Sony ditching DualShock controller with PS4 – rumor

Friday, 18th January 2013 14:28 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Sony plans to retire its DualShock controller with PlayStation 4, according to a CVG source.

The site spoke with a studio source working on a Sony title, which claimed various design ideas are being mulled around the company. Some are similar to the current controller while others contain an LCD touch screen and others are more avant-garde, such as one featuring biometrics.

One only has to look at the Sony controller patents which have popped up over the last several months to get an idea of what its R&D department is concocting.

However, we’ll not know anything for sure until Sony announces a new console and controller, or until someone breaks the NDA.

[image]

1. freedoms_stain

Let the anti-dualshock mission statements BEGIN!

2. theevilaires

Pleassssssse I want the boomerang it looked awesome.

3. Ireland Michael

I bloody hope so. The controller is an outdated relic.

I just hope they’re going to put effort into designing a serious new controller, and not trying something utterly ridiculous and off the wall.

4. Gadzooks!

About bloody time! It’s appalling that they didn’t redesign it for the PS3. So very lazy.

I like the dual Move design, but with a screen in between. All snaps together/apart. Covers all bases.

5. Elven_Star

Dunno. I really love the Dual Shock feel but maybe they can come up with something even better, who knows.

6. Gheritt White

About bloody time.

7. woe

So its going to be another Wii U controller?

8. HauntaVirus

Thank goodness, way overdue.

9. viralshag

Agree with 3 & 4, I can’t stand using the DualShock pads. One of the reasons I drifted away from PS and more to Xbox was the design of the pads.

Admittedly, the first Xbox pad was an unsightly brick but I still liked it and the smaller second version was awesome.

10. OlderGamer

Good deal.

11. theevilaires

LMAO look at all the people in here who prefer the 360 over PlayStation comment. What does it matter the controller is getting changed you still can’t play your precious Halo with it. Pure losers I swear.

12. killersense

as long as it is not similar to the xbox one i am fine. I personally don’t like the xbox360 controller. feels bulky and the dpad is horrible.

13. freedoms_stain

AH-HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Called it.

14. Ireland Michael

@11 People are criticising the controller because they actually enjoy the experience Sony provides on the PS3 and want to see thar experience get better , not because of some personal bias against Sony.

@12 Agreed entirely on the D-pad, although the D-Pad itself has really sort of been relegated to second function controls in recent years in most genres. I do hope they keep that as good though, if this rumour even turns out to be true.

The buttons on the PlayStation controllers are still the best of all the controllers – the perfect amount of control and pressure. It’s the design, shape, thumsticks and triggers that are a mess.

15. viralshag

@12, The d-pad is the weakest part of the pad but I always felt like the DualShock positioned the d-pad where an anolog stick should be. I always felt like I was playing with claw hands…

16. tmac2011

lol a screen in a controller still sounds stupid…..

17. G1GAHURTZ

Took ‘em long enough…

18. monkeygourmet

Dualshock is for 2D games, 3D games are an after thought.

The dual shock was created to combat the N64 pad, another nice original idea from Sony.

The left 3D stick should be moved now that the focus is on 3D games.

Just had a quick bash on Uncharted 3, pad is absolutely awful. Very loose and almost ruins the game or any game IMO.

19. G1GAHURTZ

Tbh, I like the looseness.

Gives a better feeling of control for twitch shooters. It takes a while to get used to, though…

20. theevilaires

@14 You people enjoy the experience SONY provides? LMFAO, all you guys do is bash SONY day in and out on this site(and many others I’m sure). You’re not here to give any positive feed back you want to take a dig at the controller you feel is inferior to your new personal favorite which is that junk piece of crap 360 controller.

O’Connor you can dress up in sheep clothing all you want around here but we all smell your stench that lurks underneath your disguise. SONY doesn’t have to change anything about the DS3 but the number to 4 and it’ll still be the most preferred controller out of the 3 or coming up 4 consoles.

Theres a reason why it has not changed since you moron.

21. Erthazus

I actually like Dual-Shock controller. Have no issues with it. In my opinion it’s much better for fighting games and hack and slash games then with Xbox controller.

22. Telepathic.Geometry

The weakest point of the dual shock is the analogues. Nub is too big, and the sensitivity is balls. If they only fixed that I’d be happy enough…

23. Ireland Michael

@20 We bash the company when it makes idiotic mistakes. (which happens to be all the time)

We praise them when they release great, revolutionary, industry defining games. (which happens to be all the time)

24. theevilaires

^ you’re an idiot you know that.

Please stop trying to sound like you’re some logical scholar because you’re not

25. Sadismek

I like the Dual Shock aswell. The analogue sticks could be better though, but the rest is really okay in my opinion. A change is welcome, though.

26. theevilaires

It just amazes me how people played the PS1 and PS2 for over a decade and didn’t complain. The only reason why I wouldn’t mind them changing it is because I feel the PlayStation number trilogy is over and the next PlayStation probably won’t be named 4. So with that start fresh but make it awesome and if people complain give them the option to use the DualShock3 on the next PlayStation.

27. viralshag

@26, I complained about it as soon as I heard the PS3 wasn’t going to change their design. I never owned a Nintendo console after the SNES so getting the Xbox and their pad was the first time I had anything to compare it too.

And the positioning of their buttons and analog sticks was a lot more comfortable, in my opinion.

28. ps3fanboy

if they make the dualshok more like the crap box controller they can bet their ass on, that they will see me drifting away to steambox…

29. theevilaires

@27 and you’re entitled to your opinion but some people see this article as a chance to bash SONY even more as if they don’t listen to their fanbase or never attempted a new controller style. When the boomerang was first unveiled people bitched and SONY changed it back and people were happy. They’re not going to keep wasting money on R&D for a new controller.

If it isn’t broke don’t fix it. I want the 360 to change its controller for the 720 but does gadzooks feel the same way?…..hell no. To him that abomination is perfect and to me the DualShock is perfect. I Guarantee you if people don’t like this new PlayStation controller its going right back to being the DualShock 4.

30. Ireland Michael

@29 We’re bashing what we consider a terrible controller.

“you’re entitled to your opinion”

” entitled to your opinion”

“your opinion”

“opinion”

The Xbox controller could do with numerous improvements – the D-Pad, the overly sticky action buttons, too much general bulkiness, lack of analogue function in the buttons. etc. etc.

This article isn’t about the Xbox controller.

31. Belmont

LCD display on the controller is rather cool. but it largely depends on how well they pull it off. I don’t know about biometric. I also occasionally think sixaxis in the current controller could have been used way better.

32. Clupula

This would be stupid. They get rid of the Dualshock, it’s an automatic no-sale for me. Closest thing there’s ever been to a perfect controller. It’s the right size, the sticks are made for people who don’t have deformed mutant hands with thumbs in two different places. The only thing that could make it better is 6 buttons on the right instead of 4.

33. Clupula

Also, I’m not even sure what that abomination in the picture above is supposed to be.

34. viralshag

@29, The difference I guess, is that while MS and Ninty have changed and improved (opinion I guess) their pads each gen while Sony only added analog sticks to the same design they’ve always had.

Plus during the PS1/2 days, they were the dominant console whereas there is more choice and options, there have been improvements in control pads.

35. Ireland Michael

@34 Stop using actual logical thinking, viral. You’ll cause the entire universe to implode in on itself if you keep doing that!

36. mistermogul

I personally think the 360 controller is the best to date. Anything similar to that would be good with the thumbsticks in the same position.

Thanks Sony!

37. Clupula

@36 – I’m sorry, my hands are symmetrical. I never understand how someone can enjoy the thumbsticks being in two different places.

38. Bomba Luigi

I Love the PS3, I love the PS3 exclusive Games, but the Controller is a terrible Thing. I use it to play the Great Games, but the Experience could obvious be better with a Controller that feels good.

Of course some People like it. But just because I don’t like it dosn’t mean I want to Bash Sony. I want Sony to become better.

Its like telling a Kid to be nice to other People. Its not a Bash against the Kid.

39. Sadismek

@38 Well said!

40. Clupula

@38 – But you see, here’s the thing. To us, it’s not better. I hate the 360 controller. It’s big and shaped weird and the d-pad is crap. I love the Dualshock. If Sony don’t use a Dual Shock next gen, I won’t buy their system. It’s as simple as that.

They wouldn’t be improving the controller to a lot of people. They’ve be taking a big step backwards.

41. TD_Monstrous69

In my opinion I do think the dualshock as is does need to change, but I don’t think it needs sweeping change. The only things that need to be done for whatever their next controller might be that they need the base of it to be just a bit wider, and longer, at least by an inch, that way it’d give it some heft. Also, curve out the L2 and R2 triggers instead of curving them in as it is now. Because sometimes when playing, the back of my fingers do get pinched when playing certain games like say GTA IV, where you have to use the R2 and L2 triggers as your action buttons. In truth, those are the only things I’d want with their next controller. A touch screen? I can’t say I’m clamoring for one on my controller, to me, it’d depend on how it’s utilized, but the biometric stuff sounds interesting. Again, it’d depend on the utilization of it for me.

42. Sadismek

@40 Wouldn’t it be smart of Sony to allow any controller to be plugged in their next PlayStation though? Maybe launch different types of controllers, made by them. That way they would keep the same control scheme, not having to bother with button customization, and make everyone happy.

43. Clupula

@42 – That would be smart and I’d support people who don’t like the Dualshock having that OPTION, but the controller it should come with needs to be a Dualshock.

44. Da Man

SonyClupula never plays any games which require any kind of precision or skill anyway.

People like those are too immersed in bishounens and screen swirling battles.

45. Meta_Dragon

Well as long as they don’t make it brick sized like the 360 controller, I guess I can deal with a redesigned controller.

46. Sadismek

@43 It’s pretty safe to say that the controller won’t be a Dualshock. A lot of people have been complaining about it since PS3′s arrival, although I’ve never had any problems with it. And besides, they can’t satisfy everyone. The thing I’ve mentioned in @42 seems the best way possible to deal with everyone once and for all, but I doubt it that they’ll actually do that. We’ll see.

47. Clupula

@46 – I’d say just as many people have been saying the controller is just fine. Remember when they were going to launch the PS3 with that awful looking batarang controller? The outcry was quite loud. This becomes official, it will cost Sony money. It’d be really fucking stupid of them to pull this crap.

48. polygem

i agree with #38

the controller is what made me play more on my 360. this is just how it is. it’s just my personal preference though. never liked the dualshock much. very happy if they’ll redesign it.

why is saying something like this bashing sony again?

@42: a classic controller, dualshock option would be awesome. i can see this happening for real. nintendo also has different options. it should work for sony too.

49. osric90

If not broken…

50. OlderGamer

Also agree with 38, I went out and bought a xb360 lay style controler for my PS3 a couple years back.

51. Ireland Michael

@48 I’m sure Sony probably has better metrics than any of us to work with.

If more people want the classic design, they’ll stick with it. If they don’t, they probably won’t.

52. monkeygourmet

Which one OG? I need one for Last of Us! :)

Was thinking about getting the 360 pad adaptor but not sure if rumble and stuff works well?

53. NocturnalB

I highly doubt Sony would 100% retire the dualshock, it’s the friggin’ dualshock!

54. theevilaires

@38 thats the dumbest shit next to anything O’Connor has ever said on this site.

You want the kid to be good, but you don’t want to bash him. What kind of stupid logic is that. and Clupula I agree my hands are the same way. Why someone would want to play crooked is retarded, but then again the people arguing its better are crooked on this site so yea….

55. DrDamn

The more I think about it the more I feel Sony really need to take some risks with PS4. More of the same but faster isn’t going to cut it, they *need* to do something different. So I’d like to see stuff like a disconnecting Move controller with a detachable screen. That would open up lots of possibilities.

56. polygem

@52: had the 360 adapter, works, but no sixaxxis…cannot recall rumble. i think it worked.

had the power a too.
    that one wasn’t too shabby but not that great either. the analog sticks are shit. laggy. not responsive.

nerd alarm

i decided to just keep playing with the ds. i just don’t like that thing though. too small, buttons feel cheap, loose analog sticks, shit analog stick placement…i dislike almost everything about it. wiiu pro and 360 pad are much more fun to use. In my honest unbiased opinion as a multiplat videogame enthusiast with a soft spot for kirby.

57. fearmonkey

I never cared for the playstation controller, which I had started using since the original playstation. The dual stick version that later came along was just not comfortable for long periods of time with my hands.
    I didn’t like the N64 controller or gamecube controllers either.

The massive xbox controller was comfortable in some ways, though my hands would fall asleep while playing it. The controller S was much better. Then the 360 controller came along and in my opinion its the best controller I have ever played (and I have played lots of PC controllers too. The exception is the Spaceorb, man I would love a modern version of that)

I’d hate MS to radically change its gamepad and I imagine Sony fans feel the same way about the Dualshock. The smart move would be to have both options available. I know people that loved the Sony controller, it just never felt great to me for some reason.

58. Gama_888

I love the Dualshock. Its perfect for me. Maybe thats jsut because i am so used to it now.

But i cannot use a 360 controller for a long time. my hand cramps. and i dont think i am holding it right cuz i get red marks appear on my fingers where theyv bin pressed against the bottom of the triggers.
    but i cant find any other way to hold it that feels comfortable :/

59. tatsujin

omfg stupid sony asses. Keep the controller as it is. I DO NOT WANT BEAR-CLAW CONTROLLERS LIKE THE XCRAP 3FIXME!

60. Sadismek

@59 See that little word written at the end of the title? The one after the dash? Yeah, it says rumor.

61. OlderGamer

I bought a DreamGear pad, I don’t know the make or model anymore. But it was gripped, wireless, laid out like xb360 pad and was pretty nice. I wore out the Y button at this point tho. They have cheapie ones you can get at Walmart that are usb, look like xb360 ones and work on PS3.

62. monkeygourmet

Thanks OG I will look into it!

Can’t face playing last of us on the Dualshock! :)

63. fengato

A full sized Vita style D-Pad – yes please…

64. monkeygourmet

just pack-in the Vita as the control pad, smartest move they could do.

65. Sadismek

@64 I’d actually like that! Using the Vita as the controller when you fire up the console, and then as a stand-alone console when the PS4 is shut down. Not bad :).

66. Ireland Michael

Yeah, and then the console will end up costing $699…

67. monkeygourmet

Not if they use a subscription model.

Or take a hit and try and resurect the Vita.

With all the cross platform stuff it would make sense to give them both a boost.

68. Eddie Rodrigues

No, not my DualShock. I can’t adapt to any other controller, except keyboard, sadly

69. monkeygourmet

70. Eddie Rodrigues

@69 OH YOU!

71. monkeygourmet

@70 ;)

72. fuchikoma

It’s perfect for me too. I am so sick of gimmicks for the sake of being different. Waggle, touchscreens, microphones, cameras… The less of that, the higher it scores with me, and if it works properly as a controller too, then so much the better. The Vita has me a bit on edge, but it’s been mostly ok so far, though I still have issues like how aiming right in Unit 13 sometimes means hitting the “leap over cover to your death” onscreen button…

I will preferentially buy a system based on orthodox button and stick controls. Hopefully all they do is fix the triggers, or at least allow connecting PS3 controllers for most games that can use them.

73. Dragon246

Well, we haven’t seen a patent from sony for a second screen controller now have we? Guess at least we are safe on that front.