Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance – Kojima wanted Gray Fox to star instead of Raiden

Friday, 18th January 2013 20:27 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Hideo Kojima has said if he’d had his way, Gray Fox would be starring in Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance instead of Raiden.

Speaking with IGN ME, Kojima said had that occurred though, he would have been forced to take a more hands-on role with the title.

“It was my staff in Kojima Productions that insisted on Raiden, and I respected their idea,” he said. “I wanted to really focus on production than development, and they wanted to come up with a really cool hack-and-slash title with some Katana action and Raiden in it, and I thought ‘okay, that’s fine, I respect that’.

“But in my personal opinion, I wanted to go for Frank Jaegar, (a.k.a. Gray Fox). But if we had gone with that, I would have had to write the script and then be really committed to creating the game.”

Kojima said he had been wanting to pass on development responsibilities to the “younger generation” on his team, and had been “trying to do so for quite some time.” Platinum Games and it’s penchant for action-slash was also eventually brought on board to help finish Revengeance in 2011.

“Before, I never could give complete responsibilities for other games, but for Revengeance, they are fully in control,” he said. “Besides, if I had created the game and directed it, it wouldn’t have been this game. I am very happy to see the growth in my team and how they have developed such an incredible game.”

Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance hits PS3 and Xbox 360 February 19 in the US and February 22 in Europe. You can try out a demo for it on January 22.

1. Stephany Nunneley

I like how in that interview he says he “likes the lighting” in that Phantom Pain trailer. Cheeky.

2. Moonwalker1982

I would have prefered Gray Fox too, not too fond of Raiden.

3. theevilaires

He can still do a Gray Fox in the time line. How about Metal Gear Revengeance just be about the Ninjas of Metal Gear Universe. Part 2 could be a prequel to this starring Gray Fox.

4. GwynbleiddiuM

@Thee Well as he said, if it had to be Grey Fox he had to write the script and design the game which would be a complete different game from what Revengeance is going to be. if it was to star Grey Fox, Kojima had to write the story in the timeline of MGS games, Revengeance is outside that timeline so Kojima don’t really need to bother himself with it, aka non-canon.

@2 These kind of comments are dangerous these days around VG247, try to keep to yourself or you might need to “grow the fuck up”.

5. Mike W

Yea Gray Fox would’ve made a better character, but I would’ve been on the fence for the story, seeing how it’s in the hands of PG.

6. Moonwalker1982

@4 So far so good man :)

7. Dark

I’m glad they’ve chosen Raiden though.

8. NeoSquall

@4 The game IS CANON.

9. osric90

@8 Never.

Anyway, Gray Fox deserves a whole different quality and narrativa videogame. It would have to be one of the best in the franchise and an official, original canon release. I would LOVE that game though, in the future.

10. YoungZer0

Fuck! That would’ve been great! Why did he have to say that?

11. Clupula

@4 – The game IS canon. But it’s canon with the story being written by the other staff at Koji Pro. It is an official title. But Kojima has a very distinct idea about what is supposed to happen to Frank Jaegar, what his history was, so that he would have to write it himself. You act as though, back when this was Metal Gear Solid Rising, it was canon but now isn’t, even though the same people supervising the story of this one were the ones writing that one. Kojima wasn’t writing it but all story details do have to go through him.

The game is 100% canon to the Metal Gear storyline. It is not like AC!D or anything which were just alt-timeline stories. Kojima just isn’t handling it himself, but if you think that he isn’t making sure nothing he disapproves of is in it, you are making a mistake.

12. Erthazus

I don’t believe that this game is based in the same universe because it looks completely different to previous MG games.

raider in the previous games could not slash Metal Gear in half, but right now he can. + it’s over the top.

MG was known for more realistic approach, but here it is a completely different feel.

P.S. anyway, I’m excited for the game.

13. Phoenixblight

Realistic my ass.

No way did the series portray realism especially the last MG.

Gray Fox is holding Metal Gear’s leg. Yeah totally realistic.

14. Clupula

@12 – You’ve never played MGS4 then, when he’s breakdancing while swinging a Gekko into others and manages to hold back an Arsenal Gear with just his legs. Keep in mind, an Arsenal Gear destroyed all of Lower Manhattan just by ramming it in MGS2. Yet, he’s able to hold it off BY HIMSELF! If you’ve only played MGS1-3, then yeah, I can see why you’d think this is a big jump, but it’s completely in line with what MGS4 showed, which was supposed to be in the future anyway.

Not to mention, Raiden’s Jack the Ripper flashbacks come after the fall of the SOP system, which previous held his psyche together, and after the fall of the Patriots, the technology they used ended up all over the net, for any government, militia, or terrorist organization that wanted it to get a hold of it. It’s all in the Codec conversations in the demo of MGR.

15. Clupula

Not to mention, one of the freedoms that Platinum Games said that they had with the game if it was after MGS4 as opposed to being between MGS2 and MGS4, is that MGS4 establishes that Raiden can do, to put it simply, a whole bunch of crazy shit (my words, not theirs) after he becomes a cyborg. They’d have to stick more to realism during the portions before his transformation if they had made this an interquel.

MGS4 Cyborg Raiden most likely could fight off a Metal Gear Ray by himself if he can kick the ass of Gekkos as easily as he does in that game. You don’t think Kojima established the character in that manner with a look towards one day letting people do all that crazy shit? Even if the idea was to have a game where the fast half was realistic, human Raiden, the second half would have still been over-the-top Devil May Cry Raiden.