Anonymous embed game in US Government website, enter Konami Code to play

Monday, 28th January 2013 16:59 GMT By Dave Cook

Hackers operating as part of Anyonymous have responded to the suicide of SOPA activist and programmer Aaron Swartz by embedding a game into several US websites, accessible by inputting the fabled Konami Code.

Naked Security reports that the hackers have fixed it so when you enter the Konami Code – tapping up up, down down, left right, left right on your keyboard, then press “B”, “A” then “Enter” – you will bring up a game of arcade hit Asteroids on several US Government websites.

The report claims that the first site to be hit was that of the US Sentencing Commission in what the hackers are calling “Operation Last Resort”. It comes in response to Swartz’ depression and eventual suicide as a result of his ongoing legal battles against federal charges brought against him.

We covered the whole affair here.

What’s your take on the hackers’ embedded antics? Let us know below.

Thanks MCV.

1. YoungZer0

A more fitting name for the operation would be appropriate, don’t you think? How about Operation “This Won’t Do Jack-Shit.”

2. theevilaires

Come on no link to a government website :( I wanna try this out.

3. viralshag

My take is hackers will never be cool until they all look like J-Bone and own a dolphin.

4. Cobra951

I’m disappointed. If they’re going to act, they should do so against the prosecutors who pushed him over the edge, not some easy government sites. This just looks like a childish prank. I’m glad it’s not destructive, at least.

5. mobiugearskin

I wish this lot had the balls to show their faces. They supposedly believe in these campaigns so much… That they “protest” from their chairs and then hide.

Really big. Really inspirational.

They champion things like transparancy and yet refuse to reveal their identities.

And they use the V mask. Did any of them read the book?

6. LuLshuck

virgin cunts

7. YoungZer0

@5: Let me get this straight, you want the people who hack government sites to show their faces to the government?

8. NeoSquall

Damn Dave, by writing “SOPA activist” you almost made me believe that Swartz was pro-SOPA, I had to check my source to get it straight…
    You should edit it as “anti-SOPA activist”.

9. mobiugearskin

@YZero

Yeah, I do. Protestors and activists in the real world break laws all the same, face the consequences and then do it again. Because they have courage in their convictions.

This lot… Pah! Its so half arsed.

10. YoungZer0

@9: You do understand what ultimately drove Swartz into his suicide, don’t you? Don’t you think they would do the same to other people as well?

11. NeoSquall

@9 Penalties for punks that break laws while “protesting” on the streets are nowhere near what you can face online, case in point Aaron Swartz.
    Unless you live in Iran or Egypt.

12. mobiugearskin

@YZero

Oh, so der governmentz effectively murdered him then, yeah?
    Conspiracy theories are a joke.

13. NeoSquall

@12 Nope, Mr. thick-skull, the prospect of serving a 35 year prison sentence at 24 years, for a supposed crime that none of the parties involved wanted to pursue, killed him.

14. wickedcricket

@ 5, yeah I completely agree with you. I remember few years ago my CC was stolen and used to make a purchase right before I’ve cancelled it. Couple of years later Anonymus hacked some merch-shop site (that, as their statement, said is somehow related to bending into the “right side” politically engaged group of people), where actually my CC was used. They have distributed the list of those who made a transatction with the above, and until today my name, surname, address, phone, email is visible to everyone in the internet and I’m officialy marked as a person promoting Nazism.

@9 They are bunch of idiots and cowards. When will they realise they actually hurting innocent people? Not many (like me) but I guess they don’t care as long as they have an audience. Hacking government sites? What will that change?

This is not hacking, raging or any form of protest. This is just stupid. I hope they will catch them and put them all to prison or some place where they can be really usefull and help or do something for other people.