Far Cry 3′s mid-game story change explained

Friday, 1st February 2013 01:57 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Far Cry 3′s story changes about half way through. If you’ve finished the game or are happy to read a few spoilers, head through the break for Ubisoft Montreal’s reasoning for the shift in focus.

Last chance for no spoilers. Half way through Far Cry 3′s story, charismatic antagonist Vaas drops out of the picture, leaving the player somewhat lost.

Speaking to IGN in an extensive and interesting look at Far Cry 3′s development, lead writer Jeffrey Yohalem said he was inspired by Virginia Woolf’s 1927 novel To The Lighthouse.

“The main character dies in the middle, kind of parenthetically. The whole book is going and you get to these parentheses in this middle portion, and she’s dead,” Yohalem said.

“The rest of the book is about the absence of her. That is so daring. And we did it.”

Yohalem said he understands people wanted to see more of Vaas, but that just shows his exit was timely.

“You also want that kind of a character to take a bow when everyone wants him the most,” he said, commenting that few games remove the character’s motivation so thoroughly.

“You never feel that in a game,” he added.

Meanwhile, producer Dan Hay compared Vass to Darth Vader.

“You think about that opening scene in Star Wars,” he said.

“What you think is a huge ship is going by overhead, and then it is absolutely dwarfed by a massive ship. Then everything inside it is white and the Rebels are holding against the door. It blows up. They just had a firefight going on, and when it’s all over, in walks this guy who’s head-to-toe in shiny black.

“That moment is galvanized in your memory as a kid forever. For us, giving that taste of Vaas and making sure that it’s short and that it’s sweet and that it is about craving more of it. That was a focus for us.”

Far Cry 3 released in November last year on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360. While not without flaws, and perhaps not what Far Cry 2 fans wanted, it’s a heck of a lot of fun.

1. mkotechno

What? they split the game in two part just like in FarCry2… now they want to associate it with a literary reference… ok, but it seems they searched for the influences (aka escuses) after the plot was completed.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Vice

I’m still not convinced. I was highly disappointed when Vaas was gone and I didn’t even continue playing after that because his “boss” comes nowhere even close to be as charismatic as Vaas.
    Honestly, Vaas is a villain you hold on to. You don’t just get rid of him somewhere in the middle. He’s like a Joker. Ye maybe it looked like he died, but he’ll be back again to wreak more havok and do more crazy.

But honestly, whatever. The whole game was such an awful unrealstic fest of absurdity, that I’m surprised it didn’t fail. Apparently people are fine with step back graphics-wise (I mean realistic damage to foliage and moving grass when you touch it in FC2, compared to only couple of plants reacting to character and only a… what… one kind of plant being destructible?) and lame horrible main hero who becomes a superhero out of a wimp in a matter of seconds.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Cobra951

You mean, story mattered in this game? I was having too good a time colonizing the islands to notice.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Samoan Spider

I just got used to it with Far Cry because they always jump the shark and as has been said, I was having too much fun to notice the story much. FC1 had its mutants and FC2 had the map split. Only frustrating thing I found with the game was the use of the hallucinations to bring about the death of a couple of bad guys. Just weak, but I suppose it beats a lengthy shootout with health bar scenario.

#4 1 year ago
  5. PenTaFH

Call it a literary reference or whatever else you will.
    While I do agree that killing off main characters midway through a story can work really well (just take a gander at A Song of Ice and Fire), the execution of this mechanic in Far Cry 3 was not good.
    After you leave the northern half of the Rook Islands, the game just isn’t as fun. While Sam is an amusing character, he’s by far not as strong as the Doctor, Vaas or the CIA guy.

#5 1 year ago
  6. majicship

I didn’t mind either as I Was having waaaaaaay too much fun with it all. Best game I have played for a long time. Well, since FC2. What this game needs now is plenty of DLC to keep me busy so I don’t have to go back and start it all over again just for the heck of it. I’d like to keep my perks.

#6 1 year ago