Dead Space 3′s demo does it a disservice

Monday, 21st January 2013 13:03 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Dead Space 3′s demo failed to turn Brenna Hillier into a flailing, shrieking, foul-mouthed crybaby, but Visceral still has its skills.

Visceral hasn’t lost its touch; Dead Space 3′s demo shows just a tiny glimpse of the developer putting the senile old dog of horror through some amazing new tricks.

EA kindly sent me a download code for the Dead Space 3 demo, which will become available to you all this week. When I decided to write an impressions piece, I sparked, momentarily, into genius mode:

Everyone knows I scream at horror and I swear like a sailor while I play video games. I’m going to make an audio log of my experience with the Dead Space 3 demo and post it on VG247. Ha ha this will be amazing. I will win the Internet.

And indeed things started well. Just a few minutes into the file the music takes a very serious turn for the creepy and I nervously exhort Visceral to “fucking just do it already”. When it did, moments later, I fired off three staccato “what the fuck”s at increasing volume and pitch.

But what follows is about fifteen minutes of near silence, interrupted briefly by one exclamation of “well, how the fuck do I kill this thing?”

I wasn’t feeling microphone shy; this is not a syndrome I ever suffer. Dead Space 3′s demo isn’t very scary. And that’s a shame, because by all accounts, the full game is. EA’s first showing of Visceral’s latest focused on the new content, and it very sensibly allowed a later press tour to show the good old mainstays of dark corridors, slow building tension, maze-like maps and crapping your pants when something hurls itself out of the ever-present shadows.

Visceral hasn’t lost its touch in this regard; Dead Space 3′s demo shows just a tiny glimpse of the developer putting the senile old dog of horror through some amazing new tricks. The taster begins with Isaac stumbling through inclement weather, his movements slowed by the ferocious wind and snow, barely able to see through the whiteout. Snow takes the place of shadows; white supplants black; and the effect is just as eerie.

New features include Kinect voice commands.
A terrifying prospect indeed.

The graphics team at Visceral has done an excellent job with that snow. It builds and clears across your vision in a very true-to-life way, swirling in and closing you off from everything in an unpredictable fashion far more scary than blanket fog. Its appearances and disappearances are far from whimsical; the developer demonstrates its immense skill with horror while wielding this latest addition to its cluttered box of shart-inducing tools. When the necros make their first appearance you are permitted to whimper.

But after this it all goes downhill. We only experience the storm and its chilling (ha ha!) effect on exploration for a few minutes, and then we’re hammered by quicktime events, weapon and equipment modding, co-operative multiplayer and arena boss battles. The wonderful weather effects and deeply creepy natural caves are gone, replaced by industrial geometry immediately familiar to series fans.

That’s disappointing because as much as I want Dead Space to keep looking and feeling like Dead Space, Visceral’s skill in putting together a snowy but traditionally tense environment, complete with ravishing graphical effects like low sunshine through a cave mouth, is to be much applauded. It was in this brief opening section, the least visually similar to former Dead Space games, that I felt most as if I were playing Dead Space.

The narrated introduction to the demo makes it clear that new content is the star, and in many ways this makes a good deal of sense. The franchise has to grow its audience in order to succeed and showing off fancy new inclusions is a good way to do that. But for existing series fans it may be disappointing. It may even be a dealbreaker.

If you loved Dead Space and Dead Space 2 I urge you to try the demo when it goes into general release this week. When you’ve played through it once, fire it up again and replay that opening sequence, the short jog along in the snow with almost zero visibility. Focus on this section, and switch off before the rapid-fire showcase of new tricks can assault you again.

The subtle graphical and audio cues and superb timing exhibited in this all-too-brief sequence show Visceral still has it. If Dead Space 3 has more moments like these then I have no doubt it’ll end up in my freezer alongside its precursor.

Dead Space 3 releases on PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 in early February.

1. monkeygourmet

Why do they do this?

We just had Dave sticking up for a bad DMC demo, now this.

I thought the point of the Demo is to draw people in? Not put them off…

2. YoungZer0

The DmC demo wasn’t bad. You just didn’t like it.

3. KrazyKraut

Nah..they lost it forever. I will never forget the disappointment I had when finished DS2. For me Dead Space is…well…dead.

4. deathm00n

@3 Agreed, the first one is the best of the two, I will see this demo, but probably I’ll not like it

5. Dave Cook

@1 correction: I wasn’t sticking up for the demo, that would be biased. I give things the benefit of the doubt until I play the full game, that’s what I do with all games.

6. Clupula

It’s sad because I was really excited for the first one, ever since I read about its making in Game Informer, a year before it came out, and I had paid off Dead Space 2 a month before it ever came out. I even took the time to beat whatever that puzzle/visual novel game was that came out before it.

I loved the Dead Space world. This, however, it looks too much like Lost Planet to bring me in and adding co-op to this just feels so unnecessary. I will be downloading the demo tomorrow when it’s on the PSN and trying it out for myself, sometime between Ninokuni sessions, but this is the first Dead Space I probably won’t day one.

7. Moonwalker1982

But why? I recently finished Dead Space 2 and it was scary enough, or well, maybe not nessecarily incredibly scary but very tense and several scares. I’m using a Turtle Beach headphones and games are crazy that way, especially games like these. DS2 brought some new things, was a bit more action-focused while still keeping plenty of scares. What’s wrong?

As for Dead Space 3. I really enjoyed the demo but it’s indeed not very scary. But then again, i heard the demo for DS1 wasn’t all too good either, and we all know how that game is.

8. Talkar

To me Dead Space has always been about action and not about horror. In fact, i’ve yet to see anything horrific, scary, disturbing or similiar in any of the games. Might be why i’ve never understood when people have listed the franchise as being one of the scariest they’ve ever played x)

9. YoungZer0

To me the franchise always had a lot of disturbing things in it. I mean the developer was really pushing it, but scary? Jump scares are for teenagers, true horror is something completely different.

So i’ll never understand why people complain about how the franchise lost its horror. Can’t lose something you never had to begin with.

10. Erthazus

First game was amazing. There was atmosphere, loneliness, horror, surprises, secrets.

Dead Space 2 on the other hand was a linear action piece of bullshit.

Third game adds co-op and completely destroys loneliness. Now it’s going to be like this: Hey, motherF-BOMB, kill that noob! F Yeah dudebro!

Amnesia: Machine for Pigs is this year’s horror game. Can’t wait for it.

11. monkeygourmet

Im pretty sure you said it was a bad demo Dave? Don’t want to start all this again though! :)

*Edit, sorry you said ‘weak’ demo, still… Not quite doing it’s job to win people over though.

Like I said before, you can’t expect people to shell out £40 just to see if they like it.

12. polygem

only played the first one. was ok but forgetable imho. definitley didn’t make me a fan at all…kinda sad that RE4 is still the untouched survival horror king in my book…what about this sacrilegium (?) game they showed at e3…is this still in the pipeline? sounded good…
    will prolly skip dead space 3 and play alien colonial marines instead. not that it’s survival horror, but at least it has a nostalgic vibe to it, i can shoot xenomorphs and a freakin alien queen…

13. KrazyKraut

Mh..remember the chicken-like monster, which hid behind the crates? that was E-Rated stuff. The story about him, how he built the marker and whatever. Sorry but..all the psycho-terror stuff, all the real scary and suspense stuff GONE. And ofc no interactions with other ppl. A big space station and no other ppl you meet? Lame. DS1 was since Silent Hill 1 the best horror game you could get, but well…its not about 400.000 ppl who like the game, its about 10.000.000 ppl which have to buy it.

14. YoungZer0

@12: You mean this one?

Seems to have new screens.

One things for sure though; they aren’t doing themselves any favor with that kind of female character design.

15. monkeygourmet

Correct to a degree.

It didn’t do anything to change my opinion of the game.

Same with a lot of people, just furthered my reasons to dislike the game.

16. YoungZer0

@15: Sure it didn’t. You probably hated the game the moment you laid eyes on the teaser. All that hate had to be justified. You can’t simply turn around and say you were wrong.

17. polygem

@14: yes that game…it’s the 2 worlds devs? hmmmm. main character doesn’t look good indeed. i mean looks good, i mean…argh i don’t know what i mean. her shirt is too tight.

18. Clupula

@1 – Correct. Dave did admit that the DmC demo was bad when he was defending the full game.

19. Maximum Payne

@14 I open that site and my PC slow down so much like WTF :D

20. Clupula

@7 – The demo for Dead Space 1 was one of the worst demos I’ve ever played. If I hadn’t played the full game first, that demo would have prevented me from ever checking out the series.

21. OlderGamer

Dead Space has always been over rated to begin with, imo ofc.

22. YoungZer0

@17: Yeah, the clothes really don’t sell the idea of an adult horror scenario. More like a teeny slasher.

@19: How old is your computer? :D

@20: Great argument for why you should check out DmC – The FULL Game. Lawl.

23. Maximum Payne

@22 Its gaming PC :D But I don’t know is it avast or some plugin or chrome problem :D

24. YoungZer0

@23: I’m using chrome as well, mid-range PC. No trouble. Using flashblock and adblock plus, if that helps.

25. Moonwalker1982

I’m not someone who would play a game like Amnesia anytime soon, it’s simply too much. When i play a game i want to enjoy it and not always feel uneasy and what not, that’s the kind of game that would definitely do that to me. I recently finished Dead Space 2 and after finishing it i was happy and not ready to start another horror game just yet.

Maybe it’s just me, but thanks to the atmosphere, ambience and tense music i also feel tense and never really at ease, and yes i had that with Dead Space 2 too. The jump scares are intensified with headphones on, trust me. I felt DS2 had enough of that, aside from location and few more action parts it felt very similar to the first one. That’s why i don’t get the hate.

26. Clupula

@22 – Actually, your argument then basically says if a game has a shitty demo, I should rush and buy it immediately because the full game will be better.

Some good games having bad demos does not mean bad demo equals good game.

27. Clupula

Myself, I’d love to play Amnesia, but I’m not a PC gamer. If there was a console version, I’d be all over it.

28. YoungZer0

@26: I never said that.

Anyway, how would you know if you never tried out the full game?

29. monkeygourmet

What are you even talking about?

Im not even a huge DMC fan. The new DMC however has to be one of the most obnoxious piece’s of shit I have ever come across.

Pandering to a demographic created by suits.

30. monkeygourmet

By that ‘logic’ you should try every game just in case it’s better than you thought?

Im all up for giving things a try, thats what they create a demo for, to try and leave you wanting more.

31. Clupula

@29 – He can’t seem to accept that some people may have actually not liked the demo.

Since it’s obviously completely impossible for a demo to change someone’s mind about a game. I’d say that there were several games I can think of that I thought were going to suck but the demos were good enough that I changed my mind and bought them day one, but that’s obviously impossible, since we only dislike DmC because of a personal bias.

32. Erthazus

New DMC is pathetic. Especially the ending.

VORGUL: DA DEMONZ R DED
    DONTE&KAT: YAY
    VORGUL:NOW I BECOME AN EVUL NEFOLOOM FER NO RAISEN
    DONTE: NOW I FITE U
    KAT: DUN KILL HIM DONTE WE NEEDZ HIM FUR SEQUL
    DONTE: KAY I LETZ U GO
    VORGUL: I LUVED U BRO

Copy pasted this. Funny :D

33. monkeygourmet

That is about the sound of it.

Now Brenna will get another 500 article because of DMC! I think she should get a tattoo of Dante if this article goes over 500! ;)

34. Clupula

@32 – That actually legitimately made me laugh out loud.

35. Pytox

Not really liked the DS3 demo as well, especially shooting necromorphs didn’t move at all :x and made it less scary sadly. Also they should’ve showed something new instead of the e3 demo. Hopefully a bad demo doesn’t mean the game is bad

36. monkeygourmet

Okay, little show of hands from people put off by the demo?

Has it changed your opinion or answered any worries you had regarding this games new direction?

37. Clupula

@36 – I’ll know when it goes up on the PSN tomorrow. I’m cautious about it, but I’m hoping it’ll change my mind somehow.

38. YoungZer0

@32: I think i lost some braincells just by reading that post. You should spend less time on /b/.

@29: “Pandering to a demographic created by suits.”

Yeah, that’s definitely not the case.

“The new DMC however has to be one of the most obnoxious piece’s of shit”

So angry. Anyway, what makes you say that?

“If you want in on that, fine. Just be careful as the more that kind of shit sells, the more you’ll see other games tainted by marketing ‘cool’ aswell.”

More games with an outstanding art-direction, fluid and fun gameplay and a storyline that actually matters? That sounds terrible, you are so right!

@30: Yes, why not? I rented a shitload of games just because someone recommended them to me. Some of those games had very dissatisfying demos, like Spec Ops: The Line for example, which i still think is one of the best games of 2012.

39. monkeygourmet

Me too, i’ll check it out before I give my opinion.

I don’t want to be shouted at! ;)

40. monkeygourmet

Basically the same reasons a lot of other people hate the style of game.

Can’t be arsed to go into huge detail, everythings been said about a thousand times.

I hated: music, voice acting, shitty ‘edgy’ Dante, found combat dull, still found platforming fucking awful, trying to hard to be ‘cool’ etc…

It was like they put a load of buzz words in a hat, then drew them out and made the game in that way.

Also, it wasn’t a fucking re-boot. It was a re-skin.

Thats why I think alot of people were pissed, at least if they had had the balls to take it in another direction i’d have more respect.

They could have tried a more open world style setting, more interactive environments etc… But they couldn’t be arsed. Hey it wouldn’t have been DMC as you know it, but at least you could say they tried.

41. YoungZer0

@40: Nothing ‘edgy’ about the new Dante, to be honest. He may be a dick at the beginning, but unlike Dante from the previous games, he gives up some of his ‘coolness’ and becomes someone we could actually relate to. I like him a lot more than old-Dante.

And i never thought the game was trying to be ‘cool’. Definitely not more than the previous games. In fact i think NT took a lot of that out of their game.

Now you’re complaining about not enough change? New story, better characters, new music, better art-direction, new fighting system, new level design, new enemies. I think that’s enough to warrant a REBOOT sticker.

I actually agree that an open world DmC sounds interesting (although i have no idea how that would work, kind of like Arkham City maybe?), but i think it would actually limit their imagination. The levels in DmC are as deserve and refreshing as it gets. The secret world for example. Damn fine piece of art. Caught me just walking around the level, enjoying the view.

Can’t wait for the PC Version, so i can finally make some wallpapers.

42. SplatteredHouse

My favourite piece of Dead Space, so far (although I haven’t seen the animes/read the novels yet, admittedly) is the comic 6 issue mini-series, with Ben Templesmith on art (they also released an animated version for free online).

I realised that much like a lot of sci-fi makes for a focus, the things that I most followed were the characters, and the situation. The way that they have the markers, Unitology cult, and the way that these elements influence the world and people of the series. There’s a good deal of unknown interesting potential and interest around the games…But, what the hey! Let’s just run about and shoot off guns as if that’s more important.

As I started DS2, again, I was most interested in the characters, and locations. I do rate the Necromorph idea, and designs. Unnatural, horrific, definitely alien! To tie the point back in to games, though…I think they’re making a big mistake if they shift Dead Space into an action-dedicated game.

43. monkeygourmet

If they would have done more, it would have split the fan base.

Thing is;

If they had gone onto new territory (yes something like Arkham City or whatever), they could have always gone back to the traditional style later.

This just feels like the old Dante is never coming back, and I can understand why some people are pissed off.

Still, who am I to say anything, it’s No. 1 in the charts, so I guess that shows you what people want. (I wonder how many people who bought it are over 13?)

44. YoungZer0

“If they would have done more, it would have split the fan base.

Thing is;

they did actually split the fanbase with this title, you were still with an end product that pissed people off.”

So … mission accomplished?

“This just feels like the old Dante is never coming back”

Hopefully.

“It’s too similar for Capcom to go, hey guys, we’ll create a more traditional game. And that was a mistake IMO, feels like they burnt a bridge there.”

Hopefully.

“It’s happening all the time at the moment, things noone ever asked for are being changed by ‘suits’ to try and get more cash or create a new market.”

I still don’t see how the new DmC has anything to do with that. It’s not like this is Syndicate.

“You must be blind if you can’t see all the remakes and shit their putting out at the moment (games & films).”

You mean like X-COM and The Dark Knight Trilogy?

“I wonder how many people who bought it are over 13?”

Probably less than the previous games, as most 13 years olds seem to be fans of the older DMC titles. At least i hope so, otherwise that would mean that people above the age 13 were the ones who wrote “Faggot” and “FUCK YOU!” under all those DmC Videos on Youtube.

45. mobiugearskin

“why do developers do this?”

Errrrr… Because DS2 was critically acclaimed (moreso than the first) and sold about… Was it twice as many copies?

That be why.

46. Clupula

The thing I keep thinking with DmC is how safe it is, when it really comes down to it. Let’s take someone who corporate suits think will appeal to teenagers and retell DMC1 & 3 with him in the lead.

What would have been really brave would have been something like discovering in the last couple hours of the game that there were no demons and that it’s all just in his paranoid schizophrenic head. He really did kill a pregnant woman, he really did shoot up a bank, he really is just an asshole knocking soda cans out of kids hands. Since the fanbase already disliked him, why not go all the way with it? And make the character the bad guy. Hell, make it so Vergil isn’t even a real person and his name isn’t even really Dante. He’s just a messed up kid with delusions of grandeur whose hallucinations made him think he’s some sort of hero, when in reality, he’s a murdering scumbag.

47. Clupula

It would also explain why a 10,000 year old demon would be yelling “fuck you” at someone, because that’s the type of thing only an asshole teenager with mental issues would come up with.

The last boss could be the only person in his life who really cares, but who he sees during the battle as some big evil demon.

48. YoungZer0

@46: Dante didn’t shoot the pregnant demon whore. And your idea of bold would piss off even more fans.

This is the new DmC. Live with it.

49. OmegaSlayer

Brenna can’t even understand what a turd is (DmC) so her opinions matters as much as used toilet paper.

50. Clupula

Well, my point is that there was no reason to reboot it in the first place, but if you’re going to reboot it, might as well have some balls about it.

And no, he doesn’t shoot the pregnant woman. Vergil does. But if Vergil doesn’t exist, then Vergil was just an excuse Dante created in his mind to abdicate responsibility for his own sins.

51. GilliamYaeger

@50 So Vergil could have been Tyler Durden?

That would have been a legit interesting twist. But no, instead we got the blandest, most plagiaristic story in recent memory.

Its a damned shame that Ninja Theory didn’t stick to their guns and do something different and unique, rather than doing a 180 to pander to their angry former fanbase after the initial reaction. Especially when Tameem said that he didn’t care about the fan reaction.

52. Clupula

@51 – Exactly. I would have been preferred they had gone with a DMC5, but if they had to do a reboot, then they should’ve have just been completely brave about it.

Imagine how tragic that last boss battle I mentioned would be. Even people like me who hated the demo would have been willing to give the game a try after all the talk about the big twist towards the end.

53. mobiugearskin

Why are you polluting this talkback with terrible ideas about a different game?

And anyway… DmC ending… There is no “go evil” about it. He explains his reasoning quite clearly. And its an intelligent way to cement his character. To quote the man himself, “dont be so simplistic”.

54. Clupula

@54 – Don’t you have leaderboards to be checking out?

55. absolutezero

Vergil wears a fedora.

A fedora.

hhmmm wait this article is about something else is’nt it. Dead Space 3 looks terrible. This demo was terrible, the full terrible demo will be in the full game. That means a sizable portion of the game will be terrible. I somehow doubt the quality of the rest of the title is going to be enough to blot out having to have foot high wall shoot outs with shouting human enemies.

56. mobiugearskin

On what planet is anything in there “terrible”?

Honestly, comments sections should be removed from the internet. The tabloid levels of hyperbolic retardation is literally causing me PHYSICAL PAIN.

57. Clupula

@58 – If you’re in such pain, then go away. Rub some ointment on your butthurt and go back to gluing collages of Tameem and yourself to your bathroom mirror.

58. absolutezero

Lets see whats terrible. The lack of tension, the lack of darkness, the lack of ammo types, weapon creation, giant enemy akrid, the huge stupid drill.

THE HUGE STUPID DRILL.

Human enemies shouting rubbish at Issac like generic merc enemies from any other third person shooter.

ELLIE ELLIE ELLIE ELLLLLLLLLIE

JASON

If you choose to play it by yourself you miss a large chunk of character and story related to a game world that you might have possibly grown to like.

As soon as you start playing a horror game with either an audience OR in co-op you cease feeling any sort of tension or fear and start laughing instead.

Issac has gone from an unlucky engineer to a direct threat to the galaxy wide religion that is Unitology.

It looks tired and bland.

59. GilliamYaeger

@58 Why are you telling yourself to get some ointment

60. YoungZer0

@50: Yeah, yeah, still would’ve pissed more people off. And i still think this reboot was more than necessary. DMC 4 was just a bad, bad game and clearly showed us that CAPCOM has no idea where to go with the franchise, so they gave it to a superior developer, instead of doing another Resident Evil 6.

61. YoungZer0

@51: He didn’t. But he still had to listen to Capcom. And they aren’t interested in just one DmC. Your story as much as it is predictable doesn’t allow for a sequel.

62. GilliamYaeger

@62 “Doesn’t allow for a sequel”? The hell are you smoking?

A sequel could have some serious Prince of Persia: The Twin Thrones vibes, swapping between Dante and Vergil as the game goes on as they fight for control over the body, and eventually allowing swapping mid-combat for some truly crazy combos.

63. GilliamYaeger

@61 DMC4 was by no means bad, at all. It is objectively the deepest action game available today. The ONLY problems it has are the level reusing and Nero only getting one weapon and thus having a limited moveset compared to Dante, both of which are results of Capcom cutting dev time short in order to capitalize on the lack of good action games on the current-gen consoles. Everything other than that was flawless – and a fifth Devil May Cry game would have been perfect, since they had no need to rework the combat system at all (Other than adding new weapons, of course) and could thus focus 100% on level design.

Furthermore, the game’s sales were by no means indicative of a dead franchise – after all, DmC’s only sold a third of DMC4′s day one sales, and the DMC franchise is Capcom’s fifth biggest moneymaker (Behind only Monster Hunter, Street Fighter, Megaman and Resident Evil, all of which have oodles more games than the DMC franchise does. Like, 40-something compared to about 6.)

64. YoungZer0

@63: If you want to get involved in an ongoing conversation, the least you could do is trace it back to understand what the hell we’re talking about.

65. GilliamYaeger

@65 Are you replying to yourself?

66. YoungZer0

@66: What do you mean?

67. Clupula

@60 – Claymation.

68. Clupula

@63 – that’s actually a really interesting idea.

69. ariessiren

im going to wait on this. i dont like the co op focus. while i play single player mainly, what irritated me was that in co op, you see alot more of the story and events/visions that you cant see in single player. it doesnt allow you to play as the other character in single player so your essentially missing out on alot because it is, in reality, a 2 player game. if it did it like resident evil 2, where you could play both players campaigns like claire and leon, total day one buy. at least i know i can see everything.
    but knowing your missing out on content in single player is not cool. your forcing the player to play co op to see everything and get the full experience. ill wait for 19.99 sale/greatest hits version.

70. manamana

I’m still not convinced, Brenna. A single sequence where Visceral still has ‘it’, says nothing about the whole game has lost ‘it’. And the way I see ‘it’, EA has ruined ‘it’!

71. Telepathic.Geometry

@Brenna: I liked this “…shart-inducing…” XD

72. Clupula

You know, I didn’t hate the demo. I actually really, really liked the drill part.

What I worry about is the shootouts. They only lasted less than 10 seconds in the demo, which is fine, but I get the feeling the full game will have actual several minute-long cover-based shootouts, which is NOT what I play Dead Space for.

The co-op was actually also pretty fun, but my friend was quiet most of the time, which is how it should be in a game like this.

73. Telepathic.Geometry