Final Fantasy Versus 13 going next-gen in 2014, Square dropping name – report

Tuesday, 5th February 2013 08:54 GMT By Dave Cook

Final Fantasy Versus XIII has been in some kind of limbo funk since it was first unveiled some eight years ago. There’s a fresh rumour doing the rounds that the game is now going next-gen, and that Square-Enix is dropping the ‘Versus XIII’ mantle.

Update: Square has responded to this piece with the following quote, “Square Enix does not comment on rumour and speculation.” Make of that as you will.

Original Story: As always with these rumours, don’t take it at face value until we’ve spoken with Square-Enix or they clarify it themselves.

The rumour comes from NeoGAF user Verendus who has been spilling a few next-gen nuggets from the look of things.

This rumour is that Final Fantasy Versus XIII will get a new reveal later this year to confirm its name change, next-gen development and 2014 release date. They also suggest that its a PS4 exclusive, just as it was originally a PS3 exclusive.

Could it be part of the supposed PS4 reveal later this month?

They also state that Final Fantasy 15 and 16 are currently in development for next-gen formats. Given their long dev times this is a given really.

We’ve asked Square-Enix for some sort of comment on the above, so again until then, make of this what you will.

Thanks Dark and Examiner.

1. YoungZer0

Just get it done!

2. Francis O

I called this one.

3. Dragon246

*Takes massive amounts of salt while reading this*

4. Dave Cook

@3 as you should :) We certainly do.

5. YoungZer0

@3: It hurts man, i know it does.

I think this video pretty much sums it up:

This was probably the ONLY Final Fantasy game i cared about it.

6. Dragon246

@YoungZero,
    I actually doubt it. If they were developing the ps3 version for like till 4-5 months ago, why would they abandon that? I am somewhat confident that it will release on ps3, maybe with an enhanced ps4 version.

7. Gadzooks!

This has been obvious for the last couple of years.

Next-gen and either multiplatform or timed exclusive, I guarantee it.

8. Dave Cook

@7 Has it?…

9. YoungZer0

@6: Why would Square Enix do that? You mean the same company that decided to essentially reboot FFXIV? They definitely could.

10. Dragon246

@9,
    See the latest example – Final Fantasy XIV. They could have just scrapped the entire thing. But now they are still going for a sub based mmo game and also honoring the promise of bringing it to ps3 (I don’t know how it will perform though). I definitely see them launching the ps3 version, but maybe ps4? Salt is still in my mouth…

11. YoungZer0

@10: Yeah, but look at how drastically different the game has become. As much as it pains me to see the game go to the PS4 (I have not bought one Final Fantasy Game this generation), it wouldn’t surprise me if SE would decide to do this.

12. chaoszage

Tired of this FFVersus 13 stuff,it is just another never-ending story,it will not get released until PS5 =_=

13. RaisinBran

Final Fantasy 15 and 16?

14. nando

rumours say ps4 is significantly more powerful than the new xbox.If ff13 and a possible mgs5 become exc.for ps4 anf if sony continues their amazing exc.games then we can say bye bye the next xbox because Ms is not that good on exc.game busisiness.I am not a fanboy actualy considering purchase both systems…

15. Deacon

I’d much prefer to see Versus go next-gen, personally.

16. salarta

It would actually be far in Squeenix’s interest to disassociate this game from the “Final Fantasy XIII” name entirely unless they were willing to re-label this as FF13 and change FF13′s name to something else, which seems unlikely after they’ve made three games with that name on it. In fact, it might be better for Squeenix to make Versus in FF15, considering from what we’ve seen so far the content is what you would expect from an actual Final Fantasy game moreso than they tried to make FF13 out to be.

17. doa766

a post from a user in a NeoGaf forum IS NOT A REPORT!!!

18. ActionGameKing

If this is true, then Square Enix has used up my last fuck. I have no more to give. Waiting 7 years to be told I have to pay at least $400 in total to play it? My wallet will stay closed till I eventually get a PS4.

19. Mikesean45

Why on Earth is a forum post getting so much attention? Do people even read that whole “source” thing often included in these articles? From what I saw on NeoGaf, there is nothing indicating that this user has anything to back up their claim.

20. Xarne

Update: S/E to show off the power of the PS4…With their 6 yr old PS3 game!!

Besides Capcom, I cant think of another company that needs to go Chap 11 more than these clowns.

You Cloud-chasers still following these losers??? After that steaming pile of FFXIII they gave you? Mind Boggling