Blizzard’s Rob Pardo defends Jay Wilson on Diablo 3 forums

Monday, 21st January 2013 15:05 GMT By Nick Akerman

Blizzard chief creative officer Rob Pardo has told Diablo 3 players to stop blaming Jay Wilson for the game’s troubles. This comes after the former game director saw his farewell post overrun with disgruntled comments.

“This thread saddens me greatly,” announced Pardo after 106 pages of discussion.

“I know that the Battle.net forums have earned a reputation for rough justice, but I do not believe justice is being served by how people are speaking about Jay’s departure from Diablo III.”

Despite being proud of his team’s efforts, Pardo recognises Blizzard has a long way to go before fans will be satisfied.

“I have enjoyed the game and played for many, many nights with friends and family. I’m not, however, going to use that as an excuse. The Diablo community deserves an even better game from Blizzard and we are committed to improving it.”

“We have a talented team in place and have no intention of stopping work on Diablo III until it is the best game in the franchise,” he added.

Pardo then defended Wilson, calling the designer “one of the best.”

“I hired Jay to head up the Diablo project and had the pleasure of getting to work with him, both in building the team and designing the game. He has great design instincts and has added so much to the franchise.”

“I’ve worked with many, many designers at Blizzard and Jay is one of the best. He has a great career at Blizzard ahead of him and I guarantee that you will enjoy Jay’s game designs in future Blizzard games.”

Thanks, Eurogamer.

1. Erthazus

Blizzard, you lost your touch. HOTS looks already not really that good.

I hope that Blizzard’s 2013 blizzcon will be amazing for Diablo III and maybe we will see Titan.

#1 1 year ago
  2. Hirmetrium

HOTS really does look to be struggling. I don’t know what they are doing with the multiplayer besides getting lost in their own heads.

They should of overhauled the game just like Frozen Throne did for Warcraft 3. I enjoyed TFT far more than ROC, and I’m sure I’m not alone in that.

I’m hoping the Single player is something special however, and as brilliant as WoL’s is. I genuinely enjoyed it, and I think Jim Raynor is a great character (no matter how cliche the plot is).

I’m hoping he remains a badass in this game, and not some bitch whining “SARAH, OMFG, SARAH” constantly (like he does in the trailer). Also wouldn’t mind having a mission or two as his Raiders.

#2 1 year ago
  3. YoungZer0

“and maybe we will see Titan”

Good luck with that buddy. :D

#3 1 year ago
  4. TheWulf

The URL is broken, here it is for anyone curious: Man that’s a lot of hate for Diablo III. It’s weird to see a near Universal anti-Blizzard consensus on Battle.net, as to be honest? I don’t believe I’ve ever seen such a thing.

#4 1 year ago
  5. Fin

Gamers are cunts.

#5 1 year ago
  6. noherczeg

#4 People have opened their eyes and brains for reason.

#3 QFT

Blizzard is the most disappointing company of them all in my eyes. Why? Let’s see

What Blizzard is:
    - RICH
    - big
    - SLOW

What Blizzard isn’t:
    - aware of their community
    - sane
    - reasonable

And the list may continue if I wouldn’t be this lazy :P

They have 3 of a few best selling titles, they have insane amounts of money from WoW, yet what they do is they lie, they trick their fans, and ignore them. What they have achieved with WoW and Diablo is that they killed the essence of them. The very nature which those became famous of. I can’t speak of SC2 since I’ve never played it.

#6 1 year ago
  7. Sini

Also, Pardo, you and Metzen are part of the problem as well :( It’s like the talent left Blizzard and you lot stayed behind.

#7 1 year ago
  8. Fin

I’d like to see the playtime of the people bitching about Diablo 3.

“Diablo 3 sucks and I hate it”
    -1500 hours played

#8 1 year ago
  9. YoungZer0

The least they could do is buy Torchlight 2. But they rather bitch than play a game that actually delivers what they are asking for. If all the people bitching about Diablo 3, would buy Torchlight 2 tomorrow, it would probably sell a little over 8 million copies.

#9 1 year ago
  10. Phoenixblight

Its not the same though. I am sure the people that wanted Diablo 2 would enjoy it maybe but the art style is quite childish and too bright with colors.

#10 1 year ago
  11. YoungZer0

@10: Yeah, i can see that. The artstyle is one of the things that i do not like about the game, but damn the gameplay is fun.

#11 1 year ago
  12. DSB

Personally I was looking for something that took the genre forward, and neither of those games do that.

I have a hard time accepting that an ARPG is purely about mindlessly slaughtering huge groups without much in the way of style, skill or purpose.

Surely there’s someone out there who wants to do a bit more than that? If I want to play a game with the sensibilities and mechanics of the late 90′s, I’ll stick with the originals.

#12 1 year ago
  13. taylorlauder

Way back on 2008, Blizzard revealed a preview for Diablo 3 and it looks really amazing: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEvThjiE038

This shows Blizz has the capability to bring back the glory that was D2, perhaps, through an expansion with a redesigned layout for Diablo 3.

#13 1 year ago