Paradox boss: “I want to make games for upcoming consoles”

Thursday, 17th January 2013 23:02 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Paradox Interactive CEO Fredrik Wester wants console manufacturers – and even Steam and the App Store – to open their borders and embrace the digital revolution at last.

“If I had a wish list, I’d wish for Microsoft and Sony to be more open, too, to make it easier for all types of companies to publish all types of material online,” Wester told Gamasutra.

The executive said “content is king” for hardware manufacturers, and that he could see himself making that content if only platform holders make it possible.

“I want to make games for upcoming consoles; I am stretching out my hand saying I want to do this, and if they have a platform that suits us, it’ll be fantastic,” he added.

Unfortunately, the increasingly closed nature of various platforms puts he, and presumably Paradox Interactive, right off. Wester isn’t just talking about the PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360 and their successors; elsewhere in the article, he had some hard words for digital platforms traditionally considered indie-friendly.

“Previously, iOS was pretty open, there wasn’t that much competition and anyone would publish for that platform. Same with Windows, because Steam was really open,” he said, explaining that indies enjoyed a golden age during this time, which ended about a year ago.

“Now, it’s really tough for indies to get in there. They use Greenlight to ‘screen’ what is likely to be a success.”

Wester believes console manufacturers could make up a lot of lost ground by embracing openness.

“Five years ago the PC market was in a total decline, and the console manufacturers totally missed out on the digital download challenge, because they were worried about retailers. Now they have a chance to make up for that,” he said.

Paradox Interactive has released console games but mainly focuses on the PC, where its catalogue of core strategy and RPG titles are well-respected.

1. Maximum Payne

2. xXNapsterManXx

can i have Mount & Blade on the next xbox please and Crusader Kings 3

3. UuBuU

@2 Hell no ~ I don’t want the next M&B or CK3 being consolized.

Just get a damn PC. They’re not demanding games to run. Look at the requirements for Mount&Blade:

OS: Windows 2000/XP/Vista
    Memory: 512 MB of RAM
    Graphics: Graphics card with at least 64 MB memory
    Hard Drive: 700 MB of hard disk space

The PC I owned way back in 2002 could have run that easily.

4. YoungZer0

So it has begun.

5. xXNapsterManXx

Haha I have a PC and I love playing M&B and CK2 on it, can the master race BS for a moment while I explain that I am a lean back gamer not a lean forward gamer when I’m playing my Xbox I am very comfortable and relaxed more often then not tucked into bed but when I’m playing my PC I find that i can’t get comfortable
    while manning a keyboard and mouse

6. UuBuU

So I should get a vastly inferior game just so you can lie comfortably in bed to play it…?

The directional combat in Mount & Blade would have to be simplified and made like Skyrim in order to work with console controllers. The point and click world map would need to be changed or scrapped entirely.

In CK3, all of the micromanagement and complexity would have to be gutted for console users, to make the game more accessible, and to reduce the need for squinting when sitting far away from the screen. The UI would also have to be simplified.

This is exactly why PC gamers show such resentment for console gamers. Too many modern games cater to their casual laziness ~ and the few good PC exclusives we do have (like M&B) they whine to have put on consoles.

Either stick to console games, or stop being such a lazy prick and get out of bed to play PC games.

7. blackdreamhunk

PC market was in a total decline my foot!reasons why it’s worth to be a pcgamer

8. Cobra951

@6, you don’t have to get any console games at all. That doesn’t mean others should be deprived of them, just because you’re an elitist jerk.