PlayStation Network maintenance extended

Friday, 18th January 2013 02:11 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Today’s scheduled 12 hour maintenance window for the PlayStation Network has been extended, Sony has announced via Twitter. The announcement mentions the downtime has been extended “to tomorrow morning”, and as it was supposed to end at 8:00 PM PT, that suggests we’re looking at an additional four hours at the very least. Updates are promised when available. If you signed into the PSN any time in the last few days, you should still be able to play online while Sony tinkers, although some network features will be unavailable.

1. AZ_Girlgamer91

Another Four Hours???

2. DeVitowned

Be great if these maintenances ever made a difference.

3. SHOTTi_MUSiC

..they should have a backup network.. just sayin…

4. ctgretzky99

Holy crap Sony…who is your scheduler?

DO THIS CRAP on a late Sunday night into Monday or Monday into Tuesday! You pick one of the busier gaming nights to update AGAIN?

Thursday, Friday and Sat and then early Sunday are the biggest gaming nights. Why you choose one of them continually baffles me.

NEW update: won’t be back until Friday 18th at 11am.

Also, you told us as long a we signed in before this “update”, we would be able to game and that only the store and account info would be inaccessible….bull. No one I know can get in and we are always logged in for the most part! Grrrr….

5. hensonnnnn

i was logged in yesterday about 30 mins before the maintenance started and now i can get on. sony are a joke. the maintenance make no difference. it takes them 12 hours+ and they will probably change something that doesnt affect its users

6. davonbibbs91

man this sucks !!

7. Snipz21589

i was logged in about 3 this morning and i cant get on my account? whats the deal, my friends account works fine.

8. upyourass

So change ps store upgrade it still not help when on high round zombies connection error you have been signed out of ps network that happens all the time high speed Internet not worth anything sort out ps network in this way instead of wasting your time on ps store:)

9. Telepathic.Geometry

I don’t care. It’s just like bad weather. I can’t go to the park today, I’ll read a book instead. I can’t play multiplayer Borderlands 2, so I’ll play single-player Far Cry 3 instead.

10. iceohio

I was in the middle of a game on Madden 13 ahead 28 to 0 when it went down yesterday. It just cut off without warning, which really sucks because I have been trying to best that damn GOAT game for about 10 tries. I know it is a coincidence that I had 3 amazing strokes of good luck followed by the buzz kill, but man does that suck that not only that, but even 12 hours later I still cannot get on psn :(

11. upyourass

Az GirlGamer91 think you should take the network down time to sort yourself out played with you before and for a girl you sure have a bad take on life total nut case talking to people the way you do?

12. xX_SprayPaint_Xx

dang, i guess i can wait a little more >.<

13. barkatozz

Bunch of bullsh!t

14. cumgtsum

Can u tell me why my son has been able to log in ALL DAY in his room &i can’t in my room &we LIVE IN THE SAME HOUSE???

15. GoOnPara

Hi.. i am from New Zealand and it is now 11:32 pm at night. i can not sign in at fucking all when is this ‘downtime’ going to end? i just want to play Call Of Duty hurry up and fix it pls :( btw its the 18/01/2013 when is it gonna end? And make a back up network to so we can play our games!!

16. G-DOG-81

is 2pm GMT and still no playstation store wats goin on. can anyone tell me when it will be back on. of all the days they could of done the maintenance they pick the day nuketown zombies come out on the black ops 2 season pass it already take the piss that xbox get 30 day before us and we’ve already waited another 5 days on top of that sort it out for fuck sake

17. Ireland Michael

lolpsn

Pretty par for the course.

18. YUSOGAYY

10:00AM on Friday -.- network still down.

19. Loww_x

i’ve been trying since about 5pm yesterday (17th) and i still cant get online today 3pm friday, this is getting annoying now.

When is it meant to be back online?

20. Ireland Michael

@19 Nobody knows

21. ps3fanboy

it will be on very late this friday or not before saturday…

22. mirsad222

How do they get away with this come on.

23. mirsad222

They said update is 12 hours + they extend it 4 more hours that is 16 hours and it’s been down for over 20 hours now. What’s going on???

24. Meta_Dragon

play some games on the PC and calm down.

25. Da Man

Indeed.

You get what you pay for. (Alas, in Sony’s case you get the same but you pay for an overpriced brand name)

26. jwill3

How much longer? I’m dying here

27. Sadismek

@25 Seriously dude, you should stop this hatred, and inhale, exhale, inhale, exhale, inhale…

28. Da Man

I just can’t decide whether it’s the broken Samsung firmware or Sony’s latest products I should loathe more.

Bada or teh Cell? Tough one.

29. Meta_Dragon

You must be a very lonely person if all you do is bash on a company all day.

30. Da Man

^If.

31. Meta_Dragon

Here let me correct that. WHEN. There, is that better for you? Oh, what a surprise, you are commenting on the Nintendo page defending them to your death. Now i understand.

32. Dragon246

What do you expect from the biggest troll around here.

33. mirsad222

Come on man what kind of update takes over 20 hours. Anybody here playing FIFA13? I got 60 spots available to use in trade pile on ultimate team but I’m only able to use 30???

34. Loww_x

so hopefully it will be back tonight :)

35. Meta_Dragon

Yeah, you’re right. Not sure why I’m wasting my time on him.

36. Da Man

#31 Look up the time of my posts.

There’s this useful Username string, to the right from the comment number.

PSN is shit, this is a fact of life, not a troll.

37. Da Man

Not sure why I’m wasting my time on him.
    You’ve answered your own question already in #29.

Sony123456 has made about as many comments today as two socially deprived persons would struggle to.

38. Sadismek

@31 He’s actually fond of Microsoft. So fond of, that he blindly bashes everything that stands in his precious company’s way. I’d love to know how this hatred towards Sony was born. His girlfriend left him after he spent too much time playing on his PS3 and now he seeks revenge?

I feel like we’re already paying him too much attention, but it would be really nice if he would enlighten us on this matter, and stop poison every thread related to Sony. It’s getting quite annoying to be unable to scroll through comments without one of his killing your mood.

39. mirsad222

I think I’m gonna switch to X-BOX.

40. Da Man

We just need more news on Samsung and Google. Sony is all I can comment on negatively around here.

41. mirsad222

How come they can’t just give us exact time when the network will be available? If it’s 7 days just say 7 days instead of thousands of people sitting infront of ps3 and keep trying to log in LOL.

42. polygem

43. OlderGamer

Man someone is trolling hard on an alt account geez.

44. Meta_Dragon

Couldn’t agree more.

45. Meta_Dragon

Ugh, Blizz does that too with their server maintenance. Just constantly extending it.

46. Da Man

#41 Couldn’t agree more.

47. Da Man

Also, it would seem Sony123456 decided to fight the opposition with two accounts…

48. Sadismek

@46 Hah, nice try mate.

49. mirsad222

You know some of us are married and can only play when wife is at work. My wife works Friday, Saturday and Sunday so I just missed my Friday playing time :(. This is a crime hahahahhahaha

50. polygem

it really is dragon24/6. i’m still trying to figure out which day he’s off though.

51. Dragon246

You have to say this sucks. Although I am not affected, they should adhere to the time limits they set.

52. Meta_Dragon

If only it worked that way. Lol

53. Dragon246

They are only antagonizing their customers with this. I think they should give an uppermost time limit and if it finishes early, then good.

54. Da Man

Talking to yourself already I see. The studies were right, excessive video games lead to dementia.

55. Meta_Dragon

That would be really nice. I could see that having a better response, rather then keep pushing it back.

56. Laurap

well now they are saying 11:00 pm on one site I was looking at… What you going to do that is what happens with a network you don’t pay for…. but…. I will have to agree with other people’s comments it is odd that they would do it on the day of DLC release Oh well at least I can still play…. Just was looking forward to some new zombie play :(

57. smidgers15

i agree, this is totally f*****g rediculous! why don’t they just f*****g pull their heads out of their arses and tell us when the network WILL be back up instead of wasting our time? its not fair! in all honesty my respect for sony has gone out the f*****g window with all their issues and bugs! in all fairness, if your going to spend millions developing, manufacturing and selling a console, why not just do the f*****g thing right the first time! right now, me, a long-time customer of an entire range of sony products, am ready to take my ps3 apart to make a blu-ray lazer cigarette lighter and buy a f*****g X-BOX!!!!! sony, this is rediculous, and you may have lost one customer who has input alot of cash into buying your products, and if you continue doing, ‘this’ sort of things you will lose alot more customers! this carry-on should not be allowed, us, the members of the public deserve better!!!

58. Ireland Michael

Jesus people. Go play something else or read a book or get some exercise or something.

59. smidgers15

just because we are outraged does not mean we spend our entire day playing ps3, we do have lives and i can say i enjoy reading and going out, but when im in the mood to play ps3, i should be able to play it, preferably online, instead of the network being down almost half the time!

60. Da Man

Just ignore him, he’s trolling.

61. Ireland Michael

@59 You’re outraged about a online service going down for a single day.

You can’t play on your PS3 for one night. Big deal. It hardly warrants cursing and “outrage”.

“Half the time” is a major over-exaggeration. I think the general quality of the service sucks, sure, but when it happens, I just go do something else. Screaming about it isn’t going to magically fix whatever hardware malfunctioned this time.

62. Meta_Dragon

Well i can’t imagine PSN to be down into tomorrow. (Hopefully). It should be up by the late evening at least.

63. smidgers15

do you agree that even though the ps3 console came with free online play, they still made billions from it, they should invest some of that money into upgrading the network instead of all these maintenance issues!

64. Da Man

Exactly.

65. smidgers15

there is no malfunction idiot its just a maintenance check up it shouldnt take over 24hours it is 100% rediculous and unacceptable

66. Meta_Dragon

It might be possible they ran into a snag, who knows. But i understand how irritating it is.

67. smidgers15

i reckon the network will be down 36+ hours, i bet when it comes to 10pm there will be another delay and so on

68. Ireland Michael

@63 That’s not how network maintenance works.

This sort of thing happens because hardware needs to be replaced on a regular basis. They obviously came across some hardware that needed serious maintenance.

I think their entire networking system needs to be severely upgraded, but Sony aren’t exactly exploding in cash right now. Even if they were, this sort of thing happens to even the biggest companies with the most up-to-date server architecture on the planet. Hardware is a fickle beast, and not one prone to always obey its masters.

*cue Skynet references*

@65 The entire purpose of server maintenance is to ensure that aren’t any problems with the hardware. A HDD could have died, a processor could have blown, a PC could have crashed. Parts need to be replaces constantly to ensure they work.

I get the impression you have no actual comprehension of just how large and complex these server infastructures are to actually operate.

69. sg1974

GMT. Everyone knows GMT.

70. Meta_Dragon

Oh, i see. Yeah, I’m not really familiar in networking. Hopefully there isn’t skynet robots running around the Sony office. Lol.

71. smidgers15

i do know how complex they are and as i and u just said, it is a check up and for a multi-million company it shouldnt take over 24 hours to locate and replace the hardware, and they should have a backup network, one that allows online gaming and nothing else! my point still stands that this is 100% rediculous

72. smidgers15

*damaged hardware*

73. meversusu

well everyone my son is playing online as i type . 356 000 on black ops 2 multiplayer we both have ps3 consoles and i cant sign in psn maintenance ???? has been playing for a couple of hours now we are in the uk

74. Laurap

I can play online as well keep getting the message for the Revolution and buy the seasonal pass even though I already have it. I get the logic of most people on here if we want to play we should be able to we did buy the games we did buy the system and telling people to go read a book is such a Douche comment to make. I read at night before I go to bed …
    I do a lot of other things like work 55 + our’s a week come home feed my Husband do laundry walk my dog and if I want to play play station in my down time then I should be able to do so… So how about we stop assuming that people have no life when this maybe something they just enjoy when they have the time. Unlike some people that have no jobs a live on these games. I work Hard so I can play Hard that’s all I got to say !!!!

75. DawnSoldier78

This is disgusting, iv always played playstation since its first launch an always will but as a person that spends money on the network to buy DLC I think they should have the common decency to finish their work when they are supposed to so I and so many others can do some serious gaming , sort it out Sony NOW!!!!!!!!!!!

76. jascott

Bad enough having a browser I cant use due to some resolution thing..now this

77. jwill3

I didn’t even have school today I just did nothing besides basketball practice all day

78. Bolts-Of-lightin

I have been a member of the PSN for 3 4 years now. i have gone out and bought a new Sony today thinking my Sony was broken. these update should be ready before use bring the game out. now i cant get on my account but in the same house my step sons can get on but i cant. this is a joke and i am seriously thinking of going to Xbox and pay a little bit more so i don’t have to put up with this nonsense.

79. Bolts-Of-lightin

PS didnt have this much trouble with MW3 and if i recall proply blackops1 had the same f***ed up problems. this is bull**** get on it you f***in s*** c****

80. Alky

For all you whiners that can’t stand 5 minutes without multiplayer, look at the shelf that has all those PS3 covers and pick one you haven’t played for a long time and just play it offline to keep yourselves amused till the maintenance is done!

81. terminator

I couldn’t play on my day off & now on the weekend they are still extending. this is ridiculous the only reason i bought the damn console, was that we get the battlefield 3 DLC two weeks early. I’m starting to regret not getting the xbox360.

82. Ireland Michael

Ell Ooh Ell at these replies.

83. Da Man

Please ignore that drunken troll, he’s just here to copy paste internet articles. Follow my example, see how well I manage to disregard his attempts at thread derailing.

84. Clupula

The only problem I had was that my system would crash when I’d try to go to the Playstation Store. Otherwise, I was playing Street Fighter X Tekken online with no problem.

85. Clupula

Just checked right now and as of 5am, New York-time, it’s working perfectly fine.

86. Dragon246

Yup, online now. Just synced trophies.

87. Emilydunnett

Well… yet another annoyance of maintenance, guys.

#87 1 year ago
  88. Emilydunnett

Looks like I’m flipping the switch to Xbox for backup. -How many dang maintenances has Sony had so far?? Someone hacking them again?? If so then STOOOOOPPPPPPPPPPPUHHHHHHLLLLEEEEAAASSSEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!
    8AM-8PM PST 4/15 PSN WILL BE UNDERGOING MAINTENANCE YET AGAIN. YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

#88 1 year ago
  89. Lengendaryboss

^ Oh Give it a rest, do you have nothing else better to do.

#89 1 year ago