Wii U Virtual Console games won’t import previous save files

Tuesday, 29th January 2013 10:37 GMT By Nick Akerman

With the Wii U’s Virtual Console announced, many wondered whether save files from the Wii’s Virtual Console can be brought over. In a rather bold move, Nintendo says no.

Speaking to Kotaku, Nintendo says the Wii U’s Virtual Console is connected to the Wii equivalent in name only. You will be able to play a older games on your Wii U GamePad, but what if you purchased them on the older console?

There are two ways around this. You can still access the Wii’s Virtual Console through your Wii U, and can transfer your Wii data straight onto the new console. Saved games can be accessed by heading through the original Wii’s VC screen- but cannot be played on the GamePad.

Alternatively, you can pay a fixed fee ($1 for NES games, $1.5 for SNES), to re-download the titles onto the Wii U VC and your GamePad. You cannot transfer your saved game data using this method.

Is this a little cheeky from Nintendo?

1. Psychotext

Bless, they really didn’t think a lot of this through.

2. mistermogul

@1 – yeah you’re spot on and it’s a good example of how they lag behind MS and Sony with online functionality.

Tbh this news doesn’t surprise me at all but Nintendo really need to sort this shit out if they plan more consoles in the future…

3. Fin

/eyeroll

4. Gadzooks!

I really hope Ninty can hire some competant programmers and release a major OS update. Completely overhaul it as it’s a rickety piece of shit right now.

Give me Wii BC without having to reboot in Wii mode, sort out the patch/demo install rubbish, speed shit up and get more demos out and then I might be tempted to get one.

I’m desperate to get my hands on that lovely controller, I just want a better OS to support it.

5. DrDamn

Last Nintendo direct mentioned a Spring and Summer update this year which will address speed issues most. I doubt Wii mode, patch/demo install stuff will ever be different.

6. Dragon246

Does anyone in ninty even know what does “online”, “connectivity” and “ease of use” mean?
    They should hire some competent people to sort out this mess.

7. Christopher Jack

Gets me thinking of how MS & Sony will handle BC next gen. I personally hope in the case of both networks they overhaul rather than replace it while keeping it all connected with this gen so you can still access all your games & everything else that’s connected to your account.

8. OlderGamer

When I upgraded from xbox one to xbox360, all of my arcade games that I purchased on xbox one were essentialy gone. If I wanted to play those games on xb360, I had to rebuy them. I could still use my purchases on the xbox one ofc…untill MS simply shut it off.

BC is going to be a big issue for me next gen.

Nintendo has it, sorta kinda. But it could be a hella lot better. I can play everything I bought on Wii with the WiiU. I am just annoyed that it has a “Wii Mode”. And I think all digital content should work on WiiU and its gamepad right out of the gate. No 1usd or 1.5usd upgrade fee. Likly those are liscencing fees. The same way Rockband charged you to import songs from one game into another one. In that reguard CJ might be right, the other two guys could also charge a fee. If they offer it at all. Again I am reminded of the Xbox one.

Should be better today, as now these systems have unified account owners. The content should belong to the acount, tied to the owner and not the platform it is purchased on. But I don’t know what will happen yet.

It would be nice if Nintendo smoothed this out. That being said for about 1usd, I get to have a few of my all time favs in HD and playable on the GamePad..I will prolly pay the fee for a couple of games I own.

9. Gadzooks!

If the reports of 1.6 or 1.9Ghz Jaguar cores for the Nextbox are true then BC is definitely not happening.

There are loads of single-thread games out there that simply cannot be parallelised.

Streaming BC titles is a possibility though. Sony probably have the advantage there what with owning Gaikai and all.

The WiiU BC faff is a little bit faffy, but it works flawlessly and is getting plenty of use by my Friday night crew.

10. DrDamn

Are the WiiU versions of the downloads actually different to the Wii versions? I know functionality is different but is that just all provided by the VC software on the WiiU rather than an update to the title itself.

Any digital PSP games bought before the Vita are freely downloadable again onto the Vita. As are PSOne titles which you may have bought on PSP or PS3 previously. No charge for transferring these and in fact you can use them on multiple systems.

However, I can’t see NextBox or PS4 supporting BC natively in any way. Gadzooks! makes a very good point on why the NextBox won’t. For the PS4 I can’t see them emulating the PS3 without a Cell processor included in the box. GaiKai is the intresting option for them there.