Xbox 360 consoles have moved 75.9 million units worldwide

Friday, 1st February 2013 15:42 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Microsoft has revealed its Xbox 360 consoles has moved 75.9 million units worldwide. The news comes via an updated sales chart, showing the console is up 5.9 million compared to the 70 million lifetime reported in October 2012. Rumor has it the firm will host a special event in March to announce its next console, while Sony is rumored to announce PS4 on February 20. Thanks, Gamespot.

1. theevilaires

Very good Microsoft thats way more than any of us predicted since the launch of the current gen. Definitely they are the biggest winner coming from last gen console sales.

2. ManuOtaku

#1 Well i think that will be nintendo, the gamecube sold less than the first xbox, nintendo came last in that generation, although microsoft saw a hughe increase too this gen.

3. theevilaires

I don’t consider the Wii a next

4. ManuOtaku

#3 Well i do, agree to disagree then.

5. theevilaires

agreed :)

6. PC_PlayBoy

They should throw in a 10 year guarantee with their next gimped system.

7. Gadzooks!

There is no debate and it’s not a matter of opinion. The Wii IS part of the seventh gen. The same as 360 and PS3.

8. pip89

I’m on my third Xbox, and so is my friend, so it would be interesting to see how those figures would have turned out if it was not for PROD.

9. ManuOtaku

#6 Believe it or not i still have to this very day my 2005 20 gb white model still working, whithout any repairments, to think of it all my consoles are that way, my ps2,ps3, gamecube, etc, the only one that died on me was my son´s Wii, but my son is a total wrecker, so is not a fault of the manufacturer.

Having said that i believe they will make a better console this time in that regard, but just in case, that 10 year guarantee doesnt sound to bad :), just in case, and i will like to add to all regions too, not only US ;).

10. Samoan Spider

This comment section is screaming out for an ignore button or at the very least up/down voting so some people get the hint that their opinion is neither wanted nor needed.
    MS have done incredibly well given this was only their 2nd generation of hardware. The Wii is in the same gen as Gadzooks says and the next gen should get really interesting with 4 platforms as real contenders to the crown.

11. viralshag

Like Manu I’ve never had a 360 fail on me, or any other console. I have upgraded my 360s though from standard to elite to the new smaller ones.

Like #10 said, for a second console I think MS should be very happy with the 360.

12. theevilaires

Samoan how about an ignore button for your brain. We don’t need ass wipes like you around here anymore trying to censor people’s opinion. Don’t like it fuck off shit head.

everyone is entitled to their opinion and I’m happy to disagree with a loser like yourself anytime but I know for a fact the majority of all gamers consider a next gen console by their upgrade graphics and tech which the wii fails hard at in plain sight. If SONY didn’t have the PS3 and PSP to worry about they could have released a PS Mote for the PS2 and shut the wii down fast.

You minorities can live in denial all you want. IGN,JoyStiq,and GameStop should do a poll to shut you fools up once and for all.

13. pip89

To be fair, they got my second console repaired free, and it is still going strong. The first time round, I went and bought another as I couldn’t wait.

It’s a shame though, as I wont be buying the next Xbox. I will be sticking with the other console manufactures and PC.

14. ManuOtaku

#12 you contradict yourself “of all gamers consider a next gen console by their upgrade graphics and tech”
    The wiimote is an upgrade in tech, therefore it is next gen, at least it forms one part of your requirements

15. Gadzooks!

I just hope the next gen is as full of surprises as this one was.

The Wii was a big surprise for me. That Wiimote really shook things up in the industry.

I’m confident the WiiU gamepad will push things forward too. Not as much maybe, but progress is progress.

Personally I think Xbox’s future will be decided by Kinect. If it’s mandatory then I reckon MS are done, dusted, out of the console biz within a year.

16. Samoan Spider

@12 Everyone is entitled to an opinion, you’re quite correct. And censoring is where your speech is prevented, an ignore button is my choice to remove vile trash spewing shite’s like you from my line of sight. If you can have a balanced debate, I’m all for it, but if you’re just out insult people then you can quite clearly fuck off. I have been around here a very long time now and I’m going to be sticking around a lot longer too.

Edit just to say @15 I agree with that final thought there. MS need to tread carefully this time. Kinect wasn’t the gamechanger it could’ve been.

17. theevilaires

“It’s a shame though, as I wont be buying the next Xbox. I will be sticking with the other console manufactures and PC”.

Your lost if you think the next XBOX is going to bow down and not fight harder with more games and awesome features you’re in for a surprise. Microsoft is in it for the long haul and the 720 will be a beast. I’m not getting a launch console cause I’ll sit back and make sure they didn’t rush it again,but I will have one within the year for sure.

18. theevilaires

@16 well have a seat and STFU and enjoy the ride.

19. itsucks

theevilaires, the pieceofshit(3) no one cares about, but everyone has to bear with for the lack of ignore button. did the hat suited your gianthead with Samoan’s general comment? Oh, it did, didn’t it? ice Burn.

(i’m not the troll that vg247 wants, i’m the troll that it needs to call on POS(3) like you)

20. Samoan Spider

@18 you realise the hypocrisy of telling me to ‘STFU’ right after moaning about censorship blah blah blah?

@19 he must’ve recognised himself in what I said. The shame of it is that I didn’t even aim it him, I’m just generally dismayed by the ignorance that I’ve seen lately.

21. orakaa

My first Xbox died. Same for my Xbox 360, and it didn’t get replaced for free.
    Told Microsoft to go f**k themselves and bought a PS3.

Seriously, it’s good for the people who still have their original 20Gb Xbox… because I know NO one in my friends who still have it. Some have done like me and gone to PS3 (or Wii for some) and some others have decided to buy a new 360. Without the RROD, I’m curious to know how many consoles Microsoft would have sold.

This is why I do not wish Microsoft to be “the only one left” in the “console war”. If they provide a good, reliable product, why not, but I won’t buy a sh*tbox until a year or two after its release, to be sure about its reliability. And the rumors about overheating and possible delays for the release of their next console are really not reassuring.

22. Psychotext

“Same for my Xbox 360, and it didn’t get replaced for free.”

Why though? Or had you already thrown it away when the RRoD warranty was announced? As I recall they also did refunds for anyone that had paid for repairs.

23. a7md1990

@9 So no HDMI port??

24. Samoan Spider

I had a couple of new 360s for RROD although I also repaired plenty using pennies before too, but I have to say for balance I had a couple of ps3s replaced for not reading discs. All repaired free on my part my MS and Sony so no complaints on service. By the time the warranties ran out the products had been revised enough to be much better and that’s to be expected with anything. Early adopters in theory know what they are doing and should have a degree more patience. Or am I just too reasonable a person?

25. Christopher Jack

@7, I will debate that, sure in terms of timing it was in that generation but it’s performance was more akin to the previous one, same applies to the Wii U. If performance & graphics don’t matter to you then it wouldn’t make a difference but when most of the games I play are available on multiple formats & it’s charged at the same (or higher) price, it certainly does matter.

26. orakaa

Well here in France, they wouldn’t take mine and replace it for free and was advised to buy a new one… which is why I destroyed it with a hammer (my wife loved it and shared the pictures on her blog way back then).

If I pay over 300$ for a device, I expect it to last longer than 2 years (worst part is, I only had 7 games on it and was not playing too long sessions on it… at least I’m glad I could fully play Lost Odyssey).

I mean, come on, is that normal to have such pricy products break so fast? By giving money like sheep to “reward” such practice or DLC that were cut from original content, we are just giving those companies a pass and encouraging them. When I heard about the overheating issues on next Microsoft console, I thought that it could be true, and that they wouldn’t care at all, as they did with 360 (and their previous console) as it won’t stop people from buying.

27. theevilaires

Heres how stupid that 7th generation bullshit is….The Wii U launches 6 years after PS3/360 making is the supposedly 8TH gen console market start. The PS4/720 won’t be out this year but more than likely next with better graphics making that what the 9TH gen?

LMAO gadzooks you’re as much as a joke as your name you moron. Like I said do a poll and ask 1 million gamers what makes a next gen console next gen and see how many say a great leap in graphical and technical (A.I.) performance.

Wii is not next gen. I have a lot of respect for the growth of the XBOX name more than I do Nintendo now.

28. Da Man

#7 Couldn’t have said it better. Was Pos2 a last gen one because it lacked pretty much everything Xbox and GCN had? Was Dreamcast a N64 competitor? But then Pos2 didn’t have anti-aliasing, which it had?

You really can’t argue with people like those :(

29. daytripper

before wii u /wii there wasnt any confusement or debate this much as to what a next generation system is.

30. Bomba Luigi

The Wii was the Next Console after the Game Cube, so it was Next Gen. Then it was Current Gen, and now the WiiU is the Next Console after that so its Next Gen. The Term “Next Generation” has nothing to do with Hardware Power, its just the Next in the line.
    And now the WiiU is Current Gen, because its out. Its the Same with the Next Console from MS and Sony, the Moment they are available, they are Current Gen and PS5 and Xbox1440 are the Next Gen.

So, äh… this Generation, or, last? Or… whatever, the “Wii/PS3/Xbox360″ Generation was a good one, because all three of them did made good. No Downfall like the sad Dreamcast Story, and thats a good Thing. I Hope in the Future all three will do well again.

31. Samoan Spider

@30 +1 for the well formulated response and I couldn’t agree more.

32. daytripper

why hasnt it got anything to do with hardware power? after gaming since the late 80s i was always under the impression a new generation was better hardware for better visuals,audio,ai,pyhsics or has that changed now because nintendo decided to break that route with wii and wii u ?

33. theevilaires

^ yup because Nintendo is the new apple daytripper, they set the rules of releasing the same shit like their apple products even though its no different from the last one they released.

the ironic part is if no one ever upgraded to new graphics and tech,A.I. and stuff these guys in here would be crying that it hasn’t been a next gen since decades.

I wonder if people would have considered snes with motion gaming the same next gen as PS1 ;)

34. Da Man

#32

Probably because MSX was superior to Nes, which in turn was selling well against Mega Drive up until the original Sonic release..

Not to mention various ‘powerful’ fails of the early 90s.

Why would anyone give a shit about Sony fanboys? They couldn’t tell a J2me phone from an iPhone if it had Sony written on it.

35. Samoan Spider

But the WiiU is an upgrade to the Wii and has been released a year before the competition so whilst it isn’t the same power houses we’re expecting from MS and Sony it is directly competing for living room space and will be for several years. Are we really going to accept that graphics alone makes a good game? Cmon as gamers we needn’t go over this well trodden ground again.

36. ManuOtaku

I believe a new generation or next generation represents something that brings anything new and/or upgraded from the previous generation,something that wasnt available from a technical stanpoint of view, the technical aspect has a broad implication from graphics, gameplay, input devices,services, etc.

Based on this wii fits this notion because the wiimote tech was something that was not present or existed in the past generations, and also did have an improvement in graphics compare to the gamecube, even if it was slightest, therefore it just need to bring something new or upgraded to the table, and it did on both fronts, like every console that has existed before it.

Now things will be different if we have a body that rules the next generation, indicating that the next gen shoul be this (insert any new standard or tech) as minimum requirements, and the manufacturers that do not comply with the bare minimun should not be consider next gen, but that doesnt exits, therefore they only need to improve (upgrade) or bring something new to the table to be considered next gen.

37. deathm00n

@36 So, by what you are saying, if the nextbox and ps4 don’t have a second screen or touchpad, then they are not part of the WiiU gen? I don’t know, all my life a videogame gen was always a jump from one kind of graphic to the next one. So yes, in my conception (not that my conception is the truth) the WiiU is in the same gen of PS3/Xbox360 while the Wii was in the PS2/Xbox gen.

Please, don’t take this as “OMG Nintendo SUCKS!!”. It isn’t.

38. Seraphemz

Either next gen last gen or whatever gen… the Wii was a piece of crap, it was only good for little kids..

39. ManuOtaku

#37 no, not at all,quite the opposite in fact they just need to improve something from the previous console, or bring something new to the table, always comparing with their respective last console, they can all be different in their approach tech wise, graphic or in other areas ,they wont need to follow each other offerings.

I will ask you this, what happens if a console manufacturer decide to make a holographic console without the use of a tv or monitor?, something that it is not messured in pixels like it is today, it wont be consider next gen? because maybe the graphics wont be on par with the latest monitor resolutions, for me it would be consider becuase it will bring a new tech.

40. ManuOtaku

#38 “it was only good for little kids”
    I think you pretty much describe every gamer in the world, we all have our little kids in our inner selfs alive and kicking, thats why we love this hobby so much ;) .

41. deathm00n

@39 “I will ask you this, what happens if a console manufacturer decide to make holographics console without the use of a tv or monitor?”
    First of all, it would be awesome :)

But yeah, now you got me…

42. lexph3re

So wait…. If we are claiming a console by it’s generations of succession then while this is Nintendos 6th console hardware that would make Wii U the 6th gen and Wii 5th gen right?

But, then that would make PS3 a 3rd gen and the Xbox 360 a second gen.

So in all honesty claiming 7th generations don’t matter because the latters are still on their 2nd or 3rd console.

oh who gives a frack

43. Bomba Luigi

Lets say I become Daddy of Twins, but one of these Twins is Smarter and Stronger, just better in everything. And maybe I don’t like the Stupid one, because he is an Asshole (I Know I don’t sound nice, but its for the sake of Sience… or something)

But the Stupid Asshole One is still the Next Generation of Bomba Luigis, just like the Smart and Nice one. No Matter how Superior one is, because that dosn’t matter, it only matters that they are the Next one in the Line of the Great Bomba Luigi Family Tree.

44. Cobra951

It’s a moot point. Consoles can already do pretty much whatever artists want on a flat screen. It’s a question of resolution, frame rate and detail. Next round of consoles will improve on those, but not so radically that they can be objectively classified as one “gen” or another, not like the quantum leap from the SNES to the Playstation 1. Without such obvious categories, it becomes more arbitrary. You want to call the WiiU “next gen”? Fine by me.

45. Ireland Michael

@27 Technically the 3DS is the first 8th generation console, as it was the first new hardware tech out the door from the major manufacturers.

@42 Console generations are based on the advancement across the board, not on particular manufacturers. Any new major console hardware past the five year time span (roughly the length of each generation) is considered a new generation. It’s been measured like this for the past 40 years.

People can argue semantics all they want, but console generation means nothing more than the iterative upgrades released every couple of years. The specs don’t matter in the slightest, as long as its a new machine.

Dismissing the Wii is little more than an easy evade for people who can’t accept that their own personal purchase wasn’t the winner in this generation. It’s not much different than how people often support only the popular football teams. Nobody wants to back the losers.

46. Da Man

Massive Sony fail incoming. Massive.

Without teh history (backwards compatibility), probably having some weird, misguided redesign of their ancient gamepad, and with yet another bunch of pretentious bs and fake teasers noone is going to buy into this time, it’s going to sell worse than their latest handheld.

360 will easily reach the respective PS1 numbers in a few years.

47. sg1974

Retail-replaced RRoDs are included in this figure. Factory-replaced RRoDs are not. MS has always refused to acknowledge let alone answer the question “How many of those are RRoDs?”. I remember a journalist asking Aaron Greenberg that very question about three years ago: he just glared at the poor bloke for about 10 seconds until he moved on to his next question.