Final Fantasy 13 – Square would “consider”‘ a trilogy pack should fans “demand” it

Wednesday, 6th February 2013 14:31 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Final Fantasy 13 director Motomu Toriyama had told VG247 that once Lightning Returns launches, Square Enix may consider releasing all three entries in a special pack. However, like with everything else in life, good things come with conditions.

Before we can look forward to a trilogy pack, Lightning Returns must first be released, then, the fans will need to demand it.

“We are currently devoting all of our efforts to Lightning Returns,” Toriyama told VG247′s Dave Cook. “Although we would certainly like to give it some consideration – if there were a big enough demand from the fans.”

Lightning Returns is the third and final installment in the Final Fantasy 13 series, and follows the events of Final Fantasy 13-2. It’s expected in the fall.

Be on the look out for Dave’s full interview with Toriyama next week.

1. Kabby

No one demands FFXIII. It’s a dog shit series of games. Dog shit™.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Dave Cook

@2 sells quite well.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Erthazus

FFXIII sold well, FFXIII-2 not.

#3 1 year ago
  4. freedoms_stain

I think a lot of people are still buying FF games out of curiosity.

Because that describes why I own FFXIII and FXIII-2 (although yet to play FXIII-2).

#4 1 year ago
  5. viralshag

I just traded in my PS3 copy as I sold my PS3… I picked up the 360 version of the first one as I never finished it.

I would definitely buy a trilogy though, as I couldn’t find a new or pre-owned copy of 2 in my local store.

#5 1 year ago
  6. salarta

I’ll go on the record to say that I do NOT demand an FF13 pack, or really any of FF13 as they made it.

I think FF13, due to throwing out much of what makes Final Fantasy what it is to make science fiction ideas and technology into the main focus, should have been a completely different IP.

Then again, all of Toriyama’s major projects should have been brand new IPs, and he’s severely damaged or flat out ruined each IP he’s worked on in various ways. From what I’ve seen, he has no respect at all for existing IPs, and treats any time he’s assigned to one as an opportunity to force his bad fanfiction ideas into being canon. He ruined FFX and Yuna with FFX-2, and Parasite Eve and Aya Brea with 3rd Birthday, and he tried to completely change the heart and soul of the Final Fantasy series with FF13 when EVERY game before then (even spinoffs) had broad atmosphere, themes and concepts to tie them in addition to each game having their own separate ones.

If he won’t go back and undo the messes he made (not “fix,” I mean flat out make past games noncanon through new games or remakes that actually do things right), then I’d at least like to see Toriyama demoted, fired or kept out of existing IPs so he won’t ruin them any further than he already has. MAYBE he would be good with making brand new IPs, but he’s made it abundantly clear over the past decade that he has no business making spinoffs or sequels for anything he didn’t personally create, because he appears to have absolutely no concept of respect for the past and what past writers, directors and teams poured their passions into creating.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Gnosis

@2: For FF-standarts it sells quite poorly.
    @4: Yeah, same here. After so many ppl said that XIII-2 was a huge improvement compared to XIII I decided to give it a try… Wasn’t even worth half the price I paid for a pre-owned copy. Don’t think there was ever a game I was that frustrated with.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Dave Cook

@7 agreed. But still, I think publishers are happy with ‘ok’ numbers at the moment. The console industry’s in a bad spot right now for some pubs. I think it’s done well enough for them to justify another game.

#8 1 year ago
  9. salarta

@8: Several companies with sales lower than they expected are blaming “console volatility” and the industry as a whole supposedly being in a bad place, when I’d say the actual problem is in quality of their products or attitude toward consumers.

Think about the big companies that are making these claims and you’ll find that they’ve each done something bad or stupid within the past few years, often several.

Squeenix made 3rd Birthday, FF14 bombed on initial release, FF13 got tons of complaints about lack of HD towns and linearity (and for more hardcore fans, straying way too far from what makes Final Fantasy what it is), and the gut reaction from Squeenix was often to openly lie or make up excuses for any mistakes they made. In a few rare cases like FF13 where their mistakes were too high-profile, they eventually created something new where they addressed those mistakes, but if it wasn’t a high-profile mistake such as 3rd Birthday, they acted like it was a perfect game on release then subsequently shelved the whole IP so they wouldn’t have to fix it or admit they did anything wrong.

Capcom has lately been more or less attacking their own fans regarding existing IPs. They originally planned on making Megaman fans pay for a playable demo of Megaman Legends 3, before canceling the whole project and having the gall to blame the fans, saying there was a “lack of fan interest.” Then shelving the whole Megaman IP except for crappy cell phone games. They also forced a reboot of Devil May Cry that was not needed and nobody asked for, and when fans complained about the many things going wrong with it, Capcom and Ninja Theory openly insulted fans and the franchise before it got into Ninja Theory’s hands. And of course, Resident Evil 6; in terms of its individual quality the game bombed, and in terms of the fans, they purposely left Jill and Claire out of the game despite the game supposedly being the most important tribute to Resident Evil on its anniversary.

Konami? The only thing they have going for them right now is the Metal Gear IP, and that’s because Kojima has full control over it and anything that happens to it. They’ve butchered Silent Hill so thoroughly, the most notable mistake being Book of Memories.

Nintendo? Most people loathed Other M. I think some people still hold Nintendo at first not bringing the Project Rainfall games stateside against the company, though personally I’m satisfied now that it came out. Though one thing having to push Nintendo to release those three games stateside did do for me is make me decide to wait until the Wii U has at least five games I know I want to play before I buy it, since the Wii had almost nothing on it I wanted to play. When it comes to the casual market, the Wii was more or less a gimmick with its motion controls. Most people that bought a Wii didn’t get much use out of it, and I’m certain that those people realizing they paid that much money for something they only really used for a few months led to those same people not “wasting their money” on a Wii U.

As far as I see it, “console volatility” is just the latest excuse these companies are making to avoid taking the time to actually look at what they’re doing wrong. It used to be “pirating is ruining our sales,” now it’s “console volatility.”

#9 1 year ago
  10. Hellhound30x

Want to know what I demand Square? How about FF versus 13? How about that? Or hey how about a Kingdom Hearts 3? Nope? Okay… how about a FF7 Remake?
    I’d be interested in those games…
    ff13 is the worst ff in the franchise, and they still intend on giving us sequels.
    By the way where the hell is FFX hd? Its not like I’m getting any younger here Square…

#10 1 year ago
  11. Gnosis

@8: Pff, I’m sure SE is happy with any kind of sale numbers. If I recall correctly, they’ve been making losses since the beginning of 2011. What they need atm is a strong main title and they don’t have one. Let’s face it: neither Lightning Returns nor XIV reboot are gonna be that “miracle game”. The impression I get is, that the damage is already done.

#11 1 year ago
  12. Eddie Rodrigues

Yes make it now, for PC too.

#12 1 year ago
  13. CyberMarco

@Dave, thanks for taking my suggestion in consideration. :)

I would really like to see a Final Fantasy XIII collection, including all the DLC etc, as I haven’t played them yet. I have no problem in waiting too.

#13 1 year ago
  14. salarta

Overall I think that in reality, Squeenix has already long decided that they would re-release this whole series of games as a complete pack. They had no qualms with making these sequels despite the level of dislike and disinterest in it, and they love to put Toriyama on a pedestal despite not deserving it. This is likely just Toriyama setting the stage for when they do release the pack so he can claim that the fans “demanded” it.

Which is actually ridiculous because only people that are blindly diehard for things with Final Fantasy on them or who have money to throw away would pay for a “trilogy pack” when they’ve already bought any of it. Making a “pack” of games is generally only done either a generation or two later to sell the games again on a new console, or to try and get the people that are holdouts and on the fence to buy it. If it’s not one of those groupings, then it makes no sense for someone to pay extra to get a “pack” when they could buy installments they’re missing for cheaper.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Hunam

FF13-2 is a great game. Really captures the less serious tones of FF. Wouldn’t want a trilogy pack though… unless they went back and removed most of 13. Like the first 20 hours and the tower on Pulse.

#15 1 year ago