GTA 5 PC listed for pre-order on Amazon France

Saturday, 19th January 2013 20:56 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

GTA 5 is listed for pre-order on Amazon France for PC.

While it could be a mistake on the retailer’s part, the French arm of the online store has a history of being leakier than an 80 year old faucet.

Take it with a grain of salt for now while we mail Rockstar on the matter.

Meanwhile, the PC petition has reached 142,246 signatures, so maybe the developer has taken the community’s desire to heart.

GTA 5 is set for a northern spring release on PS3 and Xbox 360, and to be fair, Rockstar boss Dan Houser hasn’t ruled out other platforms. So you never know.

Thanks, Talkar.

1. Eddie Rodrigues

It truly is a miracle! That is, if Rockstar make a good PC port (GTA IV needs mods to make it look excellent)

2. Phoenixblight

@GTA IV looks good without any mods and the fact that is stable is the entire reason why I don’t bother with that mod because it isn’t optimized and also makes my comp run at unnecessary amount of heat for such an improvement.

3. Hcw87

It’ll come out half a year after the console versions, just like GTAIV did. If it was releasing on PC the same time as consoles, it would say so in the trailers. They just haven’t pinned down a clear release date for PC yet.

4. Eddie Rodrigues

@2 Don’t get me wrong, I truly love GTA IV and the graphical quality at the released time was brilliant! But in PC standards it was a true bust, games released in the platform before were true beauty (Gothic 3 is a good example). Consoles at that time were hard to work with, that said, PS3 version has more bloom while 360 version has more contrast, but both had a short range of view (objects vanished a half dozen blocks foward). PC is ‘easier’ and PC gamers expected it to work better but…

5. TMRNetShark

I will be utterly baffled when they finally start making PC ports that work well. We can make a PS2 game (GTA: Vice city) work on a phone… why can’t we make a ps3/xbox 360 game work on PCs that are at least 6 years of newer technology.

6. Eddie Rodrigues

@5 This comment is brilliant, but then again, at that time Rockstar was trying new tech, today they are pros at it, as you said, they made PS2 games work on phones! :D

7. Edo

I concur that GTA IV on PC is stable after dozen or so patches.

8. ItsFade

I feel the matter of a Grand Theft Auto V PC port is not so much a matter of if but rather when, I have no doubt what so ever that we will see a PC port of Grand Theft Auto V.

9. tmac2011

please please make it work with windows 7!!!!

10. Mike W

Yea I got screwed buying GTA 4 for the PC :(

11. deadstoned

I know it may be a mistake for now, as they’ll probably announce a PC version at console launch, but… Pre-order, pre-order, pre-order, pre-order, pre-order, pre-order, pre-order, pre-order, pre-order, pre-order, pre-order!

12. DuckOfDestiny

@5 Max Payne 3 was a good port wasn’t it?

13. Moonwalker1982

This isn’t confirmation of anything though. Happened in the past several times that Amazon just puts stuff on their site for the fuck of it…

14. nani17

I think the problem lies with the Devs and not the pc itself. They seem to have a problem with it. I’ve had games that were ports and done really well and had no issues and others the were unplayable until patched.

It happens the other way as well i heard skyrim had major issues on the consoles i also hear walking dead has major issues on the consoles with freezing which was posted on this site. Like i said it’s pretty much comes down to if they are good devs lol

15. Christopher Jack

I think Rockstar’s concern has always been piracy. I could just about guarantee a PC version but I’m not sure if it’s in Rockstar’s best interest to release it alongside PS3 & Xbox 360- they may not even announce a PC version until a month or two after it’s been on sale- perhaps even longer. L.A. Noire didn’t come out on PC until 6 months after the console releases, I expect the same thing to happen again.

16. DreamCleaver

@15 That kind of behavior won’t curb piracy. In fact, I think it would increase. Why would I want to support a company that systematically down-prioritizes my platform of choice? A company that regards me as a lesser being? With that in mind, it’s not hard to imagine one turning to piracy.

Of course, this is not everyone’s thought process.

17. Christopher Jack

@16, Well that’s why they’re not upfront with their reasoning. If it were to curb piracy- of course every idiot is going to wait & pirate it out of spite.

18. DreamCleaver

@17 Quite true.

19. AmiralPatate

I just can’t see how Rockstar wouldn’t make a PC version of GTA.

20. DSB

Why would they worry about piracy? A PC port is perfectly capable of selling as much if not more than either of the console versions.

I think it has more to do with the fact that there’s a lot more things that can and do go wrong with a PC port, and so it needs more tweaking.

Of course it’s still puzzling why this isn’t accounted for by some publishers, but I guess it comes down to pushing games out as fast as possible without any downtime.

@12 Surprisingly so, considering Rockstars previous efforts.

21. Cobra951

@16: They’re not trying to curb piracy through some sort of politics. Their approach is strictly pragmatic. They are avoiding the most piracy-prone platform initially, to reap as much profit as possible up front. After the console sales level off, then they’ll take their chances on the free-for-all PC.

22. HauntaVirus

I was stunned by how well Max Payne 3 looks and runs on PC, hoping for more of the same in GTAV.

23. Sadismek

Max Payne 3 was Rockstar’s best attempt at a port this generation. I ran it smoothly at medium with my 4 year old rig, which was quite surprising, given that GTA IV still chugs a little bit when I go with high settings.

I can only hope Rockstar will apply what they’ve learned with Max Payne 3 in terms of ports with GTA V.

24. Ellierys

It’s just listed as a pre-order for PC on Amazon France since November 6th… As this french website points it. So there’s nothing new.

25. eVideoJuegos_es

Amazon.de offers the possibility of preorder PC’s edition also

26. Christopher Jack

@21, That’s what I meant.

27. xxJPRACERxx

It’s true the port of GTA IV was sub-optimal at release but even then that was still much better than the console version which was running at sub-HD resolution @ ~20 fps and with very short draw distance and that “Vaseline” filter. Current version work flawlessly, just like Max Payne 3.

Also, even on consoles GTA IV was running like shit. The port team was responsible to port the game to PC, not re-writing the entire engine code from scratch. Shit in -> shit out. I think we’re lucky to have a version that is running so smoothly now. After RDR and now Max Payne it’s clear R* optimize and clean up the code so I see no reason why GTA V should run badly.

28. DreamCleaver

@21 Most likely, yeah. The thought occurred to me as well. If they indeed delay it, I’m gonna wait for a good deal: at least 33% off.

And paying full retail price for a digital product is just a rip off, anyway, as it costs so much less to distribute.

29. Zarckan

Well since the console versions are due into certification in early March who knows.