Dead Island Riptide: 9-minute gameplay trailer surfaces, hub defence and combat shown

Thursday, 24th January 2013 13:15 GMT By Dave Cook

Dead Island: Riptide has received a 9-minute gameplay trailer from publisher Deep Silver, showing off the game’s new hub defence stand-offs, and plenty of combat in action. We reported on the trailer yesterday, but now we have it right below the fold. Enjoy!

What do you think?

I had a chat with Deep Silver about Dead Island: Riptide’s new features last year – here’s the full interview – and we spoke about the water-logged hazards of new island of Palanai, the game’s save transfer feature, new character John Morgan and the city environment of Henderson.

The game has also been stirring up controversy over an ill-judged ad campaign.

1. freedoms_stain

Either they’re playing that on easy mode or they tweaked the zombie damage. Playing the original DI on normal a single hit does massive damage and this dude is just sponging multiple hits in a row.

2. Dave Cook

@1 it’d be a debug version of the game at this point, so yeah god mode or damage parameters could have been shifted for ease of the demo.

3. manamana

Next up: Dead Island Tower Defense in the Appstore ;-)

4. BULArmy

Yesterday I installed Dead Island Goty after seeing the video. The first time around I got bored by the game after 3-4 hours, but now I am far past were I was the previous time and I must I don’t understand the hate for the game. It is very good game. The mechanics are solid, the game looks good, there are some bugs here and there, the vehicles are very unresponsive, but is not such a big part of the game. I don’t see all the claims that the game is unplayable, maybe, because it is the GOTY edition, but even when I played the original after it was released I didn’t see anything broken with the game.

5. wishdokta

Don’t get the hate, neither.
    Maybe it’s misunderstood as ‘one of those hundred zombie games’. Cause it ain’t.

6. deathm00n

@5 Exactly, I always see it as mix of FPS/RPG/Loot Game/CO-OP. I don’t see why all the hate, and I hope to play this one, even if so far it looks like the same thing.

7. DuckOfDestiny

Maybe I’m in the minority here, but there doesn’t look like there’s enough changed and improvements in this to justify a full price tag.