games as used…give some thought to what happens to the online comunity numbers if that 60% is removed?

Also, don’t buy the company line here. Removing 60% sales as used games, won’t increase new game sales by 60%.

The end result should be somewhere in the middle, less over all game sales, more over new sales, and less people playing each game(online or offline).

Some games generes could also be adversly effected. For example I know people that almsot never buy a Single player game at launch. They wait for the price to drop.

I would also like to point out that when Gamestop gets swarmed with a popular game being sold back to them, they often drop the price of the used copy to reflect inventory. Esp if the game has been out a few years, like sport games for example. No used sales means that the prices will be set by the pubs/platform holder. I doubt the prices will fall, they will stay high over a long period of time. Pubs don’t see the falling value of older titles.

Now, I am also a heavy PC gamer. And I love Steam. Hypocrite? No, I don’t think so. Because there is so much variety on Steam(and PC in general). You are not stuck with pricy big budget AAA games. MS has already announced they will be shuttering XNA suport. And reports have them not including Indie games next gen on Live. That removes a cheaper alternative to buying games. Something Steam does NOT do. Plus the fact that Steam runs their sales. If I want(and I often do) I can buy games on Steam for 50%, 66%, 75% and more off of the price. Meaning when I bought Witcher one I did so for about 3usd. My brother inlaw just bought the entirerty of Civ V for about 15usd(including the expacs and DLC).

Something MS will have a hard time matching.

#76 1 year ago
  77. Samoan Spider

@75 Its been around a long time for PC gamers and we’re used to it to a degree, but with systems like Steam and Origin you have the ability to shift devices and still play the games you own. This sounds a lot like a product is tied to one system until the license is shifted like current gen DLC. Whilst there’s no law here to stop it happening its not going to be good for anyone who does play in several locations.

#77 1 year ago
  78. viralshag

@76, I still don’t understand how buying a game for next to nothing in a Steam sale is better than buying pre-owned. The Witcher 1 for 3 USD, which valve will still take a cut of… That 2.75 USD will probably never make it back to the dev either.

@77, Like I said, I think it will be account linked but with regards to a console, other than taking your disc and/or console from one location to another, I don’t see what new problems this system would bring. After all, it’s like if I buy a newer version of the 360, I just transfer everything over to that and away I go.

However, if your account is locked to one machine and you can’t “guest” in at someone elses it would be a problem.

#78 1 year ago
  79. Bill_E_Talent

Gamestop shares will tank if this happens, they would have zero incentive to stock nextgen consoles.

#79 1 year ago
  80. Phoenixblight

Steam takes 30% off the top and most sales are them removing their own cut before removing the portion they pay to the publisher.

#80 1 year ago
  81. PC_PlayBoy

Some idiots need to stop comparing this to what’s happening in PC gaming.

1) There is no licence fee to pay on PC, therefore games are cheaper. On consoles you need to pay MS/Sony/Nintendo.

2) The PC is an open platform. One can buy digital games from many outlets i.e. Steam, GreenManGaming, Amazon, Origin, GameFly, GOG, GamersGate, etc, etc. Thus creating low priced games and stiff competition.

Consoles are dictated by MS/Sony/Nintendo, you can only buy your games from their stores PSN/Live/eShop, therefore there is no competition and prices remain forever high.

3) On consoles there will never be a online store that you can visit, like GMG, pre-order a game and get it for almost half the price.

4) On PC stores sell DRM free games, like GOG. This would never happen on consoles.

5) MS/Sony/Nintendo will never, ever match any of the above due to their ancient business models.

#81 1 year ago
  82. DrDamn

“You are not stuck with pricy big budget AAA games.”

XBLIG =/= XBLA Titles. XBLA Titles have been huge this generation, are you really suggesting MS are ditching them and just chucking out AAA releases?

#82 1 year ago
  83. Fin

Can I resell my Steam/GOG games?

#83 1 year ago
  84. viralshag

@80, I would think their cut is taken off for sales but even so. In a Steam sale offering 75% off, which a lot of PC gamers probably wait for knowing these days it’s inevitable, still means they need to shift 4x the amount of copies to make their original target price.

Surely there’s going to be a point when you ask why you pay full price in the first place for digital games, even on the PC? They’re only £10-15 cheaper normally than the console retail version.

@81, Unless you can comprehend the actual comparisons being made to PC gaming, please pipe down.

#84 1 year ago
  85. PC_PlayBoy

On a side note: You should stop playing games because it’s inevitable the whole industry is going digital.

If you’re that concerned with re-selling shit….then stick with board games!

You comprehend nothing. it’s only denoted in your brainless posts.

#85 1 year ago
  86. viralshag

Point proved…

#86 1 year ago
  87. PC_PlayBoy

Console gamers need to wake up. This was always going to be inevitable on their platform. Sooner or later.

#87 1 year ago
  88. viralshag

Listen, stop being so angry about the console industry dictating the PC platform. Stop crying about it.

#88 1 year ago
  89. manamana

@87 talking about brainless posts: why don’t you just go back to where you came from?

#89 1 year ago
  90. OlderGamer

“XBLIG =/= XBLA Titles. XBLA Titles have been huge this generation, are you really suggesting MS are ditching them”

Who is ditching who?

Most XBLA games are also on Steam…and at lower prices.

Keep in mind what worked for this past/current gen isn’t just a shoe to start working on the next set of hardware. Things are different now. There is going to be stiff competition going forward. Several new systems are launching. And as for XBLA games, not only are they on steam, but they are going mobile. Basicly same game, larger user base, cheaper to dev, I think a lot of experimentation is going on.

There have a lot of rumblings going on about how poorly it is to work with MS as an Indie/Arcade and the return on investment is also poor.

Just saying, don’t assume arcade games will be a major part of the equation. Unless you like Kinect Arcade games. Go look at the recently released list and their time lines for XBLA.

#90 1 year ago
  91. PC_PlayBoy

More delusional gobshite from you. You’re like the mental patient that doesn’t know they are mental…lol

#91 1 year ago
  92. PC_PlayBoy

viralshag’s alt account speaks…

#92 1 year ago
  93. Ireland Michael

@91 You do realise your point would be very better made if you didn’t resort to petty name calling in every second paragraph?

#93 1 year ago
  94. viralshag

@91, Sorry, I’m trying to read between the tears but you’re making it really difficult.

Like I need an alt account…

#94 1 year ago
  95. Cobra951

At least your name is honest. Well, maybe change “play” to “troll”.

A code activation, while it still irks the hell out of me, would not be a complete barrier to entry for me (like a forced constant connection would be). It’s still a mistake, if it happens. Everything reported at this point is a rumor.

#95 1 year ago
  96. PC_PlayBoy

Here is your future console cretins:

#96 1 year ago
  97. manamana

@PC_boytoy please, don’t confuse me with Viral. You are the one trolling every second console thread.

#97 1 year ago
  98. Ireland Michael

Cretins? Really?

#98 1 year ago
  99. viralshag

@95, Despite not worrying too much about an “always-on” system as I actively try to avoid ever being offline when it comes to gaming at home (which is pretty much the only place I do game), I do think that would be the bigger problem for me.

@97, No need to sound THAT offended. :P

#99 1 year ago
  100. manamana

:-D

#100 1 year ago
  101. DrDamn

This was the context of that quote …

“Because there is so much variety on Steam(and PC in general). You are not stuck with pricy big budget AAA games. MS has already announced they will be shuttering XNA suport. And reports have them not including Indie games next gen on Live. That removes a cheaper alternative to buying games.”

How are you stuck with pricy big budget AAA games if you go console only? The fact some of the titles also appear on PC doesn’t negate the fact they also appear on consoles.

“Go look at the recently released list and their time lines for XBLA.”

In the last couple of weeks we’ve had Skulls of the Shogun and The Cave. What’s your point? I could have survived the majority of this generation on XBLA titles if I wanted. It’s been great.

#101 1 year ago
  102. Fin

Is it just me, or do people who exclusively play PC always seem like assholes?

|The games wouldn’t be worth selling as they were bought so cheap in the first place.

That’s not what I asked.
    Also, I don’t resell any of my games.

#102 1 year ago
  103. Samoan Spider

@102 I think its fair to say ‘anyone’ who plays one system exclusively is an asshole. They are so fixated that it can’t be possible for anyone to enjoy anything on another system. I’m almost exclusively PC at the moment, but that’s my choice. Gaming for me is a hobby not a job so I’m not defending/offending any bloody company/product.

Edit: Its not FAIR to say anything above actually lol, and I’m being disingenuous but some people (namely PC_PB) really need to lighten up a little (a lot)

#103 1 year ago
  104. OlderGamer

Why do you always nit pick my posts Doc?

I never said XBLA hasn’t been great this gen.

I am saying there is happening developments in that comunity. XBLA has been a major draw this gen. But I think that could change next gen.

#104 1 year ago
  105. Hellhound30x

This doesn’t bother me all that much… I mean I buy all my games new for the most part so it really doesn’t affect me. What does on the other hand is the always on internet connection. What if your service goes out? What if you can’t pay the bill that month… or for what ever odd reason, I’m just saying. It would suck to have a video game console you couldn’t play because it couldn’t get on to the internet.
    Didn’t the same thing happen with Diablo 3? Totally sucks to buy the game so you can take it home and not be able to play it…
    If you ask me the game industry is telling us to adapt, and deal with it, but I really think they are shooting themselves in the foot with this one.

#105 1 year ago
  106. Ireland Michael

So its okay for people to go around calling others cretins, assholes, scumbags, etc. etc. all the time?

Yeah, okay. I think I’m finally done with this place.

Have fun being swarmed by countless illiterate, condescending trolls whose sole purpose is to insult everybody and treat the entire community like shit. Because they know full well they can get away with it.

Personally, I can’t be fuckin’ arsed with that kinda bullshit anymore.

*logs out*

#106 1 year ago
  107. Samoan Spider

@106 you find them everywhere and I would try to avoid letting them stop you from sticking around.

#107 1 year ago
  108. karma

I don’t have anything deep or meaning to say about this, other than bollocks to that malarkey. If not for subsidising my gaming habit with a handful of second hand titles each year, then I wouldn’t be able to afford to game at all.

#108 1 year ago
  109. nhowell14

why is PC_Playboy such an idiot?

The whole reason for console gaming is the ease of use factor that PCs DONT have.

Why do you think Apple is so big? Consistent, working models. It’s a charm if only you could wrap your brain around that concept.

All digital mediums will never exist so long as they’re consumers who purchase physical mediums.

#109 1 year ago
  110. illuminatusv

The rumor seems to be not true, because in Europe there is law that customers have the right to sell used software licences so as games. If this is true MS will have a problem with the EU government.

#110 1 year ago
  111. Phoenixblight

It wouldn’t violate any laws you would still be able to sell the game, they would just be as useful as a paper weight. MS/Sony can do whatever they want within their system.

#111 1 year ago
  112. DSB

Did you know that there are people out there who still believe that closed architechtures are selected for their benefit?

Lulz!

#112 1 year ago
  113. MadFlavour

Thanks MS but no thanks.

Was almost exclusively Xbox from launch day until about a year ago. But it’s been going downhill rapidly for years. Just playing on my PS3 now.

Been wanting to get into PC gaming for years now, I think next gen I’m gonna forgo buying all major consoles and just get a decent PC instead. Steam makes XBL and PSN seem like a complete fucking joke.

#113 1 year ago
  114. Eddie Rodrigues

@113 Likewise, this last gen was a huge success for all the companies and for me, I was hoping to get a PS4 and a 720 but all of them systems seem dull to me now that I am a PC gamer mostly :/

UNLESS, Orbis or Durango actually allows us to make what Xi3 will do: buying new parts whenever we like it to :D

#114 1 year ago
  115. Ali

I don’t think that this is true. I don’t trust EDGE anyway.

#115 1 year ago
  116. Phoenixblight

Because paying upwards of a grand for a system tat allows you to upgrade ram and Hard drive is such a great idea…..Oh wait its not. In fact its moronic.

#116 1 year ago
  117. DSB

@116 Wheras it’s virtuous to pay a grand for online services that are free on any other device.

#117 1 year ago
  118. Phoenixblight

What are you talking about? X13 is a restricted PC that only allows you to change out the ram and hard drive. the cpu,gpu and motherboard are fixed. If you are going to pay for something that is going to be 1grand to act like a PC. You are better off just getting a PC instead of letting the fear of maintaining a PC dictate you purchasing one.

#118 1 year ago
  119. G1GAHURTZ

@106:

Come back!

We miss you!

#119 1 year ago
  120. DSB

@118 Haha, I completely misunderstood. My bad.

I agree, but I think Xi3 falls short because it doesn’t actually focus on the experience itself.

The hardware just needs to be functional and cheap.

I do think there’s a market if someone actually brought a cheaper box than a Xi3 with an interface that was every bit as easy as the one on consoles.

#120 1 year ago
  121. Diingo

If true, i’m not touching it. The entire gaming industry has turned to shit, nearly every game released has entire chunks purposely removed from launch date to then be later resold as DLC. This is why I strongly support the indie developer movement, as well as the PC/modder communities which are on the cutting edge of game development.

True innovation relies on those willing to take risks… juggernaut corporations despise risk taking, thus they regurgitate the game annually released content.

#121 1 year ago
  122. pukem0n

if true, then that will force me to buy a PlayStation.

so wtf Microsoft?

#122 1 year ago
  123. Bomba Luigi

The Reason I like the PC Most are Mods, there are great Modders out there. And stuff like Choice, what do I want? Spent as much money I can to play all on Max? Pay a little less and Play on Medium? Do I wanna put more Hardware Power in Textures or something other? Its up to me, I can do all very Individual, what is of course not Possible on a Console.

Is the PC now better then a Console? Hell no.
    Is a Console better then a PC? Hell no.
    They are just diffrent and thats it.

#123 1 year ago
  124. PC_PlayBoy

PS4/720, old PC tech duct-taped together and called “next gen” for the casuals i.e. you lot.

#124 1 year ago
  125. G1GAHURTZ

Hey everybody, look at me!

I want some attention!!!

#125 1 year ago
  126. ps4some

@106 Yay :) We finally killed lolconnor. Bet he comes back :(

#126 1 year ago
  127. G1GAHURTZ

@126:

I’m sure he’ll be back.

He’s got nowhere else to go…

#127 1 year ago
  128. Cobra951

@109: It’s a charged subject, particularly here, it seems. I don’t understand the stupidity. The choices both have merit and both have problems: open architecture and constant upgrades, or standardized snapshots in the tech space for a number of years, guaranteeing quick tech obsolescence, but taking away software-compatibility pains. The first is expensive and is filled with uncertainty. (Will this game work well on my rig? What hoops do I jump through to make sure it does?) Its up side is that it features the most flexibility and consumer choice, not to mention the best possible tech. The second has a fairly low entry price, and is guaranteed to work well with properly crafted software. (If the game chugs or crashes, you know it’s not your fault.) But you’re locked into not only the frozen tech, but also one company’s policies and licensing. Software availability and prices will suffer, compared to the open PC.

That’s about it, really. Is it worth frothing at the mouth, for page after page? Not to me. I’ve experienced everything videogaming has to give as far back as it matters. There’s too much good about all of it to go on a hate-fest over the flaws . . . except forced online connections. >:( That I’ll gladly rage over.

#128 1 year ago
  129. nhowell14

Excuse me, but shut the hell up PC_Playboy. You obviously have zero comprehension of hardware and what makes them useful: the software. REGARDLESS if the Durango/720 whatever the hell it’s going to be called, won’t be bottlenecked by a resource hogging OS, even if it is, there will still be specialized, superior drivers designed for its hardware to use.

Now I’m not saying a closed system is necessarily perfect but what you PC guys that get on here and go all gung-ho on whoever has the biggest baddest PC probably doesn’t want to acknowledge the fact that they’re not getting but half of what the hardware to do. IF the PS4 rumors ARE true, (AMD-8000GPU/4X2CPU) then it will indeed, factually be able to run any game better than it’s PC counterpart. THIS IS DUE TO HAVING A CONSISTENT PLATFORM and LOW_LEVEL GPU/CPU access WITHOUT a buggy, memory hungry OS dragging it down.

Do yourself a favor, keep your topics in your area of expertise. IF in fact you have any. I swear to Barbara Joe if you’re one of those stupid kids that buys the latest and greatest Alienware or XPS, then by all means continue to justify you’re stupidly overpriced and under-utilized hardware, but remember this. I WILL CALL YOU OUT.

Want further proof? How about the fact that these 7+ year old consoles run the latest Crysis games that comparable PC hardware COULDNT from even a year AFTER the consoles have hit the market.

Gaming is gaming, regardless the medium, attempting to justify your purchase in a more mature manner is what our community needs. @Cobra951 You’re absolutely correct good sir.

#129 1 year ago
  130. DSB

@129 Going on and on about cheap chinese sillicon is all well and good, but what about the actual experience?

What kind of prices are you getting, what kind of services are you getting, what kind of design are you getting? What about the digital offerings?

Consoles are several years behind the curve. Maybe pick up an iPhone and learn how it’s done.

That’s certainly one problem with closed architechture. Unless you happen to have guys with as much talent as the designers at Apple, you’re literally stuck with mediocrity.

#130 1 year ago
  131. DrDamn

@OG
    Sorry didn’t mean it to come across that way, you do tend to pack a lot into a post and have fairly strong views to boot. The reason I respond though is that I know you will actually discuss rather than dismiss. :).

I think there are changes in the mid to low priced stuff on consoles too, but i see it strengthening. A lot of titles which weren’t AAA but released into the market at AAA prices without the marketing behind them have floundered this generation. Squeezed from both sides, the AAA with their massive marketing budgets from above and the quality of the cheaper titles from below. These titles are going to be able to retake some ground with the flexibility in pricing and lower risk and greater acceptance of a digital only release.

Yes there are problems with the model too, devkits, costs of certification, patching etc, but the PC and Mobile markets have their own issues too. Getting noticed and being able to charge enough to cover development to name a couple. Why buy a new budget title when you can get yesterday’s AAA for the same price?

#131 1 year ago
  132. Hunam

Am I the only one who thinks ‘leaks’ like this are just FUD.

#132 1 year ago
  133. fearmonkey

I can’t see this happening for every game, I could see this happening per a developer or publisher’s wish though. One dev might not go this route but certain publishers (Activision) could force you to buy the title of a specific very popular game rather than buy it used, so they could enforce the purchase like a subscription.

Doing this to every game would be a a bad idea as they would really knock out games that people buy on a whim, and it would effect new IP. If I know that I will spend $60 on every title I buy, then I will buy very few titles, only proven titles or ones that have had many good reviews and word of mouth.

I am a gamefly member and Have bought many used titles from there and later bought new games from some of those developers. I buy many games on a Whim on Steam, I wouldn’t do that if every title was $60 and I have a hard time believing MS and Sony don’t realize that. I wouldn’t doubt that certain publishers have pushed for this feature so that they could control used sales on very popular titles only.

It just makes me love the idea of Steam even more. yes I cannot sell my Steam games or trade them in, but I bought 70 percent of those games for $5 to $20, which makes the purchase not a big deal. The question is, if Activision can require a activation code for a COD game, will they lower the price accordingly? I highly doubt that and I would imagine that their would be some blowback for that, but then again people buy Madden every year and COD every year, and so why not then?

These people probably don’t sell those copies of their games, they buy a ton of DLC, and so why not require an activation code in those games?
    It wouldn’t be so bad in those games if they lowered the price on the game and made DLC free in that case, but yeah thats not going to happen.

#133 1 year ago
  134. Bence

I hope, Microsoft will reject the idea. There are still some area where gamers do not have any or proper internet connection, and who will pay charge plus a Gold to start a single player? Remember for Ubisoft’s DRM plans before releasing Driver: San Francisco for PC. And I think, the market of pre-owned games is necessary. The developers may do not get a profit after these sales, but lot of gamers will not buy unknown or less-famous games, if they cannot sell them. If there are not any loopholes, they do not buy a pig in a poke.

#134 1 year ago
  135. CPC_RedDawn

THEY DO THIS AND THE SYSTEM IS DOOMED FROM DAY ONE.

#135 1 year ago
  136. daytripper

Guy uses his time to try and antagonise people over the Internet about games consoles then calls people cretins

Now that’s a “lol”

Michaels got a point , it’s N4g level here most of the time

#136 1 year ago
  137. loregnum

Oh I hope they do this single game tied to a console crap so I can laugh as their sales tank since only the biggest diehards will put up with that crap.

I don’t buy used games yet I know people out there do and they do so not simply because they are cheap but because they don’t have ENOUGH MONEY to pay full price. Do companies actually have any clue about reality? It is as though these execs at these huge companies making their 6/7/8 figure salaries think everyone has their income. What will happen if they do this is many will simply wait for the game to drop in price or just pass in general and new game sales will take a hit and the companies will probably wonder why and find lame excuses instead of realizing their greed was the reason why.

For me though, this would affect me since I have multiple xboxes in my home as do many others and I live with my brother so it is idiotic to think we would each buy a copy or pay for some extra license crap to each play it on our own xboxes.

Needless to say I sure as hell won’t be buying the next xbox if this is true nor will I buy the ps4 if Sony is as clueless as MS is. If both do this then you can pretty much kiss the console gaming industry goodbye and then laugh when they try and blame tablets and smart phones and piracy for the reason why instead of their own stupidity.

The mentality behind this truly is mind blowing and the ever increasing greed and stupidity (welcome to the idiocracy which every day shows is getting worse) of the humanoids is incredible. How about companies make it so blu-ray movies will only play on a single player since hey, need to stop borrowing and used movie sales. Then let’s ban used car sales by making them require biometric recognition to start. Just totally get rid of the second hand market in general and be sure to jack up prices of everything to screw people even more since salaries for most are not increasing at all. Brilliant!

The ever increasing insanity of this world is wonderful and the ever increasing greed and desire for control of corporations and companies is going to pretty much set this world back a few decades as they WILL go too far and even the most brain dead sheeple will clue in and push back and things will go to hell.

Humanity truly is an embarrassment.

#137 1 year ago
  138. theevilaires

I think its true and I believe SONY will do the same. Too many studios have closed this gen basically for two main reasons (well actually 3). 1. Used games market, 2. COD, and 3. Devs/Publishers refuse to price their games accordingly to quality trying to sell a shit Disney game or sport title for $60 every time.

Ultimately without the devs(software) these consoles(hardware) are going to fail. SONY and Microsoft don’t want to end up like Nintendo only staying alive in the game because of their 1st party titles. And we all know Microsoft needs third party devs the most as they have the weakest 1st party line up.

No way a Halo every year will justify their existence. Games are getting locked they have to I’m afraid to ensure the survival of the industry. Only way this not happening is if Gamestop/Gamefly gives back some type of percentage to the devs/publishers. But I don’t see this happening this is America. The almighty dollar is a curse of greed you can’t get rid of.

#138 1 year ago
  139. daytripper

Something has to give, reasonable pricing structures for the hardware and the games, better release schedules instead of cluttered months then gaps during June-August. It’s sad that it comes this although it would be ballsy of Sony to say no by backing the consumers which could change publishers ideas and leave MS right in the shit

#139 1 year ago
  140. salarta

I’m going to go out on a limb and say that any company that puts out a console that still allows for the use of used games is going to be the most financially successful. If the Wii U doesn’t have a block on used games and can still get the same games as what Sony and Microsoft will get, I think that may end up becoming Nintendo’s main market advantage.

From an average consumer perspective, being able to play used games brings two positives. One: you can get games you’re not sure about for a price that is actually reasonable, and rent games from rental stores besides. Two: you might really want a physical copy of a game, and after several years, a used copy may be the only thing that’s actually available.

But even from a broad concept, the whole concept of making these games so you can’t buy or play used copies is as aggressively stupid as trophies and achievements you can only get from online play.

Let me give an example. I played and beat Quantum Theory. Most people thought it was bad, I loved the world it presented and thought the gameplay was okay. It has trophies where you have to play online to get them. Problem: nobody plays the game online. I can’t get the online-only trophies, which means it’s impossible for me to ever get a Platinum trophy for the game.

Now let’s look at the video games. If the game requires a one-time activation code which only the company can provide, this means: 1) the game can ONLY be played on one system; if you get a new system, you’re screwed unless you somehow pay for another code (or the company allows use on multiple devices), and 2) if any companies involved in the generation and transmission of the code go under or the tech is taken down then you may never get to play the game.

This is in addition to how it would literally screw over any games that could become break-out successes and cult classics at a later date but aren’t huge big-selling blockbuster releases. With the PS3, backwards compatibility and no one-time-use lock means I can pop in my copies of games like Granstream Saga and play them just fine. And if the PS3 couldn’t play it, I could find ways online to play the game using my computer.

And this isn’t even taking into account how selfishly greed-oriented this approach is at the expense of the cultural good. Are they going to make special versions that don’t have a one-time-use aspect that rental stores and libraries can use? If not, they’re doing the equivalent of putting a lock on a book. They’re essentially holding culture ransom to make sure they can pinch out every penny possible. “Sorry, you have to use this key to read 1984, and if you lose the key, you have to hope the company that printed the book is still making extra keys to buy that fit your lock.”

I’ve bought every Sony console since PS1, but I have to say that if they go through with this anti-used games approach out of desperate greed, then PS3 may be the last console from them I ever buy. I’m usually happy to buy games I’m excited about brand new, even in special edition packs, but if I’m interested in game enough that I want to buy a physical copy of it, I want to know I can actually access the content decades from now. Unless they have a policy where activation codes aren’t needed after X number of years and it takes into account things like rental stores, locking a game behind an activation code to prevent used game sales is asinine.

#140 1 year ago
  141. HauntaVirus

If true, one word. FAIL.

#141 1 year ago
  142. monkees19

If I can resell my home and my car…even a DVD, why can’t I resell a game?

#142 1 year ago
  143. Gadzooks!

So the model works perfectly well for Steam, but it won’t work for consoles?

Can you sell XBLA/PSN games? No.

Did it stop many XBLA games selling millions? No.

Are non-resellable digital sales taking over retail at a phenominal rate already? Yes.

Will this fake indignance disappear without trace as soon as people see it isn’t anywhere near the doom being predicted? YES.

Some people are just shit-scared of the future.

#143 1 year ago
  144. orakaa

@141: EXACTLY. Spot on

#144 1 year ago
  145. orakaa

@144: there’s a HUGE difference between paying a 5-15$ game on PSN/XBLA and a 60$ game. Steam sales work well because you have VERY interesting offers, for cheap. The risk is low.

There are dozens of games this gen I would NEVER have bought at 60$. But I took opportunity to “give it a try” when they were at 20-25$ (either on second hand sales or on Amazon). If Sony/Microsoft “lock” their games, they will keep control over the prices and they won’t lower them. Look at their pricing policy on PSN/XBL!

#145 1 year ago
  146. DrDamn

No they never have sales on PSN/XBL, didn’t have one over Christmas, they don’t currently have one for Vita’s birthday. They never have summer promotions. They never reduce prices. Oh wait, yes, yes they do.

Oh and see also PS+.

#146 1 year ago
  147. Gadzooks!

#146

Downloaded AAA pricing is artificially high because the platform holders don’t want to undercut, and hence alienate, retailers.

Remove retail from the equation and digital pricing will drop to what the market will bear (i.e. a bit less than RRP at launch), and special offers/aged stock pricing will lower.

Do you honestly think Sony and MS have not raised the same concerns as you internally and fully thought it through? These aren’t pissant startup operations. They have sizeable R&D departments constantly appraising pricing.

They know what the market will bear with and without retail.

#147 1 year ago
  148. orakaa

@147: I was talking about AAA games, not PSN/XBLA games.
    Take ANY retail game on those digital services and even months after, you’ll still find some of those games selling at 40$ when they can be bought for 10-15$ in stores (second hand sales) or on Amazon.

@148: Because you honestly think that if retail stores and second hand games are destroyed Sony and Microsoft will generously lower their prices when absolutely nothing would oblige them to?
    You say they haven’t done that until now not to alienate retailers? What the HECK you think they would be doing by preventing second hand sales, if not alienating (and destroying) retailers?

My point is concurrence is a good factor. 3 console manufacturers is good and healthy for the industry. Retail market is also good for the industry, because there are several distributors. Steam offers cheap prices because they (also) compete with retail.

#148 1 year ago
  149. DrDamn

“Sony and Microsoft will generously lower their prices when absolutely nothing would oblige them to?”

The crucial point here is that prices are set by publishers too, not just MS & Sony. So in terms of competition they are competing with other publishers for your money.

They will lower their prices because by doing so they will get more sales and more money.

Put it another way, whilst competition between rival game sellers is beneficial on the PC what is the real driving factor behind sale prices. Steam can’t sell games for a sale price without the publisher agreeing to it. The publisher agrees to it because they will make money from it. If the returns at a higher price drop significantly then they will lower the price, or put it in bundle deals (again see PS+). These sort of market forces still apply where there is one shop or three.

MS/Sony aren’t the sole producers, publishers and sellers on these closed systems. They are also in competition with each other.

#149 1 year ago
  150. orakaa

What is sure is that this practice (IF true) would kill all games that are not a “sure buy”.

You buy a game but you don’t like it? You re-sell it (risk is there, but the loss is minimum). Oh, wait, you can’t re-sell it? Well, if you’re not sure about it, are you really going to pay 60$ for it, knowing that if you don’t like the game you won’t get ANYTHING out of it?

That would mean higher risk for new IPs, and an even stronger focus than today on COD/sequels.

I’m a gamer since as far as I can remember, and I’ve always been an early adopter, buying new consoles quite early in their life cycle… but seriously, this whole thing turns me completely off, to the point where I’m not even sure if I’ll buy a next gen console.
    Might as well focus on PS3 games I’ve missed so far, perhaps buy a WiiU and return to PC gaming.

#150 1 year ago
  151. DrDamn

I think there will be a strengthening and emergence of premium XBLA/PSN titles. Stuff in the £20-£30 range. The current model has new games releasing at £45/$60, regardless of AAA qualities, dev costs, content. It’s a game therefore it sells for that amount.

With a digital the distribution/manufacturing costs are better suited to niche and smaller titles. The ones which do badly under the current model. They can release at £20-£30 and people will take a punt on them. Where previously you might spend £40-45 on the these titles and sell them on for £20 you now just spend £20-£30 on them. Similar outlay, similar risk.

#151 1 year ago