Dragon Age 3 is “stunningly beautiful”: dev praises Frostbite 2

Tuesday, 22nd January 2013 08:56 GMT By Dave Cook

Dragon Age 3: Inquisition is looking “stunningly beautiful”, according to BioWare’s Neil Thompson. It’s all thanks to Frostbite 2, the developer says. He also teases that once screenshots start to drop people won’t be disappointed.

Speaking with OXM, Thompson said of Frostbite 2, “Dragon Age: Origins and Dragon Age 2 were both done using BioWare’s own Eclipse engine, and it was starting to creak a little bit when Dragon Age 2 came out. Inquisition is being done on the Frostbite 2 engine and it is an astonishingly powerful engine.

“The Dragon Age artists were always slightly disappointed at how their work was visualised in the final product with Eclipse, but with Frostbite, they’ve just done some amazing stuff. There was a pre-production period where almost on a weekly basis I’d be sitting in the environment reviews and being blown away by what was coming out – it looks stunningly beautiful. So I think when we do start releasing screenshots, people won’t be disappointed.”

Thompson concluded, “Can you make fantasy beautiful in a different way? We think we have something special for Dragon Age 3: Inquisition.”

If you simply can’t wait for Dragon Age 3: Inquisition, check out our gallery of concept art and list of gameplay features here.

Cheers to GAF member Nirolak.

1. Edo

Developers praising their own game and the engine they are using….what madness is this?!

#1 1 year ago
  2. YoungZer0

Although Dragon Age 2 can be pretty much summed up as a failure, i really enjoyed the new art-direction and the combat. It helped the game stand out from all the other Tolkien (Boring) inspired RPG’s.

#2 1 year ago
  3. Erthazus

After DAO 2 I don’t want this game no more, although Frostbyte engine 2 on my PC should look great, Witcher 3 announcement is on the horizon.

So you lost here, again.

#3 1 year ago
  4. GwynbleiddiuM

They praise their own work and show nothing of it. that my friend (Edo) is madness indeed.

#4 1 year ago
  5. abbe

I hope it goes back to more realistic graphics than stylistic graphics…

#5 1 year ago
  6. ps3fanboy

Frostbite2 have been totally shit on this gen consoles. So fan of the game series if there still is anyone left, after the last complete failure. Go buy the game for the PC, that is my advice to you…

#6 1 year ago
  7. Mike W

I have feeling this is coming out for the next generation consoles.

#7 1 year ago
  8. GwynbleiddiuM

@6 And my advise to you is “GTFO”, and I can’t stress that enough.

#8 1 year ago
  9. manamana

@7 +1
    @8 +1

#9 1 year ago
  10. Erthazus

I think it’s for current gen and for the next gen.

#10 1 year ago
  11. roadkill

If he doesn’t have any screenshots to show us then I don’t care. It’s like when a friend tells me that he scored some hottie without showing me video footage.

#11 1 year ago
  12. TheWulf

I completely agree. Dragon Age: Origins was just Tolkien with ‘tude, and I want more from my RPGs. I know BioWare can do better, and I can point at Mass Effect as proof positive of it. Dragon Age II was a little better, and definitely better in the art direction department, but there was still so much more they could do with it.

Dragon Age, to me, still feels forced compared to Mass Effect. With ME it felt more like something they were passionate about doing, but with Dragon Age it always felt kind of wooden, one-dimensional, and flat; like their writers were being reigned in to do something boring to appeal to the masses. I think their writers would be happier with a Torment setting, really. I can’t blame them for that, as it would no doubt make a better game.

I guess what I’m saying is that versus Mass Effect, the people who made Dragon Age, and Dragon Age II to a lesser extent, seem bored of it. Maybe they’ll go in a crazy new direction with DA3. If they don’t, they’ll end up with another bland game. Really, they need to stop letting marketing run things and ask their writers what they want to do.

Seriously. Just grab someone like Patrick Weekes and ask him what his ideal fantasy story would be.

#12 1 year ago
  13. stretch215

I just read in GI that this is next gen.

#13 1 year ago