EVE Online’s Battle of Asakai had 3,000 participants over the weekend

Tuesday, 29th January 2013 15:39 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Over the weekend, the Battle of Asakai took place in EVE Online and 3,000 players were present in the Asakai VI region of the Kurala constellation to battle it out. Apparently, the battle was the result of an accident, reports RPS.

What happened, was a Titan pilot of the ClusterFuck Coalition, which is a splinter of SomethingAwful’s GoonSwarm, was trying to “bridge”. In other words, he was trying to allow other ships to warp to his ship’s point and instead warped himself into the Pandemic Legion’s territory. Panic ensued, reinforcements came in, and war commenced.

EVE Online is like the wild west – if it were run by accountants and CPAs – and while I do not understand its goings on in the least, I am fascinated by it at times.

You can find out more on this spontaneous battle here, which left many bits of ships floating in space: 222 ships were lost, and the total cost hit somewhere between 400 and 700 billion ISK (EVE currency).

1. Dragon246

Hopefully someday I will play this awesome game. And to think all this started because of an human error of a single person!

2. Stephany Nunneley

@1 I honestly tried once. Did my head in, and made me cry. ;)

3. Dragon246

@Steph,
    Did you read the full synopsis of the event? I read the eurogamer article and it frankly was awesome!
    Monthly subs and a piss poor laptop prevent me from playing this right now.

4. Stephany Nunneley

EVE Online learning curve via Reddit:

5. Dragon246

@4,
    Watched that earlier. But life was never easy was it? And I think eve provides the most realistic human interaction environment out of all the games, so its difficulty is understandable imo.

6. roadkill

This is f**king EPIC! :D Too bad they didn’t have enough points on that Leviathan. :)