Dead Space 3 PC to be a no-frills port

Wednesday, 23rd January 2013 03:04 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Dead Space 3′s PC version won’t be bursting with the additional features so beloved of the Master Race.

Visceral Games told games.on.net to expect a straight port, with just a few custom graphics options.

The port will not support DirectX 11, and will not be accompanied by optional high-resolution textures.

There won’t be any graphical enhancements over the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 versions, either, but as both are quite gorgeous to look at that’s not so hard to take.

Dead Space 3 launches on all three platforms in early February. If you pick it up on the same system you played Mass Effect 3 on, you can unlock N7 armour for Isaac and Carver.

1. nani17

Well I know it wot hurt there pocket but I see no reason why I should buy this game day one. Maybe when it’s cheap I might pick it up on pc or on a console.

2. maximuslupus

This, ladies and gentlemen. This is why we can’t have nice things. We’re getting held back by 7+ year old consoles and micro-transactions. This is why I want this year’s E3, Gamescom, TGS, PAX, whatever, to reveal a new generation of consoles, with specs that can at least compete with a high-end computer.

3. roadkill

“as both are quite gorgeous to look at” Yeah right! Lol! Well then, if I ever decide to play this crap I’ll definitely play a cracked version.

4. onetwo27

Oh my …. you lost one pre order. The game looked horrible on the xbox

5. xxJPRACERxx

Well, at least we’ll still be able to play it in 1080p @ 60 fps with good AA and AF.

6. Vice

Alright. I getcha. And I will answer by pirating it. Have a nice day.

7. YoungZer0

As long as it runs good and the controls are well implemented, i don’t see any reason to excuse pirating it. Entitled brats.

It still has Microtransaction though.

8. Samoan Spider

There are a few things coming out this year that I have waited a while to throw my wallet at. But this purchase will happen later when its gone down.

@7 You’re dead on the money with ‘entitled brats’. Pirating is inexcusable and THAT is why we can’t have nice things. This attitude needs to change.

Don’t like it, dont play it.
    Don’t want to pay full retail, then play it in 6 months time at 1/2 price.
    Pirate it and this shite will continue and get worse because they wont invest time to not earn money.

Edit: Just to say the game does ‘look’ good, but that’s subjective and maybe people won’t agree, but it doesn’t look horrible. And besides, why are we still on the whole ‘i wantz moar texturez and stuffs 4 da game else dey is shit!’ when gameplay is suffering as a result in many cases.

9. loki

Dead Space’s PC port sale failed
    Dead Space 2′s PC port sale total failed
    Dead space 3э PC port failure is inevitable.

10. freedoms_stain

Why is anybody surprised? Visceral have been lazy cunts at PC versions since the start of the Dead Space series.

What was their answer to DLC in DS2 on PC? Dump it all into the game whether you want it or not with no way to turn it off, thereby breaking the balance of the game by giving you access to souped up weapons and armour right at the start.

11. Maximum Payne

@10 This.
    They didn’t even want DS2 for PC at begging

12. TheBlackHole

There’s no point investing heavily on PC ports, because the ROI just isn’t there.

13. hyperbaric

I didn’t buy the other two Dead Space games because of mouse acceleration. Seems these clowns don’t learn.

14. Samoan Spider

@12 This! +1

Maybe they wont get away with being so bloody lazy on the next gen as they will be using PC hardware and the investment will not be a gamble for them.

15. absolutezero

Remember that EA is one of only two publishers to charge significantly more for PC versions, the other being Activision.

So asking more for less. Thanks EA!

16. Fin

The hesitancy in porting games to PC isn’t just to do with the difficulty in porting, there’s more than that – in this thread alone, people said they were going to pirate Dead Space 3.
    Not exactly a friendly atmosphere for a developer to come into.

17. absolutezero

Look at the difference between the ports of Borderlands 1 and 2. Now look at the sales for the PC.

It does make a difference. It also leads to far more praise and a customer base thats more inclined to purchase the next release. I thought that would be fairly obvious.

18. Samoan Spider

@16 I realise that there are far more problems involved in porting but I can’t think why they still lock the graphical sliders these days when the engines are pre baked with a lot of extra bells and whistles already in them. This is belligerently choosing not to allow them to those with extra horsepower.

@17 and we need a lot more companies like Gearbox to keep this goodwill alive.

19. roadkill

Fin are you retarded? They are creating this atmosphere. EA is asking us to pirate it.

20. havok585

#8, who the hell u think u are telling others what to buy or what not to buy, what to pirate or what not to pirate? huh?

Geezes freak, the retard level in these posts, amaze me…

21. Fin

You pirate, you’re part of the problem.
    You’re the reason developers don’t put effort into PC ports – “why should we put effort in, people will just pirate it anyway”.

22. absolutezero

Put more effort into a port = Sell more.

Piracy should never be taken into account because theres not a single way to know if the pirate would have ever bought the game had it not been available for free. Jesus this is elementary stuff here, if you provide a better service more people will be willing to pay for it.

23. Samoan Spider

I’m not telling you what to buy or when but I am just saying that you need to expect more of the same if you don’t change. A thought exercise for you: who was in the wrong during the cold war?
    Also an argument is invalid when being a retard is you’re only retort.

24. Es

Piracy aside, you do realise that the same logic applies to the devs as well, don’t you? They keep providing a lousy service, hence, potential customers keep being put off. Whether afterwords they pirate it due to being ‘entitled brats’ or decide to responsibly not pay for it and not play it, is their personal choice. An argument on why piracy is bad could be made if the port in question was excellent and, therefore, customers had nothing to be put off by on the technical side of things, but that’s not the case here. It all comes down to quality of service as #22 pointed out.

25. Samoan Spider

No denying that at all. But if pirating is the way of telling these people you don’t like what they are doing then how are things going to change. Devs and pubs are both guilty of alienating the audience though and they need to up their game like some do already. Im no angel but this knee jerk reaction doesn’t help. I like the dead space series and I will play it anyway but if someone does a bean count and decides not to bother with PC next time. We lose out. We know Big Content makes up piracy costs anyway so why give them an excuse to tarnish us further with out spoken viewpoints condoning piracy as a valid response to poor quality.

26. Es

Agreed, both sides need to start using some common sense. Fortunately, as you said, there are some companies that do and could lead by example. And I’d like to think those acting like spoiled brats are just a vocal minority that shouldn’t be listened to anyway.

27. YoungZer0

@21: You can use the same argument for console games. That’d a dumb argument and as absolutezero points out, there is no way to know.

Anyway, i think pirating started to become more frequent when things like GFWL and DRM were introduced.

28. deathm00n

I pirated since I started playing games in the PS1 era (SNES and Atari 2600 I had all original because you know, I think you can’t pirate that). I grew up pirating, and it was fine. But after my first original game in PS3, I said to myself, never again I will pirate, even with shit like that, I will simpy not play it, it’s easy, there’s plenty more games I can spend my money in. So yes, now I despise pirating and I don’t think there’s excuses to do it.

29. freedoms_stain

The logic that a game developer should put minimal effort into PC versions because potential piracy makes it less worthy of effort is astoundingly poor, as is “buy shit ports, that’ll encourage them to do better in the future.”.

Trust me, if business men think they can take your money while spending less, they will, and gladly.

EA want £39.99 for Dead Space 3, an admitted low effort port that sells as “limited edition” with a handful of low effort in-game items supposedly as the carrot to justify that price and title.

Borderlands 2 retailed at launch for £29.99 with an entire character class as a preorder incentive, Gearbox also made a decent (although imperfect) effort at the PC version. Which product sounds more attractive ignoring personal gaming preferences?

Gabe N famously said that you win pirates with the quality of your service. EA seem to believe the best business model is to squeeze your existing customers instead of trying to win new ones.

30. DSB

I like how people default to eating the publishers preferred narrative without bothering to confirm any of it. As their earnings reports clearly show, a PC version tends to earn as much as one on either console, provided it isn’t packaged with obstructive DRM.

Could it be that some just don’t care about quality, and would rather save a bit of money whereever they can? NO! Surely that’s absurd.

Anyway…

The original Dead Space was an abysmal port as well. The main difficulty in the game was the lag caused by the poor optimization.

31. Vice

I’m just going to put this example here:
    Batman Arkham City — they bothered to actually include DX11 support, tesselation and high res textures. I’ve bought that and I’m happy with my purchase. That’s how you make PC games. We do NOT yiffin’ buy 1000 eu worth PC’s to have same ugly shit as console gamers. That’s not how things work. I’m by far not a rich man, if given a reason, I’d much rather spend money for something else than a shitty half-arsed port, and it’s very easy to find that reason with many games.

Also, Crysis-3 is going to use everything possible technology-wise on PC after they went after consoles and disappointed PC gamers with second game. If that doesn’t proves that PC market IS important and console not as much as everyone seems to think, then I don’t know what does.

32. roadkill

@21 F**k off douche-bag! I don’t like playing cracked games. I like to support developers. I have pirated only 2 games in the last 4 years, 1 because it was overpriced and 1 because I simply didn’t and still don’t have enough money to buy it. But I will grab this s**t and distribute it any way I can (I’m not even going to play it really) just because EA is trying to sell me an inferior product.

edit: @27 Exactly!

33. Meta_Dragon

Wow, how stupid is that? I was going to buy this title too.