Tomb Raider skipped Wii U to avoid half-hearted port, says dev

Monday, 28th January 2013 17:17 GMT By Dave Cook

Tomb Raider developer Crystal Dynamics isn’t bringing its reboot to Wii U, according to creative director Noah Hughes. He has explained exactly why in a new interview.

In a video interview with TrueGaming, Hughes said, “I’m always a fan of the Nintendo systems, in particular they really push interface design, and from a game design perspective it’s fun to play with new interfaces. Having said that, it’s something that I think we would want to tailor the experience to if we were going to do it.

“All three [other console and PC versions] are really trying to deliver roughly the same experience, but delivered best on each platform, and I think something like the Wii U often asks you to do something unique based on a unique interface. That’s something as a gamer I love, but it’s something you don’t want to do half-heartedly as a developer.”

What do you make of that then? Would a standard port have been acceptable enough, or would you have wanted something more from a Wii U build?

Thanks Gamespot.

1. ps3fanboy

this comes not as a shock that many will skip the wii-u. it just isn’t capable of running new games of today… and worse its gonna get when the nextgen arrive in a year…

#1 1 year ago
  2. gomersoul

shame Nintendo didn’t skip Wii u to avoid a half hearted next gen console :P

#2 1 year ago
  3. lexph3re

I wouldn’t call the Wii U a half hearted next gen especially if PS360 lasts another 3-5 years. I just hope they don’t focus so much on group games they forget about the person who plays alone.

#3 1 year ago
  4. dreamcastnews

@1,2

Wow your ignorance is purely bliss. Funny, PS3Fanboy, I seem to remember the PS3 had a real rough start so surely judging the Wii U really isn’t where you want to be.

I forgot when a console became judged on how ‘next gen’ it is, do either of you clowns even know what that means? How do you judge a console as ‘next gen’ if its just graphics, I feel very sorry for your chronic case of tunnel vision.

#4 1 year ago
  5. monkeygourmet

It didn’t stop anyone else doing shitty ports…

#5 1 year ago
  6. DeVitowned

As a gamer, I don’t give a shit if the port takes advantage of the unique interface or not. I want to play the game for the game itself, even if it is a carbon copy of the version coming out for the other consoles.

Use AC3 as an example, there really isn’t much of a difference in interface, with an expanded map showing on the screen, or the ability to play the entire game on the screen itself. I would be quite satisfied laying back, head on the pillow playing the new Tomb Raider on the GamePad screen.

This excuse developers have been using as of late concerning not bringing ports to Wii U based on them taking advantage of a unique interface is bullshit; pure damn laziness.

#6 1 year ago
  7. polygem

i will probably skip this game anyway. i am thinking about starting to play third party games on my ps3 finally. the 360 was my main console, but xbl gold expires in march and with ni no kuni, gow and last of us around the corner i am really thinking about making the ps3 my main console now for this fading gen. i am excited about the ps3 again, which really only was my exclusives machine this gen…would be fair to change that now i think.

@lex: forgetting the last thread ;)
    …you really think 3 to 5 years? i mean, i was out in the woods with the dog today reflecting a little about next gen. i really think ms should launch soon, maybe end of the year, early next year. ps3 still has more steam i think. i can really see it last ´til late 2014 but then, that´s it.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Francis O

@ 1,2

LOL—– Xenoblade 2 or X says hi, That game looks better than any current generation RPG and has massive world.

Wait till E3, Retro will show you a thing or two with Metroid Prime 4.

#8 1 year ago
  9. theevilaires

What OMG the supposedly “NEXT GEN CONSOLE” can’t even get a current gen port….LMAO. Come on Nintendo play catch up or do what you do best release your rehashed first part games 6 -9 month gaps to keep your platform alive. Proof is in the pudding but people still are in denial the Wii U should have launched in 2006 instead of that gamecube 2 aka Wii.

#9 1 year ago
  10. dreamcastnews

What are you talking about you jibering retard? Do you know how many Wii consoles have been sold? Did Nintendo say this was a ‘next gen’ console? Clue, no; They didn’t. Those ‘rehashed’ games? Like what exactly? I guess you’d think Gears of War, Killzone, Uncharted, Forza, Halo, God of War etc are all fresh as a daisy?

The Wii U is at least trying to bring something new to the table, obviously that’s lost of a gamer concerned purely by graphics.

Before you quip with ‘fanboy’ or some shit like that, I like all three consoles I just have a low tolerance for cretins.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Francis O

@9 how is it Nintendo’s fault Crystal Dynamics doesn’t want to port Tomb Raider to the Wii U? Mass Effect, Assassin’s Creed, and other ports are on Wii U. Resident Evil Revelations, Aliens Colonial Marines, and Injustice Gods Among Us are coming to Wii U as well.

#11 1 year ago
  12. daytripper

@10 http://m.kotaku.com/5961840/nintendo-boss-declares-wii-u-the-start-of-the-next-console-generation-teases-looming-surprises

#12 1 year ago
  13. lexph3re

I think MS should honestly run the steam boat. Wait for a ps3U price drop then drop the 360 price again. Use it to become the ps2 of this gen if their smart. Of course that means making a notably different console then their current and letting it sit with upgraded next-gen games and 1st party exclusives.

I can really see MS pulling that off.

#13 1 year ago
  14. dreamcastnews

@10, Nintendo are quoted saying ‘new generation’ not next generation.

#14 1 year ago
  15. daytripper

Oh for fuck sake

#15 1 year ago
  16. theevilaires

@10 and 11.

I have two questions for both of you…and Poly eventually

1. How hard is it to port a game over to a console with double the memory and slightly faster GPU & CPU?

2. Why didn’t Nintendo release the Wii U in 2006 instead of the Wii?

#16 1 year ago
  17. dreamcastnews

@16, like a blunt compass – you’re missing the point.

They aren’t saying that it can’t be ported, they are saying that they can’t think of a worthwhile use for the controller at reasonable time that this game would be launching for the other two.

Why would they release the Wii U in 2006 when they obviously had the right formula in 2006 with the Wii, fresh off the bat of the failing Gamecube, the last thing Nintendo needed was another graphics race (at the time) with Microsoft and Sony, they saw Sony was selling millions of PS2 consoles still and went for that market, indeed the Wii is the Gamecube 2 purely because it’s everything (sales wise) the Gamecube should have been.

It’s not news that Nintendo are a slight graphical step behind now, we have the Gamecube to thank for that or at least – the public that didn’t buy the machine to begin with, everyone with eyes also knows that Nintendo play the ‘different approach to games’ card.

#17 1 year ago
  18. daytripper

I like Nintendo, have grew up with them and for me the SNES is in my top three best systems however this generation/next generation debate started with the Wii, before that there was no argument it was straight forward, the new systems would be a clear step up from the previous release but now we have a ” is it” ” it isn’t” ” it’s a new generation in itself ” when previously there was none of this talk at all, it was easy and clear as day. I think the Wii U is decent, MiiVerse is great but is it a next generation console ? Not for me and when the Ps4 and Xbox Next arrive it will be interesting to see if Wii U follows Wii in terms of third party support.

#18 1 year ago
  19. dreamcastnews

Oh I reckon it will be just like the Wii when it comes to third party support, but hopefully Nintendo by that point will have shaken the reputation gained by the Wii and have more hardcore orientated titles, which is evident by their recent Nintendo Direct, they know that they have to publish the wheat and discard the chaff.

#19 1 year ago
  20. monkeygourmet

I have exactly the same idea about PS3 though.

Great for exclusives but I wouldn’t touch a lot of the third party stuff with a barge pole as I have a 360.

So for me, and a lot of people, the PS3 serves exactly the same purpose as the Wii.

This may well change next gen if the PS4 is easy to develop for, however, I still can’t see it being a huge problem. It just means the Wii U will have a shitload more exclusives.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Sini

LOL @ people still hoping nintendo with do anything different regarding lackluster third party support after n64, gamecube, wii efforts. You’ll get your third party collaborations couple times like in the old days, they’ll sell like shit, and that will be it. Fourth time in a row.

I said it before and I’ll say it again, nintendo doesn’t deserve to have its own home console. Behind on eyecandy each gen, most recent new core ip was pikmin; over 10 years ago? and piss poor third party support, online infrastructure in its infancy.

#21 1 year ago
  22. dreamcastnews

Why do you keep going on about Pikmin idiot?

Chibi Robo
    Metroid Prime
    Disaster Day of Crisis
    Endless Ocean
    Ghost trick
    Kororinpa
    Wing Island

And tonnes more I can’t be assed to list

Why on earth would you keep bringing Pikmin up, must be the fourth time you’ve name dropped Pikmin, I guess your experience with Nintendo products lies solely with playing a ten minute game of Pikmin in 2002 on a store demo GC?

You do understand that practically every developer under the sun made a Wii game? And shock, some were actually fantastic, I feel sorry for you if superficial things like visuals are top on your list…. Lol I bet you bought a Sega Mega CD and 3DO in 1993 ‘look at those graphicccczzzz’

#22 1 year ago
  23. Sini

truth hurts, doesn’t it kid. And it’s go back to your PC, get it right console peasant.

#23 1 year ago
  24. absolutezero

Man video games are fucking shit.

#24 1 year ago
  25. dreamcastnews

@23 console peasant ?

Phahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha………

…… Phahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

What an out and out shit for brains.

#25 1 year ago
  26. CPC_RedDawn

I love to see these comments go from game development to graphics and power rants.

So what, the article says that the devs didn’t feel like they had time to properly focus on the new controller to actually use it the way they would of liked to. You know for a fact that the game would come out and maybe have slightly better graphics on WiiU than 360 and PS3 but it would have rubbish controller support and people would just focus on that rather than the fact that its more or less the same game as the other platforms.

Nintendo have got a double edged sword on their hands with the Wii and Wii U, they are making new ways to play sure. But they are also taking away from the actual games themselves. People are more interested in the controllers now than the actual game it self such as story, graphics, gameplay, etc. If a game comes out on the WiiU and all it has is an inventory screen on the controller then people bash it for not being inventive enough.

Who cares if the console has X or Y amount of power, have you seen that Zelda tech demo? or Mario Galaxy on the Wii, or Wind Waker HD remake? They look fantastic and Mario Galaxy was on the Wii which was basically an overclocked Gamecube! But more importantly the game was great fun to play!

#26 1 year ago
  27. dreamcastnews

@26 +1

#27 1 year ago
  28. ketamine

It’s funny when kids think that a company s “lazy” for not porting to a specific platform. These are corporation work for a profit, do you seriously think they would not port it if it was making money for them?

Whether it would not sell or would be bad and would not sell does not really matter but calling them lazy is just childish.

#28 1 year ago