Dead Space 3′s ‘new’ horror has taken time for players to accept, says producer

Tuesday, 22nd January 2013 11:18 GMT By Dave Cook

Dead Space 3 delivers a new brand of horror when compared to the scare tactics used in Visceral’s previous instalments. As such, the game’s associate producer Yara Khoury has explained that gamers have taken time to get used to the idea behind co-op, John Carver’s hallucinations and the wider expanses of ice planet Tau Volantis. In short, Visceral says it’s still scary.

I played Dead Space 3 last year and I could see where Viceral was coming from with Carver;s mad flashes of psychosis and the dense, near-zero visibility brought on by blizzards. Yet, I just wasn’t scared like I was in the first game. I explained why I felt that way in my following write-up and interview chat with Visceral.

Now, speaking with OXM, Khoury explained that the studio still regards Dead Space 3 to be scary, but that its a new kind of fear.

“I think at this point we’ve mastered the art of doing closet scares,” said Khoury, “you know, necromorphs jumping out of vents, etc – and I think that’s why it will be interesting to go to Tau Volantis – to see how we’ve been able to use the blizzard with its sensory tricks.

“You can’t really see what’s ahead of you, there’s the snow that can, you know, hide some things. There’s also all the noise – the blizzard is actually really loud, and we’ve really played with these things to trick the player and create new kinds of horror.

“The ice planet that worried players at first because it’s an external environment, actually turns out to be one of our allies in terms of creating new ways to scare our players.”

This isn’t a sentiment shared by our own Brenna Hillier, who wrote a piece on why the new Dead Space 3 demo failed to resonate.

Khoury added, “I think when you introduce so much changes you need to let people kind of adjust to everything that you’re showing. And at E3 we introduced so many new things: you know, new enemies, Tau Volantis’ exterior for the first time, cooperative play – it was a lot for players to not be worried about, you know?

“But I think with Gamescom we really brought it home, showcasing everything that makes Dead Space 3 a Dead Space game – horror, claustrophobic tight corridors, etc. I think it just takes a little bit of time for people to understand and accept change when they’re so very much invested in to a product.”

What’s your take on Dead Space 3′s new direction? Let us know below.

1. absolutezero

New Fear.

Better than the old Fear.

Faster the old Fear.

Try New Fear now, its delicious.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Ge0force

My take is I won’t buy it. Dead Space 1 was truly amazing, Dead Space 2 was just another linear horror shooter and Dead Space 3 is just another linear co-op shooter.

#2 1 year ago
  3. manamana

I think what I always said – EA ruined it by “broadening” their (bro)audience. We will see how it’ll turn out but I am not very optimistic on this one.

#3 1 year ago
  4. ps3fanboy

Accept???… HAHAHAHAHAHA! the game makers have ruin a once great game series with putting in action fps gameplay and micro-transactions. I WILL NEVER ACCEPT IT AND BUY IT!

#4 1 year ago
  5. Kabby

It does seem like it’s gone all ‘Gears of Lost Planet’.

#5 1 year ago
  6. Telepathic.Geometry

I think that it will be another instalment in the DS series with high production values, more of the DS story and will be pretty good and have some memorable moments, like DS II did, but I know it won’t be anywhere near as good as that paragon of flawless game design that Dead Space 1 was.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Tearsir

They will never have my money.

#7 1 year ago
  8. mkotechno

The horror of callofdutyze a great IP.

#8 1 year ago
  9. SameeR_Fisher

{{{” Dead Space 3 delivers a new brand of horror when compared to the scare tactics used in Visceral’s previous instalments. “}}}

hmmmmm, where did I hear that before ?!, let me think for a minute…….., aha, it is the same as what Capcom said in regards to Resident Evil 6, and we got the AMAZINGLY GREAT Dramatic Horror Experience –Sarcasm–

I will give Dead Space 3 a chance.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Samoan Spider

I’ll pick it up in a steam sale later on. Not a day 1 for me any more. Shame though as I loved the last games. Also when will they learn that pay to win is not a good direction for the core games like this.

#10 1 year ago
  11. manamana

@9 And thats the point: RE6 is a mess and shouldn’t be called RE, from my point of view. BUT it sold like hot cookies in its first weeks. And that’s what counts according to a company….

#11 1 year ago
  12. gamereck36

I think gamers should take a wait and see stance. Visceral is trying something different and I believe if they receive negative feedback in large numbers from gamers they will return the game back to scare the shit out of you the whole game type of game play like Dead Space 1.

#12 1 year ago
  13. ps3fanboy

the dumb sheep’s have already eaten up the advertisement. so i think it will sell like hot cookies. i see no hope for ds to return to former glory.

#13 1 year ago
  14. SameeR_Fisher

@11: you totally got a point, and I agree, it terms of sales it did just well, but I also like to think that RE is an old series, it is kinda natural for it to sell that well.

yet didn’t RE6 sales suffer after awhile ?!, didn’t Capcom lower their expectations ?!, it got to mean something right ?!

VGChartz -which isn’t the most accurate site, I know- says RE6 sales is around 3.78 Million, a good number, but not RE good, the sales did lower, heck I don’t think it will ever reach RE5 sales which is also according to VGChartz is 8.13 Million, that is due to 2 reasons, 1)Bad release window, 2) the focus more on action/Co-Op.

#14 1 year ago
  15. TheWulf

It’s the cover shooting that was the death-knell for me. Cover shooting is fine in games designed around that, but Dead Space never was. It seems like it’s just being jury-rigged in there for mainstream appeal, but the first Dead Space wasn’t exactly prime mainstream material. It was a little too clever for that.

Perhaps that’s why they’re doing this. Broaden it out to the mainstream by including all mainstream elements in it, and lose what made it so distinctly very Dead Spacy in the first place. Exchanging character for potential money. That’s a damned shame, that is.

I may pick it up in a sale, maybe… but eh. It may be better to just forget it exists, so that I can replay DS1 again instead.

#15 1 year ago
  16. abbe

I think all of you should just go play Dead Space 1 again and realize it really wasn’t that much better or worse than Dead Space 2.

Its pretty meh once you get used to the quakebrown environments with sprinkles of pretty awesome design in audio or encounters, but unlike DS2 it was a NEW experience, which is what you’re really after.

#16 1 year ago
  17. Moonwalker1982

I recently finished DS2 and i honestly don’t see a world of difference between it and the first one. I think it will be alright, this third one. I have faith.

#17 1 year ago