Bleszinski on Saint’s Row: “Lose the gimps and dildos” to beat GTA

Friday, 25th January 2013 12:34 GMT By Dave Cook

Ex-Epic designer Cliff Bleszinski has had a rather spectacular spleen-venting episode over on Twitter, in response to the sale of Saint’s Row to Koch Media. Bleszinski suggests that the series could give GTA a run for its money if it loses all of the dildos and immature content it’s known for. The series of tweets is actually pretty bloody spectacular.

Over on Twitter, Bleszinski said this:

Well damn. The point about the perception of our industry based on Saint’s Row: The Third’s ‘dildo sword’ is indeed interesting, but what do you think of what Bleszinski is driving at?

Meanwhile, Bleszinski has been discussing what he might do next while vowing to not pull a ‘Curt Shilling’. We’ve covered it here.

Thanks OXM.

1. Zana

Immature? Oh yeah, like your games, smart guy.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Dragon246

Just let SR guys (Volition) do their own thing.

#2 1 year ago
  3. hives

But the whole absurd thing is the beauty of SR3. Keep it that way.

#3 1 year ago
  4. absolutezero

Make a better selling game but making it more average.

Make it more safe.

Make it more boring.

Excise its soul.

YOU’LL SELL MORE THOUGH! LOADSA EMONE

#4 1 year ago
  5. LuLshuck

I have to some what agree with him, saint row 2 is an amazing game because yes its over the top but it doesnt try hard to be over the top while saints row 3 trys extremely hard to be over the top that its just cringe worthy

#5 1 year ago
  6. happydan

You know what? Dildos and half naked overweight men in pink hotpants, knee high cowboy boots and gimp masks is hilarious. Especially when your friend shows up like that in a co-op game. We were literally in tears from laughing so hard. That’s a bigger reaction than any of CliffyB’s recent games have given me.

#6 1 year ago
  7. desadoc

He gave a practical way to measure if your game is way too immature (or silly) so it becomes a problem when reaching the grand public. His games are immature in a certain degree too, but that didn’t hold them back much.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Ali

I agree with him. The only thing the comes to my mind when someone mentiions the series is the endless attempts of trying to be funny through the whole sexual content the series has. Then again, for many people that’s more than enough to enjoy the game.

Sleeping Dogs on the other hand is my favorite of its genre.

#8 1 year ago
  9. absolutezero

Remember humour is a bad thing in modern game design, you should be aiming for pathos and empathy. Make the main character in SR4 a broken man pushed to the edge. Hot cakes.

That part right at the start of Saints Row 3, the part on the helicopter with Kayne West in the background? That was better than any GTA game since San Andreas.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Gadzooks!

The tweets really aren’t that out there. Quite calm and sensible I’d say.

Personally I loved the dildos. The veins were modelled perfectly, and the face-slappability factor was spot on.

I’d rather SR didn’t lose the fun factor. GTA’s po-faced drudgery bored me shitless frankly. SR3 just rocked from start to mental Martian movie finish.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Blastiel

Cliffy B is just a bitter mofo. Saints Row The Third was the polar opposite of GTA IV, a game which I really didn’t get on with simply because it was dull, dreary and trying to hard to be The Sopranos / Goodfellows. I mean can you have such a thing as a realistic “crime” simulator? lol

The dildo he keeps ranting about is barely there considering you can streak, punch people in the nuts, fire people from a Squid Cannon and rescue Zmos from a horse and pony show! :)

Sleeping Dogs was serious yet “Hollywoody” which made it both serious and fun.

GTA IV you fire your gun once in your apartment and 3 cop cars pull up.

#11 1 year ago
  12. moopid

I think he’s right that Volition could make as good a game as Rockstar, if they really wanted.

But he’s wrong about Saints Row competing with GTA if they did. They simply can’t compete with that brand, their best option is to steer as far away from it as possible.

#12 1 year ago
  13. Hellhound30x

He’s right though… it is “that game with the dildo.”
    at least thats the way I’ve always thought of it….

#13 1 year ago
  14. deathm00n

And I don’t know about you all, but I don’t think that humour is funny at all, it’s plainly stupid (can’t find another word to describe it, something like Family Guy humour). Take now for instance The Cave, that’s a good humour inside a game, it doesn’t try to make you laugh, it simply does.

#14 1 year ago
  15. tmac2011

WHY does everyone put cod in with saints row 3 and my favorite GTA series, WHY!!!???

#15 1 year ago
  16. Stardog

If they remove the dildos from SR then it’s just a worse version of GTA. And a much worse one at that.

It’s better that they try to separate themselves from GTA.

#16 1 year ago
  17. ps3fanboy

IF THEY RUIN SAINTS ROW4 I AIN’T BUYING IT SIMPLE AS THAT.. I DON’T WANT ANOTHER BORING GTA CLONE LIKE SAINTS ROW2 WAS!.. YES I STARTED WITH SAINTS ROW3 THEN TRIED SAINTS ROW2, WHAT A MISTAKE.

#17 1 year ago
  18. NeoSquall

The first 2 Saints Row game were underwhelming because they tried to clone GTA, unsuccessfully, then they steered away from that in Saints Row: The Third and the game suddenly came under the spotlight.

It’s not just about the “dildo sword”, it’s about a rockstar gang stealing a safe room by literally tearing it from the bank, while wearing the costume of one of its members (“Who doesn’t want to be Johnny Gat?”), it’s about skydiving trough a falling plane, it’s about driving inside a gigantic ball of yarn in a crazy marathon of carnage, flattening furry people driving furry cars, it’s about rescuing a pimp in a gimp suit tied to a rickshaw, it’s about punching people in the nuts with a shotgun stock, shooting them with a gun that summons sharks from the concrete, it’s about a S.H.I.E.L.D.-like anti-gang unit with its own helicarrier.

Need I go further?

Shut up CliffyB, you’re drunk.

#18 1 year ago
  19. manamana

@Happydan nailed it. I remember a similar moment while playing at a friends house. Tears, cheers and more tears of laughter. Yeah, its silly but sometimes those games rock.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Takeshi

He has a point. But I don’t think “beating” GTA was ever their intention. They’re obviously pandering to a special kind of humor with Saints Row. Moreover, I think they would need to create a new franchise if they ever wanted to do that.

I personally have no interest in Saints Row. I haven’t tried playing any of the titles despite getting SR2 for free due to PS+. Nothing about the franchise sparks any interest whatsoever compared to Batman: Arkham City and Sleeping Dogs.

Speaking of Koch Media, I just hope they treat 4A Games properly.

#20 1 year ago
  21. theevilaires

I don’t know thats what separates Saints from GTA. They don’t have to beat GTA because they’re kinda different on the same level. I will still buy both games for different reasons. GTA for story and Saints for gameplay (and dildos) ;)

#21 1 year ago
  22. silkvg247

Poor guy, has a wife with no sense of humour.

The dildo made a few people impulse buy the game when they saw it running on my PC at the last iSeries. Sure it’s that game with the dildo, but it’s also SR, a game that is supposed to be “GTA with fun mode: on”.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Vapsyvox

If people buy games because there are dildos in them I wonder if they actually should play games since they clearly have other interests in mind.

Also: Why are people defending the dildobats? They added nothing to the game and probably shouldn’t have been there in the first place. If the developers wanted absurdity and craziness there are lots of better ways to do it.

#23 1 year ago
  24. SlayerGT

@22 She use to work at my GameStop right down the street from my work. She didn’t seem the type to be offended by the likes of Saints Row. I wonder if he was speaking “in general”.

#24 1 year ago
  25. Samoan Spider

You’re talking about the dildo’s and gimp masks. Which marks it out as memorable. There’s plenty of forgettable games, but very few where I was so surprised by how far every mission went to top the last in the ‘what the f*ck’ scales. Plenty of times my missus saw me in the Genki car dressed as the last of the gay ninjas, or beating people senseless with a 3′ dildo and just gave me an odd look and carried on doing whatever she was doing. Nothing to be ashamed of. Good times were had in this game.

#25 1 year ago
  26. freedoms_stain

Volition aren’t (and shouldn’t be, imo) shooting for the GTA audience.

Seriously, I’d rather go cause property damage by spraying shit out of a septic truck than go and play pool with Little Jacob or suffer through that atrocious intoxication mechanic with that fucking annoying cousin character.

#26 1 year ago
  27. mreko3230

We already know what Volitions response is going to be to this for SR4…Bigger Dildos

#27 1 year ago
  28. DSB

Saints Row 3 sold 5 million.

Ain’t broke, don’t fix.

It’s not like you’re gonna beat GTA anyway. That game is sailing on almost two decades of nostalgia. That’s how they got away with making such a boring game last time.

#28 1 year ago
  29. Old MacDonald

They can’t “beat” GTA, so they don’t need to try.

#29 1 year ago
  30. HauntaVirus

^Agreed, nothing more to say.

#30 1 year ago
  31. DuckOfDestiny

Wait, didn’t the fan favorite of the GTA series, San Andreas, also feature dildos, gimps and general immature ‘wackiness’?

And didn’t that game also sell a shit load?

#31 1 year ago
  32. Phoenixblight

San Andreas didn’t have the amount of “wackiness” that Saints Row series had.

THats like comparing the Cabin to the original Scary Movie.

#32 1 year ago
  33. Erthazus

San Andreas had dildo btw, but it was more of an easter egg then a feature.

#33 1 year ago
  34. DSB

San Andreas is kinda where it started to go wrong.

But then it did have planes and car modding and all those sorts of things that really kept the game interesting.

It’s funny how today the games press is all focused on being “correct” and morally superior, when nobody batted an eyelash at all those one dimensional black stereotypes.

#34 1 year ago
  35. godzhand

you know.. i see all you people complaining..trying to justify saints row 3…

saints row 1 was an intense storyline with good actors… about a gang trying to rise to the top against other top gangs… the owner of the gang julius seeking vengence on his ex-best friend benjamin king..which that storyline was completely crushed with the sequels to saints row …
    it jumped from gangster storyline > over the top weird voodoo storyline > over the top fuck the storyline we have dildos now!!

but anyway

cliffyb is fucking right..cliffyb is always fucking right… the creation of gears of war..and its mechanics were amazing..he knows what the fuck hes talking about so stfu…

AND BTW I DONT THINK IVE EVER SEEN ANY OF YOU ON THE SAINTS ROW FORUMS…SO DONT ACT LIKE YOU REALLY GIVE A FUCK ABOUT SAINTS ROW

and volition needs to bring back the multiplayer that was in saints row 1!!!

#35 1 year ago
  36. ItsFade

More Saints Row 2, less Saints Row 3. Saints Row 3 just went full retard, Saints Row 2 bordered perfectly between the line where it was still over the top and down to earth at the same time.

And yes the purple dildo is fucking retarded, Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas did that almost 10 years ago and it was funny for 20 minutes then as it is today and that is about it.

Back to Saints Row 3 I feel they made everything so zany and wacky that doing zany and wacky stuff just felt ordinary. When you did that in Saints Row 2 it was more fun when the world to a certain extent tried to take itself somewhat seriously.

I mean the Saints Row 2 single-player campaign had some messed up shit in it but when you showed up in a clown suit during cut-scenes it became downright hilarious due to the nature of the situation alone.

#36 1 year ago
  37. NeoSquall

@35 I give a fuck about Saints Row as it is now, I just don’t feel the need to go to the forums of every game I play. Or are you one of those “one game, one franchise” guys?

Kids these days…

#37 1 year ago
  38. Stephany Nunneley

Nothing wrong with slapping people around with a dildo in SR3. If I could get away with it in real life without getting beat to death or thrown in jail for it, I would. :D :D :D

#38 1 year ago
  39. evilreverend

Cliff needs to stop trying to fix other peoples’ games (see his comment about RE6) and worry about where and what he’s going to work on next.

#39 1 year ago
  40. manamana

Amen. Always listen to the reverend!

#40 1 year ago
  41. Vice

As someone who can’t stand anything “funny”, like in a fat naked guy in a panda hat and cowboy boots – kind of funny, I absolutely agree with him. Only small minded people will laugh at jokes like this. Well, those can go watch tv, they won’t see any difference.

#41 1 year ago