Tribes: Ascend dev cuts XP cost of unlocks by 50%

Thursday, 24th January 2013 13:36 GMT By Dave Cook

Tribes: Ascend developer Hi-Rez Studios has responded to suggestions from its community that the shooter would be more fun if the XP store’s unlocks weren’t so expensive. The studio has now slashed XP unlock prices by 50% to speed things up a little. Now, if only Marks & Spencers could do the same with its prices we’d all be swimming in posh nosh. No? Just me then.

Over on the Tribes forum, Hi-Rez CEO Todd Harris said, “Effective immediately, we’ve cut all the item XP prices in half.

“No guarantees on how long it will stick. Long enough to measure whether it positively affects the new user experience or not; and also see player feedback on forums/etc. So please do pass along your feedback.”

Rather generous of them isn’t it? Would this encourage you to play Tribes: Ascend more? Let us know below.

Thanks PC Gamer – via Reddit.

1. freedoms_stain

The thing about Tribes when I was playing was that when you start they kept the low ranked players together, and you feel like you’re getting pretty decent at the game, then after a few hours they plonk you in with guys who’ve been at it for hundreds of hours and it becomes a long hard slog to get competitive with those players.

That’s the thing that’s going to put new players off more than anything else.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Erthazus

That’s their problem. this game is fantastic for new players and hardcore. Played a lot of this in 2012. Maybe will come back.

#2 1 year ago
  3. SpinachPuffs

I played over 100 hours of Tribes last summer (according to my Steam stats) but I haven’t touched it since September. Not sure I can face the idea of having to relearn everything again, despite this cut… once you stop, even when it’s only for a few weeks, it takes AGES to get back into your groove.

#3 1 year ago
  4. Da Man

This game is shit. If you would like a cheap Halo clone, suggest trying Section 8 Prejudice.

#4 1 year ago
  5. OlderGamer

I think PlanetSide 2 is pretty good too. But I didn’t think tribes was bad either.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Jerykk

“Halo clone”? Surely that was just a troll attempt, right?

#6 1 year ago
  7. Da Man

#7 1 year ago
  8. Da Man

Also, Tribes have always been low budget and had lame production value, but in this day and age this mediocrity with the old arse name nobody knows slapped on it pretty much has no audience outside of people who spend 25 hours per day between refreshing several tabs in their internet browser and videogames.

#8 1 year ago
  9. xxJPRACERxx

How can this be a “Halo Clone” when Tribes was 1st?

#9 1 year ago
  10. Da Man

Not those Tribes.

#10 1 year ago
  11. Erthazus

Ahh daMan, as always. The guy that don’t know how to play games at all but like to talk bullshit and bias towards crappy game that has no gameplay or substance at all.

“no audience outside of people who spend 25 hours per day between refreshing several tabs in their internet browser and videogames.”

that audience is much better then. It’s much better then 12 year old kids like you that likes to cry in Xbox Live VC:

“Section 8 Prejudice”

console mediocracy without any gameplay at all. When these games will have decent level design and any gameplay no one knows.

P.S. also, you never played Tribes:Ascend anyway. You only surf net on your Xbox via Internet explorer.

#11 1 year ago
  12. freedoms_stain

@Da Man, this is a low effort troll even for you.

At least try at making it look credible, eh?

#12 1 year ago
  13. Gadzooks!

I have it on good authority that when two tribes go to war, a point is all that you can score.

#13 1 year ago
  14. DrDamn

Apparently they can’t score no more, score no more.

#14 1 year ago
  15. Da Man

Ertharage,you’re an insane person.

Face it, you spend the whole faking day refreshing this website’s page (if not playing videogames), continously (>3 years) post fabricated bs and ignore each and every sensible comment.

Tribes is shit, and you’re more of a nutcase than any of the old Ag staff (at least they’re getting payed for their bs).

As for playing anything, if you, crazy little man can post whatever pops into your Naruto induced attempt at a mind without ever touching an Xbox360 doesn’t mean people don’t educate themselves with this shitty games.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Da Man

It be mediocracy, it bad textures.

It just mediocre Halo clone.

If you no play Halo in 2001 it be your problem.

(Not that hard to figure out the rest).

What’s not to like? I’m just trying to be accessible to PC crowd.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Deacon

DM, you’ve lost your touch baby.

#17 1 year ago
  18. Da Man

Nope, I’m on topic.

I never said it should be interesting or funny to you.

#18 1 year ago
  19. Deacon

On topic, but failing as usual. Comparing Halo to Tribes? yeah, ok.

I’d take a thousand Erth’s over your vile existence. At least when he talks he’s actually talking from experience, not some paranoid schizophrenic Hitler-like mindset.

If we were talking about shitty casual XBL or iOS games then I have no doubt you’d be a bit more comfortable with the subject.

Seeing as you hate 99% of games, and likely have never even touched a Tribes game, your ‘take’ on this topic is as worthless as 90% of your posts.

Keep refreshing.. refreshing.. refreshing.. is he annoyed yet?? try refreshing again.. and again.. it’ll come.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Da Man

Really? You mean a typical isolated shizophrenic who likes these ‘Tribes ‘ for the sole reason he was told Halo was inspired by the 90s one and because it’s on PC, posting nothing but the same recycled bs?

Also I like to play videogames, I just don’t like nerds and how you and rest of these guys brought down the level of discussions to N4N.

#20 1 year ago
  21. Da Man

You, DH, remind me of these Squalls1574980, Teh_Dark_One, xXSuper_Sony_SayanxX and the rest of unpleasant visitors to comment sections.

#21 1 year ago
  22. Deacon

Oh woe is me… sorry if my comments have prevented you from the deep and intelligent conversations you are clearly trying to have. Please accept my humble apologies.

I used to play Starsiege Tribes way back in the day. I’m not regurgitating anything. Had I stated ‘Halo is Tribes clone’ then fair enough. They’re just not very similar at all, yet you wade in with your weak trolling bringing up Halo / Final Fantasy / MGS at any given opportunity just to rile a few feathers.

Put your violin away and go check the latest comments. You’re not even half way up to your daily quota yet.

#22 1 year ago
  23. Da Man

I don’t really bring them any more often than you mention Apple, Xbl or Nintendo adverts, DH.

#23 1 year ago
  24. Da Man

Also, why don’t you tell me more about your playtime with ‘Starsiege Tribes’. Since I’m pretty sure you lie about as much as the person I referenced.

While at it, might try explaining why every vehicle from Wraith through Ghost and Banshee are borderline identical, as well as the general BTB?

See, the difference between you and the person I mentioned is the extent of being a sad nerd.

I used to play Wolf3d online in 1980. I’m that hardcore.

#24 1 year ago