PS4 – rumored kits have new controller, 4x Dual-Core CPU

Wednesday, 23rd January 2013 17:38 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Another piece regarding PS4 and its rumored specs and controller has gone up on Kotaku, which has culled information on Orbis from a 90-page PDF document included with development kits.

Again, these specs are not confirmed nor are they final, if this is indeed a developer console.

The system at present supports both the Sixaxis and DualShock 3 controllers, but there is a new one in development as well, according to the documents.

Called the “Orbis Development Tool”, at present, it still sports the four face buttons, two thumbsticks and shoulder triggers, but contains a capacitive touch pad similar to the one of the back of Vita. It can discern two-point multi-touch and it can also be “clicked” for use as an additional input button.

It will also contain motion-sensing like previous controllers, but tilt correction has been improved. It also still contains vibration, and an RGB LED light. No mention of “biometric” technology was made in the documents, a feature which was rumored over the weekend.

There is also a “Share” button on the controller which Kotaku figures will allow users to share various gameplay activities via social networking sites or possibly work as a screenshot button.

However, it may have something to do with a change to the way user accounts are managed. With PS4, Sony is supposedly implementing “multi-user simultaneous logins.” This will allow more than one user to log into the console at once, linking the user account to the controller.

As the controller syncs, the player will be logged into the PS4 currently in use. Accounts won’t be “locked” to the controller, instead users will be prompted to sign in their account when an extra controller is detected.

This will make things rather easy when you go to friend’s house, plus, the purported documents claim four can be in use at a time, allowing all co-op players to receive trophies together locally. It’s unknown if this will work using PSN as well.

You can read over the entire thing through Kotaku.

Other rumors regarding PS4 can be found through here.

1. Karooo

Those are dev kit specs. I know it’s nice to report things first but at least read guys :\

#1 1 year ago
  2. Stephany Nunneley

@1 It’s called being busy doing four posts at once and getting a link up for you guys while it’s going on. We have been doing it this way for over a year now, an regulars know that we flesh out the post in the meantime.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Karooo

Ah kk. Cool then.

#3 1 year ago
  4. phoeniks314

great, another rumor about next-gen console specs…somebody shoot me in the head i can’t see this shit any more

#4 1 year ago
  5. KAP

*takes a shot…..of vodka*

#5 1 year ago
  6. OlderGamer

Gonna be a long few months running up to unveilings and release dates.

#6 1 year ago
  7. SlayerGT

@2 Regular here Steph. You’re doing great. Just want to say.

On topic..Im super excited for the next Playstation :)

#7 1 year ago
  8. Pytox

Drinking game, drink a bottle of jack daniels whenever there is a next-gen rumour article on this site! :D

#8 1 year ago
  9. monkeygourmet

Very brave with the new controller change if thats true.

I hate the Dualshock so i’ll be happy if they don’t completly fuck it up.

However, the Dualshock is so iconic, even the silhouette makes people think of the PS brand.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Strange Sultan

But dev-kits are supposed to be tough, I think. Since it well do a lot of rendering and stuff. I think.

I like the biometric stuff though. Imagine the controller going cold when you loose a lot oh health. Or heats up as your machine gun heat, or as you get high combos and stuff.

#10 1 year ago
  11. deathm00n

It would be fun if no one announces a new console this year :D

#11 1 year ago
  12. monkeygourmet

Best drinking game me and a few friends came up with was the ‘Jaw’s drinking game.

You have to watch Jaws and, everytime someone says ‘Shark’ you have to take a shot.

It was fucking awesome, as it starts off really slow… Only a few sharks here and there… Then at the town meeting it all kicks off… Loads of sharks mentioned and shots had!

Gets you just pissed enough that the scene on the boat where Quin is talking and the Indianopolis is really moving!

Man, what a great film!

Try that game if you get a chance! :)

#12 1 year ago
  13. ps4some

8 gig Awesome! !!

#13 1 year ago
  14. JimFear-666

there is too much new about “next gen console” stupid rumor on vg247 :\

#14 1 year ago
  15. monkeygourmet

Sorry about the 4Skin joke yesterday, I thought you were one of PS3Fanboys other troll accounts…

Man can get real jumpy around these parts… :/

Also, 8gig may be because it’s a Dev Kit, they generally double it up.

However if it has 8gig of the DDR5 Memory, that would be pretty fucking sweet.

#15 1 year ago
  16. Stephany Nunneley

Okay. It’s cleaned and organized. Have fun! :)

#16 1 year ago
  17. woe

At least put dev kit specs in the headline..

#17 1 year ago
  18. Eddie Rodrigues

These specs seem “too low” for me. What one could understand from this is : Orbis is PS3.5, it is a new hardware but runs PS3 games and software normally or better. What I understand from this: waste of time. Durango seems more appealing to me, it looks like a bigger jump from the previous console. I really love Sony, I think it is the best Console manufacturer(read as “overall actions from Sony make me think it does a good job and when it doesn’t they fix it”) but they should focus on the Vita. It seems more logical since most gamers are jumping to PC instead of table consoles, although it is evident that consoles still sell greatly.

#18 1 year ago
  19. DeyDoDoughDontDeyDough

Correct me if I’m wrong, but this is a flying fuckload more powerful than the previously proposed specs.

#19 1 year ago
  20. Moonwalker1982

So in short..how would it fare against the new Xbox?

#20 1 year ago
  21. SlayerGT

I predict a tablet style controller in the box with PS3 controller (ds3) and vita support as alternatives. Don’t throw out your DS3′s just yet.

#21 1 year ago
  22. DeyDoDoughDontDeyDough

@20 Who the fuck cares?

#22 1 year ago
  23. monkeygourmet

It’s the best of both worlds for me, Wii U pad is the best i’ve used so far.

You can still play action games easily and having the screen for RPG’s and stuff is awesome.

It would only make sense for Sony to copy Nintendo in this area. (Bait) ;)

#23 1 year ago
  24. Stephany Nunneley

@17 I can only fit so much in the headline – at least it says “kits’ in it. You can read the rest in the post. :/

#24 1 year ago
  25. monkeygourmet

That was a bit un-called for, everyone cares to a point.

They want to know which console to buy, things like that effect their choice.

#25 1 year ago
  26. DeyDoDoughDontDeyDough

@25 Just making a joke. I intend to buy them both. Which I spend more time on is determined by how good the games are. Just hate all these comparisons when we don’t even have any hard facts yet. Seems like we’re sentencing ourselves to another 8 years of idiotic bickering.

Let’s just all be friends.

#26 1 year ago
  27. SlayerGT

@23 I honesty hope I’m wrong. I have no interest in playing games with a tablet controller. But the when I look at the electronics market I see the impact of tablets. It makes sense I just don’t want it. I wouldn’t mind Sony changing my mind. We’ll see.

#27 1 year ago
  28. SlayerGT

Also, “Bulldozer”?? That just sounds badass :D

#28 1 year ago
  29. Phoenixblight

These are dev kits don’t get too excited they are supposed to be slightly more powerful because as the game is being made code,art and the game is not optimized so you need more power to push it.

#29 1 year ago
  30. daytripper

Can’t wait for this and Next Xbox! Hopefully some new I. Ps too :-)

#30 1 year ago
  31. monkeygourmet

It’s really good, honestly! :)

I find it hard to go back to my 360 or PS3 pad now.

The option of both like the Wii U would always be good I think. Tablet pad packed in, but you can also use your Dualshocks to save money buying new pads.

#31 1 year ago
  32. monkeygourmet

Calm down, calm down – disengage scouse accent

which one are you going for first?

Im going MS first then PS4 for exclusives same as last gen! Can’t wait!

#32 1 year ago
  33. ps4some

@15 dude ! You apologised on vg247 ! Nuff respect ! No hard feelings :)

Indeed, just heard from a dev that more memory is normal on dev kits so maybe it is 4GB

#33 1 year ago
  34. monkeygourmet

Of course, but as you work with 3D engines etc…

How about helping us all out and telling us what we could expect performance wise from these speculations.

With some of the specs thrown around, I can’t see the Xbox next running Unreal 4 that well which i kind of thought was the whole point of next gen.

With a mid range PC kind of spec in a closed system, what are we looking at, what do you think of the pad change etc…?

#34 1 year ago
  35. DeyDoDoughDontDeyDough

@32 Yeah, me too; same order.

#35 1 year ago
  36. monkeygourmet

Of course! That was out of order. ;)

Sooooo many alt accounts at the moment.

Im only a dick to ‘die hard’ Sony fan boys who still walk the company line that was proved to be bollocks along time ago (i.e. next gen starts when we say so etc.. etc…).

Anyway, looking forward to checking out the new machine.

My biggest hope is that they don’t bother making a big thing about 4K or 3D. I hope they just stick with awesome looking games in 1080p and 60fps with no screen tear.

I don’t want my PS4 to be a 4K Bluray player too Sony, just leave that feature out and knock £100 off the asking price please.

#36 1 year ago
  37. Phoenixblight

These consoles will play Unreal 4 fine especially since the engine is built with the idea of being flexible enough to play on tablets and mobile devices.

#37 1 year ago
  38. monkeygourmet

What about Unreal 5? :D

#38 1 year ago
  39. Phoenixblight

Seeing as Epic sticks with the same engine for 6+ years it doesn’t really matter does it?

#39 1 year ago
  40. JimFear-666

I dont know if its the same rumour but…

#40 1 year ago
  41. Erthazus

If that’s true, that’s very good for a console devkit, but then dev kit is not the final console.

final console has a weaker hardware.

#41 1 year ago
  42. CyberMarco

@40 So much fail! xD

#42 1 year ago
  43. Gheritt White

@ 41: Actually, it’s the reverse! Pre-launch dev kits tend to be underpowered so that devs are forced to work within the constraints of the new system and don’t go above spec.

You really don’t know * anything*, do you? Graduate, get a bloody job and only *then* spout opinions when they’re not based on utter bullshit, you arrogant fucktard.

Cunt.

#43 1 year ago
  44. Gadzooks!

The system memory will be twice as much as in the retail box, it has to be for debugging. That would match up with rumours of 4 gig, but the video memory is a surprise.

2.2 gigs of video memory is an odd number though, unless that means 2 gig DDR5 and some edram.

News of bulldozer rather than jaguar cores is very significant. Bulldozer are desktop cores. They run rings around the Jaguar laptop cores.

If these specs and the Xbox specs are true then PS4 will be significantly more powerful.

#44 1 year ago
  45. monkeygourmet

Remember though…

The reported Xbox specs were about a year old I think.

It’s like a game of poker at the moment. Carefully leaking stuff without fully confirming your ‘hand’…

Saying that, I do think the PS4 will be more powerful than 720, even though Sony have been burnt like that before.

All the power… It’s almost like they are over compensating for something..?

#45 1 year ago
  46. Erthazus

@43, Gherritt, you are fucking idiot. Shut up. It is you who know nothing.

DEVKITS can’t be underpowered. You stupid uneducated POS because with underpowered dev-kits you won’t know what the system is capable off. Underpowered Dev-kit can only have restrictions.

Who also said it is pre-launch dev-kits? So far information is from Documents.

Shut up please. You are stupid Halo fanboy.

#46 1 year ago
  47. Gheritt White

@ 46: It is I who knows nothing. Right. Jog on, dicklicker – bollocks to writing you a long and detailed response. You’re on the fucking sidelines as a spectator, which is where twats like you belong. Heaven forbid you ever made it into a studio.

#47 1 year ago
  48. Telepathic.Geometry

Don’t even bother replying to the cunts Steph. You enable them.

This controller rumor sounds very interesting to me. I always love new control inputs, which is something only Ninty does reliably. A bit of rear-touching sounds good to me. Er…

#48 1 year ago
  49. Gheritt White

@48: Just checking: *I’m* a cunt, right?

#49 1 year ago
  50. aleschusta

ok guys i’ve read and i know its the dev. kit. But someone who know more than me could explain me two things: 1 – Why are they abandoning CELL, and by abandonig, wouldn’t sony be removing RETROCOMPATIBILITY? 2 – Why they lef NVIDIA? And by the way, SSD are getting cheaper…

#50 1 year ago
  51. Gheritt White

@ 50: It’s to keep the cost of manufacture down. Also, backwards compatibility has never really been a huge selling point.

#51 1 year ago
  52. aleschusta

@51: i know it never been a huge selling point, but i have around 30 PS3 original games, here in Brazil thats worth a fortune (using me only as an example). And the CELL is indeed a powerful processor, wich sony(+ other companies) own, so wouldn’t the price be lower?

#52 1 year ago
  53. Gheritt White

@ 52: If you don’t sell your PS3, then you’ll have all the backwards compatibility you’ll need.

#53 1 year ago
  54. absolutezero

I sure do love discussing the boxes that play my games more than the games themselves.

Get hyped I guess. yay or whatever.

#54 1 year ago
  55. Gheritt White

Oh come *on*, this is the most exciting part of a gen! I literally cannot *wait* for E3! I’ve not been this excited since 2005!

#55 1 year ago
  56. absolutezero

I hate this. I can’t explain all that well but I just detest the entire affair of rumour and bullshit.

Where are the GAMES. Its like people that get worked up over NPD figures. I kinda just want to go away for a little while and hide under a rock.

E3 is going to be hellish this year because so much of the good game news is going to vanish under the barrage of NEXT GENERATION.

#56 1 year ago
  57. Telepathic.Geometry

@49: I dunno, are you? People who say “Hey Steph, just to let you know, there’s a mistake in the title, cheers…” are fine, but these fucking cunts that come in and say shit like “What the fuck Steph, get your shit together, can’t you even get the fucking title right?! JEEZ!” piss me off to no fucking end…

Being NOT a cunt is NOT that difficult.

#57 1 year ago
  58. Telepathic.Geometry

@absolutezero: Come on man, tell me you wouldn’t be interested if it turned out the next xbox came with an oculus rift in the box, and the steambox had quad-core tits sticking out of the side of the controller.

#58 1 year ago
  59. Gheritt White

@57: Dammit, I guess I better work harder at it then. Also, I <3 Steph and the rest of the team here – proper human beings, innit. Makes such a difference. Helps build community, something Pat's done very ably indeed.

#59 1 year ago
  60. DSB

Cheer up absolutezero. There’s always the DMC stories if it all gets too samey.

Not much else than DMC and the console wars, but hey, who needs it?

#60 1 year ago
  61. Telepathic.Geometry

@59: Same here, that’s why it riles me so much when some cunt with an over-developed sense of entitlement shits all over the site.

I think we all do a pretty good job of keeping staffers on their toes whenever there are mistakes or oversights, and they always respond to it, so I feel like a part of the site myself. I don’t wanna lose that…

Anyway, as you were sir.

#61 1 year ago
  62. Gheritt White

@ 61: “Anyway, as you were sir.”

You mean flamebaiting Erthazus? I think he’s had enough for one day, tbh. More’s the pity. I was quite proud of “dicklicker”, not had a chance to use that one in like forever.

#62 1 year ago
  63. Telepathic.Geometry

That is precisely what I meant sir. /proper bow

#63 1 year ago
  64. CPC_RedDawn

Quote: [I][B]“According to the report, the developer kits contain 8GB of system memory, 2.2GB of video memory, a 4x Dual-Core AMD64 “Bulldozer” CPU – which gives it 8 cores, an AMD R10xx GPU,
    a Blue-ray drive, 160GB HDD, and 4x USB 3.0 and 2x Ethernet ports. The audio output is HDMI & Optical, 2.0, 5.1 & 7.1 channels.”[/I][/B]

Now this looks more promising.

8GB system memory, and finally over 2GB of video memory in a console!!! If this is true this will be epic. Finally consoles will have 2k textures and no watered down, washed out, colorless, low res blurry textures.

All to be taken with a pinch of salt though, BRING ON E3!

#64 1 year ago
  65. Telepathic.Geometry

I was under the impression that dev kits were MORE powerful than the console, to allow for unoptimised code to run or some shit like that… Well, we’ll know soon enough I guess.

#65 1 year ago
  66. osric90

Nope… it needs more. If it comes out too son (this year, next year…) it will bring no real change or jump to the current generation.

#66 1 year ago
  67. Phoenixblight

Keep dreaming if this is indeed true which I suspect it is the only thing that will change is the ram and the HD and the removal of some of the ports.

#67 1 year ago
  68. tatsujin

I’m gonna summarize this article up for you guys;

PS4 > XBox 720

Thanks for reading.

#68 1 year ago
  69. Telepathic.Geometry

You aiming for 500 comments in this thread too 達人?

#69 1 year ago
  70. Dragon246

@TG,
    500 aiming was done earlier by you know who here.

@68,
    Looks like that, although if that raises the price above 400$, then its moot and useless.

#70 1 year ago