Sony sells US headquarters for $1.1 billion

Friday, 18th January 2013 10:13 GMT By Nick Akerman

Sony has agreed to sell its US headquarters for $1.1 billion, according to Bloomberg.

Real estate agent Cherit Group have dropped a megaton of money on the base that climbs 37-stories New York’s skyline. Sony expects the sale to regenerate $770 million in net cash after repaying debts; a positive sign after posting a record loss of £3.6 billion last year.

“Given the opportunities and challenges in the current economic and real estate landscape, selling 550 Madison now is a timely and logical strategic move,” commented Sony corp. of America president, Nicole Seligman.

“Regarding our new headquarters, we continue to look at a number of spaces in Manhattan but have not yet made a decision about where to lease.”

1. viralshag

Probably to help pay for the PS4′s R&D or something…

;)

2. Maximum Payne

@1 Nope , to buy more ram obviously.

3. manamana

Gekidami holds an option. For shure.

4. woe

They also sold a building back in 2008 for bargain price and have another one up for sale in Tokyo.

5. ps3fanboy

Nicole Seligman can also sell his socks on ebay so we are 100% to get that extra ram..

6. Gadzooks!

Wow. They really are in great shape. Just peachy. Yessiree.

7. Erthazus

As I said before. Sony is in deep shit.

It’s the next THQ. If Sony won’t do something next gen, they will die like THQ. inFamous, shitty Killzone won’t save them from total destruction. PS4 must be at the level of PS1 or PS2 success.

But hey, maybe PS4 will have 5 or 6 GB of ram this time with decent videocard after selling US headquarters.

80% that I won’t buy PS4 next gen because Sony dissapointed me with PS3 and especially Vita that has No games at all.

P.S. they want to sell Sony Pictures too btw. Oh Sony.

8. killersense

lmao some of you need to do some research before posting jeez. they are not doing great which is for sure but some of you are in the illusion they are on the verge of bankruptcy or going under which is just not true. there is a very long way to go before they even come close to thq levels. ps4 AND ps5 need to be massive failures beyond imagination for that to happen. they have sony pictures which is profitable. ps3 has been profitable since the slim has come out. now they are making a bigger profit from each unit since the new redesign. their camera business is doing good. mobile phones sell very well outside US. the one major thing holding them down is their tvs and they have cut down the number of tvs they offered the past year from like 100 to 25 or something not sure of the numbers . they are building on profitable sides and cutting the fat. they are on track for comeback unless they screw up on multiple levels.

^BTW kaz confirmed they are not selling sony pictures yesterday. he reaffirmed he is not even considering selling one of his profitable divisions

9. Dragon246

So uh, many money do you have guys? :D

Jokes aside, it obviously shows they aren’t in the mood to take in any more debt, since interest rates depends on market perspective and any more debt will only hamper their ratings (only fitch, the smallest of the 3 rating orgs have downgraded them to “junk”, most of these times these rating orgs work without any cohesiveness and no reason. Case in point, India, which has the second highest growth rate in the world, is somewhere in Bs whereas us and eu, the epitome of how not to manage the economy has As, yeah right.

Is this bad news, definitely. Are sony going bankrupt anytime soon, keep dreaming.
    I can understand how pathetic some you peoples financial knowledge is. THQ and Sony? Yeah right. You know that the sky is falling tomorrow right?
    Its a good move to fund your investments with your own money, any layman should know that.
    Although obviously, if this things don’t improve in 2-3 years, then some big selling is on the cards, even bankruptcy. Although that is not happening as both sony and external analysts are predicting a profit this year.
    I can understand where some of the negativity is coming from, they definitely aren’t hot in us or uk (from where many commentators are from), maybe even japan (they are in much better condition that the likes of panasonic and sharp) but move on the other countries like India and brazil (not sure) etc. and they are doing great. Its about having a global perspective. I would like to know which reputable analyst(not that market ever worked on the basis of their sayings) says that they will go boom soon. Even fitch doesn’t say that. It just says that the recovery will be long, not that it wouldn’t happen.

But whatever floats your boat, keep thinking sony is dead if it makes you happy.

10. deathm00n

I’m still loyal to sony, in my opinion one of the few companys you can trust to have quality and durable products. I just got a 40 LED TV yesterday, no complaints so far, I have an Xperia U, no complaints at all, it came with a problem in the proximity sensor and they gave me a new phone, like someone said one day: You measure the quality of a company not by it’s products defects but by it consumer care. I got a free headphone with the cellphone (a giveway we had here in brazil) and no complaints about it(actually the best headphone I’ve ever had). Also no complaints about my PS3.

You may call me a fanboy, but I really don’t care, I pay more for their products, but I know what I’m paying for and I’m happy about it.

11. viralshag

@8, The actual power of the machine won’t be the saving grace though. You just have to look at the most successful things in this industry to know that raw horse power isn’t key to victory.

Look at the Wii, WoW and DS… by no means the most powerful hardware or best graphics but yet make so much money for Nintendo and Blizzard. They could make it more powerful than most highend PCs and I don’t think they would see better sales than the PS1/2.

12. Dragon246

@12,
    I agree. Its about putting out a console at a right price. Most people wont care if its 3 gb or 4 gb ram.

13. ps3fanboy

only the xboxfanboys have a deathwish for sonys playstation. they cant stand that the playstation is soooooo much better than the crap box, and that is a fact.

14. deathm00n

@12 There I think you are wrong. Wii and DS had their success because of they realeased the games to the masses. But now the cellphones and tablets are dominating this market and we are going to loose a lot of people to it next gen. So the majority of the market will be the traditional gamer, and what the traditional gamer want? Graphics and good price. That’s what made PS1 and PS2 succed over say Dreamcast(had better graphics but were expensive)

15. Dragon246

You still have to agree a 600$ ps4 is the worst idea,don’t you?
    That said, it will not cost less than 800$ here, so no first day buy here.

16. viralshag

@15, Thast’s it though, I don’t think the “traditional gamer” is enough of a market to warrent the costs of an extremely high end and expensive console.

I think Dragon is right, in that the console needs to be correctly priced over highly specced.

17. killersense

i actually think sony are going to launch with a 499 premium model and 450 or 399 basic model. they are not going to sell for a loss this time around. those days are gone imo. i highly doubt sony is losing any money on vita at the moment and hence they are in no rush to do dramatic price cuts and are not showing signs of panic with regards to terrible vita sales. they know people will buy their hardware as they bring in more games. with their current first party studio setup they can do one mid budget game for vita and one ps4 game every year from each of their studios. they really have set themselves up pretty good by getting rid of studios that aren’t bringing them a lot of money and expanding studios like naughty dog and santa monica so they can make make more than one game at a time.

18. Erthazus

600$ PS4 is not the worst idea.

It must be worth 600$. When Sony announced that PS3 will cost 599$ it was a total shitstorm because that gaming system had no games at launch, but stupid promises, giant enemy crabs and no games or even decent online infrastructure.

People buy iThings for 600$ from Apple because they deliver at what they promised. Just for example.

600 or 800 or even 1000 is not an issue at all.

and yes, Hardware matters. Because that’s why 80% of multiplatform titles sells better on the 360 because it runs better and have much better frame rate in the end.

I want a console that have great exclusive games where multiplat title does not suffer from shitty frame rate. PS3 had some good exclusives but at the same time multiplatform titles looked and played like shit.
    My favourite multiplat game was Red Dead Redemption and I played it on the PS3.

After finishing it at 100% I wanted to destroy my PS3. Since then I bought less and less console games because I could not stand shitty frame rate and horrible Sub-HD resolution. Blergh…. My eyes deserve much more then that.

19. deathm00n

@16 and @17 Don’t get me wrong, I agree with you, the price must be right. It can’t be what PS3 was.

And to explain what I meant by traditional gamer. With the current gen, people who never played before and had no interest in it were welcomed in our world. They were a large parcel of the market, the people who bought their annual Call of Duty or Wii casual games. But most of these people (I know a lot of them) are no longer interested in console gaming, they moved to mobile game. So now the market is composed by a lot of the “traditional gamer”, the people who play videogames not as casual (by casual meaning investing only in 1 game per month or less). And this kind of people wants graphics, good story, good gameplay and good price.

20. Dragon246

@killersense
    Exactly. I also think 2 skus is the way to go. Cheaper one for masses, costlier one for enthusiasts.

21. theevilaires

oh wow SONY is selling one of their buildings this is a sure sign they’ll be under in a month like THQ. You guys are a riot. With all the people they have laid off they can buy a smaller HQ to rebuild structure of their company. Once they bounce back and the company they sold it too goes under SONY will probably buy it back or build an even bigger building. Just all depends if they bounce back ;)

22. OlderGamer

For what is worth I think it was a good move on Sonys part. Right now the cash is more important then the location of the building.

23. killersense

@erthazus
    what makes you think multiplatforms are going to suffer with frame rate issues and other stuff this time around? the ram ? you are making a big deal out of a rumor? there is another rumor that the 4gb ram that sony is offering is gddr5 which is apparently faster and more efficient and the 8gb that MS is offering is ddr3 which is slow. i just feel we need to wait for actual info to show up before jumping to conclusions and saying stuff like they have no money to put more ram? really lol? do you realize how silly that sounds? with ps3 they priced themselves out of the market initially and if they had games to back it up they could have salvaged it early but eventually the price was cut and the games arrived and they have managed to bring it back from the grave. they are going to do very well going forward with the ps3 especially to offset any losses that the ps4 may have (i doubt they will sell it on loss anyways). unless microsoft undercuts them they will sell ps4 at breakeven imo.

24. theevilaires

seriously they need to restructure and this is a good move I agree with O.G. This isn’t bad news at all. Its not like I ever step foot in that building anyway. Its not the twin towers so sell it for cold hard cash buy something smaller to accommodate the fewer employees still working for the company and build back up and expand.

Only a fool whose bleeding out would charge and fight in battle with stronger foes like Apple,Samsung,and Microsoft out there doing very strong. While I think its brave to try its ultimately stupid and could end your place before you know it. Theres so much drama in SONY right now that they’re hurting just as much in the inside as they are on the outside.

25. Erthazus

@killersense, Why you need faster Ram aka GDDR5 on a console that the major selling point are games?

To load textures and models faster? LOL? Gddr5 is indeed a much faster alternative. It uses an 8n-prefetch architecture to achieve a higher performance for a workstation.
    Games on the PC for example just started using 8 GB Of ram. Don’t tell me things like “but teh for PS4 gaems wil b optimised!11″, true, but, only for a console where Xbox successor will be much faster and their OS will work much better in the end. Ram is not just for fun. That is multitasking.

Next Xbox is going to use SKYPE, tablets, connectivity. Their OS is probably going to be based on Windows 7 or 8 which is very good at multitasking.

P.S. Hey Sony fanboys. Start a kickstarter: More Ram for Sony’s next console.

I will give them 50$. I have more money then the company anyway. :D

26. Mike W

It pains me to say this but I agree with OG ;)

27. killersense

like i said we don’t know any of that. need to wait on official information before saying one is powerful than the other and one is going to be better for games etc….

28. ps3fanboy

i have just started a kickstarter for sony’s ps4 to get more ram. we have now 50 backers already. the goal is to reach $500.000, it is not enough but it will be a start, and we will get the attention of sony to get things done. please support this because ps4 need more ram.

link:

29. Ireland Michael

For those who actually want a balanced perspective on Sony’s situation: http://www.nytimes.com/2012/04/11/business/global/sony-revises-expected-loss-to-6-4-billion.html

Sony has a *lot* of money. This sort of this isn’t close to going to kill them, but their cash reserve is far from limitless. Theyre hemoraging tonnes of cash right now. If it doesn’t turn around, it *will* most definitely become a major problem within the next few years.

I don’t think anyone wants to see that happen. They’ve been a rich part of the gaming landscape for a long time now. The company needs to refocus itself badly.

30. Erthazus

6.4 billion?

Sony, it was nice to know you. Good bye.

31. Seraphemz

Just had to comment, Erthazus is a complete tool. Biggest troll i’ve seen on VG.

32. manamana

Good bye, Erthazus! Sony isn’t done yet.

33. Ireland Michael

@31 6,100,000,000 out of a potential 600,000,000,000+

34. DSB

@34 That’s not even close to accurate Michael. Google is known for being one of the companies out there with the most expendable capital, and they have around 40-60 billion.

Sonys total assets value 160 billion, and so I doubt almost a third of that is hard cash.

35. Sadismek

@31 Look at the date, man. That was last year.

36. Ireland Michael

@35 It’s not about their expendable income. It’s about their overall revenue. You’d be amazed how far into the black these companies can go.

@36 About 8 months, if you want to be fussy. It’s just supposed to give a general idea of how the company has been going in recent years. It’s not like things have been comfortable for them since.

37. theevilaires

Seraphemz! I love you dude come back as a regular poster I’m back :D I’m trying to round up the original gang.

38. DSB

@37 Well that’s still not exactly good. Sony has a lot of products (and being a tech company, that means they spend a lot on R&D) but none of them are particularly succesful.

Earning however many billion makes no matter if you’re spending more than that to earn them.

39. Seraphemz

#38 I should be around again. Good to see you again bro!

On topic, I dont see why people are seeing this as a doom and gloom move, they are obviously on the path to getting their ish together.

40. DSB

@37 Check this out:

Whatever her conclusions are, the numbers pretty much speak for themselves.

Given Sony’s situation, and given the state of the Japanese economy, with everybody practically just waiting for the next recession, I just don’t really see the silver lining.

Best case scenario as I see it, is a massive restructuring that sees Sony as a much smaller, much less affluent company, but with a cohesive selection of products that turn a profit.

That’s what I’d put my 5 bucks on, at least.

I also think the 49′ers are gonna win the Superbowl if they take the Falcons this weekend.

41. Meta_Dragon

Why don’t we let actual business men at Sony figure out what needs to be done, and stop pretending we know better then they do.

42. Erthazus

Hey, fanboys: http://www.capitalfm.co.ke/business/2013/01/sony-to-sell-tokyo-building/

Sony to sell Tokyo building.

Woohoo!

43. Meta_Dragon

And? Selling buildings doesn’t mean doom and gloom if that’s what you are hoping for.

44. DSB

But it’s a pretty clear indication that you need money more than you need a mortgage.

I’m guessing that banks aren’t lined up to finance someone who owes 80 cents on every dollar they’re worth.

45. monkeygourmet

Come on Sony bots…

No matter how you spin all these stories it’s bad news for Sony…

Far to many products, that’s the main problem.

They seriously need to follow Apples example, do 1 or 2 products well.

Next gen they will fizzle out, it’s typical Sony arrogance.

Cutting off their nose to spite their face. I hate the fact Sony use there consoles to sell you there next media format, they deserve to fail because of their greed.

Digital is upon us and Sony can’t hold a monopoly over that, game over Sony… Game over.

46. Meta_Dragon

Yea like Microsoft and Apple aren’t greedy? Give me a break dude.

47. OlderGamer

Gonna be an interesting year to say the lest.

48. Dragon246

Yo guys, we will know how sony did in 2012-13 soon. Why not spare the gloom for then. If its 5 billion in negative again, then sony is going dodo. But that’s not happening.
    You are right. Any more debt will only do them harm

49. Da Man

Sony are the japanese Nokia.

The latter probably still has the biggest phone marketshare, especially outside of NA, hah.

Mostpopularbrandlol.

50. monkeygourmet

Greed or seeking profit? companies that can focus tend to do better.

Sony’s focus is all over the place at the moment.

Come on dude, that’s obvious! How many products o they send out to die in the market place?

Remember the PS branded tablets? How well did they do?

That was only last year. Wonder book? PS phone? The list is endless…

51. Sadismek

Wow, sometimes it sounds like *some* of you actually wish the worse for Sony. What the hell guys, it’s not like they killed your family after they raped it! They are in trouble, but dancing on their open coffin doesn’t do anyone any good. I personally wish them the best, and I’m sure they’ll work something out.

52. Dragon246

Wonderbook stayed in uk charts longer than zombieu.
    Their beloved company ninty was thrown from the top by sony. They are still smarting from that.
    And you know, they huddle around ninty articles saying “OH MY BELOVED IS TARGETED”.
    Man, the hypocrisy is startling.

53. Meta_Dragon

Mmm, im going to say greed. I can’t honestly defend Miro$oft and say they aren’t greedy. And when Apple makes a new phone every six months with, what, one little change? I say greed on that too. And since Sony didn’t start out as a game business, naturally their focus is going to be on different things. The CEO has change the companies focus to three things: digital imaging, gaming, and the mobile market. Sure, products fail, but that’s just how things go. You can’t win every time. you seem to act like Sony raped your family or something.

54. Da Man

You can’t argue with people who state they like a CEO of a corporation.

Want your $599? Work harder, Sony. Work 7 times a week. Then if I feel like it I might purchase a pos.

55. theevilaires

^ I don’t think your purchase will make or break them lil man. In the long run you’ll end up giving them your money regardless so shut your mouth kid and stop trolling for the sake of attention.

56. Da Man

Wtf are you again, theracistarse?

You should rename your login to theironicarse.

57. monkeygourmet

@53, 54

No, I just hate that fact that Sony’s main priority for the last few gen’s has been to shill there newest media format…

That has NOTHING to do with gaming, it’s pure corporate greed.

Designing a whole console round a media format your trying to push on the masses. How many times do we have to buy the same fucking film because Sony have decided to change the format?

Absolute rubbish and now that digital is the focus, hopefully that will show them there consoles can’t be Trojan horse devices anymore.

58. Dragon246

4k is just higher res than present, just like 1080p was from SD. Everyone will follow it sooner or later.
    Why don’t you admit the real reason now?
    Also, nintendogs calling others sony bots makes little sense.

59. OlderGamer

“Mind you, the talk of 4K in the PS4 shows you a leopard can’t change it’s spots, if they go that route, I hope they go bust.”

No doubt that is where they are going MG. 4K I mean. They will try and convince people they need one first. Then when they do start selling, Vizio, Samsung or someone else will swoop in and bring them to the masses with cheaper prices.

That is my biggest Sony crux right there, they are always trying to sell luxury/sports cars in a economy car market. If the price is too high, it doesn’t matter what it can do. Are 4K display nice? I would imagine they are, my PC does over 1080p it is nice. But do I want to pay for a brand new TV? Heck no. I just don’t want it.

I felt the same way with BR. Once I bought my PS3, it came with several free BR movies, and got it set up I wasn’t blown away. They looked nice, BR did, but to me so did a reg DVD in my XB360 or PS3. The up jump in quality wasn’t worth the price, imo.

4K TVs will prolly be the same type of thing. I had read that Sonys 55inch was like 25,000usd to buy. Even if the price drops by 2/3rds, I don’t want it. That is still around 7000usd to 8000usd. Who wants to spend that?

60. Meta_Dragon

Yeah i saw at Sony’s CES confrence those new TV’s. I felt they were a bit ridiculous. I kind of wish Sony would drop their TV department, and bring some focus back to their games.

61. Da Man

Time to create the Super_Dragon and Mega_Dragon alt accounts to prove your social adequacy.

62. Meta_Dragon

So following where i comment and making comments against me is showing my social Adequacy? i’ll remember that. I could also make a Super_Da Man as well. See this would work both ways.

63. Da Man

^What are you on about, weirdo?

You have two accounts, and comment on this website more than I do all week.

So there’s nothing you could do for anything to work both ways. And there’s also nothing you can do to save Sony.

64. Meta_Dragon

Uhm, no troll. I have one account on this site. Try again. In fact, this is first time i have been on this site for quite some time. Also, it may seem like i blindly defend Sony, but there some dumb decisions that they have made that i don’t approve of.

65. Da Man

Yeah right. You just keep on contributing.

Also I’m no troll. I like Sony. See it would work both ways. Bla blah blah quite frankly blah blah copy pasted online dictionary entries blah.

I could also copy paste the whole encyclopedia dramatica in here.

12 years old confirmed.

66. Meta_Dragon

Good, I’m glad you confirmed your age. I had my suspicions.

67. Dragon246

You really are wasting your time here on DM.

68. Da Man

That’s some astounding humor, second only to Metal Gear Solid.

69. Ireland Michael

@63, patrick@vg247.com

70. Meta_Dragon

Yeah i know. Lol. Is there an ignore feature?

71. monkeygourmet

You didn’t read any of my post.

You just engaged your pro-Sony filter.

4K is just a resolution, yeah. But do you think Sony want to capitalise on it? I guarantee the PS4 will also play 4K Bluray or whatever discs.

Sony won’t be able to resist it. That’s the main problem. All their devisions are connected and pollute each other, that will be their downfall and it will be very deserved. The once proud samurai finally falling on his own sword.

72. Da Man

No, but there’s the alt accounts rule

73. Ireland Michael

@71, No. And they never will be, based on what Pat has said in the past. You can always use a personal thing called “willpower” though.

Complain to Pat directly if you believe his behaviour is genuinely disruptive to the community.

74. Meta_Dragon

I’m trying lol. It’s hard when he keeps disrupting these conversations in the comments.

75. Da Man

You could always try creating a third account.

I hope there will be a rule for memberating flooders sometime.

76. Ireland Michael

@75 Which become entitely irrelevant to the thread the moment they’re ignored.

77. Dragon246

Then we can all laugh together afterwards if sony falls. Maybe learn some computer knowledge and understand that hdmi1.4a (or some other version), supports 4k, so sony is hardly the first one in the bandwagon. Many pc gamers have already moved on to res more than 1080p. The only sony needs to do is use the latest hdmi industry standard to make ps4 capable of running 4k . All modern gpus support 4k.

78. Meta_Dragon

Will the PS4 even support 4K? Or is the max for the 1080p?

79. monkeygourmet

I mean disc format and distribution:

It’s starting already, especially with films within their ‘stable’.

How many times do you want to buy the same film dragon?

80. monkeygourmet

As Dragon said, 4K is already supported by a lot of devices, it’s just wether Sony try to push the 4K Bluray format on the PS4 alongside the new 4K TV range.

Then a few years on it’ll be 4K 3D or whatever, that is, providing Sony last that long…

81. OlderGamer

Building up enough content for 4K TVs is a barrier too. So yeah building it in to their next console makes a lot of sense to me. It helps build back that amount of content. But I still think it comes down to do people want to pay for it? If it comes standard in a reg priced TV, I would consume it, if not…no thanks.

82. Meta_Dragon

I just really think this is ridiculous. I mean it’s great they are exploring new technologies, but this just doesn’t seem economically sound. Can’t they be happy with Blu-ray and 1080p?

83. OlderGamer

That is one of the problems with tech companies tho Meta, they think they always need new products to bring to market. Even tho many folks just don’t want or can’t afford to upgrade.

84. Phoenixblight

the 4k resolution is not for games it was only for films with Blu ray. We have a long way to go until we see that res for video games.

85. DSB

@84 Apple called, and they say you’re full of shit :P (Respectfully, of course)

People are always looking to spend money, and it doesn’t neccesarily matter whether something is “better” or “worse” on paper, it matters whether it’s cool enough to spend money on or not.

People in the lower income brackets just aren’t the targets. They’ll just have to use financing to get their hands on those products, or wait until the more attractive markets are tapped to have their turn.

Something like the Steambox pretty much depends on it. Does anyone “need” a practical, accessible living room PC? Fuck no. Could it turn out to be cool enough that they’ll buy it anyway? Fuck yeah.

86. Meta_Dragon

Yeah makes sense. I just never understood the need to make new products asap. Well hopefully they get some sense knocked into them. I mean i don’t even think the theaters where i live even use Sony’s projection stuff.

Haha! Yeah good point. One can speculate i guess. :P

87. monkeygourmet

Exactly, Sony care about their physical media primarily.

Be interesting to see how they can push the PS4 now that all the other consoles can stream or play media in HD formats.

88. monkeygourmet

TV’s have yet to fall into that bracket though, hence why Samsung are going down the road of upgradable TV’s.

After all, it’s easier to sneak a new tablet past your partner than a 50″ TV! ;)

89. Meta_Dragon

Samsung has upgradable TVs? Like the TVs have software in them?

90. OlderGamer

I see what you are saying DSB, ofc. And the same for MS too, do we really need a new OS every year or two? I know where my wife works they will use the old stuff(from hardware to software) till it is out of service, they never buy new…and they are a fortune 500 company.

I was just saying that the mind set of such companies doesn’t allow them to sit back and sell what they already have. They Must push the envelope. In Sonys case, what happens when they can’t? Or when it stops selling?

What if Apple released their brand new iCrap 6, and no one bought it? The masses all wanted to stay with iCrap5 instead?

At some point you run that risk.

Maybe they stay with last years FIFA, last gens Playstation, DVD instead of BR, 1080p instead of 4K, and so on. At some point it should be understood(Companys not you DSB) that not eveerything can keep expanding.

As much as we all want next gen systems, I bet they have a tuff sell after the launch window. All of them. I think a mega ton people will be happy to stick with PS3s and xb360s.

91. fearmonkey

I want Sony to come back and kick major arse next gen as MS has become too cocky in my opinion, and this coming from a Xbox and PC gamer. Competition is a good thing, its better for consumers.

When the PS2 was out and Kaz and Kutaragi were spouting their cocky arrogant bullcrap, it just made MS work harder. Now the 360 is dominant and MS is the arrogant one. MS forces changes on us via Windows 8 and Office that consumers didnt ask for or want, they offer very limited sales, they place a premium on services for the xbox rather than games and if we don’t like it tough!

Id love to see Sony make MS scramble, Id really REALLY love to see that :) If not Sony then maybe Valve, MS on top for too long is a bad thing.

92. monkeygourmet

Yeah kind of, you can upgrade the CPU and RAM etc…

It’s not proven tech yet as it can split the market but the system is available in some of the sets from late 2012 onwards.

Reason being, TV tech is improving crazy fast, like same as mobile phones.

My Samsung 46″ 6530 set I bought last year is already stupidly out of date from Samsungs release perspective. Already about 50 TV’s better than mine now in less than 8 months.

I guess the idea would be to offer upgrades for apps and performance at a fraction of the cost.

I will maybe sell my old set and upgrade once I get a Xbox 720 but Sony’s consoles are always very intertwined with their physical media and TV devisions.

93. OlderGamer

“Thing is, when most family’s buy a TV they expect it to last 5 plus years, maybe more. Upgrading every year or two is just not possible for most people.”

He shoots….he scores!!

94. monkeygourmet

:D

95. monkeygourmet

From a gaming perspective they already are with the PS3 exclusives…

Unfortunately that doesn’t seem to be enough this and maybe next gen.

Nintendo and Sony machines seem generally more suited to exclusives only.

Thing is, Nintendo didn’t sell at a loss last gen. Wise move IMO.