Killzone: Mercenary dev talks PS Vita optimisation, AI tech

Monday, 4th February 2013 16:42 GMT By Dave Cook

Killzone: Mercenary isn’t developed by Guerilla Games – it’s Guerilla Cambridge to be precise – but that hasn’t stopped it from being a technical powerhouse on Sony’s PS Vita hardware. It’s no secret that the game closely apes the visuals of Killzone 3, but the developer has now confirmed that it uses the same AI tech, as well as divulging fresh campaign information in a new interview.

Speaking with PS Blog EU, development lead Piers Jackson commented on Killzone: Mercenary’s technical similarities to Killzone 3.

“In some regards we’ve tried not to shrink it at all”, he explained, “we’ve tried to get a full Killzone experience running on PS Vita. The system is incredibly powerful – we’ve got graphics that are comparable to Killzone 3 running on a handheld.

“It’s optimised in a lot of locations but the core AI system is based precisely on Killzone 3. We’ve had to replace a few of the audio and rendering systems but the back-end leading into them is pure Killzone engine architecture. We’ve also got certain things in the renderer that are unique to our system – we’ve added reflection mapping on the floor and particle systems can actually be lit as well.

“There may be a few areas we’ve had to tone back a bit, but we’re pretty convinced that we’ve come up with something that touches most of the technical features from the main Killzone engine.”

How similar are Killzone: Mercenary and Killzone 3? Well VG247′s own Pat Garrat had a chance to play the game last month. Here’s everything he had to say about it, as well as the debut trailer.

1. nhowell14

I still think Killzone 2 has yet to be surpassed by any other FPS in terms of realism. Halo 4 looks like an over-detailed cartoon by comparison. Call of duty looks closer, but the lighting and motion blur is never realistic.

The fact that this is running on a handheld, just stuns me. I have now seen better graphics on a portable device than I have on the Xbox 360….

#1 1 year ago
  2. polygem

sigh…

sony….please talk to your “fans”. i want to enjoy your platforms…but this…is just killing me!

#2 1 year ago
  3. lexph3re

Really don’t see how someone opinion can deter you from enjoying Sony’s console. That’s like me being turned off of MS because of the fabled superior online play. Or nintendo because others say they are the definitive gaming experience.

Just take it in strides and enjoy the things you like

#3 1 year ago
  4. polygem

i do man…but this stuff spoils the fun in EVERY comment section. i just prefer to talk with people who enjoy games in general not fandrones.

look at this guy. we do not need more sonybots here:

“You do understand the PSP has sold more hardware units than either Microsoft based consoles, right? That’s just one console. The PSone/2 have both sold over a 100 Million, something that no Microsoft product has actually accomplished. “But gee guys, they spin themselves so well here and their hardware is amazing, software is so polished and bug-free that there’s no way that Microsoft may be sinking!!!”
    Wake up hahaha seriously, whatever Microsoft defending idiot that is out there.”

if you call that stuff opinion. fine. i call it a pile of shit. why? THE PRESENTATION.

#4 1 year ago
  5. nhowell14

well dear polygem, you know what they say about opinions…..

Until then, kiss my asshole, because that’s where that pile of shit came from.

You see, it has been a thing for some time now to see mobile tech rival what home consoles have done. I’m merely voicing my observation. Get off the fact that I have my own opinion, you could’ve just kept your overweight trap shut…again, my opinion….

#5 1 year ago
  6. Gekidami

polygem who with defend Nintendo magic to the bitter end is being a hypocrite again, i see.

#6 1 year ago
  7. lexph3re

Well considering that all platforms have people who spin things to their liking it is just what it is. I don’t care about sales figures overall, I’ll reference them to a point for debate. But, all in all I don’t care at all.

Comments like that cause others to get disoriented. Then the readers of that comment carry it without realizing the original poster is long gone and no where to be found.

How do you feel this game looks for the Vita? Do you think this opens a spectrum of potential games in the future? Perhaps it will help to increase or define the KZ franchise better? What do you think?

#7 1 year ago
  8. nhowell14

Obviously I hit a nerve somewhere or else polygem wouldn’t have taken the time to highlight a recent quote

bahahaha, “call and the xbots will answer!!!”

#8 1 year ago
  9. polygem

see, the presentation…
    Geki…
    i just praised the god of war saga in this forum today and ni no kuni….hypocrite nhowell´s ass. cuz i wont do that.

#9 1 year ago
  10. nhowell14

“When it comes to the MS hate you can find people spreading the same hate on the opposing console just as a measure of retaliation. It doesn’t stop me from buying the things I like and ignoring the things I don’t. Just let them say what they say and contribute in a solid fashion.”

@ lexph3re; Thank you, I obviously haven’t had a good experience with Microsoft, hence my distaste, but this is America and everyone is entitled to their own experiences. I just voice mine often, which upsets those who have whatever minted, wrinkle-free image of whatever stuck in their head, don’t really care to hear such things. Or cry loudly and obnoxiously when they do.

Again, opinions and assholes…

#10 1 year ago
  11. polygem

@lex: i posted that aleady. i loved liberation and i enjoyed the killzone games but i definitley prefer the resistance games. i just love the feel of the weapons. insomniac nail the weapons in their games. resistance bs was just that though: bs and i hope sony wont continue to trash their great ip´s. sly cooper looks rock solid. i don´t think the vita needs a console style shooter. 3ds line up is great for this year. vita needs to counter with unique games. i don´t think killzone is the way to go. it looks good….but nowhere near halo 4. that´s just trolling. no need to argue about that.

EDIT:
    @nhowell14: “Again, opinions and assholes…” +1

#11 1 year ago
  12. nhowell14

Well you see, if one of Microsoft’s consoles would’ve worked long enough for me to enjoy any of the “exclusive” xbox games, then maybe, just maybe, I would’ve been able to form a solid opinion of the game, but alas until I can inject the media within my brain and play it remotely from my mobile phone, I’m stuck with the stick up my arse that was once my $300 console.

Excuse me for my bitterness. In all fairness, I love Nintendo and Sony equally. I own the Wii U/3DS and PS3/Vita which for whatever reason, still are running and playing my games over 20 hrs a week, whereas there is only one current gen console that just didn’t hold up on it’s promise. Oh did I mention that I had to pay $60/year just to watch my Netflix and Hulu subscriptions that I already pay for…..they just unlocked Netflix for Silver membership but common, HOW DOES THAT NOT BOTHER YOU.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Gadzooks!

So, comparing two platforms games when you admit to not having played games on one system.

TROLL. I’m guessing an alt-account.

#13 1 year ago
  14. OlderGamer

Pretty obvious whos alt that is Gad.

Going to be a very long year.

#14 1 year ago
  15. nhowell14

@Gadzooks!; No I got to play Halo 4 long enough to figure out that dual wielding is completely absent, even though it was in 2 AND 3.

But no man, I totally didn’t play it. I play = I finish the game, so no I haven’t playED the game.

#15 1 year ago
  16. lexph3re

Why does everyone want to scream Alt-accounts everytime something like this happens. I do think it’s possible for multiple people in the world to share common thoughts.

Heck, out of 6 billion people you think every new user is an alt account?

#16 1 year ago
  17. nhowell14

yes and thank you again for some very grounded reasoning lexph3re, I havn’t started an account so I couldn’t voice my opinion, I know my opinions are opinions, just like everyone else’s.

Problem is, I have this insane notion that mine are valid, and more often than not, they are.

#17 1 year ago
  18. polygem

whatever guys i´m off playing god of war 2 now, on my xbox, with the touchpad…

#18 1 year ago
  19. lexph3re

Well they are indeed factual. Because you do say what you have gained from the experiences from what I read. You also don’t force what you say to be a global opinion. It is a massive group of mutual feelings on the topic. However, it is a little out of place for a general topic on this Vita game.

How about we all refresh this topic?

#19 1 year ago
  20. OlderGamer

You would be amazed Lex, prolly down right shocked tbh.

#20 1 year ago
  21. nhowell14

@polygem

Sigh. Kids.

#21 1 year ago
  22. nhowell14

How bout this; its about damn time I was given some reason to dust off the old Vita? Now, does that make everyone happy??

In all fairness, the Uncharted game for Vita and Resident Evil Revelations for 3DS have only been surpassed by the enjoyment I’ve gotten out of having Minecraft on my Galaxy S3! HAS ANYONE ELSE JUST BEEN BLOWN AWAY BY THAT!?!?!?!

#22 1 year ago
  23. fps_d0minat0r

@ nhowell14
    ‘Blown away’ that must have been the battery in your S3 after playing minecraft for 30 minutes.

#23 1 year ago
  24. CPC_RedDawn

You sir, have no seen Crysis 1 on PC running @ true 1080p with 8xAA, 16xAF, everything maxed out with mods have you?

That youtube clip does not do it justice as even at 1080p the video is locked to 30fps and its actually a slightly lower res than 1080p but it was recorded at full 1080p.

Welcome to graphics from 2007!!!

Now look at Battlefield 3 running maxed out on PC, in 64 man servers, and the game still running @ 60fps!

Killzone whilst, I do agree is without a doubt the best looking FPS game on consoles BY FAR!!! and it was pretty close to its target render from “that e3″ showing its still pretty bland, low AF, no AA, draw distance is abysmal the only impressive thing in the game is the gun model textures which is probably why it takes up 45% of the screen view LOL.

#24 1 year ago
  25. CPC_RedDawn

#23 fps_d0minat0r

I have played Minecraft on my S3 for well over 3 hours straight with all features up to max and my £6.99 4300mAh extra long life battery does not even go below 85% after being on a full charge. The stock 2300mAh battery on the other hand would be something like 55-60% left over still its not bad.

#25 1 year ago
  26. nhowell14

@fps_d0minat0r

Oh? is that what is supposed to happen? Cause it runs in the background. Constantly.

I get through 9+ hours a day with my GS3 surprisingly, all while enjoying TRUE 4G LTE speeds. Win

#26 1 year ago
  27. Gadzooks!

@OG

Yes, we know who it is. Pretty pathetic really.

#27 1 year ago
  28. monkeygourmet

Alt accounts detected… AGAIN…

Strange it always seems to be the Sony Wank Stains again and again….

In actual fact it’s good, it highlights exactly the kind of assholes I’ve been talking about all along. Holy shit, if Sony over eggs the pudding again with PS4, it’s going to be a complete cluster fuck here….

#28 1 year ago
  29. daytripper

There is no moderation to the comment sections so what do you expect? I would do it for a couple of hours a day but I suspect Pat and the guys are not really arsed much

@28 I don’t know, bit harsh saying its just Sony people mate

#29 1 year ago
  30. monkeygourmet

Well, I don’t know what to think. I’ll happily lay my cards on the table.

I created one alt account once when things got really shitty here. It was going to be used to try and defuse certain situations in a jokey way, never to try and twist things. In the end, I couldn’t be fucked.

Never once have posted under anything other than monkeygourmet tag.

I’m completely happy for that to be checked and verified if ever it was in question. Honestly, it feels like part of the ‘Thing’ movie in here some times, only way to know is to tie everyone down and get a blood sample… I’ll heat up the copper wire! :)

It’s not always Sony fanboys, but I’d really like too know how many people we are dealing with.

We all know Polygem is Dragon246 and TEA is O’ Conner, but who else is hiding behind alt accounts and to what ends?! :D

#30 1 year ago
  31. Gekidami

The funny thing is that if comment moderation was stepped up, Monkey would be one of the first to go. His posts here are pretty representative of the general flame bait and trolling he always posts. It would seem his only goals on this site are to insult people and wage a war on Sony. Thats trash we really dont need on here, so more moderation? Bring it, please.

#31 1 year ago
  32. polygem

@30:

it´s only 5 people around here anyway…

#32 1 year ago
  33. polygem

@31: you are kidding now aren´t you?

#33 1 year ago
  34. monkeygourmet

Yep, completely ignore any of the forum threads I’ve created over the last year or so (a lot completely nothing to do with gaming and generally trying to be fun).

Ignore the fact I enjoy a lot of Sony games, just the company pisses me off.

Ignore the fact that only Sony fanboys get upset when being confronted by the truth of some of the cold hard facts regarding Sony’s dubious business practice.

Ignore the fact that I also direct these comments at MS and Nintendo where appropriate.

What’s your alt Geki? Do you have something to hide? :)

#34 1 year ago
  35. polygem

read it kinda backwards mg: “i am Ge kid” so who could the “Ge kid” be? what stands “G E” for? Geometry.Evilaires? Nahhhhh…. :)

#35 1 year ago
  36. Gekidami

Acting like a dick is acting like a dick, and its something you do perfectly. I dont see why whatever forum threads you made would redeem that.

As for alt accounts, considering the amount of trolling you do, theres more chance you’re an alt account then the opposite. Of course i dont actually believe that, i’ll leave the paranoia to the Nintendo magic squad, what other line of defence would they have otherwise? Actual factual information? Ha, as if.

#36 1 year ago
  37. monkeygourmet

Forum threads are helpful so shortsighted asshats like yourself see a less one dimensional view.

Of course my comments are not always Sony hate, but certain people will read them as they will.

If they are negative towards Sony, I have the good grace of fleshing out my opinions rather than just slagging them off then pissing off.

My forum threads tend to try and encompass all the community and gamers on different topics. That’s a good way to gain perspective.

Or revolve around a particular game I’m enjoying (again platform generally irrelevant).

Have happily laid my cards on the table revolving alt accounts, you happy to do the same?

#37 1 year ago
  38. Gekidami

lol And who exactly is meant to be my alt account in your nut case, paranoid head?

#38 1 year ago
  39. Dragon246

@Gek,lex
    Some people are not worth talking to.
    Why bother talking to them?
    These are the people who think others have alt account just because they have a minority opinion. Sucks to be like that. Maybe they think just because they used an alt account sometime, all others are like that.

Amazing how this thread got derailed after #2 wanted to take potshots.

On topic, looks like an amazing game. Hoping we can do a vg247 community match for this.

#39 1 year ago
  40. polygem

just open your minds a little kiddos

#40 1 year ago
  41. polygem

i never used an alt account here btw. just for the record. i believe i wont be using any account here anymore soon though. far too many sony bot kids around here. it became painful, worse than ign.

#41 1 year ago