Resident Evil producer concedes action, shooter focus not ideal

Monday, 4th February 2013 04:48 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Resident Evil Masachika Kawata has changed his mind somewhat about leveraging shooter and action elements for the horror series.

In an interview with VideoGamer, Kawata referenced an interview he gave in early 2012, in which he said survival horror as a genre doesn’t sell as well as action and shooter games and that Resident Evil must embrace this trend.

“Looking at user feedback from the last couple of games, I’ve started to slightly revise my opinion on that matter,” he said.

“I still think that, for example, bringing Resident Evil: Revelations to consoles falls within what I was saying, where it’s a game that contains classic Resident Evil elements but it also has features that modern gamers expect in a game. Hopefully it can appeal to both camps.”

Kawata said Capcom has taken a number of different approaches to the property in the last 12 months, and said he still thinks it’s important for the publisher to challenge itself to “include new elements in the games to keep them fresh and keep them relevant”.

“Going forward is the most important thing to me and the future of the series,” he said. “No matter what, we’re always going to have to focus on horror and fear as the main core pillar of the series. That’s something I think that is not going to change.”

As an example, Kawata said that if, hypothetically, a pure shooter like Operation Racoon City produced a sequel, Capcom would build horror elements onto it, to make it more like the core series.

You should pay attention to what Kawata says about the future of the Resident Evil series, as he’s floated the idea of rebooting it.

Thanks, Destructoid.

1. Ali

The series doesn’t only need a reboot, it needs some time off to be relevant again. The last two releases weren’t any good and the series went away even more from its origins.

What capcom needs to create a new Horror IP, kinda like the way they brought Dino Crisis into the ring. They need to bring a new IP and make it as classic as it can but in modern tech. I mean, RE isn’t gonna bring them money forever and with RE6, it got as dry as it has never been.

2. salarta

The series doesn’t need a reboot. That’s the tool way of weaseling out of a mistake instead of actually confronting and correcting it.

If they think it’s absolutely necessary to do a reboot, then they need to at least make Resident Evil 7 starring Jill and Claire without Leon, Chris, Ada and maybe Sherry anywhere involved, to make up for Jill and Claire left out of RE6.

But if they REALLY wanted to fix the mistakes they’ve made with the Resident Evil series lately, then they should do two things. One: redo the ending of Resident Evil 5 to include Jill in the final battle; she does not need to be playable, and Sheva does not need to be “replaced,” but Jill had a huge stake in events and should have helped take Wesker down. And two: make what is currently “Resident Evil 6″ into an alternate universe game with a different title, and make a new Resident Evil 6 that’s more like Revelations AND includes Jill and Claire among the major playable characters.

3. loveaya

Which serie would be the next to be ruined by Crapcom?

4. Clupula

@2 – No reboot. No alternative universe. The past games are the history of the series. No need to retcon anything.

They can fix the future without ruining the past. It’s bad enough they retconned Wesker taking Sherry. Don’t start sticking Jill places she wasn’t, just to make a couple people happy. I wouldn’t mind DLC chapters for Jill and Claire, but to actually change shit just because they weren’t in it? That’s stupid.

As for RE7, I think they should continue with the current storyline, but take things down. It doesn’t have to be about the world being in danger. One simple outbreak in one simple location is enough to sustain an entire game. You don’t have to keep raising the stakes higher and higher.

There’s no need to reboot this and there’s no need for a globetrotting adventure, either. You could have made an entire game about Leon and Helena trying to get out of that town. Stuff like that is what they should be doing. You can tell a smaller, scarier story in the overall RE universe without having to ruin, retcon, or reboot anything.

5. chaoszage

Now only the producer realized it =_= ,you(Crapcom) never listen to fans.(where is Onimusha and Megaman X series?)
    just make the next RE game like RE6 Leon’s Campaign or RE5 DLC Lost in Nightmare.

6. salarta

@4: The alternative to “Let’s not redo the ending to RE5″ is “Let’s bring Wesker back to life in the next RE game so Jill can get proper closure for what happened to her during RE5.” Think about this. The game goes out of its way to depict Jill as a damsel that suffers immensely… so that the focus is on CHRIS, and on how “devastating” it was for Chris. After having spent nearly a decade fighting biohazards, Wesker used her body to make the worst biohazard to date, THEN used chemicals to control her body so that she served him as his lackey to the point of making Jill kill her old allies. And Jill outright says she was aware the whole time. That’s two years of her life lost trapped in her own body doing everything that goes against her own values and desires… and she’s just supposed to hang back, utterly refuse to fight Wesker herself because “Sheva is Chris’ new partner” is more important? If Jill was the star of RE5 and Chris was the damsel, I’d be saying the exact same thing only for Chris.

As for RE6, I believe it should be redone because of how hard Capcom was trying to promote it as being some kind of ultimate tribute to the series all while it excluded Jill and Claire from the whole thing. If RE6 was not promoted in such a way, I’ll admit I would have been a bit annoyed for seeing Chris and Leon ad nauseum, but I would’ve accepted it just fine and I probably would have bought it too. Its status as the supposed most important tribute game on the franchise’s anniversary should have made the inclusion of Jill and Claire as major playable characters alongside Chris and Leon mandatory.

7. Vice

I’m pretty sure at this point reboot is the only thing that can save Resident Evil. It kind of worked with DMC (and I was one of the biggest haters of it btw and I admit now that I’ve been wrong), it might work well here.
    In any case Resident Evil does not exists for me without Wesker.

8. Mike W

From the bottom of my heart, FUCK YOU Capcom.

9. makan.net

@ 9
    best comment
    we souldn’t concern about story(wesker, jill,…)
    worst thing in the serie is re6′s gameplay.we dont want wwe’s champions in the serie.where is the horror?
    i don’t know how this b…shit sold 4.5 millions.u disapointed us(fans), the creator(Mikami) and also yourself.

10. chaoszage

Agree! :D

11. Ireland Michael

Just shelve the series already.

It’s always been a terrible franchise, that managed to keep going solely on the back of the PS1 craze. Let the poor, hobbling beast just die, please.

12. viralshag

General question, are the characters of most RE games the only people in the world who can kill zombies? I don’t really play RE but I always hear the names Jill, Clair, Chris and Leon – don’t they deserve a break?

13. absolutezero

So Resident Evil 4 is a terrible game and it totally never refreshed and modernised an entire genre of games being a heavy influence on almost everything that came after it.

Resi games also introduce a new character with each new title. Yeah I’m pretty sure theres been a new central character with each main series game, most side games aswell to be honest.

No one really wants a re-boot, no one really wants a return to tank controls and pre-rendered backgrounds, they just want the themes, the pacing and the atmosphere back. The first half of Lost in Nightmares was a great starting point and looking at a couple of parts of Revelations it seems that Kawata knows what hes talking about aswell. I’m fairly content to sit and see what happens.

14. Hunam

I think Resident Evil needs a reboot. The story and lore has become so huge and bloated that each game is just like “buh?” everytime I start a new one. I have no real idea of context anymore.

15. absolutezero

Why is that a bad thing though?

I mean sure yeah sales figures blah blah blah but for me as a fan of the series and with a working knowledge of most of the history why would I want that entirely replaced with something else? Possibly something far far worse?

Resi fluff is sprawling, stupid and confused, somethings just seem to happen randomly and without either explanation or warning. Its great.

16. Hunam

It’s also worth pointing out that I’m super casual with RE, only playing the major numbered entries. So when I picked up 5 I had no idea how we got from 4 to 5. And going from 3 to 4 (didn’t play veronica) confused the hell out of me.

17. GwynbleiddiuM

It needs a reboot but after RES3, ever since RE:CV they only created plot holes, cheap writings, and crapy shooter. So, everything is fine until RE3, from then on, reboot the shit of the series, I’m willing to look theother way as if 4, 5 and 6 never happened.

18. absolutezero

Fucking casuals ruining my fucking vidyer games!!

19. Hunam

All I ask for is to have a slight chance of understanding why I’m shooting all those foreign looking folk!

20. absolutezero

They have viruses.

Its a sniffles combating series.

21. daytripper

Tell him to play The Last of Us in May

22. Hunam

I just wish I could go back in time to the PS1 era where Resident Evil and Silent Hill wasn’t all rubbish.

23. sh4dow

I don’t care. They sold out in a major way and they will reap the consequences. At least when it comes to my buying behavior.

24. Erthazus

They don’t need a reboot. They don’t.

What reboot will do to them? They already rebooted devil May Cry which received mixed reactions from fans and critics.

They just need to do what they did with RE1,2,3. Maybe 4 (I thought 4 was okay at best, but mechanics were great for PS2 era).

they just need to make good game and stick to the design choices that were good for that time and not make it to a shitty TPS game that has horrible mechanics. They are horrible + it was a linear POS.

25. GwynbleiddiuM

@25 Bro at this point even Ninja Theory has better ideas than Capcom for resurrecting RE, this is the game they need to outsource, but to someone who knows what they’re doing. A S.T.A.L.K.E.R like RE would be much better than what it is now. It would make sense for RE to go open world and mix with RPG and S.T.A.L.K.E.R like survival horror.

26. Ireland Michael

@14 Resident Evil 4 is the only game in the entire franchise of any deservable quality, but even with its advancements for the genre, it was still forced to shuffle through its tedious, hair thin lore and “development” of characters that were never that great to begin with.

People say they just need to make “a good game”, but nobody seems to have any suggestions for how that might be achieved.

Seriously, how can you make this franchise interesting and fun to play again while still making it have anything to do with the Resident Evil franchise? What “themes”? It’s a game with zombies in it.

Try playing the original games again. They’re tedious slogs through contrived scenarios, showered in terrible acting and terrible story telling, and bogged down by annoying inventory management and obscure, arbitrary puzzle solving. They weren’t good even when they were originally released.

#26 1 year ago
  27. Clupula

@6 – No, it had to do with her physical weakness after recovering control over herself. It would have taken her a bit to be physically able to run around as much as needed to go after Wesker.

And personally, what I want to see in the series is Alex Wesker. They wrote about him/her in RE5 a bit and I’m curious to see who that is. I actually suspect that may be hunk, under the mask.

As for Claire, if you saw the first Resident Evil CGI movie, she’s pretty much done with this sort of thing. She has a nice office job where she doesn’t have to worry about things constantly trying to kill her. She only went to Europe in Code Veronica to find Chris.

But as I said above, what the series needs is to stick with the gameplay controls of 6, but go back to the horror of the first three games. Step it down a notch, instead of making all these big Michael Bay set pieces, just have something happen and the characters are stuck in one place, and have to deal with it. It doesn’t even have to be any of the established characters. Just make a new character. Have a brief mention of Leon or Chris or Claire or whatever and just stick with something simple and horrifying.

The Lost in Nightmares DLC is exactly what they should have been using as a template.

#27 1 year ago
  28. YoungZer0

I have a question for all ya RE Fans. We know Jake is the son of Wesker, but who’s the mother?

#28 1 year ago
  29. The Dude

@29 Who cares? All we know is whoever she was, Wesker “saturated” her. Completely.

GLOBALLY.

#29 1 year ago
  30. YoungZer0

@30: If we don’t care, there is no reason not to reboot the franchise, M I RIGHT?!

#30 1 year ago
  31. manamana

@27 they were great by the time they where released. Clunky as hell but they had new gameplay with the fixed camera angles and great tension because of running always low on ammo and health and they had great, lurking Zombies in it. If you didn’t like it, it’s okay but all I know, is that it really was great by that time. It didn’t aged well but it still has the characters, locations (Mansion) and Zombies left, to built something fresh and reminiscent of the old ones. Capcom just choose to go more towards the action/shooter route instead of a terrifying/survival game.

#31 1 year ago
  32. Ireland Michael

@31 I’m trying to understand why anyone would be invested in the games’ story to begin with. I guess it just shows that anyone can get invested in something no matter how trash it is.

@32 I thought they were terrible even back then. Terrible controls, tedious puzzle solving, cumbersome micro management of your inventory. Resident Evil was a lesson in bad game design.

#32 1 year ago
  33. manamana

^ yes, everyone knows that already but at the same time, everyone wanted to play it! Well, almost everyone ;-)

#33 1 year ago
  34. YoungZer0

Gotta say, Resident Evil 2 is still my favorite of the series.

#34 1 year ago
  35. manamana

I would love to see a RE2 port to the 3DSXL!

#35 1 year ago
  36. YoungZer0

A remake would be better.

#36 1 year ago
  37. ManuOtaku

I think they just need to be more like resident evil 4, that game did have a great balance between action, survival horror, tension, etc, they just need to improve upon that, and it doenst matter the characters, just give that especial mixture in your next titles, problem solved.
    p.s they can learn a thing or two seeing shadowns of the damned.

#37 1 year ago
  38. Hellhound30x

Yep, they sure did a great job of “horror” in resident evil 6… I was absolutely HORRIFIED on how BAD IT WAS! lol…

#38 1 year ago
  39. The Dude

@31 Don’t get me wrong, I am a fan of the series (for the most part) and the first one, especially the GC remake, is still my all-time favourite. I even enjoyed 5 for what it was. I liked the African setting and WESKER in all his hammy, evil villain glory (seriously, I love that guy). I could accept the game as a one-off, but I wouldn’t have wanted it to continue with or go any further with the action over horror in any sequels.

Which is exactly what 6 did and it sucked mostly. Was there *any* horror in that game? And the new characters… I honestly think Jake was such a lame character. Oh, you’re Wesker’s son? Zzzz. And Piers… the Justin Bieber lookalike. Didn’t care about either of them. Also Chris is now a hardened soldier suffering from amnesia or whatever? Guns everywhere? Explosions? Too much!

I think a massive problem is the scenarios are just getting too big. Too much story, too much globe-trotting, too many characters. Keep it simple, guys. A few characters overwhelmed by scary stuff, fighting for survival. I cared about the original characters because I felt like I went on a massive, stressful journey with them. Us, together – stressing and pooing our pants. I think this’s been forgotten over the years.

As for a reboot? Ummm. I don’t know, maybe. It certainly would be a better candidate for one that DMC, but… perhaps just let the series lie for a while. Let it rest. We can revisit it later.

#39 1 year ago
  40. GwynbleiddiuM

@37, A remake wouldn’t be better, we already know what happens on every corner. IMO, the first 3 installments are fine. Capcom should pick up from there. I remember when they were working on Hook Man RE, Mikami complained that paranormal wouldn’t work for Resident Evil. In RE5 they decided to fuck that logic and added all sort of crap that made paranormal look like a fresh perspective.

You see RE must become something more than what it is and what it was from before. a realistic take would be great, like limitations on, stamina, stress and anxiety level, hunger and thirst, make it all about survival than shoot your way up, Kojima did that pretty great in MGS3, it’s not something that can’t be done. Add puzzle elements, utilize a good physics engine, don’t limit players to a linear approach. It takes time, it takes a decent team to come up with the right ideas and translating them into working mechanics but that can save RE imo, nothing else will.

#40 1 year ago
  41. YoungZer0

I’d still love to see a Remake of RE2.

Hunger and thirst, stress and anxiety sounds like a good idea. More open world gameplay would be nice too, if you ask me. Always loved levels like the village in RE4.

#41 1 year ago
  42. YoungZer0

And it should include gameplay mechanics like this one:

#42 1 year ago
  43. GwynbleiddiuM

^Those guys have ideas, I like it. :D

#43 1 year ago
  44. nhowell14

Just replayed RE4 HD on the PS3, a very excellent reminder that Capcom has seriously failed since then. Just as Square has with FF. What’s going on with that???? Seriously

But in all fairness, the new DMC left me with a far better impression than I ever want to give it credit. (I ROVE DMC ORIGINAL) or at least better than 4 did…

#44 1 year ago
  45. salarta

@13: Before RE6, I would’ve said we could and possibly even should move on to other characters and a new setting. After RE6, I think it’s now practically required that an RE7 be made that stars Jill and Claire. The series didn’t necessarily have to focus only on the characters of the first few games, that’s what Capcom decided to do, but now they’ve made it almost mandatory for at least that one more game.

@28: No. Now you’re just doing what too many fanboys try to pull: pretend that the decisions made by the company were ones that “had” to be done, that the team somehow had their hands tied and couldn’t do things differently. That’s stupid. I’m not saying you, personally, are stupid, I’m saying the apologist idea that the team had no control over their own story is stupid.

Why is it that Jill has this “physical weakness” that keeps her from joining Chris and Sheva while those two get to go on and fight Wesker by themselves? Oh, because Capcom said the chemicals put her through physical exhaustion? Even if I were to grant the idea that that couldn’t have been handled differently, which is asking a lot, then why is it that Jill couldn’t have reached a helicopter sooner, that the helicopter couldn’t have been flown faster so she could join in the fight, or that if she followed in the same footsteps as Chris and Sheva that she couldn’t have caught up with them considering she wouldn’t have to fight hordes of enemies like they did if she followed their path? Don’t give me “But the helicopter had to be out of the way to reach or else Chris and Sheva would have taken it.” For one, Jill knew the layout of the place, so she could have known about a helicopter much closer. And for another, if that was a problem, then why couldn’t Chris and Sheva have taken the helicopter in the first place, gone back for Jill, then flown over all the crap they had to deal with in the regular ending to go straight for Wesker?

For that matter, if Jill really is that weak that she literally can’t walk behind Chris and Sheva, then isn’t Chris leaving Jill behind essentially leaving her life at risk to zombies, Lickers or who knows what to kill her in her moment of weakness? The argument you’re likely to give back is “He trusted her to be able to handle herself,” which I’ll agree with completely, but for Jill to be THAT weak that she can’t even walk behind them until she recovers, Chris was written as blowing off the state she was in way WAY too fast. He didn’t even check to make sure she still had enough ammo in her guns.

Hell, let me ask the simplest question of all: when you get to the final blow to Wesker with the rocket launchers, why are there only two rocket launchers in the helicopter? Why does Jill have to hover behind Chris and Sheva and do absolutely nothing but watch? This could have been solved easy. And don’t say “the door wasn’t big enough for three.” The door could have been bigger, or one or more of them could have shot a rocket launcher from a rope ladder.

As for Claire, that is ONCE AGAIN, Capcom trying to force a direction that didn’t need to happen. Nothing “required” them to write Claire as completely out of the picture. She could have joined a more proactive group that is regularly near the “front lines” of an outbreak where she would have to take action again from time to time. In fact, RE6 was the perfect opportunity to bring her back; outbreaks are happening everywhere, as part of TerraSave the group’s main goal is to help out during outbreaks. Story-wise, as part of TerraSave she could’ve had special information on the people and organization behind this outbreak, found out about Chris and/or Leon, and in the chaos went for one of them to give the info. An alternative could have been that Chris, getting information that gave him reason to worry about his sister’s safety (perhaps the camp she was in got overrun by zombies), would go make sure she was safe. There were MANY ways Claire and Jill could have legitimately been a part of RE6. And with the scale of the game, there is literally no way that either Jill or Claire would have stayed out of events unless they were living on a remote island or cave the whole time completely cut off from even the most rudimentary forms of communication.

Hopefully this thorough rebuttal gets my point across. If it doesn’t, then unless you have some really good counter-arguments that are more than just “the RE team made it that way so it had to be that way end of story,” I’ll have to stop debating these things with you. It’s one thing to make good rebuttals, it’s another to make excuses for a company’s decisions and behavior.

#45 1 year ago
  46. Gekidami

The franchise needs to be put on ice so that everyone forgets just how bad the lastest games were then fully rebooted, the plot spiralled into unsaveable nonsense ages ago and the push the turn the IP into action games doesnt sit well with its legacy. At this point Capcom may as well just scrap what they have and make something closer to the movies, because with RE6 they clearly wanted the fans of the way more popular RE action movies to relate.

RE6 wasnt all bad, there were glimmers of hope as you played as Leon in that small American town, but once the characters hit China the stupid showed its head and every other characters scenario was terrible. Give the franchise a rest, then make a full game out of that first part set in Raccoon City.

#46 1 year ago