California senator Yee: gamers have “no credibility” in violent media argument

Saturday, 26th January 2013 16:15 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

California state senator Leland Yee , who tried to pass a bill banning the sale of violent video games to children – a move blocked by the US Supreme Court in 2011 – is back in the news, adding his two cents to President Obama’s decision to have the CDC study whether there’s a ink between violent media and gun violence.

After various sites reported on his comments, Yee took to Twitter to admit he “didn’t use the best words” to covey his opinion on the matter.

According to Yee, gamers should pipe down over the matter, because we have “no credibility” and a “lust for violence.”

“Gamers have got to just quiet down,” Yee told the San Francisco Gate. “Gamers have no credibility in this argument. This is all about their lust for violence and the industry’s lust for money. This is a billion-dollar industry. This is about their self-interest.”

He’s right you know. How many of you or someone you know have gone ballistic over losing to someone in a Call of Duty game and took such frustrations out at the food co-op by slapping hippies around with a cluster of kale? I know I have. I even once strangled my better half over losing to Ganondorf for the fifth time in The Ocarina of Time. Luckily, he enjoyed it and asked me to do it again sometime.

All joking aside, Yee seems to think gamers are nothing more than psychotic neanderthals who need to be reigned in. Or ill-behaved children who should just sit in the corner and be quiet. Never mind the fact that we live in a country which allows free-speech and has given us the right to vote when we turn 18.

Chicken Little extremists come from all walks of life, and Yee falls into this category. The sad part, is that he is an elected official who holds influence over the constituents which voted for him. I have no idea what positive things he has done for the state of California, nor do I care because I don’t live there. What I do care about though, is someone who thinks that gamers do not have a dog in this fight, when we do.

It is our entertainment medium; it is our right as citizens of the United States to cry foul when we’re uneducatedly linked with lunatics who go on shooting rampages. It is blatant ignorance to assume we are all filled with so much blood lust that we’re just one loss in XCOM away from grabbing a mini-14 and heading down to the local shopping mall.

Luckily, there are many voices of reason in this political climate, who outnumber those prone to knee-jerking: US VP Joe Biden being one, and the executive director of the International Game Developers Association, Kate Edwards, is another.

“It’s important to point out that some of the most popular video games in history are all titles such as Wii Sports, The Sims, Super Mario Brothers,the Pokemon series and Tetris,” she told the San Francisco Gate.

“So while the games containing more violence get the attention, they’re not a reflection of the game industry as a whole, just as a single genre of film, TV or literature doesn’t represent that medium as a whole.”

Hopefully, more experts such as Edwards will start talking louder, in order to drown out biased fear mongers such as Yee. And hopefully, certain American news outlets will give these people the attention they deserve, even if their comments don’t make for an attention grabbing headline.

In the meantime, Yee is the one who needs to “quiet down,” and let the experts do their $10 million worth of research.

UPDATE: According to tweets from Yee (thanks, Splatterhouse): Gamers, I admittedly didnt use best words to SFchron. Meant video game industry has inherent conflict of interest in the gun violence debate. I have a lot of respect for many gamers – many are on my staff and in my family – but the industry has profited at the expense of children.”

1. TMRNetShark

If that’s his stance on how politics should work… he should “quiet down” about making laws… because he has “no credibility” as a politician.

2. Phoenixblight

Yee has lost with his bill against the supreme court more than once his credibility is that of a wet paper bag.

That state is in a hole that their political leaders have dug because they have passed bills that have cost the state billions of dollars so much so the schools are taking a heavy hit.

So all the politicians especially this one are looking for ways to grab a quick cash grab to try to bring the state away from its debt.

3. Erthazus

He holds my favourite game of this console generation. :D

and I actually understand him. He played this game on the PS3. Worst port ever.

4. NeoSquall

By taking Yee’s words into account, every party directly concerned in a crisis shouldn’t have credibility in the argument, case in point the NRA and the other firearms organizations in the increasing gun violence argument.

How many guns do you have in your house, senator Yee?
    Do you want credibility in the argument? Throw them out.

5. jonahfalcon

Note to Mr. Yee:

1. Ad hominem.

2. Stop wasting California taxpayer money. You tried before, and the only thing you accomplished was spending millions of dollars in a failed bill.

6. Moonwalker1982

@3 That actually was quite good man :)

7. Beta

Stop talking about things you have no knowledge in Mr. Yee.

And get back to wasting more money on failed bills.

The man has a twitter if anybody wants to tell Mr. Yee their opinion on being told to pipe down. :p @LelandYee

8. loveaya

A typical politician face, especially as a Hongkong man~

9. HauntaVirus

Anyone who says stuff like that has no credibility, he’s really confused.

10. TD_Monstrous69

So according to him, I’m a blood-thirsty, vile human being for playing violent video games, and liking violent games like Red Dead Redemption. Even though I’m a nice person, who has a job, is goal-oriented, has a relatively positive outlook on the world, and doesn’t act violent towards anyone I know or happen to run into while playing online (no matter how bad I’m doing playing COD or anything else for that matter). To say consumers have no credibility in this argument is just ignorant. To me, Leland Yee is nothing more than a defender of ignorance to a culture he, along with many others know nothing about.

11. SplatteredHouse

Twitter of Yee: “Gamers, I admittedly didnt use best words to SFchron. Meant video game industry has inherent conflict of interest in the gun violence debate” …”I have a lot of respect for many gamers – many are on my staff and in my family – but the industry has profited at the expense of children.” source: https://twitter.com/LelandYee/status/294945980271431680 https://twitter.com/LelandYee/status/294946446032109570

12. Stephany Nunneley

@11 Thanks Splatter. Nice “PR work” from him there. :/

The post has been updated.

13. death_489

The problem of violence is in the governments them selfs . if they cant guide people and serving them then they must quit. if the laws they created cant stop them then the law is wrong and must be replaced for another law that actually works for people not to serving interests for small specific people . that’s why we have religion but we must choose the right one to make us live right without harming anyone ..

in other words he should shut the hell up because his thinking contradictory xD

14. NocturnalB

That man standing behind him has an IMMACULATE goatee! All stupidity aside though… oh wait when i set the stupid aside Yee was in the pile!

Man that twitter comment really pissed me off. He’s basically saying “Oh no no i didn’t mean what i said, i just said what a meant. I love you guys please vote for me again when time comes around!”

I’d love to sit OG and this guy in a room together and let OG tell him how it is. Wonder if he’ll still think gamers are just mindless Neanderthals with a “lust for violence”.

15. NeoSquall

@11 The NRA has a bigger conflict of interest in the gun violence debate, yet they seem to have enough credibility to say all the shit they want.

Seems fair.

16. Beta

Expressed myself on his twitter feed, all without resorting to insults or threatening behaviour.

But how is that possible? I should be frothing at the mouth with my ‘Lust for violence’ Not that my opinion is credible because I’m a gamer and should really ‘quiet down’. Ignorant man.

17. namessy

Losing. You get angry over losing to Ganondorf. You go ballistic over losing a call of duty match. lose, losing, lost.

18. Stephany Nunneley

@17 You are correct. Here’s your cookie: http://tinyurl.com/aw3pwym

19. KrazyKraut

so..you know here in Germany, we are showing violent movies or R-Rated movies from 10 pm and later in the TV. What I heard from some ppl, they already watched R-Rated movies in the US from about 10 am….

20. Digital Bamboo

@19 People still watch movies on cable?