DmC “Is a reflection of our times”: Ninja Theory explains the game’s satire

Wednesday, 30th January 2013 14:26 GMT By Dave Cook

DmC: Devil May Cry is full of humour and satire, but many people didn’t get the joke. Regardless, Ninja Theory’s twisted take on a world full of subliminal messages, right-wing media and drugged soft drinks isn’t too be taken too seriously, even if it was created to loosely mirror some of the failings of modern life as we know it.

Speaking with RPS, Ninja Theory’s Dominic Matthews discussed the game’s satirical comedy, and how it is presented in the game’s world and twisted propaganda, “Satire is a peculiarly British focus. From Spitting Image to Have I Got News for You, we don’t hold back in ridiculing the establishment and getting to the truth through humour. DmC is no different in that regard. It’s a comical satire on the world we live in. It shouldn’t be taken too seriously but it is a reflection of our times”.

Matthews made no attempt to shrug off references to the Rowdy Roddy Piper flick ‘They Live’, in which subliminal messaging is thrown at humans constantly, and explained that DmC’s activist group ‘The Order’ as well as nods to the idea of fighting back – as depicted by Dante’s aptly-named sword ‘Rebellion’ – are about the need to rebel within the game world, and shouldn’t be stacked parallel against agendas or cases of activism in real life.

They are themes that should get people thinking, as Matthews suggested, “Our games are being played by intelligent adults, so there is no reason why we can’t treat them as such.”

On The Order and what it stands for Matthews added, “We thought about what tools a small resistance group like the Order would use to fight back. The themes presented shouldn’t be taken as Ninja Theory’s political stance or us trying to say one thing or another. We’re representing how we believe an organisation like The Order would operate in our world.”

What’s your take on the messages within DmC’s world? Do they have a poignant political sub-text, or are they just to be taken as fun? Let us know below.

1. PC_PlayBoy

I’ve played all the DMC games and Ninja Theory’s take on the series is the best one yet. Fuck the haters…

#1 1 year ago
  2. YoungZer0

That explains the “low” sale numbers.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Ristas

No official sale numbers have been publicized… http://penny-arcade.com/report/editorial-article/dmc-devil-may-cry-is-a-failure.-and-a-success.-just-look-at-the-sales

#3 1 year ago
  4. Da Man

The general public (except those any way deprived and/or tasteless) of adults doesn’t take videogames seriously, for a good reason.

Surprising.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Kabby

Spoiler. They rebel by putting squirrel semen into an aerosol can.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Clupula

Jesus Christ, why are we still talking about this game? Posting 40 articles on the damn thing isn’t going to make it any less of a flop.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Greek God

DmC bombed hard even in Europe :D

#7 1 year ago
  8. SameeR_Fisher

I wonder how DmC faired in sales, it hasn’t been that long I know, but sales would reflect on how people thought of the game, it looked cool but everywhere I look my friends are either not interested, or wanted to buy it and then didn’t get to.

Also with all due respect Dave, you are a great guy, but Brenna’s artcile was no joke at all, it was offensive, immature, and wasn’t worth it at all, I actually stopped -and won’t- comment on any article she writes.

#8 1 year ago
  9. salarta

1) The Devil May Cry series is not the place to do satire that is “a reflection of our times.” If satire about the modern day is the focus, then as I’ve been saying constantly, make a new IP for that purpose. Don’t force it onto an existing IP where it doesn’t belong.
    2) Making satire about modern times in itself is a tricky proposition. If you do it the wrong way, it comes off as ignorant and contrived, like a senator trying to pass a bill on internet regulation by calling it a series of tubes.
    3) When you tout your own work as for “intelligent adults” and not so subtly imply that anyone who doesn’t play it is not an “intelligent adult,” you reveal extreme narcissism and egotistical thought patterns. This is nothing more than an excuse to ignore legitimate criticism and make the people at Ninja Theory feel like they’re too “deep” and “cool” for the “average philistine” to understand.

Granted that my knowledge of the story is not as thorough as it could be as I refuse to play it or watch any videos. But judging by the information gathered from past articles about the game and what was said in this article, it sounds like to a large extent DmC is just Ninja Theory trying to copy the likes of 1984 and V For Vendetta (and of course as they noted, “They Live,” which was a terrific film) and force it onto Devil May Cry where it doesn’t belong.

If they want to make a game about humanity beholden by hidden but powerful manipulators and rebelling against authority, then they should have made it as a brand new IP. When you get down to it, that’s what this is: a blatantly obvious attempt to make an existing IP fit some “genius” idea they had based on other, far greater works of fiction (though to be fair, at present there are no new ideas in fiction, just new ways to present them).

And who knows, I might have bought this game if it was released as a brand new IP. I loved V For Vendetta (both Alan Moore’s graphic novel and the film) and “They Live,” and I’ve always felt that the video game medium could do with trying harder at being more artistic and intellectual. Unfortunately for Ninja Theory and Capcom, they decided that they did not want me to buy their product because it was oh so important to them to force their “genius” where it doesn’t belong rather than making the common sense and respectful decision to just make it the new IP they clearly wanted to create instead of something based on Devil May Cry. Ninja Theory may as well have made a Lord of the Rings game that introduces laser guns and space ships and changes the focus toward how super awesome heavy industry and rapid technological development is, nevermind that Tolkien clearly established a theme of nature as good and the mechanics of industry tearing away at nature as bad.

#9 1 year ago
  10. ManuOtaku

#6 clupula because of the strong feelings torwards this game, i think it reaches levels that surpass zelda wind waker, mario sunshine, resident evil 4, it is on another level, and because of this for better or worse, it will make a precedent on future games for longlasting series.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Clupula

@9 – I have to admit, I’d be really interested in a Lord of the Rings game with laser guns and space ships.

#11 1 year ago
  12. DSB

@8 So you don’t think that not commenting on whatever article she writes after the fact is immature in any way?

Hokay then. Hot tip – You could also try holding your breath until she apologizes.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Fin

Lord of the Rings sucks, lasers and spaceships would definitely make it better.

#13 1 year ago
  14. chris777

#3Ristas
    30/01/13, 2:41 pm

I am not sure about the sales and if it is a success or not but the game is worth it, especially at the prices offered… (http://www.kinguin.net/dmc-devil-may-cry/dmc-devil-may-cry-steam-key/dmc-devil-may-cry-steam-key-1215.html)

#14 1 year ago
  15. Erthazus

The plot in this game is totally retarded. I’m nost sure that it was a right choice to use it in devil May Cry universe. It was meh at best.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Clupula

@10 – It’s just I see so many blatant attempts to excuse the title and to try to convince people to give it a chance, even after the people have spoken. So many articles saying insulting anyone who doesn’t want to play it. Just overkill after overkill about a title that doesn’t warrant one fourth the attention it is receiving.

If the game had been a monster hit, like so many thought it would have been, I can understand talking about it over and over again. Discussing what went right, how it can be made even better next time, talking about Ninja Theory taking a gamble that paid off or whatever.

But when a game flops, fails to attract new customers like they wanted to, and has had a majority of the franchise’s fanbase against it from the very beginning, we know exactly what went wrong. It wasn’t the DMC that people wanted. End of story. They know what we want. Capcom have four options now.

1) Give people a DMC5. This would SEEM to be the most logical step, but this is Capcom we’re talking about

2) Go with a sequel and hope that people give that one a chance. That’d be pretty stupid to do, since the actions of the public show that we don’t care about DINO. We don’t like the gameplay. Putting it on Unreal was a giant mistake, but Ninja Theory don’t appear to know how to use another engine. More of the same will result in even less of the same sales.

3) Reboot it again. While this has a better chance than option 2, since there is a possibility that the fanbase might accept a reboot that is closer to the original, but still different, they could end up alienating even more people.

4) Kill the series. Wouldn’t be the first time Capcom have done that. *cough* Breath of Fire *cough*

What actually wouldn’t surprise me, knowing it’s Capcom would be for them to try to do options 1 & 2 at the same time, in the form of some sort of crossover game, in an attempt to have two separate DMC franchises going on at once. Plus, it’d give them the opportunity to stick online multiplayer into a Devil May Cry game and that does seem to be the thing. If Lost Planet and Resident Evil are anything to go by, Capcom do certainly love their co-op.

But beyond what Capcom are going to do in the future, I don’t see much to discuss anymore about the title. Those who want it, have it. Those who don’t, don’t. What’s to discuss about that?

#16 1 year ago
  17. Dave Cook

@8 that wasn’t a reference to Brenna’s article specifically. Just the comment thread that followed it. I’m not saying people’s opinions are wrong. That’d be very wrong of me, just highlighting that many people really dislike this game :)

#17 1 year ago
  18. SameeR_Fisher

@12: what is immature about that ?!, I don’t respect her opinion or her views, she lost the respect part, hence I am ignoring her.

I am not waiting for an apology, it isn’t like I know her or something, screw that, it’s not like I am the biggest DMC fan out there either, but I would rather ignore her after seeing how bad she can be.

#18 1 year ago
  19. Butcher8

I just find it comical that they poked fun at the world being controlled by a far right media when it’s clearly being controlled by the far left (at least in the west). I guess when you are far left in your views anything not far left will appear as far right. I liked the game but I would of preferred they kept their liberal agenda out of it.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Erthazus

@Clupula, Million times YES. I agree with everything you said right now.

Personally I want that “1)” option with old developers. After playing new DMC I don’t want a sequel. It’s just not really good at all. Too much stupid cut scenes and minimum gameplay with horrible dialogs and story, characters. I just don’t want it anymore.

#20 1 year ago
  21. ManuOtaku

#16 clupula you got valid points, and i agree, but my point is, and i cannot speak for everybody or the intentions of journalists and reviewers, etc, but i think one of the reasons for this is wanting that people will give the game a fair chance without any preconceptions, because right now, and that is my personal view, we are seeing more and more sequels, sequels that do the same thing over and over again, and seeing this example or how this turned out, probably they will be doing the same thing over and over again, without any intention to change anything because thats the way we dictate the tempo as consumers. This will may or may not affect the normal evolution of games, i dont known, but is a possibility, and in the end we are indicating to developers that we are afraid of changes in or beloved series.

Therefore i rather want to think that some people in this industry is really concern about this, rather than they are force to do it for multiple reasons that are not worthy mentioned here, i think if people will give a chance to this game, with a clear mind free of preconceptions, will make more good than harm, thats all.

#21 1 year ago
  22. DSB

@18 5 year old gets mad. 5 year old ignores mommy and daddy.

Think about it.

A hysterical woman writing a histrionic piece full of misguided bile aimed at a certain group really shouldn’t trigger that sort of reaction from a confident, mature person. Especially if you had no part of that group.

If she was being that irrational, surely it would be water off your back?

#22 1 year ago
  23. Clupula

I will say, having watched the cutscenes on Youtube, that the story is nowhere near the deep, intelligent tale that its creators would have you believe. For a nihilist, living off sex, drinking, and probably drugs, Dante sure is willing to have his dark soul filled with light by Kat and Vergil. He’s all, “I don’t care. Fuck everything,” until he finds out who he is and then is all, “I’m going to be everyone’s protector. How can we take the demons down? I care about Kat.”

It’s such a simplistic origin story. The whole time, I just kept thinking, “Why did this need to be told in this manner? Why did you need to reboot the series just to tell this second grade bullshit?” It would have actually made more sense to just shoehorn this story into the regular Devil May Cry continuity and skip the whole amnesia/origin plot, and instead tell the tale of pre-DMC3 teenaged Dante fighting demons in control of the media.

Also, Vergil wears a stupid, stupid hat.

#23 1 year ago
  24. SameeR_Fisher

@17: well I visited and found 300 or something reply which was way too much :D, and I agree that people dislike the game, but what I want to say is we need to be mature and respect each other, some people are bad and generalize stuff, YES, but that doesn’t mean we should step low like them and generalize and insult everyone who disliked the game.

to me you Dave are a good example, I saw you defend the game many times cause you played the game and knew what you were talking about, but your discussion was respectful and mature, that is what we need.

Not all who disliked the game are bad people, some didn’t like it, and just ignored the title, discussed it yes, but remained respectful in the process, no one should lump these people with the bad ones like Brenna did, just my 2 cents. :)

#24 1 year ago
  25. Fin

Jesus just get over it, it’s only a fucking game.

#25 1 year ago
  26. SameeR_Fisher

@22: you got a point there, but personally speaking you don’t engage with people who lost credibility, especially as she is a journalist whose opinion should shed light on games and help people to determine alot of things, credibility is an important fact, lose that, then why I am going to respond with you -not you of course-.

It was water of my back, I only posted 2 comments or 3 on that article, and that’s it, I was surprised today to find the comments are 300 or something, but that doesn’t change that to me, posting or commenting on her opinion is not worth it, again personally she lost credibility.

#26 1 year ago
  27. ManuOtaku

#26 It is 630+ comments and going up

#27 1 year ago
  28. SameeR_Fisher

#27: I have a feeling it is way off topic by now LOL

#28 1 year ago
  29. YoungZer0

@25: But the game was the one to fill their dark souls with LIGHTTTTTTTTT!!!!!!!!

#29 1 year ago
  30. Clupula

It’ll never be off-topic with YoungZer0 around to defend the game over and over again.

#30 1 year ago
  31. Samoan Spider

Well I’m well aware its unpopular and I’m likely to get lambasted, but (and I’m aware this is an unusual concept) I actually ‘had fun’ with this game. Now I looked up ‘Game’ on google, and after all the usual definitions I found: an amusement or pastime; diversion
    So that’s it covered. It said fuck all about anyone else’s opinion though I must say.

#31 1 year ago
  32. YoungZer0

@23: Why, you make it sound like you watched the cutscenes for the first time now. That’s weird, considering for how long you’ve been hating the games story.

You’re just another Erthazus, aren’t you?

#32 1 year ago
  33. Clupula

@32 – In all seriousness, I haven’t been here that long and I know you’ve been here before me, so…what did you do around here before this game was announced? Like now, you probably could consider defending DmC to be a part time job, but before the game, what did you do? Was it just an endless stream of “I hate MGS4″ posts or did you just go with the flow and just stick to whatever the subject at hand was?

#33 1 year ago
  34. YoungZer0

@33: Funny, you’ve been here for a short time and all you have to show for are negative comments towards the new DmC. That’s probably the reason why you registered in the first place. LAWL.

@3: That’s interesting. Now i have a link to show for everytime someone uses the “sales” argument.

#34 1 year ago
  35. Clupula

@34 – Yes, you’re totally right, I’ve never commented on any other subject ever. Not the Dualshock, not JRPG’s, not how much I love the MGR demo. It’s been all DmC, all the time.

#35 1 year ago
  36. Clupula

@34 – Oooh, did you just squirt a little from happiness? You found a link, so you can continue to discuss this game! Man, I’m imagining you have a room in your house/flat/whatever somewhere, like John Doe’s in Se7en, only, instead of Bible pages, you have articles and printouts of Dmc stuff everywhere.

#36 1 year ago
  37. YoungZer0

“Can people please stop talking about this game?! It makes me so mad that this game exists! I don’t want to lose old Dante! It makes me even madder to know that there are people out there defending a game I never played!”

#37 1 year ago
  38. Cobra951

@3: Perfect! It fits right in with the polarized hysteria.

@25: Right you are. Not gonna happen.

#38 1 year ago
  39. Dave Cook

@24 thank you :)

#39 1 year ago
  40. Clupula

Totally imagining YoungZer0 looking like Buffalo Bill from Silence of the Lambs, having his sacred DMC room, and dancing around to “Goodbye Horses” with a Tameem mask on, looking in the mirror repeating, “I’d fuck me! I’d fuck me!”

And then he goes out, looks for men with white hair, and reboots them in his cellar! “It puts the Virility on it’s skin or it gets the hose! Trust me! You’ll be better this way! No one liked the old you! It was tired and in need of fixing!”

#40 1 year ago
  41. DSB

@26 Ah, but you don’t get to claim that you don’t care, when you obviously care enough to blacklist the woman from whatever list you may in your head.

You can’t have it both ways. If you don’t care, you should be indifferent. If you care enough to ignore someone, and enough to demonstrably state that fact in a comment, then obviously you do care.

Opinions aren’t news. They’re not truth or fact. They’re not falsifiable or verifiable, they’re just expression.

An opinion shouldn’t be a threat to anyone, especially if it’s outrageous and obscene. If anything, the hysterical response to that piece serves to underline a number of the points she’s making.

#41 1 year ago
  42. Hellhound30x

#16 makes me happy that there are true “DMC” fans out there that don’t buy this spoon fed garbage every other website is trying to feed us.
    ” It’s just I see so many blatant attempts to excuse the title and to try to convince people to give it a chance, even after the people have spoken. So many articles saying insulting anyone who doesn’t want to play it. Just overkill after overkill about a title that doesn’t warrant one fourth the attention it is receiving.”
    SO WELL SAID!
    #8 ” Brenna’s article was no joke at all, it was offensive, immature, and wasn’t worth it at all” – I completely agree.
    I wish they would STOP trying to sell us the game and give us an honest opinion…
    kotaku actually wrote a pretty decent article. I thought they were fair.
    I didn’t walk away after reading it, like I’ve been “pitched” too…
    Don’t sell me the game…

#42 1 year ago
  43. Ireland Michael

@42 Lord forbid those people just happen to like it.

I know, crazy idea right?

#43 1 year ago
  44. Hellhound30x

#42 nothing wrong with people liking the game. Its wrong though when people get insulted for saying they don’t like it… just saying…

#44 1 year ago
  45. DSB

But it’s cool to say that you don’t like it based on YouTube videos, however? I mean without ever playing the game?

Just making sure we have this bullshit ruleset down.

#45 1 year ago
  46. Hellhound30x

@45 How do you know I’ve never played the game? I have. This is the purpose of a demo. Based on a “DEMONSTRATION” I am able, if in my eyes to formulate a valid opinion on the game. If 20 minutes can’t convince me the game is good, then ten hours isn’t going to do it either.
    I was set on buying Dead Space 3, but after playing the “DEMO” I have since decided against it.
    I played the “DEMO” for METAL GEAR RISING, and I liked what I played. I LIKED THE DEMONSTRATION I was given, and know what I’m getting into when I give up my HARD EARNED cash to buy it.
    What part of that don’t you get?

#46 1 year ago
  47. DSB

@46 I don’t recall ever mentioning you in that comment, but it does seem to have cleared a few things up even so.

I can only speak for myself, but I prefer to listen to people who actually played the game, and know what they’re talking about.

I feel that it does take giving up your hard earned cash, and wasting your undoubtedly valuable time, to earn the right to be taken seriously in anything you might have to say about it.

Watching 15 minutes of a movie and then slamming it. Does that really make sense to you? Listening to one track off an album and doing the same? Really guy?

#47 1 year ago
  48. Hellhound30x

#47 Sorry, I make youtube vids, and the comment was posted right after mine… so I thought…
    either way, I’ve read enough reviews, seen countless youtube vids on the game, and played the Demo on the 360 and the ps3… nothing there that made me want to buy it. Also I’m not going to waste my money on it. I think I’ve given the game its fair share of time.
    I like Ninja Theory for sure, but lets be honest here “combat” has never been one of their strong points.
    (I do own Heavenly Sword, and Enslaved, so yeah I do like Ninja Theory, just not their version of DMC.)
    I really was on the fence about this one too…

#48 1 year ago
  49. DSB

@48 Nyeah… But what you’re really saying is that you’re actually fine just repeating what everybody else is saying, because it corresponds to your own preconcieved notion of the game.

Actually coming up with your own opinion based on having played the game is for dummies, right?

It begs the question why it is so wrong for someone who has actually played the game to recommend it, when you haven’t even played it yourself, and don’t actually have any sound basis for knowing whether it is indeed commendable or not, other than what randomguy57 says on his YouTube channel?

Doesn’t he have a slightly stronger case for his recommendation, in having played the game from start to finish?

Surely you can see that you’re a bit fucked here.

#49 1 year ago
  50. GwynbleiddiuM

@49 But you don’t buy every game that there is in order to have an opinion on them, surely there are things out there that you have an strong opinion on them and haven’t bought or played from start to finish. Sometimes what you see and hear bout something is more than enough to help you have an opinion of your own. I have played the game and even though I’m not that far in it, I already hate it. The story is poor, the dialogues are just horrible and gameplay is too damn easy. Seriously getting passed some trash mobs was difficult at times in DMC 3 and 4 for me, here, no sweat, easy as pie, S rank just when you switch a weapon.

#50 1 year ago
  51. DSB

@50 It’s one thing to have an opinion, it’s another to say that someone else is wrong about a game that you’ve never actually played yourself.

I’ve judged plenty of games on an equally halfcocked basis. I’m not buying Torchlight 2 because the demo sucked and the beta sucked, but then I feel like I’m being pretty clear about that basis being precious few hours spent with the game, and I’m not saying the game isn’t perfectly fun to someone else.

I also think the guy in this story is totally uncredible, and merely saying whatever PR told him to say, just like everybody else in his position.

It’s funny how when you listen to developers unscripted, they’re often the harshest critics of their own games. This isn’t a guy talking about his game, this is a guy trying to sell his game, and it’s naive to think otherwise.

Steam tells me I’ve played 30 minutes of my copy of Devil May Cry 4 that I bought on a whim during one of the sales.

It’s really one of the most braindead games I have ever wasted my time on, and I don’t see why anyone else would do it. I also don’t see why anyone would feel it was worth all this attention. But that’s just my opinion based on 30 minutes with the game, it’s not like I have a great argument there.

Whether DMC is worth a fuck has never been my angle though. I just think there’s a lot of bullshit flying around that has nothing to do with the game itself, and I do like to draw attention to bullshit whenever I see it.

#51 1 year ago
  52. GwynbleiddiuM

That’s fair enough but it goes both ways. You can’t blame people for not taking a liking to what you found perfectly likeable and call them deprived-in their mommy’s basement-beard necks who has some growing the fuck up to do. It’s equally bullshit.

#52 1 year ago
  53. DSB

@52 Did Brenna do that? If you look at the article, she seemed to be addressing:

“… vocal minorities keen to espouse their insanity and ignorance”

I also thought it was well and truly clear that she wasn’t being entirely serious, once she went for the size of their dicks.

If you really see that as a reason to fly up and curse her name, then isn’t it safe to deduce that some sort of nerve has been struck?

Between the people judging a game they’ve barely touched, and mostly just watched on YouTube, and the guys who readily accuse VG247 staff of taking a bribe simply for posting a trailer (as if any publisher would consider that money on the dollar) isn’t it safe to say that some people were indeed guilty as charged?

There’s nothing insane or ignorant about not liking a game that you’ve actually played, and there’s nothing wrong with telling people why that is. That’s perfectly normal. I don’t see why people who conduct themselves so rationally would ever feel targeted by Brennas article.

Beyond that I don’t see why it’s somehow a slap in the face. I mean, do you see yourself in those words?

You’re actually playing the game, and you’re capable of critisizing it on a perfectly rational basis. Unless you’re sending death threats from your moms basement and crying about your small penis all day long, how is that possibly aimed at you?

#53 1 year ago
  54. Spider Law

i was on the hate wagon for this game all the way from it’s announcement up until its release. I didn’t understand why anybody had any interest in it. Then i came home and my loving wife had a new copy waiting for me. Now, i said to her “Thanks love but i think we should take it back, im not really interested in this game.” Seeing her face sadden as she really wanted me to be happy for surprising me because she watched me play DMC 1-4 all over again the past few months, made me reconsider and tell her “Well, until now! JK pop it in and lets give ‘er a test drive.”

I COULD NOT PUT THE GAME DOWN AFTER THAT!!!!

It was so much fun. I had a blast. Sure, the dialogue wasn’t brilliantly written BUT the action was awesome! the gameplay was intense from start to finish and there is so much to do. I also thoroughly enjoyed the story, really. It played on whats happening in society as we speak. Yes, it did so in a satirical manner but either way, i dug it.

Definitely a good game. I think its Ninja Theory’s best work yet. I enjoyed Heavenly Sword and thought that Enslaved was so-so but yeah, this game rocked.

#54 1 year ago
  55. salarta

@54: While I’m disappointed that you don’t see why DmC is a bad thing despite any quality it may have if taken as its own product separate from Devil May Cry, I do have to say that I can respect your decision to play it in this case. It would be kind of jerkish to not play it or at least give it a try when your wife got it for you because she looked forward to making you happy.

#55 1 year ago
  56. Hellhound30x

@#49 Now concerning “demo’s”
    Its not my fault a game developer chooses a weak ass “demo” to show me. If I go to the car lot, they aren’t going to show me a piece of crap car, and promise me that the car I buy will be a thousand times better.
    Basically what you’re saying, “Is I have to OWN the car before I am “qualified” to have an opinion about it.” Is it not?
    I’ve been gaming a long, long time, and believe me I can formulate my own opinion on it by the demo alone.
    Can’t I see the graphics? Can’t I see the animations? Can’t I get a feel for the gameplay, and an idea of how loose, or tight the controls might be?
    So all the demo’s I can down load on X box live, or PSN are not there for you to have a demonstration of the game, to which you can formulate an opinion. Nope! According to your logic I have to own the game and play it forwards and backwards before I can have a “valid” opinion in your eyes?

(Watch out with your opinion here fellas, now they are telling you how you can have one, and not have one.)

#56 1 year ago
  57. GwynbleiddiuM

@DSB As I said before my issue was more with how she said what she said rather than her whole point. I even acknowledged that there were some truth in her article, my comment is I think in the first 50′s and so many people can’t be all just wrong in taking the whole article the wrong way. My excuse can be that I’m not as good as I think I am in English but there were many others who have expressed similar understandings.

It’s quite simple read the entire rage face part to the last. Her target is everyone who didn’t take a liking to the reboot. Not just the vocal minority, striking a nerve you say? “You’ve lost it gamers. I’m ashamed to be sharing an arbitrary demographic grouping with such raving imbeciles.” I didn’t like it either but I never went on every forum board and comment section that I could get my hands on ranting about it.

Anyway, this whole DmC shit has gone on for far too long, and outlived its importance, dwelling more on the subject won’t make you see my point, even though I already acknowledged yours in the first comment I made on the subject.

#57 1 year ago
  58. DSB

@56 If you’re gonna tell me how the new Ford drives, I’d prefer it if you had something to base that on, beyond having sat in one for a while, and looked at it on YouTube, yeah.

You’re judging Die Hard as a movie when you haven’t even gotten past the christmas party.

It’s just not very bright, and while you’re entitled to your opinion – however premature it might be – you still don’t get to be taken seriously if that’s all you got.

Again, I’m going to go with the guy who actually has something to base it on, rather than the guy who claims to be a videogame genius with psychic powers.

@57 I gotta say I read it a bit differently.

When she says “gamers” (and those are actually her quotes) I still see her referring to the group she singled out earlier.

I don’t agree with her last paragraph, though. I think it’s legitimate to have certain expectations going into a franchise, and I think it’s obvious that publishers do take a lot of liberties using old IPs to sell entirely new games, and they can be held accountable for that.

But is this really the worst example of that happening? To me it looks like a pretty honest attempt to revitalize the series, regardless of whether it’s good or bad.

#58 1 year ago
  59. Hellhound30x

@#58 I ONLY buy FORD!!! (=

#59 1 year ago
  60. monkeygourmet

Everyone still defending Brenna’s article I see. Hilarious when it almost certain she knew exactly what it was intended to achieve (hits wise), and people are still arguing about its journalistic ‘merit’…

I don’t know what’s worse. The shitty, mildly provocative article on a generally good website or the legions of people trying to make it into something even the author didn’t intend it to be.

On and off topic, people still arguing about this shitty game and I can’t find a single person online in the soon to be cult classic ‘Anarchy Reigns’… Sad state of affairs in gamer land…

#60 1 year ago
  61. DSB

So what you’re really saying is that you know exactly what was in her head at the time.

I can’t really compete with that. Apparently we have a mind reader and a psychic videogame reviewer in our midst. Slap on some spandex and you’d make the two least impressive superheroes in history.

#61 1 year ago
  62. absolutezero

Its a sad time when something with less wit, intelligence and humour than the Slurm episode of Futurama is held up as satire.

Video games then for intelligent adults who do not read, or watch TV or listen to music or follow cinema. Or go outside.

YEAH VIDEO GAMES.

#62 1 year ago
  63. absolutezero

Also say if I read the entire script of a movie could I pass judgement on that?

What about if I hear all the voice acting from cartoon, could I say conclusively if I disliked them?

Would that effect my choice to purchase or not. Everything that I have taken in about DmC has been nothing but poor quality in my eyes, the story is both lazy and hilariously po-faced in places, the visuals are horrible, the combat decisions from both a style and pad position are confusing etc etc

Is that enough for me to call it a bad game and expect to be taken part way seriously? From a stranger perhaps not, but if my friend told me that I would steer well clear of whatever it happened to be that he was discussing. I would’nt go “We’ll have you played the full game? FUCKING HAVE YOU? CUNT.”

#63 1 year ago
  64. Kabby

Perhaps you should.

#64 1 year ago
  65. absolutezero

It would be worth it just to see the reaction.

I thought Hitman Absolution looked terrible from more or less its first reveal. Having actually played the full game, shockingly its terrible. My opinion now holds more weight than before because I wasted 40 quid. I had people in the know, intelligent people of the right royal games media telling me it was good. Of course I had to completely go against my initial reaction. I mean how could they be wrong? Mass Effect 3 was a classic right? Right?

#65 1 year ago
  66. Hellhound30x

@#65absolutezero Dude, I wish I could give you a “thumbs up” on your comments. lol… good stuff!

#66 1 year ago
  67. monkeygourmet

Of course I don’t know exactly what she was thinking.

But by the quality and direction of the article it isn’t exactly hard to work out.

If she wanted to turn it into something with slightly more credence, why not go with;

Should gamers feel entitled?

Maybe an article summing up some of the pros and cons surrounding gamers attitude towards changes in franchises? Would have added more weight and integrity to the piece.

Rather than a shameless cash in and hatchet job on a certain stereotype with zero focus on the main problems with a franchise change.

At worst she is misguided.

At best she was trolling.

I think it’s the latter as her other articles can be well written. It’s purely weighing up averages which is all I can do given the evidence of her previous work. She took this job remember, you do put yourself on a podium for better or worse, it’s part of the bit.

What’s worse, is people blindly making it into something it’s clearly not. It wasn’t deep, it wasn’t thought provoking, it wasn’t clever. It was a trashy article at best and the defence of it truely shows that certain people would buy a lump of shit if you told them it was gold.

#67 1 year ago
  68. DSB

@absolutezero Lulz :P

That was really killing me when Mass Effect 3 came out, because I was pretty confident that I would’ve hated it every bit as much as I did Mass Effect 2. But since I didn’t play it, I couldn’t exactly argue with a bunch of people who had.

Doing so would’ve made me look pretty dumb, I think.

@67 No doubt, and I don’t think Brenna gives half a fuck what anyone thinks about it either way.

It was opinion, not fact. You can agree or disagree, that’s up to you.

Personally I thought it was great, but what really clinched it was definitely the reaction.

If people hadn’t blown their lid, then maybe you could make the argument that Brenna didn’t have some kind of a point.

#68 1 year ago