Dead Space 3 has 11 pieces of day-one DLC

Friday, 1st February 2013 09:47 GMT By Dave Cook

Dead Space 3 has come under some heat for its embedded microtransaction model which lets players pay a small fee to boost crafting. It has now come to light that the game will launch with eleven pieces of day-one DLC that feature as part of the mechanic.

Eurogamer reports that the DLC does tie in to the game’s crafting system and Isaac’s salvage bot, which hoovers up resources stashed in the game world.

The site adds that one pack is geared towards boosting your bot’s storage capacity, and it costs $4.99 / approx. £3.15. The second pack will improve the bot’s personality, which also costs $4.99 and one more that speeds it up – $4.99, again.

Last week Visceral Games claimed that Dead Space 3′s microtransaction model exists because players want “instant gratification”, and are often happy to pay for the pleasure.

What do you make of the above? Is having the option to boost going to become a staple of gaming, thanks to its prominence in mobile titles, or is it a cheeky cash-grab on behalf of EA? Let us know below.

1. Telepathic.Geometry

Absolutely fucking despicable!

2. KAP

No one is forcing you to buy these. They don’t effect you in the slightest while you play.

3. YoungZer0

@2: Oh shut up. People like you are the reason why we will continue to see shit like this in the future. Stop apologizing for their insane greed.

4. Greek God

“Dead Space 3 has 11 pieces of day-one DLC”
    Greek God has 11 reasons not to buy D3 day 1

well said YoungZero

5. CyberMarco

@2 True, but seeing that so many gamers have money to burn on ludicrous things, this kind of business affects other games too.

6. Edo

So…”Pimp ma bot ” DLC ?Awesome.

7. Samoan Spider

The problem is they’ve got away with it in other EA brands, namely the sports titles where people are/were happy to pay to unlock advantages they would’ve otherwise had to wait for or miss out on. The wallet voting has already been done long before now so please don’t be misguided enough to think that by avoiding this, the situation will change. It won’t. But personally T.G above mirrored my thoughts.

8. hainus

Ea are by far the worst at this sort of thing. Totally killed battelfield for me.

9. monkeygourmet

Man, I fucking HATE the : ‘if you don’t like it don’t buy it’ attitude!

Makes me rage big time.

It’s exactly the wrong fucking style and exactly why we are seeing more of this shit.

Of course I don’t have to buy it, what I do have however;

Is putting up with fucking pop ups and adverts asking me to buy shit or download stuff in what’s supposed to be a survival horror game (completly breaking immersion)… I don’t want to be reminded every 5 seconds I can buy a weapon with real world money…

Also, the amount of games I’ve played that don’t let you play co-op because you haven’t downloaded the same shit as the other person is crazy.

10. mreko3230

The Market solves everything. If people buy it, it will continue. If they dont- it wont. I don’t really like it and I want everything to come with my $60 copy of the game.

Don’t want to see stuff like this anymore?- don’t buy it ( I know, I’m speaking to the choir on this one.)

I’ve said before, if they want to do this- fine, but at least make the game $40 on release day. It will never happen, but I can dream. My prediction? This will go over big and we will se A LOT more of this kind of things from devs in the future.

11. DeVitowned

Where’s someone with a custom YO DAWG, I HEARD… meme for this when you need them?

12. viralshag

@9, Then disconnect from the internet and enjoy your game offline. That is after all the experience you’re going for?

You might hate the “don’t like it, don’t buy it” attitude but it goes just the same for the people that have to listen to the same old “cash grab” “nickel and dime” attitudes, when some gamers are completely unaffected by this style of business.

13. Digital Bamboo

I loved Dead Space 2, and am looking forward to playing 3, but this doesn’t sound good at all.

The first and last upgrades can hopefully be ignored (it is survival horror after all, you’re supposed to be just scraping by) but I really don’t like the implication that the bot that will apparently be following you around everywhere is in need of a ‘personality upgrade’. Does that mean it will be an annoying dick unless you cough up $5?

And if there’s pop-ups & ads in game as MG suggested, I will be seriously turned off.

14. lama

this is a free-to-play model without the free

15. Tearsir

They will never have my money.

16. Fin

If you don’t like it, don’t buy it.

These things only exist because they make money. If people stop buying them, they go away.

17. Maximum Payne

I guess those hats in TF2 were also very cheap ?

18. Samoan Spider

@16 but people wont stop buying them and it wont go away.

19. Dragonborn

Wow .. , the funny thing is that their basically giving people another reason not to buy the game which desperately needs the sales to continue as a franchise , if they did this with Battlefield or other big franchises it would’ve been more reasonable ( not saying it’s right ) , but Dead Space ? people play this game for the single player , who in their right mind would pay for this disgusting rip-off DLC’s !

20. Telepathic.Geometry

@KAP: I know I don’t have to buy them, and I won’t. I’ve already pre-ordered the game, and it hasn’t occurred to me once to cancel my order, because I know I’ll love the game. But from a pure consumer’s rights point of view, I really wish I had it in my to boycott a game I really wanna play for the common good.

There are a lot of people out there who will pay this, and I’m sure they have plenty of disposable income, so more power to them. But I don’t wanna support a company who thinks it’s okay to so shamelessly fleece its customers. They’re out there right now trying to figure out better ways to fuck us too right now.

Of course, business are trying to make money, so you could definitely argue that there’s no moral angle to be discussed here, but I would disagree with that strongly. In any other business, a company would work hard to maintain the image that it values its customers and does its best to keep them by providing them with a quality product at a competitive price.

Even if you think Apple’s profit margins are crazy, this DLC is $5 of almost pure profit. That’s unforgivable, and the fact that apologists like KAP feel the need to defend this as a reasonable business move is really disturbing…

21. Deacon

So, pony up some cash for a boost through the campaign. There are probably scores of eager teens out there who just want to blast through the game and complete it in the shortest possible time. You know, the ones that skip every cut-scene and couldn’t give two shits about the overarching narrative.

Yep. Fuck EA in the ass with a rotten zombie leg.

It won’t change unless people stop buying this shit. But they will. And thus it’ll continue. Aaaah the future of AAA gaming…

22. KrazyKraut

Ofc…. gtfo

23. Digital Bamboo

Also, 5 BUCKS for each pack? 5 fucking dollars for each of these?! Are you kidding me? If they were 50 cents almost everyone would get them. $1, most would at least consider it. But $5 a piece. Why not just bend me over the counter when I go in to buy the game and get it over with?

24. viralshag

@20, But it’s only pure profit if people buy it. And you’re not being forced to buy it, it’s the customer’s choice and their decision on whether this is good value or not.

They are not making money off people who don’t buy this stuff so I don’t see what the problem is?

25. absolutezero

Stop eating that shit!

But this shit is delicious, you don’t have to look at me eating shit. My shit eating does not affect you at all!

26. viralshag

Yeah, we wash it down with all your tears.

:’(

27. absolutezero

I’ll slap that back of your hands!

I can’t wait to see adverts slapped all over the back of every bench in the game, you too could make your gun cool for only £5.

Wait they have Pounds in space? I guess thats pretty cool I suppose, why does this bench know that I need new weapons? Why does this bench want me to make weapons on it anyway seeing as the original models from the first game were Engineering work spaces?

28. nostramo

Had this game on pre order from amazon.
    Just cancelled it after reading the post, not
    keen on gaving an EA account/origin either.

29. Fin

So what ye’re saying is the problem isn’t with EA, it’s with the people who buy stuff like this?

30. deathm00n

@29 I think the problem is with the two of them: if you buy it, they make it, if they make it, you buy it. Remove one of them from the loop and you end it. And I don’t think EA is going anywhere.

31. viralshag

I just cancelled my pre-order because of everyone complaining. I hope the game flops and EA go out of business so I get no more trp-A games and simply rely on indies and Kickstarter games because they’re honest and true!

Yeah!

32. absolutezero

You should buy Medal of Honour Warfighter. I hear thats a pretty good Triple A title.

33. deathm00n

@31 Is it too much to ask for triple A game, but without DLCs? I don’t want EA to stop making games, I want DLC to be extinct and we get back our beloved Expansions, that had content worth paying for.

34. viralshag

@33, Buy the game, ignore the DLC and then trade in your original for the GOTY edition and call all the included DLC an expansion.

Amazing, you can have the good old days with some selective purchasing.

35. Telepathic.Geometry

@viral: Which are you arguing:

a) EA is doing nothing wrong or distasteful, or

b) Stop voicing your opinion because you are not directly affected by this.

If it is neither a) nor b), please explain what you’re getting at.

36. absolutezero

Its basically “this does not bother me, and I have no idea how it could possibly bother anyone else. The fate of triple-A games development hangs on the inclusion of micro-transactions and DLC. Stop being so entitled.”

I think.

37. theevilaires

@1 I agree but its the nature of online distribution now. Paying for cheat codes :(

38. gamereck36

This is why I don’t concern myself with dlc BS.

39. viralshag

@TG, I would have to go with A. I don’t think there is anything wrong or distasteful with this. They want to make money, they have included an option to do so which people will take advantage of either because they need to or want to, that’s their choice.

It also doesn’t impact on the players that don’t agree with this and they can make EA see that point of view by actively not paying for it.

The activists against this seem a lot more inclined to make out the “apologists” opinion is wrong because they’re somehow selling out or buying in to some sort of nickel and diming. Are you going to tell me based on the above comments that doesn’t seem to be the case?

Because it looks to me like you’re trying to tell people what they should and shouldn’t spend their money on, I’m just saying it’s their choice to do so.

40. freedoms_stain

@viralshag, I see what you’re saying man, but they’ve taken a step too far here.

What concerns me is that in Dead Space 4 or 5 or 6 I won’t be able to finish the game without spending additional funds into an already over-priced game (EA are charging £39.99 for DS3 on PC, the absolute highest end of the spectrum, despite getting to keep all that tasty Origin margin).

Are we really happy to see gaming head down a path where full priced releases are intentionally balanced in such a manner that they’re excessively hard or nigh impossible to complete without dropping another £20 into vapour-”DLC”? It’s not a pretty thought.

41. deathm00n

@40 Agreed and like Theevilaires said, now we pay for cheat codes.

42. Mineral4r7s

You people know whats the best thing about all this? Pirates get it for free and don’t have to put up with this nonsense.

43. viralshag

@TG, I’m not going to argue with you on the price of the PC version, in comparison to other games that is high. And because I can compare it to other games that is a fact. It not the first time they have launched a pricy game either, just look at TOR, BF3 and SimCity.

However saying that, I know people will still pay that price and to some people that will be because they think the value is worth it. I understand that you think it’s probably not, I get that, I just don’t think our opinion of the value and quality of the goods makes that a fact. And to me, the same applies to the DLC.

I also think people should wait to play the game before damning the DLC options. Like I just said in the ME3 article, I think their real money pack purchase options is mostly great, I’ve spent real money to buy packs here and there when I didn’t feel like grinding out some games. My only problem with that is the gamble, in that real money still buys me random gear which might not actually include a new character or weapon.

44. Bomba Luigi

The Sad Truth is that EA just gives the People what they want. The Vote with your Wallet has already happen and now we have President Dean L. Chambers in Charge.

I don’t like hime, but well, a lot of Peopele do and they won.

45. DSB

46. Telepathic.Geometry

@viral: I think that I’m not making my point well enough here so I’ll try to sum it up in 2 points:

1) It’s my belief that the company customer relationship is, the company gives me a good that I want, and I pay for that good, and allow the company to make a reasonable profit off the back of that.

Depending on the product, that margin might be 5%, 10% or maybe even 20/30%. The size of the profit margin should depend on the particulars of the product, but in this case, the profit margin for that DLC must be like 99% or maybe even 99.9%.

Of course calculating something like this is extremely nebulous, but there’s no way you could argue that $10 is a fair price for a couple of numerical stat boosts considering what you get for $60 – a full game, with script, acting, story, art assets, a lot of programming.

2) The game devs have a vested interest in making collecting resources in the game difficult/laborious and/or time consuming. Am I to believe that they wouldn’t do such a thing because they’re nice guys over at Visceral? That conflict of interest – between making a fun game, and making a game where purchasable assets is favorable – is very worrying for me as a games enthusiast, and it should be to you too. It’s the thin end of the wedge…

TO SUMMARISE AGAIN:

1) It’s way too expensive. If it were a buck each, I’d be less inclined to winge.

2) It MUST have had an effect on the game’s development. It WILL affect me.

47. YoungZer0

48. Fin

You can’t say it “MUST” have had an effect on the game’s development, any more than I can say it had ABSOLUTELY NO effect on the game’s development.

49. Telepathic.Geometry

Well, I think I can. If a neutrino flies in the window of the Visceral studio, it must have an effect.

Let’s say some dev says, “I’ve been thinking… The resources in the game are a little bit scarce, and players are getting annoyed and frustrated. Let’s just give everybody the resources pack that we were going to sell…”

Do you really think that the financial side of it wouldn’t cross their minds? C’mon man…

I used to work at a school where I was supposed to sell books for a bonus. Now, the books were actually pretty god, but because I had a financial interest in selling the books, I always wondered to what extent that conflict of interest affected me.

The bottom line is, I don’t know to what extent, but I know that it couldn’t be zero, even with the best will in the world. And in that case, I had a solid wage. This only amounted to a bonus. In Visceral’s case, they stand to make a fortune, the profitability is epic…

50. viralshag

@TG, I think with regards to your first point that’s something most people wouldn’t concern themself with. Back in the day the idea of making money like that didn’t exist but markets move on and companies will always create revenues of profit based on what they can get away with.

In my industry (oil and gas) we sell our main products at 20-40% profit, additional non-material extras at 100% profit and spares at something like a further 40-60% margin.

I guess you could say we’re ripping people off but we’re providing something at what customers are willing to pay in order for us to make the best profit.

EA aren’t doing anything different. Like #44 said, EA are offering what people want and are willing to pay for. That doesn’t mean you have to like it but it also doesn’t mean they are doing something wrong.

51. DSB

@50 The difference is that you’re making money on it, and they aren’t.

I think there’s also a pretty big difference between selling oil which is little more than a commodity, and games, which are not just entertainment, but interactive entertainment.

Without immersion, are you really delivering?

52. Telepathic.Geometry

@YoungZero: XD That was fucking hilarious, and also fucking straight on the money.

@viralshag: I was playing Dead Space 2 today, and on the main menu screen it invited me to buy a DS t-shirt on visceral’s website. DS3 is gonna do the same thing. That affects me. The effect is it pisses me off.

53. viralshag

@51, Who isn’t making money on it? We don’t sell oil, we simply sell certain equipment used in the industry (I’m not at liberty to discuss in more detail what and for who haha). But as an example and just for fun to show you how ridiculous it is, I can sell a rubber ring that would barely fit over my little finger for $400, which I get for nothing. And that’s no exaggeration.

I would also say is ignoring a “store” button prompt any more immersion breaking than looking at weapon stats in a menu? I think the immersion break example is quite a stretch if I’m honest. It interactive entertainment, through the use of a monitor and control device.

@52, I’m just starting to think you’re just a little tetchy. ;)

54. freedoms_stain

@48, Do you think they decided to scrap the old power node system and introduce real-money upgradeable “scavenger bots” before or after the notion of including micro-transactions in the game was brought up?

What’s interesting there is that under the old system they could have sold you power nodes or credits for real money, but they couldn’t have got $15 out of you for upgrading your scavenger bot, which they can under the new system. That sounds very carefully targeted at people who feel uncomfortable directly buying resources but feel comfortable with this sort of boost.

It also makes me wonder, if the scavenger bots were already destined to be in the game prior to the notion of the micro-transaction system, were the bots supposed to be upgradeable through normal gameplay? Is the bot upgrade system ripped out of the game in order to pull another $15 out of the consumer?

55. DSB

@53 That’s still a commodity though.

Looking at weapon stats keeps you within the universe, looking at totally fictional objects. Looking at a store prompt reminds you of a very real credit card, somewhere far from a delapidated space station.

Saying that it isn’t immersion breaking because it’s on a computer is just a blatant cop-out. You watch movies on a big piece of canvas, you read books on hundreds of pieces of paper. That doesn’t make them less immersive, and it doesn’t lessen the requirement for the content to suspend your disbelief.

And neither are doing this sort of thing, trying to sell you shit in the middle of the action, although I guess product placement is sometimes an example of the same.

I don’t see a lot of publishers looking like winners. EA made a whopping 76 million dollars in 2012.

56. viralshag

@55, It’s hardly “in the middle of the action” though. You’re talking as if it’s going to ask you every 10 minutes.

And you made the distinction between entertainment and interactive entertainment. Movies and books are simply feeding me the information and don’t require any input from me (other than turning a page) to do anything so of course they will be more immersive and captivating.

Immersion will always be to a certain degree in games, and with any entertainment. I just think it’s being used here as bit of a weak excuse to prove a point. But that’s just my opinion of immersion in gaming.

57. freedoms_stain

@56, still, imagine turning up to an upgrade bench in DS1 or 2, you don’t have enough power nodes and the game says “hey, buy a power node for $4.99!”.

Isaac Clarke doesn’t have $4.99. That’s where the immersion is breaking.

58. DSB

@56 I think it’s exactly the other way around. A book and a movie don’t actually require you to move within the universe, that’s all done before your eyes.

In a game you are the protagonist, so suspension of disbelief becomes that much more important.

I’d say using mobile gamers as an excuse to monetize gameplay is the weak one, more than arguing that something that has been conducive to entertainment for hundreds of years, is actually pretty essential.

59. viralshag

@57, Yes, you’re right there. I’ll give you that. But then that’s where it comes back to simply ignoring it if you don’t want to play like that.

From the screen everyone is basing this on you had two options under the message, “A Continue” and “Y Downloadable Content”. I’m really struggling to believe that pressing A and ignoring Y is that difficult to continue your DLC-less immersive game.

EDIT: @58, I completely agree with what they said in their follow interview. And it’s completely valid as there are clearly gamers that want or need to buy these additions to save time.

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, some people have more time than money, others have more money than time. This suits both and it’s not hard to enjoy it either way. You don’t need to spend additional cash to get everything the game has to offer.

60. absolutezero

Theres direct evidence that this sort of micro-transactional model directly influences gameplay, namely the patch notes for Diablo 3.

Everything from lowered gold drops, to lowered armour durability directly points towards them wanting to people to use real money to buy replacements.

When does ignoring what you don’t like end? How much shit must I by-pass, should I buy a pair of horse blinkers?

61. DSB

Aside from the fact that simple resource cheats have been a standard feature for more than two decades.

Now they want 5 bucks to let you use one.

If the idea was really to attract mobile gamers, why not just let them use cheats. Surely they’d love a game even more if they weren’t being nickle and dimed for those advantages?

62. absolutezero

“If a games not asking me to pay for something every 5 minutes then its doing something wrong”

- Mr Steve Mobile Gamer, yesterday.

63. viralshag

I’m going home now so I’m afraid we’ll have to agree to disagree.

I’m probably not even going to get this game as I don’t even like Dead Space that much but this has been fun haha!

64. DSB

@59 Let’s not try to somehow make this a service to anyone. It’s cheat codes, for money.

It’s been in games for 20 years. It constitutes a total expense of 0 dollars and 0 cents on the part of the publisher.

It’s clearly not a question for me and others, of whether there’s a market or not, because obviously people will go as far as to have romantic relationships with their gaming consoles, defending features intended to rip them off.

I’m sure you can make a buck selling them just about anything.

The question is whether you should.

I think it’s problematic that a publisher and developer are suddenly right to fence in perfectly common features, with no purpose other than to create artifical value, and sell you nothing for the price of something.

At least for me, that would be the end of gaming, and obviously I’ll choose not to touch Dead Space 3 with a ten foot pole.

@62 Dead Spaceville!

I’m sure that’s already been said a million times, but for me it constitutes a major comedic breakthrough.

65. Sublimeone

This is just the cream of the cake, and people are crying fowl. There is still lots of DLC yet unannounced by Visceral – Suits and Guns Packs and many many (mimicing Commandant Lassard’s from Police Academy) more.